Are we winning the Melo trade?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Are we winning the Melo trade?

Postby Minkaveli » November 16, 2017, 7:51 am

Thoughts?
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Minkaveli

Re: Are we winning the Melo trade?

Postby nazrmohamed » November 16, 2017, 8:11 am

I'd say so from a production standpoint. I still think that we should've insisted on a first rounder. It coulda been 3 yrs from now but it woulda been something to look forward to.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby spree#8 » November 16, 2017, 8:28 am

Don't forget Chicago's second rounder. That one should be pretty high. Considering Melo's age I think we got a good return. Still like the trade. For both sides. OKC will come around and getting George/Anthony helped them to convince Westbrook to stay.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby thewatcher » November 16, 2017, 8:35 am

Yes it could be a win-win, to be determined for them by Melo in the playoffs. For us it's already a landslide win; the melo we traded for was long gone, but he still wanted all the big shots and didn't want to hustle on d; his best position also turned out to be KP's best position; so a win in addition by subtraction. now consider we got a starter in kanter and a rotation player in Doug, it's pretty great.

It comes down to kanter's 30 pound weight loss this summer, he now has a crazy motor, perfectly suited to do the dirty work and take pressure off of KP. he's also a leader it seems, tough but also comedic. I think we can get him into a nicely priced extension this summer.
I think McDermitt can also improve, lose some baby fat, and get hot from 3. (good call Max)
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby taowave » November 16, 2017, 8:41 am

We did as well as humanly possible,and Melo had to go no matter what.
taowave

Postby Koopa Troopa » November 16, 2017, 8:43 am

The record books are probably gonna say yes. OKC, even if they figure it all out OKC still has little to no chance of beating the Warriors in the playoffs. The move reeks of desperation to keep Westbrook there. After trading Harden and eventually losing Durant, OKC's management is looking just as bad as the Knicks.

But the reality was OKC was desperate and yet the Knicks couldn't even get a single first round pick? Not even a year 2047 pick? :drunk:

If the argument is "Phil killed Melo's value" then why are we OK with Phil not being fired months, months, MONTHS earlier. I guess what it really boils down to is: Dolan's a bum. :drunk:
Koopa Troopa

Postby dcapodic » November 16, 2017, 9:07 am

taowave wrote:We did as well as humanly possible,and Melo had to go no matter what.

Simple, addition by subtraction. This trade would have been worth it if we got back a pair of smelly sweat socks.

I can't remember the last time this team was as exciting to watch or showed the effort they do night in and night out. There is hope in having the young players. They show fire. They show toughness.

The other night against the Cavs, does that happen with Melo here? No, Melo would have been laughing and yucking it up with Lebron and kissing his a@@. When was the last time you saw the Knicks win a game like last night?!? It seemed like they were a bit flat, maybe out of gas but they got it together when it counts and won. This is the exact opposite of what this team has done for years. They also play defense now, I cannot remember the last time I said that about the Knicks.

Addition by subtraction, Kanter, McBuckets, etc. are just throw ins.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby taowave » November 16, 2017, 9:12 am

Koopa,only the Philidiots we're OK with Phil destroying Melo's value and KP's spirit..

Koopa Troopa wrote:The record books are probably gonna say yes. OKC, even if they figure it all out OKC still has little to no chance of beating the Warriors in the playoffs. The move reeks of desperation to keep Westbrook there. After trading Harden and eventually losing Durant, OKC's management is looking just as bad as the Knicks.

But the reality was OKC was desperate and yet the Knicks couldn't even get a single first round pick? Not even a year 2047 pick? :drunk:

If the argument is "Phil killed Melo's value" then why are we OK with Phil not being fired months, months, MONTHS earlier. I guess what it really boils down to is: Dolan's a bum. :drunk:
taowave

Postby NewlyKnicked » November 16, 2017, 9:47 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:But the reality was OKC was desperate and yet the Knicks couldn't even get a single first round pick? Not even a year 2047 pick? :drunk:

OKC already had PG to keep Westbrook happy. They didn't need Melo.

Imo we were in a more desperate situation trying to start a rebuild with the cumbersome presence of a sulking Melo looming over us. Without a trade, what should we have done with him? Bench, start, limit his minutes? There was a heated discussion about that in another topic. His value was going in only one direction, down, slowing our rebuild and polluting our locker room in the process. It's not a shot at Melo, I think he really tried to make it work and showed as much composure as possible with someone like Phil taking shots at him every chance he got. However Melo wanting to leave after all these years of stating NY was his city showed that there was no turning back at that point.

In addition, I don't think many people thought Kanter and Doug would be this useful and fit this well.

Finally the 2nd round is going to be real close to any 1st round from OKC.

So, let's enjoy, yeah :drunk:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Nononsense » November 16, 2017, 10:42 am

Yes.
Nononsense

Postby Championship 16/17 » November 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

^^^^Agreed. Kanter is increasing his trade value everyday if the Knicks want to make a trade by the deadline, which I think the Knicks should entertain, even though I'm starting to like Kanter. I would make a run at DeMarcus Cousins or a small Forward if we realize we will NOT get a top 10 Draft pick. You could trade Doug McDermott and Michael Beasley for Lance Stephenson right now, to run your PG with the second unit and for someone to knock Lebron on his ass. You get a SF, that moves Lee behind THJ which would make our 2nd unit even stronger.

With the assets we got in return from the Melo trade gives us options
Last edited by Championship 16/17 on November 16, 2017, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Championship 16/17

Postby Don Che » November 16, 2017, 12:50 pm

100% friend of mine is a thunder fan and everything he says is things we've said here for years lol

Doug and Kanter are a huge part of our offense...Doug doesnt hurt our defense...Kanter tries but just doesnt have the mobility to be the defender we want.
Don Che

Postby Championship 16/17 » November 16, 2017, 1:04 pm

Don Che wrote:
Kanter tries but just doesnt have the mobility to be the defender we want.

He better try harder, so we can keep him in the game when it counts.
Championship 16/17

Postby thewatcher » November 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

No you should try harder. Kanter is a keeper. Cousins, Stephenson, LeBron :arrow: All TERRIBLE ideas
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby nazrmohamed » November 16, 2017, 1:47 pm

Championship 16/17 wrote:^^^^Agreed. Kanter is increasing his trade value everyday if the Knicks want to make a trade by the deadline, which I think the Knicks should entertain, even though I'm starting to like Kanter. I would make a run at DeMarcus Cousins or a small Forward if we realize we will NOT get a top 10 Draft pick. You could trade Doug McDermott and Michael Beasley for Lance Stephenson right now, to run your PG with the second unit and for someone to knock Lebron on his ass. You get a SF, that moves Lee behind THJ which would make our 2nd unit even stronger.

With the assets we got in return from the Melo trade gives us options

I'm in the same mindset with you on the trade value of vets and Kanters been on my list but he might just save himself from my purge. In reality his still only 25 but if the right deal comes along I gotta do it.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Championship 16/17 » November 16, 2017, 1:59 pm

thewatcher wrote:No you should try harder. Kanter is a keeper. Cousins, Stephenson, LeBron :arrow: All TERRIBLE ideas

Lol, I hate Lebron, when did I say Lebron. And Kanter is not a keeper as of yet and any proposed trade at the deadline will certainly include him. Keep building that trade value Kanter so we can ship that ass for a legit SF and start Willy at center so we can balance out this roster. People forget how good Willy is, here is a reminder.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6w7XyMehiMQ

I'm starting to like Kanter but it just makes sense to trade him when his value is high. The question is what small Forward would you trade Kanter for, and who will be available at the trade deadline.

I keep hearing that Willy is in the Knicks plans for the future, and that is no way the truth if Kanter is here. I believe you haven't seen Willy bc we are protecting Willy from increasing his trade value. We are show casing Kanter to ship him, that's what I believe.
Championship 16/17

Postby thewatcher » November 16, 2017, 2:11 pm

Willie will be kuzmingis next yeat.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby Championship 16/17 » November 16, 2017, 2:22 pm

thewatcher wrote:Willie will be kuzmingis next yeat.

Yeah, do that and see if KP and his brother approve of that.
Championship 16/17

Postby thewatcher » November 16, 2017, 2:27 pm

Listen I'm an old timer and this notion that grown men have anything but professional relations with their colleagues is foreign to me. KP wants to make the playoffs and all star game. The rest is nonsense.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby Championship 16/17 » November 16, 2017, 2:32 pm

thewatcher wrote:Listen I'm an old timer and this notion that grown men have anything but professional relations with their colleagues is foreign to me. KP wants to make the playoffs and all star game. The rest is nonsense.

Can we get a third opinion on this? You move Willy or waive him, it could cause KP to look else where. Your love affair for Kanter could implode in our faces. You do what makes KP happy, not kanter.
Championship 16/17

Next

Return to New York Knicks