2017-2018 Tank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Don Che
Likes given: 9

for real...this should just be a draft thread for next year.

I really dont think you guys know what tanking really is.

Last year with the talent we had...it felt like a tank but the year we won 17 games..we didnt tank..Fisher had those guys competing as high as they could go. Fisher would probably have this team now playing a high level...but the best that roster can do....was 17-20 games.

This roster this year...its too green to tell. Frank is too important to this roster and we havent seen him play.

for example if hes a Lonzo Ball type PG(pass first) with solid defense....is entirely different if hes Dante Exum in his rookie year and based on what i've seen..he could easily be either one.

He didnt shoot well but he didnt play summer league and he passed the ball rather well in his small time...if our bigs hit layups hed ahve a lot more assists that game but he makes the right reads and PG's these days dont make the right basic reads all the time.

Stockton had no flash to his game but he made the right reads 98% of the time
BRIGGS
Likes given: 0

This is the worst sentiment starting a season that I can remember.

If the Knicks feel they have what they think they have--KP star Willy great player other intangibles--then sentiment wouldnt be this low.

We need a PG who makes players better and can hit a 3 and an athletic 3 man.
Don Che

to be fair....a lot of the jadedness coming from this forum is because of our history of the last 17 years and the fact we havent seen Frank play for a long amount of time.

If Frank was playing and showed good signs ppl would be a lot happier around here.
shakespeare

BRIGGS wrote:This is the worst sentiment starting a season that I can remember.
I'm excited, cause once the '18 Draft rolls around, New York has a chance to add another high lottery pick to the roster.
#TeamTank
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

#1 Cavs 56-26
#2 Celtics 47-35
#3 Hornets 46-36
#4 Wizards 46-36
#5 Raptors 45-37
#6 Bucks 44-38
#7 Heat 40-42
#8 76ers 40-42
#9 Magic 37-45
#10 Pistons 35-47
#11 Pacers 32-50
#12 Knicks 30-52
#13 Nets 29-53
#14 Bulls 27-55
#15 Hawks 26-56

538 standings are out they think we will have the 5th worse record in the nba. Although I think Nets will be better than us,.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... &t=1623782
Fxck Adam Silver
Koopa Troopa

shakespeare wrote: I'm excited, cause once the '18 Draft rolls around, New York has a chance to add another high lottery pick to the roster.
Im already having withdrawal of not trading all the young talent and draft picks away for an aging (and injury prone) star. :drunk:
ISIAH_THOMAS

Don Che wrote:KD was taller/better wingspan /better handles and slightly more athletic than Porter....Porter is a more athletic Gallinari than KD IMO which is still great but not an "all talent" great like KD
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2735 ... -prospects they compare porter to gallinari as well
Fxck Adam Silver
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer
Barring some unforeseen setback, both Frank Ntilikina (knee) and Kristaps Porzingis (hip) will play in the Knicks' season opener Thursday.
Sounds good. Obviously getting as many games in this season as possible would be good for their development. Hoping for 75 to 82 games each though this might be a dream...

Posting it here because this might be the season thread.
#knickstape
Don Che

Even tho based off preseason we suck but..........none of those guys or even players they are compared to is worth tanking over. And Bagley isn't in the same stratosphere as Garnett was at 18. Not even a contest based off what I saw from him but he's smaller and less athletic... he'd maximize his talent if he ends up being bosh
taowave
Likes given: 817

Plan A = tank

Plan B = sign quality free agents..

You say nobody wants to come here??

The absence of a negative may just be a positive

Phil Jackson had a less-than-stellar experience as the president of basketball operations of the Knicks. He alienated star Carmelo Anthony to the point where he requested a trade, and apparently made Kristaps Porzingis so angry he skipped out on exit meetings. New York was a public and private disaster under his watch, and eventually he was relieved of his duties.
Everybody thought they knew the worst of it, but as more details come out, the situation in New York was that much worse. The Knicks have struggled to pull in big-name free agents, but under Jackson their efforts were made even more difficult by what ESPN described as horror stories. On the Woj pod with Knicks beat writer Ian Begley, the two discussed Jackson and New York. They didn't hold back.

I heard some horror stories about Phil in presentation situations with players - unprepared, just disorganized. And sometimes, he'd have Steve Mills in there, who'd try to re-direct him. But I know of a couple players who walked out of meetings in a couple different free-agent scenarios and, "Wow, that was Phil Jackson? That's not how I imagined he'd be."

It's one thing to have a bad pitch or make a mistake in a free agency meeting, but it's another to be completely unprepared. Sometimes players just make their decision based on money and/or location, but some players are highly sought after and have plenty of options to choose from. If players walking out of meetings stunned at how unprepared Jackson was, then the Knicks were going to struggle bringing in anybody, let alone big names.

Perhaps now that Jackson and the Knicks have moved on from each other New York will have better luck in free agency. They'll at worst be more prepared for the meetings.
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

Tao the king of confidential sources. :hmm:

Interesting though.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
rebound
Likes given: 1104

Nets lose Lin for the season.
Suns look like a gleague team.
Mirotic and Portis will miss games due to the fight.

competition will be stiff.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
ISIAH_THOMAS

knick luck now we possibly have another team worse than us. Cavs about to be gifted a great prospect
Fxck Adam Silver
taowave
Likes given: 817

Nets will be better with Crabbe starting and having Russel be the Man
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Doesn't matter. The Nets would've been as bad as our team even with Lin. That being said: if we are the worst team in the league, I'm fine with it, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it right now. If KP develops as we hope, I don't think we can even be THAT bad to begin with, so I'm certainly not rooting for us to be the worst and while I'm at it losing sleep when another team presumably gets worse.
#knickstape
shakespeare

taowave wrote:Plan A = Tank
#TeamTank
rebound
Likes given: 1104

0-2

fierce competition: suns, bulls, sixers, lakers, pacers, kings, nets, mavs, hawks

hopefully lakers look much improved with KCP
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
Don Che

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... -Long-Term

this is why I dont feel "tanking" is good....we have to compete. These last 2 games have shown that.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

rebound wrote:0-2

fierce competition: suns, bulls, sixers, lakers, pacers, kings, nets, mavs, hawks

hopefully lakers look much improved with KCP
i'd say suns and bulls are def worse than us.

76ers and lakers will be better soon enough. nets and mavs are already a better team than us.

hawks are completely schroeder dependent and kings' record will reflect george hill's health
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
gradyandrew

The Knicks will be so shitty closing out games that any team remotely trying to win will get one, the real interesting matchups will be between the equally shitty teams. I'm already circling our two games vs Phoenix.
Randle in the Rafters