Trey Burke anyone?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Trey Burke anyone?

Postby Minkaveli » January 4, 2018, 10:26 am

The guy is killing it in Westchester. How about sending Dotson down and giving him a look?
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Minkaveli

Re: Trey Burke anyone?

Postby Don Che » January 4, 2018, 10:50 am

id just release sessions

id also release dotson at the end of the year if he doesnt show a pulse
Don Che

Postby PistolPete » January 4, 2018, 11:02 am

Don Che wrote:
id also release dotson at the end of the year if he doesnt show a pulse

What's the story with Dotson? The kid can shoot from what I've seen. Needs to get some more playing time if you ask me.
PistolPete

Postby Don Che » January 4, 2018, 11:05 am

yeh i see flashes of good and bad...reminds me of Demitris Nichols...def has a skill set but can easily see him not make it.
Don Che

Postby NYGM » January 4, 2018, 11:28 am

What we need is to clear space and playing time for both..

Burke is no rookie, he is what he is.. I'm ok with giving him a chance..

Dotson OTOH needs playing time to see what he can do.. But that will come later on the season IMO..

After the trade deadline we should be able to give them a look after making some moves.
NYGM

Postby Koopa Troopa » January 4, 2018, 11:55 am

NYGM wrote:What we need is to clear space and playing time for both..

Burke is no rookie, he is what he is.. I'm ok with giving him a chance..

Dotson OTOH needs playing time to see what he can do.. But that will come later on the season IMO..

After the trade deadline we should be able to give them a look after making some moves.

Id say for now send Baker to the D league and cut Sessions. Baker has killed his own value by playing in NBA games so a demotion to the D league wont hurt his stock. Him with the facemask, the headband over it with his hair tucked in looked like a parody of a basketball player from a Will Farrel-esque movie. He's a joke on the court in every way imaginable at this point.

Burke is at least a guy who isnt 30 years old. And why not give Dotson a shot. What do they have to lose at this point? :?
Koopa Troopa

Postby dcapodic » January 4, 2018, 1:03 pm

I agree that I would like to see them experiment more with the younger guys. To me, that is what this season should be about....finding out what you have got in these younger, unknowns. There are plenty of examples around the league of guys that "came from no where" to be big contributors but you can only discover them if you give them a chance to play.

My guess is that the good start to the season has kinda put the Knicks in a "let's wait and see if we can stay in contention" mode. I feel like one of the worst outcomes would be to be the just on the outside looking in, closely followed by just barely making the playoffs then getting bounced quickly in the first round. I am not big on this idea of "getting playoff experience", so try and sneak in so you can get blown away but get some playoff games. Make the season work for you. Also, you can do that and still work in the younger guys. Is Dotson or Burke really any worse than what they are throwing out there?

They will probably wait until either things get really bad (if they do) or after the trade deadline to see if some spots open up.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby spree#8 » January 4, 2018, 1:40 pm

The question with Burke is whether he wants to sign up with us now. He specifically chose to go through this G-league experience (and specifically chose Westchester) to build his confidence up again and is technically a free agent, so he can choose the best situation for him - unless he gets called up from some team for a 10 day contract, which is possible starting tomorrow. If he wants to sign with us for the rest of the season as a number three instead of Sessions (with the possibility to become more than that), of course we should sign him and waive Sessions. But whether he wants to do that is up to him.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby NYGM » January 4, 2018, 3:42 pm

dcapodic wrote:I agree that I would like to see them experiment more with the younger guys. To me, that is what this season should be about....finding out what you have got in these younger, unknowns. There are plenty of examples around the league of guys that "came from no where" to be big contributors but you can only discover them if you give them a chance to play.

My guess is that the good start to the season has kinda put the Knicks in a "let's wait and see if we can stay in contention" mode. I feel like one of the worst outcomes would be to be the just on the outside looking in, closely followed by just barely making the playoffs then getting bounced quickly in the first round. I am not big on this idea of "getting playoff experience", so try and sneak in so you can get blown away but get some playoff games. Make the season work for you. Also, you can do that and still work in the younger guys. Is Dotson or Burke really any worse than what they are throwing out there?

They will probably wait until either things get really bad (if they do) or after the trade deadline to see if some spots open up.

I guess this "contention mode" will last until the end of our road trip.. You got to give a chance to the vets to keep themselves in a playoff run..

If we are out of the picture we should be doing some moves and letting our young guys play...
NYGM

Postby dcapodic » January 4, 2018, 3:52 pm

NYGM wrote:
I guess this "contention mode" will last until the end of our road trip.. You got to give a chance to the vets to keep themselves in a playoff run..

If we are out of the picture we should be doing some moves and letting our young guys play...

Yea, I agree this is what they seem to be doing. The main issue is that the "vets" they keep throwing out are not very good and it would seem they cold get just as much from a younger player with some potential upside. The way things are shaping up, if things start to slide south during this month of road games, I expect the Knicks to consider trading almost anyone not named KP or Frank. No sense keeping guys that aren't winning and don't provide a future.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby Mr3037 » January 4, 2018, 9:01 pm

Minkaveli wrote:The guy is killing it in Westchester. How about sending Dotson down and giving him a look?

I'd prefer to release Sessions, I mean what's his role at the moment anyway?

Sending Dotson down isnt a bad idea either though as it may help him get some confidence.

PS: I just watched your battle vs Kronic W. Good stuff man, loved the algorithm/metabolism bar!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby Minkaveli » January 4, 2018, 9:48 pm

Mr3037 wrote:

PS: I just watched your battle vs Kronic W. Good stuff man, loved the algorithm/metabolism bar!

Thanks homie! Do you follow Ground Zero battles? Crazy how people from all over the world watch. Much appreciated! I'm battling a girl at the end of this month. Will be a fun challenge.
Minkaveli

Postby Don Che » January 5, 2018, 8:50 am

Release sessions...... conversation over
Don Che

Postby rebound » January 5, 2018, 9:30 am

Haven't been watching games lately. Would be nice for this shitty team to try a move like this. Nothing to lose.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Isa Soulstar » January 6, 2018, 2:51 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.3737212

Some in Knicks organization want to call up Trey Burke

Burke, a 25-year-old point guard, signed with the Knicks in October but was immediately released and sent down to the G-League team in Westchester, where he’s averaging 27.3 points and shooting nearly 50 percent.

For the Knicks, the chance of losing Burke increases if he’s not called up before the G League Showcase, which starts Jan. 10 in Toronto. It is the league’s premier scouting event. Burke, a former lottery pick and teammate of Tim Hardaway Jr. at Michigan, can be scooped up by any NBA team.

New York’s current starting point guard, Jarrett Jack, is the only Knick on a non-guaranteed deal. His contract will become guaranteed if he’s not cut by Jan. 7 because it takes a full 48 hours to clear waivers (the guarantee date is technically Jan. 10)
oOoO...Friends don't let friends VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
Isa Soulstar
Writer

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » January 6, 2018, 3:01 pm

Just cut sessions already
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » January 8, 2018, 6:51 pm

Sources: The New York Knicks and Trey Burke of G League Westchester are in serious talks on a deal, with the guard expected to be held out of the showcase and an agreement as soon as the weekend.

Shams
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby spree#8 » January 8, 2018, 7:36 pm

Would love it. If we get him, everything worked out to perfection. He got to build his confidence up again, leading our G-League team and we get another prospect for the second half of the year. Hopefully nobody snatches him with a better offer/situation, but the reports sound good at the moment:

Burke can sign with any team at the moment, but sources with knowledge of the situation say Burke would prefer strongly to sign with New York, even if other teams express interest.

Hope these sources (via ESPN) are right. I also wonder whether a G-League player can decline a call-up by an NBA team or if he has to go. If Burke can decline a call-up from another team, our chances obviously would increase.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Minkaveli » January 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Sources: The New York Knicks and Trey Burke of G League Westchester are in serious talks on a deal, with the guard expected to be held out of the showcase and an agreement as soon as the weekend.

Shams

YES!
Minkaveli

Postby Koopa Troopa » January 8, 2018, 9:00 pm

I dont see a reason why he would want to sign with another team. This is the only team in the entire league where Burke could possibly earn himself a starting job within a few weeks.
Koopa Troopa

Next

Return to New York Knicks