Barrett is a sloppy player

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Barrett is a sloppy player

Postby spree#8 » July 10, 2019, 2:15 pm

NewlyKnicked wrote:Honestly, not much better. Shot was falling a bit more and he does put effort in rebounding but his assists weren't anything special, mostly handoffs except the very first lob to Knox.
However, SL is useless, just a money making machine. Let's see after 2-3 months of real competition what we have in our hands

:? SL may be useless to draw any big conclusions from, but it certainly is no money machine and isn't useless for players trying to get into the NBA. There is no other time in the year where as much NBA personnel is in one place. It is like a big NBA family gathering and newbies have the opportunity to be welcomed into the family. Very important for guys on the brink.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » July 10, 2019, 2:37 pm

taowave wrote:Not really,,I said 5 assists,not 6 :)

How did he look last night?

The 4th quarter is well worth a look.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » July 10, 2019, 3:26 pm

RJ will do just fine this year...can rebound/pass very good for a wing
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 10, 2019, 4:09 pm

spree#8 wrote::? SL may be useless to draw any big conclusions from, but it certainly is no money machine and isn't useless for players trying to get into the NBA. There is no other time in the year where as much NBA personnel is in one place. It is like a big NBA family gathering and newbies have the opportunity to be welcomed into the family. Very important for guys on the brink.

These games are televised and thus produce money. They wouldn't exist if not profitable.
https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/ar ... 9ce04.html

Yes a couple of players will find contracts after nice showings, but I think the same period invested in workouts and auditions with the same players would be much less hazardous and give way better results in terms of identifying guys that should be in the NBA but went unnoticed for some reason
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby spree#8 » July 10, 2019, 5:12 pm

NewlyKnicked wrote:
Yes a couple of players will find contracts after nice showings, but I think the same period invested in workouts and auditions with the same players would be much less hazardous and give way better results in terms of identifying guys that should be in the NBA but went unnoticed for some reason

Definitely not, because the way it is NBA and overseas personnel and scouts can watch invitees of more than 30 teams. That's an unparalleled job audition for players wanting to get pros. BTW: what exactly is hazardrous about a few pick-up games in the summer? I have no idea what's not to like here. That we fans can watch it on TV/video streams is a plus, not a must and certainly not what SL is made for.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby bobhait » July 10, 2019, 5:45 pm

we drafted RJ less than three weeks ago. a bit more patience, perhaps? let’s wait until after the first preseason game until we start contemplating trading him.
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby spree#8 » July 10, 2019, 5:57 pm

bobhait wrote:we drafted RJ less than three weeks ago. a bit more patience, perhaps? let’s wait until after the first preseason game until we start contemplating trading him.

Yeah, I thought he might be the first guy since Ward that gets a rookie extension and some Knicks fans are ready to give up on him after one or two SL games. :sadno:
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby HOF19 » July 10, 2019, 6:59 pm

Watching PTI (Pardon The Interruption) just now on ESPN .They are having a surprise guest tonight …..Steven A. Smith . They asked everyone to give a one word answer to "Reaction to what you see from R J Barrett " . Steven A. Smith's one word answer was "Leery ".
HOF19

Postby gradyandrew » July 10, 2019, 7:12 pm

Wonder why we have a hard time attracting players.

Hey, RJ said he wanted this so hopefully he uses the haterz for motivation. On the other hand, a couple of his teammates have been talking about helping him win the ROY.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 11, 2019, 5:45 am

spree#8 wrote:Definitely not, because the way it is NBA and overseas personnel and scouts can watch invitees of more than 30 teams. That's an unparalleled job audition for players wanting to get pros. BTW: what exactly is hazardrous about a few pick-up games in the summer? I have no idea what's not to like here. That we fans can watch it on TV/video streams is a plus, not a must and certainly not what SL is made for.

I respectfully disagree with you spree.

True, SL could be a really nice tool to evaluate a huge crowd of prospects, undraftees, borderline GLeaguers, international prospects... It certainly was at first but in reality, it has become a long string of pickups games with ASG intensity level to make more money to the industry and keep fans happy because preseason + 82 games all year long just doesn't cut it.
Let's see our roster and how minutes are distributed. If the plan was to really evaluate the guys who are borderline to make the team or go to Westchester, why do we give all the minutes to Mitch, Knox, RJ, Braz and Kadeem? Those guys are on the team (or at worst with Westchester), no questions asked. Hell Trier would get his fair share if he wasn't sick. Are we really evaluating these guys or do we want to put them on display to please the crowd, sell tickets and rise the TV adds price per minute? Tell me, spree, why does Hinton or King play some more? They're supposed to be the guys we should be testing, aren't they? Are you able to tell me what they're worth based on these 4 games? We don't even play for the title anymore for god's sake (whatever its worth would be anyway).
If the purpose is to discover hidden gems, then glorified pickup games with hardly any minutes for the real prospects wouldn't be the way I'd go about it. If the goal is team bonding, take those kids through boot camp or something. If you wantt to test team chemistry or something, maybe do that after some training sessions to teach some of the systems...

SL is more and more about entertainment, and less and less about scouting, its original purpose.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby spree#8 » July 11, 2019, 6:56 am

Of course the first goal is to evaluate the young guys that will be on your roster, so I don't see your point. SL is great for doing that.

The fringe guys practice with you (maybe even while being watched by scouts from other teams) and can be tested in game situations. Everyone can talk to everyone, so again, the big plus is the ability to get to know NBA personnel. It's a great networking session. Whether you - as a fan - like the product on the court is not important. SL is not for us, it's for the league and professional players and wannabes.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Mr. Glass » July 11, 2019, 8:06 am

An extension of the combine in some ways. If I were in Vegas I'd go see it.

Barrett getting progressively better eh BRIGGS? Really though, a few good games hardly mean anything either but a welcoming sight to see nonetheless.
“Why is Gamora?”

-Drax
Mr. Glass

Postby gradyandrew » July 11, 2019, 11:00 am

Anyone else digging on RJs posture? Mitchell looks hunched over all the time, Zo looks ready to slip right past you, and Knoxs head kind of jut forwards, and then you have a RJ with his straight back and old school shorts. I'd pick his silhouette as a 40 year old ex military dad going for an interview, not a 19 year old kid.
Last edited by gradyandrew on July 11, 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby thewatcher » July 11, 2019, 11:02 am

RJ has picked up great instincts playing at Duke under a coach k. He looks for Mitch big time xx like he's Zion. I've seen him use the right hand multiple times because that's what the defense is giving him
. He's pass first and a great kid. A banger at age 19. He reminds me of Bernard king. And Paul Pierce.# team Barrett. :drunk: yeah Grady, he's a straight arrow.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Don Che » July 11, 2019, 12:26 pm

if he focuses on passing hes gonna help us win a lot of games...kid competes
Don Che

Postby taowave » July 11, 2019, 1:00 pm

What I do like about RJ is he is competes and doesnt back down,regardless how badly he is shooting..

Rebounding is about effort and desire,and you can see how good a rebounder he is.Thats a major plus...

Interestingly,he may have some of the very same growing pains as Frank.Shot obviously needs work,handle is not great,and hes going to have to figure out how to use his size advantage effectively..

Unlike Frank,he oozes confidence

Don Che wrote:if he focuses on passing hes gonna help us win a lot of games...kid competes
taowave

Postby Don Che » July 11, 2019, 1:24 pm

https://youtu.be/5hOv8GG0hEI

I think Frank is taking strides in that...his form/hand speed has taken leaps since his rookie year. As the guy in the vid says it looks like Frank is growing into his body
Don Che

Postby taowave » July 11, 2019, 3:35 pm

His body looks much stronger...He came into the league really soft,looking like a gangly teenager that never hit the weights...

Ild like to see him and Barret together..

Don Che wrote:https://youtu.be/5hOv8GG0hEI

I think Frank is taking strides in that...his form/hand speed has taken leaps since his rookie year. As the guy in the vid says it looks like Frank is growing into his body
taowave

Postby Don Che » July 11, 2019, 4:40 pm

Frank and RJ def makes sense...the question is who fits better next to them

could be Dennis...having 3 creators on the floor that can push the pace and rebound

could be Knox...big line up adding another shooter

interestingly enough...i think defensively Dennis with those 2 would be better...also faster.

Knox's shooting is needed though...having creators mean nothing if no one can space the floor.

it really depends on the the progress of Dennis/Frank/RJ's shooting is and Knox's progress as a defender.

Throwing Payton into that is also an option but I'd rather figure that out the players on rookie scale contracts first.

if Dennis and Frank can get to 35% from 3 and up....next to RJ they would cause havoc esp throwing Randle who also creates into the mix.

when it comes to potential Dennis/RJ/Randle have all star potential to me and Frank would be the perfect guy with that group IF HE CAN GET HIS SHOT RIGHT...He could be our Bruce Bowen type player..guard 1 to 3 and hit open 3's and on a pinch he can create enough to allow all of our offensive power players to work off the ball and Frank wont cry about shot attempts...allows those 3 guys as much as possible to get their numbers.

Frank/Mitch have all defensive team potential and i'd rather maximize that
Don Che

Postby NYGM » July 11, 2019, 11:19 pm

taowave wrote:His body looks much stronger...He came into the league really soft,looking like a gangly teenager that never hit the weights...

Ild like to see him and Barret together..

Also looked heavy last season.. Now he looks fit..

I'm not sure he's grown though..
NYGM

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks