Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Pick the New Coach

Blatt
10%
Fizdale
29%
Doc Rivers
2%
Mark Jackson
7%
Budenholzer
29%
Messina
No votes
Stackhouse
17%
Borrego
No votes
Becky Hammon
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 41
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Stack or Fiz

looking at the young core and old vets....there is a recipe for a good defensive team for Today's NBA.

Just have to get rid of some guys and shuffle the concepts a bit.

My concern with Fiz is....he didnt get along with Gasol who is a modern star but he did get along with Lebron/Wade and plenty others...i wonder how the interviewing process went in regards to tht.
Boston_PuppyDawg
Likes given: 0

Knicks president Steve Mills and general manager Scott Perry are returning from the West Coast where they met with Mike Woodson, Mark Jackson and David Fizdale. On Tuesday, Knicks officials interviewed Jerry Stackhouse in New York. The plan is to meet with David Blatt next week in New York because the former Cavaliers coach still is coaching games for Istanbul.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Don Che
Likes given: 9

so...did they meet with Kenny Smith?
Red

Lee will leave for the French Open in 10 days. He hopes before heading to Paris with fiancée Caroline Wozniacki that Mark Jackson is named the Knicks head coach.
The ex-Knicks/ex-Warriors power forward played for Jackson in Golden State for all three of Jackson’s seasons.
He has a very smart perspective looking at the game,’’ Lee told The Post in a phone interview. “Especially dealing with what you want in New York, you need somebody to understand the landscape.
“Coaching and playing in New York is different than any city. You see it in baseball — superstars play for the Yankees either thrive or shy away from the situation. Mark understands the difference in New York basketball. He’s from there. He understands the politics, the fans, things involved unique to the Knicks. That’s an advantage he has.’’
The Mecca of Mess
Irv
Administrator
Likes given: 184

What I want to know is when the hell David Lee started dating—never mind got engaged to—Caroline Wozniacki.
Isa Soulstar
Likes given: 2

This coaching search is turning out to be an all out circus. I mean come on now, Kenny Smith?

Please Knicks ...FOR FUCKS SAKE... do something grounded in principle for once and don’t fucking hire Mark Jackson. His ego alone is the most carcinogenic thing I never want to see with this organization. Same with Fizdale.

Bringing Stack aboard would be the first conscionable decision under Dolan since ...ever.
oOoO...VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
knicksH20
Likes given: 6

Irv wrote:What I want to know is when the hell David Lee started dating—never mind got engaged to—Caroline Wozniacki.

After he broke up w/ his long time model gf from nyc
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
knicksH20
Likes given: 6

knicksH20 wrote:
After he broke up w/ his long time model gf from nyc
he's so fucking hot. i've said it since he was a rook.
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
taowave
Likes given: 844

After that dick head Rory McIlroy ended their engagement with a 10 minute phone call..
Irv wrote:What I want to know is when the hell David Lee started dating—never mind got engaged to—Caroline Wozniacki.
taowave

On that note..
James Dolan unplugged — not on stage mind you — is still the best James Dolan.

Because when Dolan, the Chairman of Madison Square Garden, goes off script he’s at his most entertaining and irrational. It’s also a reminder as to why the Knicks have been the NBA’s worst and most dysfunctional franchise for nearly two decades and why things will not change anytime soon.

In a published story of run-on quotes that went both unchallenged and unchecked — (Dolan had the Knicks beating the Cleveland Cavaliers in the home finale. They lost) — Dolan hinted that Kristaps Porzingis may miss all of the 2018-19 season.

That’s called burying the lede.

Kenny Smith to interview for Knicks' head coaching job: report

Just a crazy guess, but that crucial piece of medical information was likely omitted from the sales pitch for season ticket renewals. And both Steve Mills and Scott Perry conveniently failed to mention that little doozy during their end of the season press conference.

So for any of you NBA teams out there considering trading for Kristaps — the Spurs with Kawhi Leonard perhaps — just know that the Knicks owner is claiming publicly that his All Star forward is damaged goods. Wait until Team Kristaps hears that news in Latvia.

JAN. 9, 2017 FILE PHOTO
James Dolan made sure to remind everyone just why the Knicks remain so bad and dysfuntional under his leadership.

That was an unintentional slip up from Dolan. His unnecessary shot at recently fired head coach Jeff Hornacek one week after Mills took an unnecessary shot at Hornacek sounded premeditated. Poor form to say the least.

Apparently, Hornacek doesn’t relate well with players, according to Dolan and Mills. Of course, both Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee said the exact opposite, so it’s fair to assume the opinions of those two players don’t matter.

Steve Mills, Scott Perry thorough in Knicks’ head coaching search

But it gets better. Dolan then provides his authoritative view on what type of coach is successful in today’s NBA. He claims that an old style coach doesn’t work anymore. You got that Gregg Popovich? You’re a has-been. You’re washed.

You wonder how Dolan would explain Mike D’Antoni’s success in Houston. Run out of town by Dolan, the soon-to-be 67-year-old D’Antoni was last season’s Coach of the Year. His Rockets won a league-best 65 games this season.

But Dolan is going to lecture us on coaching. That’s precious.

According to a source, Dolan last season sent an email to Hornacek saying he was disappointed in him for not buying fully into the triangle offense. This took place sometime around the All Star break. So we know that as recently as last season Dolan, who loves to tell you he’s not involved, was actually pushing Phil Jackson’s offense down Hornacek’s throat in a not-so-subtle way.

Dolan had Phil’s back. And then on Wednesday, Dolan trashed Jackson for being out of touch. Man, life comes at you fast.

Dolan was using a lot of Mills’ talking points when it comes to what the Knicks are looking for in their next head coach. So Mills has Dolan’s ear.

Dolan even had this bizarre comment that neither Hornacek nor Phil Jackson understood today’s players and how they deal with management. That sounded as if Mills and Perry not only want a relationship with the players but they want to have some say in how the players are used. Things are going to get very interesting.

This coaching search, which began innocently enough, is turning into a full blown circus. ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith reported that the Knicks will interview TNT’s Kenny Smith for the head coaching position, yet Mills and Perry have shown zero interest in talking to Jeff Van Gundy, Spurs assistant Ettore Messina and Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer, who this week interviewed with Phoenix.

Knicks must decide if they can ignore Mark Jackson's past drama

Jeff Hornacek was on the receiving end of some cheap shots from James Dolan and Steve Mills.
Jeff Hornacek was on the receiving end of some cheap shots from James Dolan and Steve Mills.

This isn’t a knock on Kenny Smith, but how can they justify interviewing a candidate with zero head coaching experience yet not talk to one of the league’s top assistant coaches, one of the league’s top head coaches and the last Knicks head coach with prolonged success.

It’s baffling.

But then you remember it’s the Knicks.

And then it makes all the sense in the world.

Isa Soulstar wrote:This coaching search is turning out to be an all out circus. I mean come on now, Kenny Smith?

Please Knicks ...FOR FUCKS SAKE... do something grounded in principle for once and don’t fucking hire Mark Jackson. His ego alone is the most carcinogenic thing I never want to see with this organization. Same with Fizdale.

Bringing Stack aboard would be the first conscionable decision under Dolan since ...ever.
NYGM
Likes given: 490

Isa Soulstar wrote:This coaching search is turning out to be an all out circus. I mean come on now, Kenny Smith?

Mark Jackson will bring the circus back to town..
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 814

I never thought we would be talking about my fellow dane Caroline Wozniacki on the nykfanpage forum :LOL:
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
shakespeare

Don Che wrote:wouldn't mind Becky Hammon either
Agreed.

I read an New York Times article on Hammon the other day that was very informative.
#TeamTank
Red

1st on Ego....

Who thinks Greg Popovich or Danny Ainge (just to name two, yes one isn't a coach) don't have egos? Who thinks Doc Rivers doesn't have an ego? Don't fool yourself.

2nd on getting fired....

So do I need to list all the good coaches who were fired? I probably couldn't but we know there are plenty. But someone used that as reasoning for not hiring MJ (I'm too lazy to look back and post the quote) and I'm like wow. A country hick like D'antoni can get fired then rehired time and again but when the "other" guy does it's the end of his career? Really? I'm sure you can read between the lines.

3rd on understanding today's player...

This one is for you tao. So you believe a relatively young African American male from BK can't relate or know how to communicate in today's nba? And still he's received well on national television... but some country Italian dude (picking on D'antoni again- sorry) who ain't even start in anything near today's nba can? In the words of the millennials Huh? WTF? GTFOH.

Look back at our most recent coaches. What do they have in common? All were old white men who had issues relating to some players, from Starbury to Melo.
All except 1.

And he just happened to sport the best record of them all. Hummm :?

MJ is the dude.
The Mecca of Mess
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Michael Cunningham
@MCunninghamAJC
Knicks plan to talk to Hawks coach Budenholzer about their vacancy, according to league source. Still not ruled out that Budenholzer eventually returns to ATL.
3:50 PM · Apr 20, 2018
Fxck Adam Silver
taowave

WHAT????????????

Are you throwing a backhand compliment at my man Woodson??????????????????????

better late than never :drunk:

I think you are confusing who I was referring to when i talked about relating to todays players and coaches..

I was referring to Blatt. I personally find him a bit abrasive and am tired of the ridiculous shit that has gone on the last 3 years. I am not sure he can relate to NBA players..

I definitely wasn't referring to Mark Jackson..He was my first choice until I read the statement by Lacob saying 200 people hated Mark..(Except for the players,which is pretty dam important)..

I even responded to you saying my 3 guys were the same as you,but I keep flip flopping..I think Mike B from Atlanta is interesting as well..

BTW,as much as I hated D'antoni(for submarining Starbury),he has revolutionised the game..

Red wrote:
This one is for you tao. So you believe a relatively young African American male from BK can't relate or know how to communicate in today's nba? And still he's received well on national television... but some country Italian dude (picking on D'antoni again- sorry) who ain't even start in anything near today's nba can? In the words of the millennials Huh? WTF? GTFOH.

Look back at our most recent coaches. What do they have in common? All were old white men who had issues relating to some players, from Starbury to Melo.
All except 1.

MJ is the dude.
ISIAH_THOMAS

Fxck Adam Silver
ISIAH_THOMAS

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
The Knicks are meeting with David Blatt in Europe next week on head coaching job, and plan also to interview Spurs assistant coach James Borrego, league sources tell me and
Fxck Adam Silver
ISIAH_THOMAS

Taking monty Williams off poll adding borego
Fxck Adam Silver
NYGM
Likes given: 490

Red wrote:1st on Ego....

Who thinks Greg Popovich or Danny Ainge (just to name two, yes one isn't a coach) don't have egos? Who thinks Doc Rivers doesn't have an ego? Don't fool yourself.

2nd on getting fired....

So do I need to list all the good coaches who were fired? I probably couldn't but we know there are plenty. But someone used that as reasoning for not hiring MJ (I'm too lazy to look back and post the quote) and I'm like wow. A country hick like D'antoni can get fired then rehired time and again but when the "other" guy does it's the end of his career? Really? I'm sure you can read between the lines.

3rd on understanding today's player...

All except 1.

MJ is the dude.
One question..

Why Mark Jackson is not being interviewed for any job opening?..

Guys like Fizdale and Bundeholzer are being considered for other teams.. No other team is showing interest in Mark Jackson..

Matter of fact he seems to be in our radar only because he's a "new york guy"..

I want no part of a big drama show (left that to GGG)..