Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Pick the New Coach

Blatt
10%
Fizdale
29%
Doc Rivers
2%
Mark Jackson
7%
Budenholzer
29%
Messina
No votes
Stackhouse
17%
Borrego
No votes
Becky Hammon
2%
Other
2%

Total votes : 41

Re: Jeff Hornacek thread

Postby cragganmor » March 27, 2018, 10:42 am

Should we be surprised? He learned his craft under Sloan, an old school tough coach, not afraid to challenge his players. Kinda hard to be that type 100% of the time these days, gotta tone it down a bit. The coach should not be your best friend, but someone you respect and believe in; that's leadership. Just look at Pop.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » March 27, 2018, 11:08 am

i think we are seeing that Pop is having issues now as well....Duncan and Pop were the perfect storm...if we had a kawhi situation here with Melo it would be a disaster for the coach we would have.

but...rings give you benefit of the doubt
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » March 27, 2018, 2:15 pm

Don Che wrote:i think we are seeing that Pop is having issues now as well....Duncan and Pop were the perfect storm...if we had a kawhi situation here with Melo it would be a disaster for the coach we would have.

but...rings give you benefit of the doubt

Even Pop had to apologize for "pushing" Lamarcus Aldridge earlier this season as well, something you'd never think Pop would do with any of his star players (he never apologized to Parker or Ginobili when he pissed them off)

That is saying a lot about this "old school mindset" of coaching in today's NBA.........the players know they control the job of the coach, and the player's dissatisfaction will always be in their favor now.
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Don Che » March 27, 2018, 2:33 pm

I agree....and Pop is a real dude..not an "NBA" guy..hes military guy...was almost a spy lol and even he apologized.

Jeff has been in worse situations and ive yet to see him apologize or go about it with the "high road" approach..personally i find it hilarious and awesome but with that said

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/the-knick ... %20buttons

...i think he's gone
Don Che

Postby Red » March 27, 2018, 3:53 pm

The feeling around the league is Hornacek won’t be brought back by Steve Mills and Scott Perry and that the club may target Doc Rivers and Mark Jackson

Is Horny a dead coach walking? Not to complain about him, but I think it's best for us to upgrade to MJ or Doc. Wouldn't Doc want too much power tho?
The thing that separates good from great is consistency.- Red
Red

Postby Don Che » March 27, 2018, 3:56 pm

i dont see either of them as an upgrade when looking at the x's and o's they had with the talent they had

i feel like they'll cause just as much or more drama....I'd respect it more if we just promoted our G League coach that was also an assistant for the Spurs before us. Or Ettore Messina....Fizdale....is the Loyola coach busy next year? Is Jay Wright down to leave Nova?

lets get creative here
Don Che

Postby Mr3037 » March 27, 2018, 5:50 pm

Just caught up on all that's gone on with Horny....

-Noah issue (Which I knew about)
-Porzingis issue in practice
-KOQ going off at him
-Telling THJ to draw up the final play of a game
-Burke waving shit off (After being in the G League 1st half of the year)

I dont expect my coaches/players to be the Von Trapp family but shit, this is a lot more than I'd like to be reading about, tanking or not.
How are you gonna hand over the whiteboard for the final play of the game out of spite? Or allow a player who was in the G League before the TANK was instigated, to wave off your calls/plays?
Oh and for KP to curse you out then something aint right as that mo fo seems placid as fuck!

Losing KP is 1 thing but losing the respect of half your squad is another...

I still dont want Mark Jackson because he's a shimmying punk that I can only really picture in an Indy jersey now. I'd be ok with Doc BUT I do like Don's idea of getting creative.
The last 2 times we've needed a new HC I have wanted us to go down that road but we didnt, hopefully 3rd times a charm!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby Championship 16/17 » March 27, 2018, 6:09 pm

Hiring Mark Jackson would be this season greatest acquisition. I'm hoping he hits it off with Frank and realizes this kid is the real deal and mentors him the right way. I'm hoping Mark Jackson can save Perry and company with this year's draft selection, no faith, last year's pick was Phil's. I hoping he builds up our players and trades them when their value is high, such as Kanter, for something of worth. I'm hoping he realizes you don't tank next season, if you can make some smart trades and sign the right players, while we greatly anticipate KP's return. MJ will get this franchise in the right direction within the first 90 days, he will make wine out of water.
Championship 16/17

Postby Don Che » March 27, 2018, 8:51 pm

Lmaoooo so is Marc the president owner coach and God in this SCenario?

Just curious.....why do you think highly of Marc again?
Don Che

Postby Championship 16/17 » March 27, 2018, 9:57 pm

Lol, don't be ridiculous, clearly I'm comparing Mark Jackson to Jesus. He is gonna be the Knicks savior.
Championship 16/17

Postby NYGM » March 28, 2018, 5:18 am

Championship 16/17 wrote:Lol, don't be ridiculous, clearly I'm comparing Mark Jackson to Jesus. He is gonna be the Knicks savior.

Thank God..

I thought you were comparing him to Fred Jones Wich would have been blasphemy!
NYGM

Postby Rusty La Rue » March 28, 2018, 6:24 am

Let us stay away from Marc Jackson... I do not know why some people believe he is the 2nd coming of Christ...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby spree#8 » March 28, 2018, 7:11 am

These reports of problems with Hornacek make no sense at all if you watch the games.
Here is how I read this season: we started better than expected and competed for the playoffs until our two best players had injuries. Then we lost strategically to improve our lottery odds from 12th best to 9th best and now that the 9th best odds are basically set, the team plays extremely hard. Hornacek challenged the team before the Hornets' game and the team responded. The positive response is all you need to know about the chemistry between coaching staff and team.

The 'examples' for a rebellion/rift are so laughable and very strange coming from a so called sports journalist.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » March 28, 2018, 7:14 am

BTW: THJ drew up a play in a time-out with 8 minutes to go (a bucket by Burke was the result), not the final play for which Burke made the call himself.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » March 28, 2018, 8:38 am

spree#8 wrote:BTW: THJ drew up a play in a time-out with 8 minutes to go (a bucket by Burke was the result), not the final play for which Burke made the call himself.

i thought like you did...like "oh thats a good thing, ppl showing trust"

but the article suggested that it stemmed off Tim being pissed and Jeff let him do it type of thing

i believe they use the word "disappointing " on Tim's feelings before that on a time out or something

Trey not calling atime out....and not taking the pick...i wont lie thats absurd idgaf how good of a game your having...if the coach wants a timeout..u take it.

your not an all star...your not a champion...ur not even a common nba starter...he doesnt have the clout to do something like that.
Don Che

Postby Rusty La Rue » March 28, 2018, 9:13 am

spree#8 wrote:These reports of problems with Hornacek make no sense at all if you watch the games.
Here is how I read this season: we started better than expected and competed for the playoffs until our two best players had injuries. Then we lost strategically to improve our lottery odds from 12th best to 9th best and now that the 9th best odds are basically set, the team plays extremely hard. Hornacek challenged the team before the Hornets' game and the team responded. The positive response is all you need to know about the chemistry between coaching staff and team.

The 'examples' for a rebellion/rift are so laughable and very strange coming from a so called sports journalist.

Agreed Spree... Just watch the games there are no signs of any sort of rebelion... never trust a sports journalist these days :hammer:
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby spree#8 » March 28, 2018, 9:59 am

Don, read my post above the one you quoted. The report doesn't make any sense.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby NewlyKnicked » March 28, 2018, 10:07 am

Rusty La Rue wrote:The 'examples' for a rebellion/rift are so laughable and very strange coming from a so called sports journalist.

Agreed Spree... Just watch the games there are no signs of any sort of rebelion... never trust a sports journalist these days :hammer:[/quote]
Well, I mean just look at the KoQ thingy, there's a pretty obvious sign of discontent right there. From that to open mutiny, idk but you can't say that everything seems lovey dovey in the Knicks world either.

Tim's taking the pen from Horny can also be seen as a good healthy sign of a smart coach willing to trust his wonderful players

OR

as Horny fed up with Tim saying in his ear "Why don't you give the ball to Trey, you numbnut? Even I could be a better coach", then Horny just asking "Oh yeah, you halfwit? Then please do it", and then Tim is like "Sure thing, shitface" and he does draw something for Burke who scores and Tim gives the pen back with a teenager smirk on his face "That's how you do it, noob"
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby spree#8 » March 30, 2018, 4:14 am

And the typical media cycle these days continues: put out a speculative story, create some drama and then bring out a follow-up story denying everything that was said in the first story.
From todays NY Post:
Tim Hardaway Jr. says his chance to draw up a play with a clipboard in the fourth quarter of a one-point game at Charlotte on Monday was genuine boost to his relationship with Jeff Hornacek.

Nobody knows exactly what transpired to prompt Hornacek to spontaneously hand over the clipboard to the Knicks swingman, but Hardaway is delighted it happened — and the man known as “Angry Grandpa” is said to be steaming at anyone wanting to construe the event in a negative light.

In fact, Hardaway told associates the maneuver “was the coolest thing a coach has ever done for me.’’

The play call got his Michigan buddy, Trey Burke, freed up for an mid-range jumper he sank after which Hardaway, on the bench, started swinging a towel in celebration. Hardaway’s father, Tim Sr., is an assistant coach for the Pistons, who visit the Knicks on Saturday. It is believed Hardaway, 26, harbors similar coaching aspirations.

If there is any Knicks revolution against Hornacek because of his lame-duck status, it clearly isn’t coming from Hardaway, who said after the Charlotte game he was “disappointed’’ the coach needed to call a timeout to give Burke a breather.

During the West Coast trip this month, Hardaway said that Hornacek was doing superbly in light of it all.

“He’s doing a great job in a tough situation,’’ Hardaway told The Post. “Coaches are in a tough situation too. It’s easy for him to fold as well. He’s continuing to develop us as ballplayers, continuing to encourage us on both ends of the floor, especially in practice, continuing to have that killer instinct and mentality to instill in the ball club. We appreciate that and we’ll keep on fighting for him.’’

For weeks, Hardaway said the team’s depressed state (27-49) was due to his six-week absence because of a stress reaction and Kristaps Porzingis’ ACL tear Feb. 8, which will put him out until at least around Christmas — and not because of the coach.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Red » March 30, 2018, 5:33 am

Don Che wrote:i dont see either of them as an upgrade when looking at the x's and o's they had with the talent they had

i feel like they'll cause just as much or more drama....I'd respect it more if we just promoted our G League coach that was also an assistant for the Spurs before us. Or Ettore Messina....Fizdale....is the Loyola coach busy next year? Is Jay Wright down to leave Nova?

lets get creative here

I picked Jax due to being a former pg, former Knick, and I gave partial credit for GS's rise. Not necessarily the best reasons. Oh and he should know defense.

But you don't consider Doc an upgrade? Cmon Don.

We need the coach/fo to make the right decisions this draft and we need someone who can take Nitti or any new starting PG to the next level. I can't agree on believing Hornacek would be better than Doc or Jax.

And if they're not upgrades in your opinion who is? :?

It just occurred to me that Hornacek is another PJ pick up. If he rates high, and if Nitti pans out that's saying something especially if KP can return to form and obviously if both continue to improve. Jusy sayin' 8-)
The thing that separates good from great is consistency.- Red
Red

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks