Kanter needs to be traded

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby NewlyKnicked » February 1, 2018, 5:30 am

taowave wrote:He doesn't defend and I really like him

:clap:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
User avatar
NewlyKnicked
 
Joined: November 2, 2016, 12:08 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Championship 16/17 » February 1, 2018, 11:31 am

Anybody see a potential deal with the Lakers?

Maybe Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle, Luol Deng for Enes Kanter, Joakim Noah, and 18 & 19th second round picks, not our Chicago 2nd round pick.
Championship 16/17
 
Joined: May 31, 2015, 4:18 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby H20Knick » February 1, 2018, 12:29 pm

Kanter has the 14th highest per in the entire nba right now. He's 20th in Value added, and 19th in estimated wins added. Just remember that rebounding is a crucial part of defense and he's the best one we have. Unless its for a lottery pick, I can't trade Kanter at this point. The guy has been a gift from the basketball heavens.
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Doncic express!
User avatar
H20Knick
 
Joined: August 11, 2004, 11:42 pm
Location: nova/dc metro

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Championship 16/17 » February 1, 2018, 1:27 pm

The Unicorn is a gift from the gods. Kanter is fools gold, you trade him while his value is high.

Your NOT getting a lottery pick for Kanter!

We need a coach next season to light a fire under KP with his rebounding, he is focused too much on scoring. There is no reason KP should not be averaging 10 rebounds a game. That's a coaching issue.

The knicks will regret trading Willy or Quinn over Kanter. You trade Willy and see him start on another team with 25 minutes a game, your gonna regret seeing him blossom.

Willy should be starting next to KP, again this is a coaching issue. Frank should be starting as well.

Fck Burke, if you think he is a gift from the gods as well, I can't help you. Your far too gone.

Separate issue, our 1st round pick should be Doncic and Willy played with Doncic before. I'm hearing the Knicks want to sent Noah with our 1st round pick, I guess the Knicks front office is far too gone as well.

I agree with the below article, keep Willy, he is too connected.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/24/hernangom ... nion-with/
Last edited by Championship 16/17 on February 1, 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Championship 16/17
 
Joined: May 31, 2015, 4:18 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby nazrmohamed » February 1, 2018, 1:31 pm

H20Knick wrote:Kanter has the 14th highest per in the entire nba right now. He's 20th in Value added, and 19th in estimated wins added. Just remember that rebounding is a crucial part of defense and he's the best one we have. Unless its for a lottery pick, I can't trade Kanter at this point. The guy has been a gift from the basketball heavens.


While I agree. He definitely has his flaws though. At the point at which we are contending I still think Kanter is a backup but right now I have no desire to trade him for an upgrade. I've told you before that I like a couple Cs in the draft but I don't think we're gonna be in range of them anyway.

My thinking originally was that because of all the nice things you just said, by trading him for that first rounder even if not a lottery pick it would charge our trajectory. And by doing so it would garauntee our own pick be a top 3 pick. In other words forced tanking

But I like Kanter too much for that and I could probably get the sane effect by trading Lee and Oquinn :D
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 9:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Don Che » February 2, 2018, 1:44 am

Kanter makes over 15 mill a year now....he may demand a increase.

On a contender...is he a starter?

Are you willing to pay kanter 18 mill a year..Noah 18 mill a year and KP...25 mill a year?.... that's roughly 60 mill a year on 3 players that possibly play the same position.....a position that is currently dying in the NBA?

We need to balance this team and invest on the wing.

I totally get that Kanter is the man but.....it just compounds a problem that the last regime started. Let him ball out...opt out and get his money elsewhere
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby NewlyKnicked » February 2, 2018, 6:14 am

Phil is gonna cost us a young, talented (even tho not perfect), gritty player. Freaking shame :hammer:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
User avatar
NewlyKnicked
 
Joined: November 2, 2016, 12:08 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Rusty La Rue » February 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Don Che wrote:Kanter makes over 15 mill a year now....he may demand a increase.

On a contender...is he a starter?

Are you willing to pay kanter 18 mill a year..Noah 18 mill a year and KP...25 mill a year?.... that's roughly 60 mill a year on 3 players that possibly play the same position.....a position that is currently dying in the NBA?

We need to balance this team and invest on the wing.

I totally get that Kanter is the man but.....it just compounds a problem that the last regime started. Let him ball out...opt out and get his money elsewhere


We will only have that scenario in the last year of Noah's contract... because that is when we need to pay KP (and Kanter if he opts in next season)... So I do not think that is an issue because that is when you can actually move Noah for a high paid wing or guard on a longer contrat if you choose...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue
 
Joined: November 10, 2004, 7:41 am
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby taowave » February 2, 2018, 9:15 am

In my mind, Kanter is the biggest pickle..

On paper,he and KP look like they should really compliment each other..

Perhaps it's an illusion and they both suck on the defensive end??




Don Che wrote:Kanter makes over 15 mill a year now....he may demand a increase.

On a contender...is he a starter?

Are you willing to pay kanter 18 mill a year..Noah 18 mill a year and KP...25 mill a year?.... that's roughly 60 mill a year on 3 players that possibly play the same position.....a position that is currently dying in the NBA?

We need to balance this team and invest on the wing.

I totally get that Kanter is the man but.....it just compounds a problem that the last regime started. Let him ball out...opt out and get his money elsewhere
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby shakespeare » February 2, 2018, 11:19 am

The Porzingis blessing is real.
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 2:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Don Che » February 2, 2018, 11:42 am

Rusty...even if you take off 25 mill on that do you really want to pay Kanter 18 and Noah 18?

Thats just bad business. You dont pay close to 20 mill a year for a player that isnt a starter on a playoff team and defends multiple positions..period. Phil already made that mistake once..its too late..nothing we can do.

doing that with Kanter...while he is the man/great team guy/very productive...hes just not that guy.

I dont think Kanter and KP are that bad individually but dont over think it....KP is literally one of the best rim protectors in the game and not really good at defending the 3. Kanter...can't defend the perimeter and gives effort in the paint but really doesnt alter anything, he doesnt jump high and hes not really a high end wingspan guy, his wingspan is closer to Franks than it is to Robin Lopez.

Kanter and KP need an athlete next to them that can cover them...KP is the franchise..so Kanter gotta go...trade him for a perimeter player and future assets

Kanter doesnt make business sense and doesnt make defensive sense..we all knew this the moment the trade happened. You guys saw him play well and got a soft spot for the guy...i get it but looking at this team lose its obv that Kanter isnt the answer at the 5.
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby H20Knick » February 2, 2018, 12:03 pm

What does Noah's contract have to do with anything? He's going to be gone. Kanter at what THJ makes isn't a bad deal. It's not going to kill us. Yeah, we're cap strung until Noah's here, but that really isn't a big deal We have enough gaps that waiting for Noah's contract to expire isn't a problem at all for our current trajectory. Everyone around here touts projects and youth and then you get a 25 year old whose 11th in the league in rebounds and 4th in FG% when your "franchise big" is 44th in rebounds and 93rd in FG% . This is absolutely what I meant by not wanting to "build around" KP. Outside of blocks, its hard to find any metric by which KP has even outplayed Kanter this year. If we're going to just move Kanter for the sake of finding a better big to match with KP, what do you even look for? You want a guy who is going to guard perimeter shooters better AND you want a guy who is going to physically matchup with real Cs better AND he needs to be an above average rebounder? If you dont end up with a top 5 draft pick, who matches this description that isn't going to be a near max contract and that is actually going to want to play here?

Nazr's argument is the only one that's compelling. We have to move him for any decent shot at being bad enough for a top 5 pick and a top 5 pick could be better than Kanter, and that's a chance i'm always willing to take. But other than that, I definitely don't want to hear about why it doesn't work alongside Joahkim's old ass and his contract or how KP needs some NBA2k center to play next to him.

Kanter could absolutely start at C on a playoff team with a stretch 4 who could defend the perimeter and block shots inside.
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Doncic express!
User avatar
H20Knick
 
Joined: August 11, 2004, 11:42 pm
Location: nova/dc metro

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Don Che » February 2, 2018, 12:18 pm

couldnt even read passed your first sentence without smh.

you dont invest in Kanter at the same price tag of Noah...its bad business.

Lol and your repeating my same exact point about Kanter and KP...Kanter could possibly start on a good team but he would need a pure athlete that can defend the 3 and the rim. Issue is KP isnt that guy and KP needs the same exact thing Kanter would need in a front line duo so....its simple..KP is younger/the franchise/atm cheaper so.....Kanter gotta go they are both a liability on the defensive end...along with Jack but thats another issue.


If we trade Kanter and lose enough for a top 5 pick..im good with that...im also good with trading Kanter for a wing and stay at the 12th pick...the investment of putting most of your cap on one position is just not smart regardless of your trajectory. that 18-22 mill should be spent else where on the roster even if we hold onto it for the year after or year after that...either way...Kanter and KP isnt a good fit on defense and I'd take KP over Kanter.

If you would take Kanter over Kp...thats adorable but not one GM in the NBA would agree with you nor the GM we have now.

For the Kanter lovers the only chance we have...is if we get elite defenders at the 3/2/1 .....Frank can take one of those spots but thats really about it the rest of the perimeter guys are average talent wise on that side of the floor. Maybe there is a way to make Kanter/KP work but i feel like that requires more time and work to resolve than just getting rid of him and drafting JJJ or Robert Williams or Bamba ....that is legit an issue resolved in a couple months...fixing the perimeter on defense(let alone offense) to cater to Kanter/KP can take a couple more years.

you say nba2k center next to him....that center or PF w/e you wanna call it is in this draft..thats my point...you can upgrade over Kanter in June with or without him playing the rest of the games.
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby taowave » February 2, 2018, 12:22 pm

So is Kanter a good fit or bad fit with KP??

The numbers .i.e W/L would indicate not great....your analysis would indicate not great

I am absolutely lost as to what we do with Kanter other than sign him on the cheap and possibly as a backup...



H20Knick wrote:What does Noah's contract have to do with anything? He's going to be gone. Kanter at what THJ makes isn't a bad deal. It's not going to kill us. Yeah, we're cap strung until Noah's here, but that really isn't a big deal We have enough gaps that waiting for Noah's contract to expire isn't a problem at all for our current trajectory. Everyone around here touts projects and youth and then you get a 25 year old whose 11th in the league in rebounds and 4th in FG% when your "franchise big" is 44th in rebounds and 93rd in FG% . This is absolutely what I meant by not wanting to "build around" KP. Outside of blocks, its hard to find any metric by which KP has even outplayed Kanter this year. If we're going to just move Kanter for the sake of finding a better big to match with KP, what do you even look for? You want a guy who is going to guard perimeter shooters better AND you want a guy who is going to physically matchup with real Cs better AND he needs to be an above average rebounder? If you dont end up with a top 5 draft pick, who matches this description that isn't going to be a near max contract and that is actually going to want to play here?

Nazr's argument is the only one that's compelling. We have to move him for any decent shot at being bad enough for a top 5 pick and a top 5 pick could be better than Kanter, and that's a chance i'm always willing to take. But other than that, I definitely don't want to hear about why it doesn't work alongside Joahkim's old ass and his contract or how KP needs some NBA2k center to play next to him.

Kanter could absolutely start at C on a playoff team with a stretch 4 who could defend the perimeter and block shots inside.
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby dcapodic » February 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

taowave wrote:So is Kanter a good fit or bad fit with KP??

The numbers .i.e W/L would indicate not great....your analysis would indicate not great

I am absolutely lost as to what we do with Kanter other than sign him on the cheap and possibly as a backup...





I look at this differently....where we the Knicks be without Kanter? KP, to me has played as I would have hoped as far as his scoring. THjr has played well in spurts but been injured and inconsistent....and really that is about the story with the Knicks this season, no one else has made much of an impact. If not for Kanter, this would be a lock top lottery team. Trading him now would give you the tank if that is what people want. Without his inside scoring, they have no other inside threat. Without his rebounding, they have no one else to get them. Yea, KO can rebound but is he gonna make up for Kanter not being there, no.

My point, if a good deal is there for Kanter, I trade him. If not, I don't see the logic of just giving him away for nothing. Why just let an asset walk for nothing? If Kanter walks at season end, you will get that anyway. If he opts in, it is probably more than you want to pay for him but it is 1 year and unless you are planning another tank, you need his numbers to be replaced.

On the draft, NO WAY I want the Knicks to be looking at filling Kanter's spot there. They need wings, athletic ones or a big time PG (why does it seem we are always saying that). In this league, you don't use a lottery pick on a big unless he is a true stud and I am not too sure that kinda player is gonna be there when they draft so why not keep what you have.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Don Che » February 2, 2018, 12:40 pm

i wont lie, I'm a big Kanter fan but like Tao i spent most of this season thinking......wtf do we do here you know?

and one day i saw the Cavs/Warriors play....saw Rockets/Warriors ....saw Toronto and Boston and just trying to pair it off looking at KP/Kanter/Tim/Frank....its just a liability factor just envisioning on how it works out


even the game against Boston...we have no athleticism at any part of the floor outside of Tim....KP is athletic compared to 5's but to 4's hes middle of the pack
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby Don Che » February 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

if we dont trade Kanter nor let him walk


then I am fully on the athletic wing train...but this draft has a lot of good bigs with higher ceilings than Kanter does...Kanter is exactly what he is ..he wont get much better...maybe his passing which i see him taking strides in...this is a front line draft..plenty of combo 5/4 athletes out there.

reminds me of the Jordan Hill draft....we go into it with PG's ALL OVER THE PLACE...and we take Jordan Hill for some odd reason of "fit"...we are in a situation now that we gotta take the BPA available at any position
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby NewlyKnicked » February 2, 2018, 12:51 pm

I agree with H20 in that Noah is pretty much irrelevant to this matter. Whether Joakim is a PG or a C doesn't matter, it's just a 18mil hole in our budget. instead of playing with a 100mil salary cap, we have a 82mil cap courtesy of PJ. That's it.

Now the fact that we also have KoQ and Willy makes Kanter kinda expendable. They'd be downgrades but we DO need wings/PG pretty bad so if thats the price to pay...

For the draft, BPA everyday
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
User avatar
NewlyKnicked
 
Joined: November 2, 2016, 12:08 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby taowave » February 2, 2018, 1:00 pm

DC,I hear you and am lost on what to do with Kanter.
I am guessing he is a decent upgrade over Willie???

You bring up the point that we need wings,and hopefully athletic ones.Agreed.

If we want to get more ATHLETIC,is the answer moving KP to the 5 and hopefully finding a stretch 4 who can defend?

I'm really not sold on anyone on this squad with the exception of KP.

Do you see Frank as a starting PG??
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

Re: Kanter needs to be traded

Postby taowave » February 2, 2018, 1:05 pm

Kanter has been a really pleasant surprise and I really like him,but you Bring up the next big question.Should KP be at the 5 where he truly is a unicorn??



Don Che wrote:i wont lie, I'm a big Kanter fan but like Tao i spent most of this season thinking......wtf do we do here you know?

and one day i saw the Cavs/Warriors play....saw Rockets/Warriors ....saw Toronto and Boston and just trying to pair it off looking at KP/Kanter/Tim/Frank....its just a liability factor just envisioning on how it works out


even the game against Boston...we have no athleticism at any part of the floor outside of Tim....KP is athletic compared to 5's but to 4's hes middle of the pack
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 12 guests

cron