2017-2018 Tank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2017-2018 Tank

Postby nazrmohamed » January 8, 2018, 12:26 am

I don't think they are similar at all. Jaren Jackson has more of an upright game suited to PF/C. Both can shoot but Jackson would be a better shooter for a C than Bagley is at PF, from just a pure shooting stroke.

Bagley is much more of an attacker and in today's NBA fits more as a pick and roll attacker and someone who pretty much just throws himself at the basket. Overall, considering the pack of go to moves at this point I think Bagley has way more potential. I'd definitely take Bagley and move KP to C. It's really tough Don.

You can make a great case for any of these guys and then after 7 it drops hard.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » January 8, 2018, 12:02 pm

I just meant they are similar in build both 6'11 240 range but JJJ is bigger and better wingspan...Bagley is a more fluid athlete.

I think if you get KP/Bagley frontline...you'd have to get a tough 240 pound 3 man....id give Nigel Hayes a look as a D/3 type guy just because on offense KP/Bagley are basically threats at all points of the floor. Defensively we will struggle on the boards but our defense on the perimeter should sky rocket.

I'm open to either idea but this pick is a huge one to describe our identity...itll either solidify KP as a 5 or 4 or both...Frank as a 1 or 2 or both and in the top 7...I dont see any SF's there..Doncic to me is a Harden type guy...hes a wing that defends the worst player on the other team and hope he drops 25/10 by year 4 in his career...otherwise these guys are frontline players and Trae Young in that top 7.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » January 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Just a heads up: the trade deadline is earlier this year. Exactly in one month on February 8.

Seemingly not much going on though (according to Wojnarowski):

As one general manager, consistent with ESPN's conversations with his peers, said: "It is pretty slow so far. Nobody seems desperate to get into the playoffs. The tankers are sellers, but asking prices are too high."
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » January 8, 2018, 2:11 pm

hence...this whole "trade Kanter/Lee/Lance/Willy" for 4 1st rounders is just not a realistic possibility.

give Kanter his time so he can opt out
kyle will opt out

...let them go

simple as that.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » January 8, 2018, 2:27 pm

Don Che wrote:hence...this whole "trade Kanter/Lee/Lance/Willy" for 4 1st rounders is just not a realistic possibility.

give Kanter his time so he can opt out
kyle will opt out

...let them go or resign them at the right price tag

simple as that.

Fixed.

But I would still look to trade KOQ if we are not in playoff contention anymore at the deadline. Doesn't hurt to add a (second-round) pick and create playing time for Willy/Noah if we don't expect to resign O'Quinn. He is playing so well right now though, that we are (sadly for Willy) in no rush.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » January 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Spree...if we didnt have 17 mill per in Noah/ Investment in Willy and a pending Max extension with KP..i'd agree

but even at that right price your adding up too much money on a position in basketball that barely exists. I'd only invest in them if they were winning us a ring within those contracts. Since they arent..its best to let them walk and use that money elsewhere.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » January 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Don Che wrote:Spree...if we didnt have 17 mill per in Noah/ Investment in Willy and a pending Max extension with KP..i'd agree

but even at that right price your adding up too much money on a position in basketball that barely exists. I'd only invest in them if they were winning us a ring within those contracts. Since they arent..its best to let them walk and use that money elsewhere.

Depends on the price tag. Also: we can try to move Willy for another prospect on a rookie contract at another position. Or in combination with our own pick to trade up (into the top 5 for example). Lots of possibilities. Another also: Kanter is IMO likely to opt in, so it is not even our decision to "let him walk". You have to look at every opportunity, so "just let them walk" is not my preferred strategy right now.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » January 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

Kanter is having a dam good year...maybe he opts in so him and KP can decide their fate together but idt thats the lane of thought. Kanter is finally starting and getting good numbers..i think he opts out for a long term deal.

i would love a Willy/12th pick for top 5 dream trade but...we all been at this for years how many times do we wish for these type of deals and how many times has it actually happened? so nah i do think thats the lane of possibilities.

letting them walk is never the popular route but its better than signing Kanter for 4 years 40 mill(which is so far below his value) purely looking at the contracts in his position. Kanter cant guard multiple positions. so your basically saying...lets run 4 bigs

in a modern NBA for another couple years...and thats just asking for trouble. We need a big that can switch on pick and rolls and contain them. Only big we have that has a chance at that...is making 17 mill a year and is our 5th big on the depth chart lmao

so if you look for trades and you dont get wings for all these bigs..its better to let them walk and use that money to sign multi faceted defenders/shooters for cheap.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » January 9, 2018, 3:14 pm

Looking at the schedule: if we want to stay in the playoff hunt, we should go 5-2 over the next seven to get over .500.

vs. CHI (W)
@MIN (L)
vs. NO (W)
@BRO (W)
@MEM (W/L)
@UTAH (L/W)
@LAK (W)
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » January 9, 2018, 5:15 pm

yeh this is a time to show up and prove what they wanna be....cuz watching these Bagley/Ayton/JJJ/Doncic highlights got me HYPE lol

but im good with Troy Brown Jr. also so go win it if thats where their minds are.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » January 9, 2018, 6:04 pm

Don Che wrote:yeh this is a time to show up and prove what they wanna be....cuz watching these Bagley/Ayton/JJJ/Doncic highlights got me HYPE lol

but im good with Troy Brown Jr. also so go win it if thats where their minds are.

Yeah, his footage looks very promising as a fit for our team.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » January 9, 2018, 8:36 pm

Reminds me a lot of Evan turner but has more talent at a younger age
Don Che

Postby PistolPete » January 10, 2018, 2:31 am

I like Diallo more and more as a serious option for NY in the draft. Local kid and probably the best athlete in the class. Had a decent game tonight against A&M.

Diallo and Vanderbilt are my top 2 choices right now.
PistolPete

Postby Don Che » January 10, 2018, 8:54 am

If diallo is bring considered that means we go on a run and land the 6-7 seed.. he's a good athlete but has a small frame and still more of an athlete playing a sport rather than playing a sport while being an athlete

I was curious last year before we took Frank and paid Tim.

Is Vanderbilt ever gonna play this year? Lol
Don Che

Postby Don Che » January 10, 2018, 11:54 am

Someone posted this in realgm...a mock draft from theringer.com has us taking Troy

as I mentioned yesterday...I'm completely good with this if we are a playoff team or close to it. If he's able to make his shot a strength of his game in the NBA....he can be the steal we need in the mid lottery

13. New York Knicks: Troy Brown

Shooting guard, Oregon, freshman (6-foot-7, 215 pounds, 18 years old)

Chau: Oregon’s been disappointing early in conference play, but freshman Troy Brown has looked good over the past month, averaging 12.9 points (on 45.7 percent shooting, 39.3 from 3), 8.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 1.4 steals per game since December began.

A lot of Brown’s pros and cons overlap with the Knicks’ point guard of the future in Frank Ntilikina: Brown is a smart, jack-of-all-trades type of 3-and-D guard with good creative instincts but a noticeable lack of high-end athleticism. Ntilikina was one of the youngest players in the 2017 draft, and Brown will be one of the youngest in this year’s — and the best thing you could say about either of them is how mature their games are. Loading up on interchangeable players who play a fundamentally sound brand of basketball isn’t the worst way to build up a franchise led by a unicorn.
Don Che

Postby PistolPete » January 10, 2018, 4:56 pm

Don Che wrote:
Is Vanderbilt ever gonna play this year? Lol

I rather he not lol. He needs to fly low on the radar for the Knicks. Didn't realize he was somewhat of a Point Forward with great handles, and that could certainly help this team.
PistolPete

Postby Don Che » January 10, 2018, 5:15 pm

true...but thats also a sign that his foot injury is a problem...i think he had a foot problem in HS also.
Don Che

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » January 11, 2018, 2:11 pm

Up to 12 now with the clippers beating warriors last night
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby spree#8 » January 11, 2018, 3:31 pm

Diallo looks too raw for my liking ATM. But I'll check him out again later this season.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby shakespeare » January 11, 2018, 3:44 pm

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Up to 12 now with the clippers beating warriors last night

I just saw. It didn’t sound right, so I checked the box score and saw where The Splash Brothers didn’t play. Hard to believe Lou Williams outchea dropping 50 points.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks