2017-2018 Tank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2017-2018 Tank

Postby NYGM » February 3, 2018, 8:01 pm

cragganmor wrote:i think sj can be had pretty easily. svg has given up on him. the kid can defend but is an offensive liability, streaky at best and needs to break down his game, get to the fundamentals, get honest with himself.

I'm worried about spacing with Stanley or Justice..

The reason why BOS can play Jaylen and Jason together is because both can shoot, they skillset makes them compatible..

Jaylen Brown developed his jumper way faster than Wislow or Jhonson..

Frank's form looks good to me, THJ is streaky as they come, but Kanter and some player like SJ would be serious spacing problems for us..

My deam scenario is Frank groing 3 inches and becoming our own Nicolas Batum..
NYGM

Postby NYGM » February 3, 2018, 8:25 pm

Watching MIA vs DET right now..

Winslow and Johnson (both starting) looking really bad.. Both are around 6'6 at beast..
NYGM

Postby lxn_ » February 4, 2018, 12:36 pm

at this point id prefer winslow over sj even though stanley has more playoff experience. Winslow is currently shooting above 40% on 3s, and he has a good shooting stroke while johnson's look a bit awkward to me.

And tbh im really bummed we didnt get to sign tony allen during the summer. Imagine having him mentor Frank. Hes in chicago on a 1.5m/1yr deal.

Hes one of the best defenders of all time(closest to become the kobe stopper according to kobe himself) and managed to have a long nba career even though he could not hit a wide open 3. I just think for us to speed things up we need a vet, preferably a defensive minded guy whos also a champ on a bargain contract and he fit the bill.
lxn_

Postby NYGM » February 4, 2018, 12:40 pm

lxn_ wrote:at this point id prefer winslow over sj even though stanley has more playoff experience. Winslow is currently shooting above 40% on 3s, and he has a good shooting stroke while johnson's look a bit awkward to me.

And tbh im really bummed we didnt get to sign tony allen during the summer. Imagine having him mentor Frank. Hes in chicago on a 1.5m/1yr deal.

Hes one of the best defenders of all time(closest to become the kobe stopper according to kobe himself) and managed to have a long nba career even though he could not hit a wide open 3. I just think for us to speed things up we need a vet, preferably a defensive minded guy whos also a champ on a bargain contract and he fit the bill.

Neither of them being a offensive threat really..

But what makes be doubt more is their height, they seem to be too short to play SF IMO.. We already have THJ, Lee and even Dotson as SG sometimes playing out of position..
NYGM

Postby rebound » February 4, 2018, 3:20 pm

shame the nets cant help but tank for the cavs.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby rebound » February 4, 2018, 3:32 pm

Looks like I'm a Lakers fan this season.
If they win today the Knicks will be 1 loss back of 9th worst record.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby rebound » February 4, 2018, 5:43 pm

lakers beat the thunder on the road. they should definitely end up with a better record than these knicks.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby rebound » February 4, 2018, 7:20 pm

who are you guys liking at 9 or 10?
Team Mills
rebound

Postby big_j_NY » February 4, 2018, 7:22 pm

rebound wrote:who are you guys liking at 9 or 10?

Both "Bridges" will be available in the Top 10 (Miles and Mikal)..........both athletic wings that are direly needed for this "unathletic" squad.

Either one of the two Bridges would be great for this squad, unless there is a better player available (which anything is possible in the draft)
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby NYGM » February 4, 2018, 8:32 pm

rebound wrote:who are you guys liking at 9 or 10?

We need a higher pick..

Or find a Kuzma type..
NYGM

Postby Don Che » February 4, 2018, 9:19 pm

You mean a player that plays like Kuzma or talent later in the draft?
Don Che

Postby noypi » February 4, 2018, 9:20 pm

You cannot contain the tank...

Get into top 5 but I'd be okay with Sexton, Miles, Mikal, Knox.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby nazrmohamed » February 4, 2018, 9:54 pm

Don Che wrote:You mean a player that plays like Kuzma or talent later in the draft?

Nobody says it can't happen Don, just that we were never really good enough to be content with those odds of landing an impactful player. But you gotta know how to scout late in the draft and you gotta get lucky. But chances are you just aren't gonna get the upper tier of players. But sure, Lee and Nate, Shumpert, Fields. You got a great team already and these guys are awesome finds. You stink and they dont move the needle enough.

We need a pick in that range in addition to a top 10 pick. Would love to land a Bridges (assuming were at pick 10) and then later a guy like Skai Alexander. What's good is after the top ten all the draft sites are all oo ever the place so there's sure to be dark horse players in there.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby NYGM » February 5, 2018, 5:59 am

Don Che wrote:You mean a player that plays like Kuzma or talent later in the draft?

That kind of talent.. An impact kind of talent at 10-12..
NYGM

Postby Don Che » February 5, 2018, 9:02 am

Kuzma was taken MUCH later in the draft but that 10-12 range you can still get some solid talent possible all star talent

Sexton is a top 10 pick and I don't see all star when I see him....I think Musa can be a real impact player if he's given the green light (I know that's bold) but my point is you can easily get a stud at 10 -12...... and I think we can get another great find in the 2nd round if we get lucky.
Don Che

Postby NYGM » February 5, 2018, 9:52 am

Don Che wrote:Kuzma was taken MUCH later in the draft but that 10-12 range you can still get some solid talent possible all star talent

Sexton is a top 10 pick and I don't see all star when I see him....I think Musa can be a real impact player if he's given the green light (I know that's bold) but my point is you can easily get a stud at 10 -12...... and I think we can get another great find in the 2nd round if we get lucky.

We're definitely going to need a great find.. I see this as one of the last chances to get that kind of player.. When I say Kuzma is about his overall impact, he's playing like a lotto pick from the start..

Hopefully next year we can be talking about a playoff berth with KP, THJ, Frank, Burke, Dotson and company.. We must be a young playoff team to make some noise in the 2019 free agency IMO..
NYGM

Postby shakespeare » February 5, 2018, 10:38 am

Just a thought, but are we really content with drafting Sexton or any point guard in the first round when we just drafted Ntili and Burke is supposedly part of the future?
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Rusty La Rue » February 5, 2018, 11:27 am

I would be if he is clearly the best player available when we draft... I believe he could work Ntilikina as Frank can defend SG... Is he my preferred option... no way... But I fell we need to go with the best player available in this draft...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby nazrmohamed » February 5, 2018, 12:26 pm

shakespeare wrote:Just a thought, but are we really content with drafting Sexton or any point guard in the first round when we just drafted Ntili and Burke is supposedly part of the future?

So I been thinking about this question allot and the answer for me is this:

If you thought you were truly a playoff team would you start Ntilikina or Burke TODAY? Have they given you REAL indication that they will be solid starters going forward?

I'd say the answer is no. Now that doesn't mean I've given up on Frank, he's 19 and can still develop. He's shown sporadic glimpses but put it this way, if your career depended on his development would you not explore other opportunities? So that's more of a risk question now I'll talk about benefit

We have seen glimpses of Burke and Frank playing well together, us playing essentially a 2pg backcourt ( just don't tell max) and I personally don't think there's much to take from it considering our record, but in a bubble it's intriguing. Well I'm not gonna fool myself into thinking Burk is anything more than a 2nd to 3rd string PG but it was an educational excersize in what could be. Well take those lessons and apply it to what could be of a Sexton/Frank backcourt, where Sexton is a legitimate lottery talent PG. The guy can score, get to the rim on anybody, has great physique and athleticism at PG. Plus he's a decent defender, maybe not on the specialty level of Frank but together they should make a good defensive backcourt.

Now keep in mind I'm not solely endorsing signing Sexton. I like both Bridges at this spot and there are other guys that could fall but I'm just making the argument that I wouldn't be discouraged if it were to happen either. Sexton is a solid player who before Trae burst onto the scene was considered the best guard in the draft. I'd be happy to have him and we could use his skills, regardless of Frank.

Burke is....c'mon man, I aint making decisions based on Burke.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » February 5, 2018, 12:35 pm

Which is why Burke and Frank should get major PT.

Fyi,Frank's knee is acting up again
taowave

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks