Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Postby big_j_NY » December 3, 2017, 6:29 pm

thewatcher wrote:^^Exactly BigJ..that was the GREAT take-away from this game!! :happy:

Too bad Jeff gives Frank zero confidence to continue doing that........especially today's instance when he had a good streak going then Jeff yanks him out just to let Sessions finish the game :sadno:

And we wonder why Frank plays scared a good portion of the time
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby thewatcher » December 4, 2017, 12:59 pm

Frank showed me flashes of the future last game, the mid-range game, kind of reminded me a little of Clyde, he got about 15 feet away and shot over the shorter guard. This is going to be the way this kid gets buckets, he's going to unload on the league and it could be as soon as next game ,, or as late as next year. :popcorn:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby spree#8 » December 4, 2017, 1:19 pm

big_j_NY wrote:Finally, Frank is showing signs of developing a post game

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/937430323528429569

We are 19 games into his NBA career.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby big_j_NY » December 4, 2017, 2:47 pm

An early sign is a great thing, spree 8-)
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 4, 2017, 3:09 pm

Excellent... I only caught the end of the game so I missed that. This is what we want to see. Now what would be even better is if they can throw some money at someone like Gary Payton to work with the kid a bit in the offseason. Or anyone of that caliber. Would be great.
Koopa Troopa

Postby Don Che » December 4, 2017, 3:36 pm

stockton...PLEASE LAWD
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » December 4, 2017, 5:03 pm

Post of the Day.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby spree#8 » December 5, 2017, 1:13 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:
Excellent... I only caught the end of the game so I missed that. This is what we want to see. Now what would be even better is if they can throw some money at someone like Gary Payton to work with the kid a bit in the offseason. Or anyone of that caliber. Would be great.

I wonder where you got that idea that only great former players can show young guys something. Usually the best players are very bad coaches, while some of the best coaches haven't even played in the NBA. Making statements about assistant coaches and the composition of coaching staffs in general without observing the practice sessions is absurd IMO - especially when it comes to player development.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby StevoStarks » December 5, 2017, 1:30 pm

Jeff Van Gundy and Scott Brooks for example.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » December 5, 2017, 2:09 pm

I wonder where you got that idea that only great former players can show young guys something. Usually the best players are very bad coaches, while some of the best coaches haven't even played in the NBA. Making statements about assistant coaches and the composition of coaching staffs in general without observing the practice sessions is absurd IMO - especially when it comes to player development.

What you're talking about and what he's talking about are two different things though. Really what he means is a trainer to which I think former greats would be excellent at. One trainer, 1-5 guys just teaching them skills and nuances of the game.

What you described is a coach to which I'd agree that rarely do greats get coaching because they didn't necessarily have to have great habits and were typically given more room top freelance thier whole careers. Role players do well because they didn't have the talent level to be spared from those things and with fewer opportunities to fail, had to play the right way to get playing time. Most know that playbook inside out. So obviously these things carry over to thier coaching careers. Not to mention important stuff like staff management and media interaction
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 5, 2017, 3:16 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:
What you're talking about and what he's talking about are two different things though. Really what he means is a trainer to which I think former greats would be excellent at. One trainer, 1-5 guys just teaching them skills and nuances of the game.

What you described is a coach to which I'd agree that rarely do greats get coaching because they didn't necessarily have to have great habits and were typically given more room top freelance thier whole careers. Role players do well because they didn't have the talent level to be spared from those things and with fewer opportunities to fail, had to play the right way to get playing time. Most know that playbook inside out. So obviously these things carry over to thier coaching careers. Not to mention important stuff like staff management and media interaction

Right. And regardless whoever is working behind the scenes on the Knicks is trash. We talked about this. Players LEAVE NY to become good NBA players. We've seen it for how long?

They need to actually dedicate resources to player development. Dolan keeps raising the damn ticket prices every year so he better use all that extra money on something.
Koopa Troopa

Postby spree#8 » December 5, 2017, 4:55 pm

Do you know trainers of NBA greats that have been NBA greats? You probably are talking about working out with guy's like Olajuwon, but that is not where great players are made. The Tim Grover's, Holger Geschwinder's, Chris Brickley's etc. certainly don't fit that NBA great type.

But anyways: a coaching staff is probably the most important development tool of a franchise and we can't say much about our own, because it is a) a staff put together last year and b) we usually don't keep our young guys long enough to develop them. KP looks fine so far, so let's see where it goes and what other young talent we develop.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby gradyandrew » December 5, 2017, 7:06 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:Dolan keeps raising the damn ticket prices every year so he better use all that extra money on something.

Have you even SEEN this year's New York Knicks City dancers?

Cut the man some slack.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby taowave » December 6, 2017, 12:43 pm

Leave Dolan alone

What could have been a worse scenario for Phil Jackson after he got canned by James Dolan in late June?

Having his bitter enemy Jerry West replace him.

According to a Sporting News feature on the Knicks, Dolan had his entertainment mogul/compadre Irving Azoff reach out to West after Jackson’s dismissal. However, West had no interest in schlepping to New York. West instead left the Warriors to become a Clippers advisor to owner Steve Ballmer.
taowave

Postby gradyandrew » December 9, 2017, 9:24 am

I just love the form on Franks jumper. The way he has those long Go-go Gadget arms that just toss the ball up in an arc. Jeff actually got his start coaching shooting for Sloan after he retired so he's a helluva guy to have working with Frank. He looks like he has the mechanics to become a deadly corner 3 guy. It will take some time but just that he has the ability to replicate the same form every time is a big positive.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby Don Che » December 10, 2017, 11:40 am

I like what i saw from Frank yesterday. I think he can use that game to grow a little bit.
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » December 11, 2017, 4:56 am

I couldn't watch the last couple of games, but I like what I see in Franks boxscore. I hope hecan keep up his steady improvement we see after his slump. He knows he needs to be more aggressive in offense and I see the uptick in both FT and FG attempts as a very good sign.

His assists are pretty low though compared to the start of the season.

Go Frankie !!
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » December 11, 2017, 11:04 am

last 3 games have been good
Don Che

Postby taowave » December 29, 2017, 4:13 pm

Mr Parker's opinion...fwiw

He’s a great defender, he’s got length. That’s always good to start your career, to be good defensively. Offense will come. It’s his first year, so he needs to go around the league one time and get used to all the point guards. I think he’s got all the right stuff. I don’t know if New York will be patient. But I think he can be successful in this league.”
taowave

Postby Muzhik1 » January 12, 2018, 5:38 pm

Frank plays decent defense, but he is way too raw on offense. Sooner of later, we'll have to admit that he might be a bust.

We could have had DMJ, but Phil drafted Frank for the "triangle" that we don't even run.

Frank lacks the instinct of a attacking guard. So far he has shown little ability to break down defense. Yes, sometimes he might throw a decent pass and make a 3, but so far he has not shown to be worthy of an 8th pick.

I was pissed at first that Hornacek refused to start him, but now it's obvious that he is not as good as Jack. Even when he plays defense, he tends to be overaggressive and quick to pick up fouls.

So far he looks like a decent role player, but not a starter on a winning team.

I don't know if he is a true point guard. He might even be more of a 2.

As far as praising Frank goes, young Nate Robinson received praise from the likes of Iverson and Arenas. Vets appreciate hard working players, but praise means nothing unless they put in an effort to develop.
Muzhik1

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks