Knicks overpay for Ron Baker and now all they have to offer is the min

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks overpay for Ron Baker and now all they have to offer is the min

Postby spree#8 » July 12, 2017, 1:03 pm

KRL wrote:Too much is being made of Baker's contract, the real issue is does this management team have a
plan? If they do they will:

- Have a trade for Anthony close to being done. Which will bring us cap space, a young player and a pick
- Then they can look to sign Rondo for a year to mentor Ntilikina
- Be serious about developing a young core of Porzingis, Hernangomez, Ntilikina, Hardaway, Dotson

Until I see that I'm skeptical

gradyandrew wrote:No f-ing way. That ship sailed when Butler, George, and Paul got traded and the Knicks calls went to voice mail. No team is giving up an asset for 4.7 win shares Melo. He's a tier below all those guys with an ETO if it doesn't work out. Expiring contracts is the best we can hope for- and that we don't have to send out Willy too.

Of course we look a young players and picks in every trade scenario when it comes to Melo. Whether we will get both AND cap space either this or next year remains to be seen but two of the three is the goal. A goal that should be attainable. That's why the Rockets try to get more teams involved. Hoping for just a salary dump (and even considering to ship Willy out) is not at all what this will come down to. Won't happen. Other teams want to get Melo from us and we are willing to go young. A situation that will likely result in an OK trade for us. 2 players and a pick is what it could be in the end.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » July 12, 2017, 1:06 pm

maxinquaye11 wrote:Baker
Ntlikina
THJ
Hernangomez
Porzingis

Sign Chasson Randle for whatever is left of our money.

That pg sg and sf are long and can defend with KP as help defense shot blocker.

All five players on the floor can hit the three 3pointer.

I'm most excited about natural double double Hernangomez.

No more Noah to start and get plenty of his minutes.

:? He is under contract with us.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » July 12, 2017, 1:19 pm

maxinquaye11 wrote:Baker
Ntlikina
THJ
Hernangomez
Porzingis

Sign Chasson Randle for whatever is left of our money.

That pg sg and sf are long and can defend with KP as help defense shot blocker.

All five players on the floor can hit the three 3pointer.

I'm most excited about natural double double Hernangomez.

No more Noah to start and get plenty of his minutes.

Randle is awful. He is an undersized shooting guard and can't play pg at all. Cut him.
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby Koopa Troopa » July 12, 2017, 2:27 pm

Baker can and will get smoked by every PG in the NBA. Anyone thinking otherwise is smoking crack.

PG right now is the strongest position in the entire league, I dont wanna hear shit about Baker being anything other than a 3rd string.
Koopa Troopa

Postby H20Knick » July 12, 2017, 2:43 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:Baker can and will get smoked by every PG in the NBA. Anyone thinking otherwise is smoking crack.

PG right now is the strongest position in the entire league, I dont wanna hear shit about Baker being anything other than a 3rd string.

this. he's that token coach's son who plays hard and everyone uses that as an excuse for why he gets minutes. It's like all the undergrads who do badly on their first assignment and say "but, cant you do anything? I deserve a better grade because i trieeeeeed sooo harrrrd". no one cares.

if you have to put in 1000 effort to get what another guy gets with 10 effort, you are in the wrong field.
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby taowave » July 12, 2017, 9:00 pm

And keep in mind,D is his strong suit..Guy cant shoot for shit

Koopa Troopa wrote:Baker can and will get smoked by every PG in the NBA. Anyone thinking otherwise is smoking crack.

taowave

Postby n8 the gr8 » July 12, 2017, 9:42 pm

Langston Galloway is a good barometer for Baker's value even though he's clearly better. He just got 21 million for 3 years. Baker still isn't a good contract but that makes it seem less insane.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby gradyandrew » July 14, 2017, 1:52 am

n8 the gr8 wrote:Langston Galloway is a good barometer for Baker's value even though he's clearly better. He just got 21 million for 3 years. Baker still isn't a good contract but that makes it seem less insane.

C'mon Langston has been bringing it every night for 3 years. He's a good 3 point shooter and can run faster than two guys carrying a piano, skillls Baker is still working.

Of course we look a young players and picks in every trade scenario when it comes to Melo. Whether we will get both AND cap space either this or next year remains to be seen but two of the three is the goal. A goal that should be attainable. That's why the Rockets try to get more teams involved. Hoping for just a salary dump (and even considering to ship Willy out) is not at all what this will come down to. Won't happen. Other teams want to get Melo from us and we are willing to go young. A situation that will likely result in an OK trade for us. 2 players and a pick is what it could be in the end.

That's what I don't see. I don't think Cleveland and Houston are even really that interested in trading for Melo. Cleveland is already transitioning to a post LBJ worldview, and Houston gave up all they were planning to when they traded for CP. Both teams would love to drag this out as long as possible until Melo and the Knicks admit the relationship is irrevocably damaged and agree to a buy out. Then they can get Melo as a free agent, cheap.

To me, the key ingredient from the Knicks side has to be the expirings. Without them, why even do the deal and not just take chances with Melo exercising his ETO and getting cap space that way?

I mean which of these two baskets would you put Melo into:

Basket A: DeMarcus Cousins, Paul George, Chris Paul, Jimmy Butler (the two way All-Stars)

Basket B: Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, Zach Randolph (one way and over the hill)
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 17, 2017, 5:34 am

Hate that contract, esp the player option. Aren't we rebuilding? If you really see something special in him (Im still looking), bring him for 3+ years. It just doesn't make sense :hammer:
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » July 17, 2017, 7:55 am

Lol cousins is a stud but he only plays 1 side of the floor.

But otherwise your right

Question.....if all we can get is Ryan Anderson and picks....aid you rather just release him?
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » July 17, 2017, 9:47 am

Don Che wrote:Lol cousins is a stud but he only plays 1 side of the floor.

But otherwise your right

Question.....if all we can get is Ryan Anderson and picks....aid you rather just release him?

Anderson can shoot from so deep you have to cover him as soon as he crosses half court, he just has no place on the Knicks. We want youth, athleticism and length.

To me the most desirable item is cap space next season so we can score one more quality free agent before we pay KP. If the Knicks can't land expirings then the organization is better off playing baker 36 minutes a game and hoping Melo exercises his ETO.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » July 17, 2017, 9:57 am

I don't think there's much of a chance that there is a buyout because it will basically just be guaranteeing his next season will count against the cap. Before the draft there was a chance because the hit would have been spread out over more years. But now the only buy out scenario I see is if Melo is still a knick next May and doesn't ETO. Then the Knicks would probably waive and buyout.
gradyandrew

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » July 19, 2017, 6:13 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharani ... 3356814336 could of had Rondo. Baker makes more than Rondo yeah knicks
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby Don Che » July 19, 2017, 6:24 pm

a more knicks move..is actually getting Rondo and let Baker walk

I'm good with keeping the young guys for a bit.
Don Che

Postby taowave » July 19, 2017, 6:37 pm

Motivating Melo to opt out is probably best case scenario..

How valuable do you think cap space is after another 50 loss season?

We can't" afford" another Hardaway Contract..

gradyandrew wrote:
To me the most desirable item is cap space next season so we can score one more quality free agent before we pay KP. If the Knicks can't land expirings then the organization is better off playing baker 36 minutes a game and hoping Melo exercises his ETO.
taowave

Postby gradyandrew » July 20, 2017, 9:02 am

taowave wrote:Motivating Melo to opt out is probably best case scenario..

How valuable do you think cap space is after another 50 loss season?

We can't" afford" another Hardaway Contract..

I think cap space will always be the most valuable asset a team can have because they can use it to squeeze draft picks out of teams that need to trade for space or find players fitting team needs. Look at those motherfuckers in Philadelphia, this season still signing Reddick to a huge one year contract so they can dangle him for picks all season. I hate those dickwads.
gradyandrew

Postby taowave » July 20, 2017, 9:09 am

LOL!!!!!!

I think some hope for the future and a true culture change may help as well..

I honestly dont see how the extra year of Melos cap hit outweighs the nonsense that will follow if this mess isn't resolved..

KP is already on thin ice..And its not like the first time Dumblin has found himself in this situation.

gradyandrew wrote:
I think cap space will always be the most valuable asset a team can have because they can use it to squeeze draft picks out of teams that need to trade for space or find players fitting team needs. Look at those motherfuckers in Philadelphia, this season still signing Reddick to a huge one year contract so they can dangle him for picks all season. I hate those dickwads.
taowave

Postby nick78 » July 20, 2017, 10:15 am

Ron better show some major improvement coming into training camp, especially shooting wise to justify this.
nick78

Postby cragganmor » July 20, 2017, 4:23 pm

I get the feeling that knick mgt is all in with identifying talent and sticking with them for the long term, guys they grow into effective players. If ron becomes a capable rotation player, then he'll be a bargain at $4.5m; the salary is a measure of how much they believe in him.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » July 20, 2017, 4:36 pm

same with Tim...he will play to his contract.

Not a crazy concept...if Ron is in our 9 man rotation we got a steal and I think he will.
Don Che

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks