Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Don Che wrote:that would be one skinny back court...it would work in 2k..not sure about real life.
Noel has been eating hotdogs :D
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Don Che
Likes given: 9

haha if hes in the 235-245 range...i'd be open to that idea.

Defensively we'd be able to switch a ton
Don Che

https://nypost.com/2018/05/11/joakim-no ... %20buttons

i know some would rather stretch his contract but i'd rather just let him play.

rebounds/defense/passes at a high level...i'd let it rock. Him playing 15-20 and teaching the young guys will help them.

plus I'd rather play him since hes under contract...and let Kanter/Kyle walk.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

i don't think anyone here wants to stretch his contract. Unless its the only difference between getting kawhi and not getting kawhi, I wouldn't even consider it. No one else is worth carrying that contract longer than we need to.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che

yeh its just not the right move in this situation...but I will admit..i'm biased i was a big Noah fan and want him to compete.

and I am 100% sure that if he signs with a contender hes going to play great and that would just piss me off.

if Kanter/Kyle walk. I'd look into Looney/Randle/Noel(as mentioned earlier and may not be as bad as i originally thought) ...whoever is cheapest or management likes more. I'm good with they all provide something this team sorely lacks while all being under 24 all 3 rebound well also which we will need once Kanter leaves.

It just sucks because Kanter is the man...but in today's NBA you can't be a starting 5 that can't protect the paint/defend the perimeter on defense and Pass from the high post/shoot 3's on offense if needed.

if Kanter was able to do those things on defense i'll live with the offensive shortcomings but he struggles at all those things...i do see him getting 3 point range tho ..he has good form on his shot.
Don Che

Overview of Noel so far
spree#8
Likes given: 540

H20Knick wrote:i don't think anyone here wants to stretch his contract. Unless its the only difference between getting kawhi and not getting kawhi, I wouldn't even consider it. No one else is worth carrying that contract longer than we need to.
Agreed. Stretching Noah only makes sense if the extra cap space enables us to sign a difference maker. If O'Quinn and Kanter opt out, we can create 30 mill in cap room by stretching Noah. If those 30 mill can be used for a star, it could be worth it. Unlikely and I don't expect it, just saying that there can be situations where stretching him (if we can't reach a buyout agreement - which might make the most sense) can be an option. But the point of this also means: you only waive and stretch him if you can be a player that way in free agency by doing it. That's why Berman's insistence that we wait until September 1 to stretch him over fewer years is so absurd: IMO you only waive him if you have a free agent deal lined up and that likely won't happen after September 1. So my guess would be, that Noah stays a Knick until he gets traded or bought out. Whether that means he gets invited back to the team remains to be seen and probably has to do with what actually happened in practice.
Last edited by spree#8 on May 11th, 2018, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
Don Che

its funny that we only shed salary for certain players but never do it for future flexibility.

id let both bigs walk and even try to get out of one of our longer contracts and stand pat.

Noah i'd keep purely because of how much hes getting paid and i just like his game.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

^^^agreed. The Sixers during thier process were a team that benefited from keeping open salary cap. Twice during thier process they were able to absorb salary in exchange for extra draft picks
Don Che

and now...they have 2 generational talents and have the $$ to get a max guy.

Sometimes the smartest thing you can do...is let a player walk or trading a long contract that may hurt you today but will help you tomorrow.

especially now since we arent making the playoffs anyway.
H20Knick

Where was all this sensibility when I wanted to give melo away for a second round pick just to protect the tank and shed contracts?

If Kanter isnt the future, you let him walk. Same with kyle. No debate necessary. I dont know why the knicks feel like they haaave to spend every ounce of cap space they see. Jerome James, Noah, THJ. Just keep it for someone that matters
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
dcapodic
Likes given: 0

H20Knick wrote:Where was all this sensibility when I wanted to give melo away for a second round pick just to protect the tank and shed contracts?

If Kanter isnt the future, you let him walk. Same with kyle. No debate necessary. I dont know why the knicks feel like they haaave to spend every ounce of cap space they see. Jerome James, Noah, THJ. Just keep it for someone that matters
Good luck trying to get peeps to understand this :) I have been beating this drum for a while.

Yea, it i snot easy to state definitively, this person is/is not part of the future but with guys that you know aren't, why bother? There was a time when teams wanted to at least put a representative team on the floor but with today's draft rules and the fact that the Garden sells out every game despite how bad the Knicks have sucked for years.....every ounce of energy and resources should go towards building a winner in the future.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Don Che

Its just annoying because we can want anything but its really on kanter ...if he opts in we don't really control the situation.

Melo for 2nd rounders would of been nice but no team had cap space to take a max deal while being a team that Melo wanted to go to.

Melo was probably a situation that we should of released him. We take hits this past year and next but we would of clearly been a lottery team and not have this lingering kanter situation. Media and fan base would of flipped out though
cheftom

Agree with the people advocating keeping cap space. It's not about saving Dolan money.

There are a number of advantages to having cap space which I was going to start to enumerate, but I find I'm too tired.

It's been a long day at work and I'm just taking a short break. Gotta get back to work. :(
Overly optimistic about the Knicks since 1974
gradyandrew

Don Che wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/05/11/joakim-no ... %20buttons

i know some would rather stretch his contract but i'd rather just let him play.

rebounds/defense/passes at a high level...i'd let it rock. Him playing 15-20 and teaching the young guys will help them.

plus I'd rather play him since hes under contract...and let Kanter/Kyle walk.
Any hope for him seems like fool's gold. He has 0 confidence and abilityon offense, he's unplayable. I see him eventually being bought out and then going to Boston.
Randle in the Rafters
gradyandrew

Don Che wrote:and now...they have 2 generational talents and have the $$ to get a max guy.

Sometimes the smartest thing you can do...is let a player walk or trading a long contract that may hurt you today but will help you tomorrow.

especially now since we arent making the playoffs anyway.
The only games I've ever really seen Embiid play were the Boston series. Boston's entire crunch time offense was getting Embiid in pick and rolls and thenscore off of whatevermistakehe made. He was the worst player on the court.
Randle in the Rafters
Mr3037

So Baker opted in as expected........just wish bloody Kanter & KOQ made their decisions!!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

Mr3037 wrote:So Baker opted in as expected........just wish bloody Kanter & KOQ made their decisions!!
The Baker opt in was never in doubt... I think Kanter will follow soon and also opt in... But I expect KOQ to opt out...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
shakespeare

Has Kanter opted in, yet?

If so, then I can let go of this dream that we stole Clint Capela in free agency.
#TeamTank
spree#8
Likes given: 540

shakespeare wrote:Has Kanter opted in, yet?

If so, then I can let go of this dream that we stole Clint Capela in free agency.
Won't be known until closer to July 1. He has until the 29th of June to decide if I'm not mistaken.
#knickstape