Knicks superfan Michael Rapaport has epic evisceration of James Dolan

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Knicks superfan Michael Rapaport has epic evisceration of James Dolan

Postby shakespeare » October 5, 2017, 4:41 pm

Actor/comedian Michael Rapaport was once a fixture on the Garden’s celebrity row, but now may have to think twice before asking for front-row comps.

In his soon-to-be-released book, “This Book has Balls,” the lifelong Knicks diehard and New York native viciously attacks owner James Dolan, even making fun of his singing the blues. Rapaport takes aim at multiple sports figures, even dedicating a chapter on why NBA legend Bill Russell is overrated, but he saved his biggest punches for Dolan.

Of all the mistakes that have led to the Knicks failing to win a title since 1973, Rapaport is most offended by Charles Oakley’s Garden arrest last season and the firing of Knicks broadcasting legend Marv Albert.

“We all wanna go up to Dolan and say “What the f–k have you done?,’’ Rapaport writes. “You have taken the New York Knicks and turned us into a f–king joke since you got this building and team handed to you by your father and you have ruined it, you f–k, you! Take your s–t blues band and beat it, you spoiled little rich pr–k. And do yourself a favor and shave that funky-ass beard. You look ridiculous.’’

Dolan could not be reached for comment, but an MSG spokesman said in a statement:

“Mr. Dolan doesn’t know Mr. Rapaport, but clearly he’s not a friend.”

Rapaport was horrified by Oakley’s arrest, though there were misreports the former Knicks enforcer was hurling invectives at Dolan. The Garden had revealed Oakley was approached because of cursing at security guards staring at him as he sat rows behind the eccentric owner.

“I thought you had soul,’’ Rapaport wrote. “I thought you understood loyalty. I thought you were in a blues band. What the hell, man. What’s the name of the band you’re in? Is it the ‘Billionaire Blues Players of Madison Avenue?’ What are you even singing about, the sadness of chicken overcooked by a personal chef. The angry nanny who wouldn’t do what you asked?

“We stand by our team through thick and thin because it’s in our blood but you’re making it really f–king difficult. Maybe you don’t give a damn since games are sold out no matter who’s on the court or what the team plays like.”

Knicks fans are speculating online that Rapaport, who wasn’t seen on celebrity row last season, could be banned from The Garden, thanks to the book. Oakley got banned by Dolan after the arrest and partial season-ticket holder Mike Hamersky was not permitted to renew after an incident in which he heckled the bearded owner to sell the team.

In one bizarre chapter, Rapaport fictionalizes a courtroom scene in which former team president Phil Jackson is appealing his summer divorce from the Knicks in “Phil Jackson vs. the city of New York.” Rapaport plays the prosecutor.

“There is no option here other than to keep Phil Jackson out of the great city of New York and away from the Knicks and I’m here today to say we want him far away from the city,” the actor argues. “Let Phil Jackson go back to his happy place, where he can meditate, relax and nibble on some peyote or go to Peru, where Ayahuasca is all the rage.’’

On further cross examination, Rapaport asks: “Are you on mushrooms, Phil?.’’

“No one understood the f–king offense. It didn’t work here. It’s like you were trying to teach trigonometry. Phil, no one gets the mystical ‘all for one, one for all, everyone has to touch the ball before shooting it’ offense. It’s over, Phil. This ain’t Chicago and [Michael] Jordan ain’t here. The triangle offense should be banished. How can you run an offense that you yourself have forgotten?”

There were praiseworthy passages about the Garden’s aura, however, noting it as the only original arena left in the NBA, built in 1969 in its present habitat.

“No building can ever touch the world’s most famous arena,” Rapaport said.

Lavar Ball, Lonzo’s father, also becomes a target in the book for his outlandish boasts.

“I don’t give a damn if Jordan gained 40 more pounds and lived on Big Macs: you couldn’t beat Michael Jordan,’’ Rapaport pens. “The one and only video of you playing ball looks like you hired a casting director to line up the players against you.

“Believe me, my sources let me know there are players in the NBA just waiting for your kid to get into the league so they can welcome him with open arms and pick and rolls to put him on his ass because of your antics.’’

In one chapter dedicated solely to shredding Patriots lord Bill Belichick, Rapaport writes:

“Why do you have to show up looking like you just escaped a methadone clinic. You’re on the sidelines dressed in that dingy cut-off sweatshirt that appears to have been ripped from a puppy’s mouth.”

Rapaport’s book, published by Touchstone Books, will be released on Oct. 24.

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2 ... ponse/amp/

As far as Dolan, Rapaport hadn't said anything other than what the majority of diehard Knick fans feel within their hearts and souls.

And I co-sign Bill Russell being hella overrated.

Also, Rapaport will sell lots and lots of books.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Re: Knicks superfan Michael Rapaport has epic evisceration of James Dolan

Postby nazrmohamed » October 5, 2017, 7:33 pm

Well, good luck with him getting into the garden this year. Sucks cuz every now and then they interview him on celebrity row
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Koopa Troopa » October 5, 2017, 10:25 pm

I get it...but you know...he says all that shit and yet hes still a Knicks fan. Dolan wins.
Koopa Troopa

Postby gradyandrew » October 6, 2017, 7:49 am

I still don't get the Dolan hate. He's always been happy to write big checks. Isaiah, Donnie Walsh, Phil Jackson Dolan has spent a lot of money getting well respected NBA GMs. He isn't Vivek Ranadive hiring Vlade "what's a salary cap" divak, bringing his girlfriend into the locker room to check out the meat a la Sterling, or a cheapskate like the Thunder have been up until now. Who could have guessed 15 years ago Ainge would be a better GM than Thomas, or that Phil would be a terrible GM? The only meddling he's done was push for the Melo trade 6 years ago, and if you're going to eviscerate the guy for that, you really need to reexamine recent knicks history.

Here are guys who should be getting blamed for the suck:

Isaiah· for Anucha
Mike D. - for overplaying STAT
JR- for head butting Terry
Grunwald- for the Bargnani trade
Fisher- for banging Barnes wife in preseason rather than sexting
Barnes kids- for calling their dad
PJs ego- for overpowering his common sense

So seriously Michael, if you want to bitch about the Knicks, at least get your story straight.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby shakespeare » October 6, 2017, 8:27 am

Gradyandrew, you've some valid arguments, much of what you presented in your commentary is agreed upon. Yet in still, Rapaport might've been pissed mostly at the disrespect aimed at Oakley, more than anything. Then again, it could be repeating the same mistakes over the years while expecting a different result that drives diehard fans to take their frustrations out on Dolan, who, whether you admit or not, is the common denominator in the insanity.

Dolan is absolved of blame?
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Irv » October 6, 2017, 10:02 am

Any rich idiot can write checks. The bar is raised higher when it comes to running a respectable organization that doesn't constantly embroil itself in controversy and distraction, making the organization a undesirable destination for coaches, front office staff, and players. Nobody in the last couple of decades has wanted to come to the Knicks for anything other than a paycheck and having the New York experience. Winning is merely a bonus if it happens, but if you come to the Knicks, you know what you're signing up for, and for the last two decades, that has not included a healthy and supportive working environment. That is 100% on Dolan.

But, but...what about the Rangers? The 2004-05 NHL lockout (hard salary cap) and Glen Sather committing to rebuild his team over a decade earlier than the Knicks happened. Also, hockey doesn't get the same amount of attention that basketball does in New York. Even then, that doesn't mean Dolan is immune to doing stupid-ass, inappropriate shit like this to the Rangers either:

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/4/ ... h-his-band
Irv
Administrator

Postby Mr. Glass » October 6, 2017, 11:08 am

So hard for me not to stare @ Nazr's avatar of Joe Dirtizgis.

Just me?
"Mother said render you unconscious. I'm going to render you unconscious." LL Cool J
Mr. Glass

Postby spree#8 » October 6, 2017, 12:01 pm

Hard for me to take a side here. Obviously Oak is a fan favorite and I like him as a player. But that doesn't mean that he can call a guy he played for in Dolan out at any opportunity and that he looks totally innocent in this incident and how it evolved. Both sides make the Knicks look bad, not one. So I would Rappaport rather be constructive instead of shitting on Dolan. But that may be me.

If you are a rich man and hate how Dolan runs the Knicks, try to put a good owner group together and make an offer.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby shakespeare » October 6, 2017, 4:33 pm

Irv wrote: but if you come to the Knicks, you know what you're signing up for, and for the last two decades, that has not included a healthy and supportive working environment. That is 100% on Dolan.

Well said. :thumbsup:

There are things beyond Dolan's control, of course, but the working environment itself lies on the shoulders of James Dolan. It's sorta like attending a circus. The crowd already knows to expect clowns. One is guaranteed to witness clowns at the circus. Even the Phil Jackson hiring and subsequent max contract to Carmelo Anthony blew up in Dolan's face. [I say this, cause many fans believe Phil was hired mainly to resign Carmelo.]

Like you said, the last two decades were filled with unhealthy and nonsupportive working environments. So, at some point, it falls on the shoulders of the one in charge of it all.

Also, I read the link and wondered why Dolan asked to attend the festival and watch his band, knowing his band isn't playing at the festival?
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 6, 2017, 4:37 pm

spree#8 wrote: So I would rather Dolan be constructive instead of shitting on Oakley.

Fixed.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 6, 2017, 5:12 pm

Spree, how could you not like Rapaport, the best thing since George Carlin.

Hilarious rant. https://youtu.be/Z3t25GES7l8
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby gradyandrew » October 6, 2017, 6:31 pm

Is there collective amnesia going on here?

Dolan heard and understood all these complaints 3 years ago so he went out and got the winningest coach in basketball history, gave him the biggest contract, and stepped the fuck aside. Its true that any rich idiot can sign checks, but a lot of them don't. In lieu of selling the team, didn't Dolan follow the haterz advice the past few seasons? And he still loses.

We all love Oak the player, but c'mon, when security asks you to leave, you go, you don't push the guys.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby Irv » October 7, 2017, 12:08 am

Dolan went out and got Phil? No, Dolan is friends with Irving Azoff (and likes to remind people of that constantly), who introduced Dolan to Phil. Dolan couldn't find talent on his own if his life depended on it. He's had as many lineup changes in JD & the Straight Shot as Chicago, except he's only had his band since 2005 while Chicago's been around since 1968.

Back to Phil Jackson; he was a winning coach. He was not a winning executive and obviously never developed into one. Once again, Dolan chased a big name instead of doing any research and vetting on his own. You seem to have this narrative that Dolan chased well-respected executives. Let's review that for a bit:

Isaiah, Donnie Walsh, Phil Jackson Dolan has spent a lot of money getting well respected NBA GMs

Isiah: Successfully scouted players as a Raptors EVP and part-owner, failed at running the CBA and led the league into bankruptcy. Mediocre coach for the Pacers considering they were a perennial conference semifinals playoff team before him. No general manager experience. Decent scouting doesn't make up for the fact that Isiah's had character issues going back to his playing days as a Piston, and him running the CBA into the ground should have been a huge red flag as a managerial executive.

Walsh: Great hire in terms of building the proper culture around the franchise, but his scouting knowledge was overrated simply because of Reggie Miller. Overall, he did the Knicks fairly solid right up until Dolan decided to fuck things up with the Carmelo Anthony trade. Also, it was widely reported that David Stern played a significant role in influencing Dolan to hire Walsh, so it's not like Dolan managed to get one right completely on his own.

Phil: Surely some of those coaching wins must translate into knowing how to run a front office, right? No basketball operations experience, obviously, and it showed.

So, Dolan was basically 1/3, and then he fucked up on the one he actually got right.

While we're at it, you left out Scott Layden. I don't think anything really needs to be said there. 1/4.

Hell, if Steve Mills didn't brilliantly execute a power play this time around, Dolan's leading candidate was said to be Masai Ujiri. He's famous for fleecing the Knicks twice and that's basically it. How effective would he have been working for the team that he once fleeced when there would nobody left to fleece? If Dolan got anywhere near Ujiri, it would be have been 1/5.

Furthermore, you continue to conveniently ignore the simple concept that if you fuck up once, it may be attributable to bad luck. If you fuck up repeatedly, the problem is you. Dolan being an egomanaical shitlord who happens to pay well does not make him a good boss, especially when he continues to show a complete lack of social awareness and PR savvy. You are the leader of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Why the fuck are you spending time bickering with angry fans over email or firing security guards because you think you're better than everyone else and don't need to bring your ID? As the top executive, if you're not helping the company's public image, then you need to be invisible. Completely invisible.

All the controversy and negative press about how the Knicks do business around the league and with their fans has happened under his watch. He needs to own it and become a better leader. He has not, and considering how he likes to accuse any of his detractors as being alcoholics like the belligerent, thin-skinned, projecting pansy that he is, he never will.

Dolan deserves all the hate he gets. He has his head stuck so far up his ass in his ivory tower that he exemplifies everything that the middle class hates about wealthy elitists. I know people that know the Dolan family who respect Charles but have nothing good to say about Jim. I'm not saying that to play a game of telephone or sell myself as any sort of insider, but if people close to that family can't say anything good about Jim, then maybe he isn't as good as you think he is, especially when your only qualifier is that he writes checks. You know who else writes checks but actually runs a tight ship for a sports franchise? Uncle Larry Dolan and Cousin Paul Dolan of the Cleveland Indians. You would think having successful family members might help out your own cause, but Jim instead had public fallouts with his father regarding Cablevision and allegedly resents his fellow pro sport franchise owning family members.
Irv
Administrator

Postby Irv » October 7, 2017, 2:47 am

shakespeare wrote:Spree, how could you not like Rapaport, the best thing since George Carlin.

Hilarious rant. https://youtu.be/Z3t25GES7l8

George Carlin was a linguistic master. Rapaport thought Porzingis came from a country called Lativia. He really should shut up when it comes to talking about players because he doesn't know shit. Hell, he can't even pronounce Kanter's name right and anyone who has even attempted to learn another language should know that when in doubt, use the short vowel pronunciation.

Rapaport makes Spike Lee sound like a poet for that time he said he liked Dick (pause).
Irv
Administrator

Postby gradyandrew » October 7, 2017, 6:05 am

Irvyeah, I'm not saying that the guy is perfect, all I'm saying is I don't think he deserves the hate. I think we were all pretty ecstatic the day Melo came, and the days we hired Phil and Isaiah. I definitely hear you that after a while the failures add up. And that's why the Phil era was so disappointing. So, yeah he was introduced to Phil by a friend, but Dolan was the one who convinced Phil to become the Knicks godfather and also to stay out of the way. Short of Dolan selling the term to a fan collective run by the nykfanpage, that was also our dream scenario. The winningest coach committed to building a winner in New York. It seems like Dolan kept his end of the bargain and didn't interfere, at least until Phil asked him to cut Melo a 45 million severance package.

So yes I get the story line that he's ruined the team, but it seems like he's realized that and is doing his best to stay away.
gradyandrew

Postby shakespeare » October 7, 2017, 11:03 am

the controversy and negative press about how the Knicks do business around the league and with their fans has happened under his watch. He needs to own it and become a better leader.

Agreed. I read an article that said Dolan skipped this past NBA Draft to play a gig with his band. Is that true?

For years, Dolan has proven to be too powerful, too egotistical, too stubborn, too petty and too shameless to rise above ugliness, to extend an olive branch, or to consider how he or the Knicks organization reflect on the NBA, his ownership colleagues, and the players. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc. ... source=dam

This is absolutely true.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby spree#8 » October 7, 2017, 11:59 am

And I'm not even arguing that Dolan has done more bad than good. All I'm saying is how can you be "most offended" with the Oakley incident, when Oakley himself looks like an idiot in it?
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Irv » October 7, 2017, 1:18 pm

Regarding the Oakley incident, I think in some ways Oakley did make himself look bad, but at the same time, he's never been a guy who follows a PR manager's playbook and his actions don't really affect other people. That doesn't absolve him, but Oakley can handle himself just fine, which is something pretty much nobody will say about Dolan.

Dolan on the other hand continues to make gaffes that no 62-year-old executive should be making. The optics of his leadership are extremely bad. So while Knicks fans were actually relieved that he did step in and cut Phil Jackson loose, that doesn't change the fact that if there is a choice between doing the right thing and the most chaotic thing, Dolan will choose the path most controversial, even while in damage control mode. He couldn't just let the Oakley thing blow over. He had to bring Sprewell courtside. Dolan's judgment is generally atrocious, and that's why he is on the shitlist of a vast majority of Knicks fans.

I wasn't excited when Dolan hired Isiah. I was excited that Isiah wasn't Scott Layden. I wasn't excited when Dolan hired Phil. I was cautiously optimistic knowing that despite his coaching career, he had never been in charge of a basketball team before. I can only represent my own feelings, but I think this is probably the prevailing sentiment rather than anyone thinking Dolan actually made good hires.

Dolan had to step out of the way for Phil Jackson. We knew that from the day of the hire, but it wasn't because a light turned on in Dolan's head. Any other scenario would have been the equivalent of Dolan, being the Eagles fan that he is, telling Don Henley how to make music. Dolan basically idolized Phil. He didn't want to meddle in Phil's business because he would have been afraid of his idol walking out on him. Perhaps Dolan indirectly learned to GTFO of the way, but it wasn't because of self-enlightenment.

They say that you can't run from your past. When you are as visible as Dolan is to New Yorkers, even if not in physical presence, he has fucked up too many times in life to earn any free passes going forward. There have been times when he hasn't fucked up a situation, but that's what a competent leader is supposed to do. Not fuck up. Dolan shouldn't be getting any credit for doing something right once in a blue moon when good leaders do something right on a daily basis.
Irv
Administrator

Postby shakespeare » October 9, 2017, 2:59 pm

Rapaport responds to Lonzo Ball saying Nas isn't Hip Hop https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YhZVi5YuALc
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 25, 2017, 7:55 pm

Lowry thought the deal, which would’ve sent him from the Toronto Raptors to Manhattan in exchange for Metta World Peace, Iman Shumpert and a future first-round pick, was sealed, according to Jeff Zillgitt of USA Today.

But Knicks owner James Dolan halted the transaction at the 11th hour out of fear he was being had by Toronto general manager Masai Ujiri.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... 3.amp.html

Raptors received the 1st round pick a couple years later in exchange for Andres Bargnani.
Shumpert was shipped to Cleveland.
Not sure what happened with Ron Artest.

Kyle Lowry became a perennial All-Star in Toronto.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Next

Return to New York Knicks