Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Postby Don Che » August 2, 2018, 6:29 am

thanks Rebound I didnt know that

September is usually a hard month to get through lol
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » August 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Hilarious, H20.

For a second, I figured you’d return to THJ’s game-winning basket, the one that knocked New York out of any possibility of obtaining the top pick in the ‘15 draft.

What happened to “more than anything else, I love the fact that ______ WANTED to play in New York.”

THJ doesn’t score any cool points for accepting the challenge?
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby H20Knick » August 3, 2018, 8:52 am

shakespeare wrote:Hilarious, H20.

For a second, I figured you’d return to THJ’s game-winning basket, the one that knocked New York out of any possibility of obtaining the top pick in the ‘15 draft.

What happened to “more than anything else, I love the fact that ______ WANTED to play in New York.”

THJ doesn’t score any cool points for accepting the challenge?

nah, fuck that guy. he wanted to play in NY the same way Amare wanted to play in NY. No one else was offering him that sort of money.

and dammit, i blocked out that he cost us towns. DAMMIT SHAKES.

In other knick related news...
http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2018-1 ... errankings
Mid-Summer Power Rankings: Boston Celtics set to rule Eastern Conference for years
John Schuhmann NBA.com

New York Knicks
Last week: 11
New York Knicks
2017-18 record: 29-53
Pace: 99.3 (15) OffRtg: 104.1 (24) DefRtg: 108.4 (22) NetRtg: -4.2 (24)

Key addition(s): Coach David Fizdale, Kevin Knox.
Key departure(s): Beas
Key question: What can Frank Ntilikina do offensively?

Knox will keep Knicks fans excited while they await the return of Kristaps Porzingis, which may or may not happen this season. The Knicks will be shopping for a star next summer, but the next nine months are still critical for Ntilikina, who remains an intriguing prospect with his size at the point guard position. He can defend, but had the worst effective field goal percentage among the 25 rookies who took at least 300 shots last season and averaged just 7.4 drives per 36 minutes, according to SportVU. That ranked 101st among 282 players who averaged at least 15 minutes in 40 or more games and was less than half of what Emmanuel Mudiay averaged (14.9).
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 9:25 am

Frank has a ton of work to do on offense. And maybe the pov is only looking at defense in today's NBA is outdated but im sure if i felt we had a guy that can drop 25 a night..i'd change my tune.

more time goes on im open to the idea of Burke taking his spot but if thats the case(and you intend to win big with him)

you need a plus defender at the 2/3 and 5. Luckily....Frank can be that 2. Knox has a TON of work on defense also.

Mitch and KP in the front line. Thats enough wingspan to cover for the lack of athleticism/switch ability Burke lacks.

but he's gonna have to go 18/8 to warrant it.
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » August 3, 2018, 9:34 am

Don Che wrote:Frank has a ton of work to do on offense.

more time goes on im open to the idea of Burke taking his spot but if thats the case(and you intend to win big with him)

you need a plus defender at the 2/3 and 5. Luckily....Frank can be that 2. Knox has a TON of work on defense also.

Mitch and KP in the front line. Thats enough wingspan to cover for the lack of athleticism/switch ability Burke lacks.

but he's gonna have to go 18/8 to warrant it.

Burke - Frank - Knox - KP - Mitch w/ THJ as 6th man. That's my ideal scenario, I think. I know i've been pushing KP at C forever, but I'm hoping Mitch can switch to the quicker 4s when necessary but bang with the goons when they show up too. Obviously everyone on that list sans KP is a giant question mark, but we just need everyone to progress in the same way they're already trending and Frank needs to just learn to be a better spot-up shooter. I think that's a lineup that EVERYONE will be happy with if Fiz can get them all to reach their potential.

It's kind of wild that my entire knicks fantasy is dependent upon a 2nd round pick that took a year off from organized basketball. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. My biggest fears are all the PGs we've had that finished hopeless seasons strong and then came back the next year looking terrible. (Langston Galloway comes to mind here first). I really need Burke to look like a pro starting PG and I need Mitch to look like he belongs in the NBA. If those things happen, a marquee free agent would be icing on the cake, but i'd be prepared to go to war with what we have + a nice draft pick next year.

H20Knick

Postby spree#8 » August 3, 2018, 9:46 am

Frank likely will have to succeed at the one or he won't become a full-time starter. He simply has no two-guard skills.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 9:52 am

um.....i can agree with that. Its not my ideal situation but I wouldnt be against it at all.

Burke/Mario/Mudiay/Tim are all in a bubble of the guy we start next to Frank. Only reason im saying this is because Frank can guard either spot and is the only one thats proven he can guard something.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » August 3, 2018, 9:55 am

Don Che wrote:um.....i can agree with that. Its not my ideal situation but I wouldnt be against it at all.

Burke/Mario/Mudiay/Tim are all in a bubble of the guy we start next to Frank. Only reason im saying this is because Frank can guard either spot and is the only one thats proven he can guard something.

Nah, THJ is locked in (not because of a higher ceiling in general, but because he is the way better player right now and none of the other guys is a long-term option at SG). Frank is on the bubble fighting with Burke and Mudiay. Mario has nothing to do with our backcourt ATM. A candidate to start as a small-ball four or as the three until KP comes back.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 10:10 am

i disagree with that but itll be interesting to see how it pans out.
Don Che

Postby thewatcher » August 3, 2018, 10:17 am

Frank doesn't have 2-guard skills yet, but Burke has tremendous 2 guard skills, but he has to guard PG's. Frank provides defense and EXcellent passing from the SG position. Think about it, Burke and Frank sort of compliment each other really nicely.

But I think Tim needs to start this year, he's the most complete player right now and has a salary commensurate with that. I probably start Burke, bring Frank along slowly with the goal of starting him next year.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby H20Knick » August 3, 2018, 10:24 am

I mean if you want to call Burke the 2 and Frank the 1, that's fine. Either way, that's the combo i'm going with.

We can't leave the only good perimeter defender we have off the lineup. It's not that hard to hide his offensive ineptitude if you hide him off-ball a la Tony Allen

H20Knick

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 10:27 am

Tim and Kanter have the one up...but they can def lose their spots when its all said and done. Kanter before Tim.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » August 3, 2018, 10:37 am

The only way Burke and Ntilikina start together is if we play small with Hardaway at the 3 until KP comes back. None of those two will beat out Hardaway at the 2.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby nazrmohamed » August 3, 2018, 10:50 am

I still don't think the long-term answer is to develop Frank as a 2. If for your lineup or scheme you wanna do so for stretches I'm fine with that but I'm more of the mindset that he needs to develop his offense to be an NBA starter. Moving him to the 2 doesn't solve any problems. He'll still have the same problem at SG.

The only way I'd concede putting him at SG is if e're talking about bringing in an all-star caliber PG. For now we got 3 Pgs, none of which are truly of starting caliber IMO and that includes Frank. The difference for me is that Frank is my drafted lottery player and we should be fully invested in his development moreso than the other 2. But that's just my opinion. I get that Burke is a better player at this point but to me that's not saying much. I also believe Kanter will be more productive than any of the rookie bigs this year. Mudiay could break out this year. Who knows.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby thewatcher » August 3, 2018, 10:54 am

^^yup, and we don't want that, you can bring Frank or Burke off the bench and still have them play together. Tim's in a tough spot, if he plays really well he becomes attractive trade bait at the deadline for a desperate Timberwolves team who risk losing Jimmy Butler for nothing. I really wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy and Kyrie have plans to join us next summer. But I think all our guys are going to surprise on the upside ,Tim included. I think Kanter will be a huge surprise, his effort was wasted last year, on a team gunning for a playoff birth, different story. (AS I wrote this I see you had the same vision of Kanter nazr). :thumbsup:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby nazrmohamed » August 3, 2018, 10:58 am

spree#8 wrote:Frank likely will have to succeed at the one or he won't become a full-time starter. He simply has no two-guard skills.

That's what it comes down to for me unless somehow there's a coach who appreceates a 2 pg system. But then I think we'd still need an upgrade at PG
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Championship 16/17 » August 4, 2018, 4:56 pm

spree#8 wrote:Frank likely will have to succeed at the one or he won't become a full-time starter. He simply has no two-guard skills.

:thumbsup:
Championship 16/17

Postby Championship 16/17 » August 4, 2018, 5:09 pm

spree#8 wrote:The only way Burke and Ntilikina start together is if we play small with Hardaway at the 3 until KP comes back. None of those two will beat out Hardaway at the 2.

Championship 16/17

Postby Championship 16/17 » August 4, 2018, 5:22 pm

thewatcher wrote:
But I think Tim needs to start this year, he's the most complete player right now and has a salary commensurate with that. I probably start Burke, bring Frank along slowly with the goal of starting him next year.

I'm okay with this if it means Burke and Tim are gone by the trade deadline for Jimmy Butler. This will certainly increase their trade value and assist with developing Frank slowly bc he lost a year under Hornacek's tutelage.

Also having Frank in that role as a combo guard off the bench would mean smoother transition for him if Kyrie comes a board next season.

I like it, I'm in favor of starting Burke and Tim in the backcourt or the sole purpose of getting their stats up and increasing trade value to get Jimmy Butler. Burke thinks he is an all-star, let his ass try to be one.
Championship 16/17

Postby Championship 16/17 » August 4, 2018, 5:26 pm

spree#8 wrote: Mario has nothing to do with our backcourt ATM. A candidate to start as a small-ball four or as the three until KP comes back.

Championship 16/17

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks