Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Postby maxinquaye11 » July 27, 2018, 6:40 pm

taowave wrote:Naz,I don't remember many if any knocking Frank because of his lack of scoring. My knock was despite good court vision and Do,he looked so apprehensive and was either incapable or unable to break down the D..

He looked far more comfortable playing off the ball.

The knock on supposed 'el natural' point guard frank is that he has weak handles. This is common knowledge in this forum. Think of it, when was the last time we had a natural pg that still needs to develop his weak handles?

Weak handles and not passivity is perhaps the main reason why everyone (including stradsbourg) is more comfortable with Ntilly at sg. It HELPED him.

everything from poor shooting and creating at the pg, stems from having poor ball handling skills.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on July 27, 2018, 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
maxinquaye11

Postby taowave » July 27, 2018, 7:38 pm

Lol....right on cue!!

I'm home,scoring is the least of his problems

shakespeare wrote:
*raises hand
taowave

Postby nazrmohamed » July 27, 2018, 8:23 pm

taowave wrote:Naz,I don't remember many if any knocking Frank because of his lack of scoring. My knock was despite good court vision and Do,he looked so apprehensive and was either unable or too passive to break down the D..

He looked far more comfortable playing off the ball.

If that's how it shakes out, it's how it shakes out. My thing is if you don't like him at PG it's not like he goes to SG and turns into Kobe. He's still the same player, it's just that again, we're fine with it because it's ok for there to be Robersons at SG....But not at PG. In any case though, he's gotta get way more aggressive for either role.

Don't get me wrong guys, at home I'm screaming at Frank as much as you do. But it's more like your sons plays sports, you feel you can see what his potential can be and he's sabotaging himself. All I'll maintain is it was literally his first year in the nba, in a new culture, and he had better players around him. So I just think he had a don't F up mentality, which is not a mentality that dominant players GAF about. Dennis Smith JR had a 38FG%, nobody cares. Nobody remembers your rookie percentage, they remember that you had balls your rookie year. They'll assume you'll just figure it out cuz most times, guys who score 20 while dunking on All stars do. Frank would piss me off playing it safe trying to impress Larry Brown and then still shoot 35%. And it's about attempts. You take 5 shots and you're either gonna be awesome at 4/5 or a bum at 3/5. I could rant all day about Frank that you'd think I'm a hater. But really I want him to show more cuz I think he's got it in him.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Koopa Troopa » July 28, 2018, 1:53 am

All this Frank talk got me thinking that quite frankly....

Is Frank even the best Knicks PG named Frank?

Who got money on Frank Williams?
Koopa Troopa

Postby NYGM » July 28, 2018, 11:55 am

Frank could easily turn into a Billups type and people would still complaining about it..

Let the kid develop.. I thought most Knick fans valued defense but seems to be different these days..

I agree with Nazr, having versatile scorers (hopefully some 2 way players) and a PG who can lead, play defense and facilitate could be great.

I think Knox hype is bigger than Frank..
NYGM

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » July 28, 2018, 6:44 pm

Happy 20th B Day Frank! Damn no love in here
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby taowave » July 29, 2018, 7:41 am

Nygm,Frank needs to demonstrate that he is an NBA PG who can lead.Thats the question..

NYGM wrote:Frank could easily turn into a Billups type and people would still complaining about it..

Let the kid develop.. I thought most Knick fans valued defense but seems to be different these days..

I agree with Nazr, having versatile scorers (hopefully some 2 way players) and a PG who can lead, play defense and facilitate could be great.

I think Knox hype is bigger than Frank..
taowave

Postby shakespeare » July 29, 2018, 8:08 am

taowave wrote:scoring is the least of his problems

I don’t understand? His shooting stats [36% from the field and 31% from the arc] are horrid.

I can excuse the 5.9 ppg average cause with more minutes he’d crack 10 points per game.

I don’t think he needs to learn how to lead the offense, cause that’s not his thing.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » July 29, 2018, 8:21 am

NBA Sophomores Who Could Hit the Wall in 2018-19

This is a key season for guard Frank Ntilikina, who flashed potential as a rookie, but compared to the others in his class, his 5.9 points and 3.2 assists per game on 36.4 percent shooting underwhelmed. And the New York Knicks haven't given him the most suitable environment to make the sophomore leap.

A limited shot-creator, Ntilikina would have benefited from having weapons to feed and take pressure off him. But with Kristaps Porzingis out until at least December with a torn ACL, the Knicks (and Ntilikina) will lean on Tim Hardaway Jr. and Enes Kanter.

Ideally, Ntilikina would have the chance to play long stretches and endure the trial-and-error process while building his comfort and confidence. However, although New York's expected to be one of the league's worst teams, he isn't guaranteed a bigger role. Trey Burke seems likely to start, Courtney Lee wasn't traded and Mario Hezonja is suddenly in the picture.

Ntilikina's production and efficiency won't drop off, but it's difficult to predict a major breakout for 2018-19.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... 9.amp.html

It’s hard for me to believe Frank’s numbers and percentages will dip lower than last sesson’s output. For that reason alone, I believe he’ll improve, albeit slightly.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby StevoStarks » July 29, 2018, 12:00 pm

Lot of crow to go around for all of you guys. Hope you’re all hungry :)

Happy birthday Frank!
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Rusty La Rue » July 30, 2018, 1:36 am

Happy B day Frank... I am still a believer...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby taowave » July 30, 2018, 7:40 am

I think of all the flaws Frank has shooting is the most fixable.More important,we have scorers in KP,Knox, Hardaway.

He can play a Derek Harper,Charlie Ward role and be fine,but he has to strap a set on when he's running the offense. He needs to be a leader with the ball in his hands.

He has the court vision,he plays D.
Not the most athletic guy,but neither was Mark Jackson,and he averaged 10 and 8

shakespeare wrote:
I don’t understand? His shooting stats [36% from the field and 31% from the arc] are horrid.

I can excuse the 5.9 ppg average cause with more minutes he’d crack 10 points per game.

I don’t think he needs to learn how to lead the offense, cause that’s not his thing.
taowave

Postby nazrmohamed » July 30, 2018, 8:54 am

And it's the most necessary Tao, shooting that is. He can take as many dribbling drills as he wants. I'm not saying it's useless, itll definitely help but you still don't change who you are. Half the battle is confidence. But in reality you don't have to have the best handles to be effective. And to illustrate this compare guys like CP3/Irving vs Westbrook/ Harden. The players with the best handles aren't always the best at getting to the rim. The best guys at getting to the rim seem to just commit to a strong take and then explode in. I guess that's a part of handle too but I'm just saying Frank doesn't have to be spinning and winning, doing a ton of behind the back/between the legs showboating to be effective.

BUT....based on the type of player he is he WILL need to become a reliable, if not great shooter. As I've argued, you can be a caretaker on offense at PG but if that's who you will be then you must be the type that when your more prolific players kick it back out to you, can be money from the three cause essentially you'll be asking them to be playmakers and you the off ball shooter.

Billups
Fisher
Chalmers
Kerr
Armstrong
All great shooters
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » July 30, 2018, 10:05 am

Totally agree Naz,and I don't think his stroke is broken. I could be dead wrong,but I think it's the least of his problems.

Keep in mind,with the exception of Billups,the other guards played with the best players in the world..And Billups did play with a prme time Melo.

Yess,he needs to be a 35 percent plus shooter from deep.I think that's the easy part.Can he break down the D and help get us some easy buckets??
taowave

Postby shakespeare » July 30, 2018, 1:02 pm

Tao.

In today’s game, yesteryear’s point guards like Mark Jackson, Charlie Ward and Derek Harper [Knicks’ version] will get ran completely out of the league in no time at all.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby H20Knick » July 30, 2018, 1:09 pm

shakespeare wrote:Tao.

In today’s game, yesteryear’s point guards like Mark Jackson, Charlie Ward and Derek Harper [Knicks’ version] will get ran completely out of the league in no time at all.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby nazrmohamed » July 30, 2018, 2:31 pm

No they won't. They simply will fail to be the star players of your team. Or appreciated as such. Last I checked Patrick Beverly has been in the league for the last 5 yrs doing just fine. And in 5,4,3,2,1 somebody will say he's played next to Harden.

Well wtf do you think I'm trying to build here folks. Why do you want that top 5 pick H20, shakes. For those Harden caliber players.

But not just him, there are definitely less out there but they exist. George Hill beat the flying shit out of us in 2015...or at least he was on the team that did. Chalmers has rings.

But just outta that group I think Dereck would've. He was a solid 3pt shooter
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » July 30, 2018, 2:59 pm

As the biggest basher of the triangle,I hear what the critics are saying....

The game has changed...or has it???

Look at New Orleans....A 32 y.o Rondo led the Pelicans putting up 8 and 8 with a .522 TS%....

The Jazz with Rubio?? 13 and 5 with a .533 TS%...

Not everyone has to be Russel westbrook,nor does every team have to play like the Warriors...
taowave

Postby big_j_NY » July 30, 2018, 4:47 pm

taowave wrote:As the biggest basher of the triangle,I hear what the critics are saying....

The game has changed...or has it???

Look at New Orleans....A 32 y.o Rondo led the Pelicans putting up 8 and 8 with a .522 TS%....

The Jazz with Rubio?? 13 and 5 with a .533 TS%...

Not everyone has to be Russel westbrook,nor does every team have to play like the Warriors...

The only thing I'll say to your argument Tao is.............those 2 guys aren't caretaker PGs like nazr is stating.

Pass-first PGs, they indeed are.

But both Rondo and Rubio enjoy pounding the rock and attacking the rim to set up their teammates for shot, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT playing-style from the "caretaker PG" that nazr is referring to.

Caretaker PGs in a sense are basically "3&D guards" that just happen to dribble the ball up the floor and "set up the offense." There only form of offense is basically "off-ball," they cut from down screens and spot-up off of dribble-penetration from other wing players/guards AND/or double-teams in the post.

That being said, this is where I end that clarification..........because you are valid in everything else of your argument, Tao.

Frank has to show great improvements on the offensive end to "GAIN RESPECT FROM TEAM DEFENSES" when he is trying to set up the offense for everyone else, OTHERWISE Frank can't function as a STARTING PG in the NBA if he doesn't have a modest field goal percentage on the floor.
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby H20Knick » July 30, 2018, 4:54 pm

okay, i'll give rondo credit for being a floor general, but lets not forget jrue holiday dropped 19 and 6 with a 57% TS% and a VORP of 3.0. Not exactly the same as having tim hardaway jr as your backcourt mate.

and ricky rubio has made the playoffs 1 time in his entire career.... there's also that donovan mitchell guy on their team who spends the majority of the time with the ball in his hands

neither one of these teams are considered contenders by the way. I don't think anyone would complain about Frank if he played next to an all star SG. But...
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks