Summer of '18 Free Agents

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Summer of '18 Free Agents

Postby rebound » February 9, 2018, 1:47 pm

1. Gordon. No way ORL lets him walk
2. Parker. Mil probably lets him walk at the max
3. Randle. Lakers keep him at the max if they dont get the super team to assemble.
4. Lavine. Chi will max him
5. Bertans. A new friend for KP? Could be useful if knicks dont draft a PF.
6. Hezonja. I think this kid still has a chance in the league. Bad situation in ORL. Magic wont break the bank for him.

Not considering any centers or pgs.
Team Mills
rebound

Re: Summer of '18 Free Agents

Postby NYGM » February 9, 2018, 1:53 pm

I think we already have a lot of guards..

THJ, Frank, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson even Baker..

Hezonja is not a SF IMO..

So, Randle is intriguing but he can be maxed out by the Lakers or other team..

Mudiay can get a extended look until next year..

If we can get a SF in this year draft or a athletic big who knows?..
NYGM

Postby rebound » February 9, 2018, 1:54 pm

hezonja is 6'8 he's more of a forward than lee or timmy will ever be.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby H20Knick » February 9, 2018, 2:26 pm

Well, we don't have any money. so we're not getting anyone on that list lol
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Donkic express!
H20Knick

Postby big_j_NY » February 9, 2018, 2:40 pm

H20Knick wrote:Well, we don't have any money. so we're not getting anyone on that list lol
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Don Che » February 9, 2018, 2:57 pm

NYGM wrote:I think we already have a lot of guards..

THJ, Frank, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson even Baker..

Hezonja is not a SF IMO..

So, Randle is intriguing but he can be maxed out by the Lakers or other team..

Mudiay can get a extended look until next year..

If we can get a SF in this year draft or a athletic big who knows?..

I agreed with you but interestingly enough my boy thats a Magic fan says Mario does his best at the 4 or 3...he never plays the 2 really which surprises me.
Don Che

Postby rebound » February 9, 2018, 4:50 pm

isn't the cap 108 mil?

knicks are at 94 mil if o'quinn doesn't pick up his option and they let go beas.
thats just a matter of stretching noah or offloading lee for an expiring.

not sure what hezonja would demand but bertans could be had for the MLE im sure.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby rebound » February 9, 2018, 5:02 pm

tough because kp and mudiay are due extensions in 2019 so it's make a FA splash in '18 while they are still on rookie contracts or wait until '20 when noah and lee are off the books.
hard sell for the knicks to tank for 2 more seasons instead of building a team that can grow together starting next season.

i think perry will make it work. :)
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Don Che » February 9, 2018, 5:16 pm

Mario doesnt have much leverage..the reason he's a UFA this summer is because they let go of his rights.

Warriors did that with Looney but they have so many guys to pay so that made sense.

Orlando is a lottery team...and for some reason want him gone. I cant say i'd hate that move just because i credited the nets for getting DLo and Okafor who i think will see success down the line.

but to keep up with Boston/Philly...we gotta do 3 things:

1. Maximize Mudiay, he was compared to John Wall, Tyreke, Jrue Holiday just 2 years ago....Jeff has to get him to that level. I dont think you go from touted franchise PG to scrub in 2 years so Jeff has to get to that untapped potential.
2. Frank has to take strides in his game and break out of his shell
3. We have to draft the rookie of the year...yup, I said it. Which means not only do we have to pick the right guy...we gotta pick the right guy FOR THIS TEAM and he get his numbers

we have over a year to do these things and align this up by the time KP is back at 100%
Don Che

Postby PistolPete » February 9, 2018, 5:44 pm

Knicks should really try to position themselves for Giannis.
PistolPete

Postby NYGM » February 9, 2018, 5:56 pm

rebound wrote:hezonja is 6'8 he's more of a forward than lee or timmy will ever be.

I don't know why i got him as a SG.. Maybe because he's a poor rebounder?..

In this case he could be a SF proyect I guess..

At this point is good to get some talent and see what sticks..
NYGM

Postby NYGM » February 9, 2018, 5:59 pm

rebound wrote:tough because kp and mudiay are due extensions in 2019 so it's make a FA splash in '18 while they are still on rookie contracts or wait until '20 when noah and lee are off the books.
hard sell for the knicks to tank for 2 more seasons instead of building a team that can grow together starting next season.

i think perry will make it work. :)

What about being players in '19? Assuming we can make the playoffs next season..

Not sure about guys like Giannis, but if KP comes back strong and Frank developes who knows?
NYGM

Postby Don Che » February 9, 2018, 6:00 pm

Giannis and Kawhi are the main guys i'd go after
Don Che

Postby Don Che » February 9, 2018, 6:02 pm

if we make the playoffs next year...WITHOUT KP....we are gonna sign someone ABSURD in that offseason.

it would mean we got a lot right.
Don Che

Postby NYGM » February 9, 2018, 6:11 pm

Don Che wrote:Mario doesnt have much leverage..the reason he's a UFA this summer is because they let go of his rights.

Warriors did that with Looney but they have so many guys to pay so that made sense.

Orlando is a lottery team...and for some reason want him gone. I cant say i'd hate that move just because i credited the nets for getting DLo and Okafor who i think will see success down the line.

but to keep up with Boston/Philly...we gotta do 3 things:

1. Maximize Mudiay, he was compared to John Wall, Tyreke, Jrue Holiday just 2 years ago....Jeff has to get him to that level. I dont think you go from touted franchise PG to scrub in 2 years so Jeff has to get to that untapped potential.
2. Frank has to take strides in his game and break out of his shell
3. We have to draft the rookie of the year...yup, I said it. Which means not only do we have to pick the right guy...we gotta pick the right guy FOR THIS TEAM and he get his numbers

we have over a year to do these things and align this up by the time KP is back at 100%

I got this in 2 ways..

1) We need to avoid being undersized at the wings (SG and SF).. Lee and THJ both being 6'5 won't work against Sixers or Celtics, both have some lenght and talent on the wings.. The you draft a Micheal Porter Jr and play bigger and faster..

2) We can obviously upgrade the athleticism at PG/SG with Frank and Mudiay (assuming both pan out) play THJ at SF and draft a modern atheltic big like Jaren Jackson Jr with KP playing C as he matures and get stronger..

Having 2 big guards who can PG and off the ball won't hurt for sure.. Is a low cost high reward move IMO, Mudiay has been improving his 3pt % to a respectable 37% this season..

Fishlips said he needs to finish better at the rim and a change of scenery should help..
NYGM

Postby NYGM » February 9, 2018, 6:16 pm

Don Che wrote:if we make the playoffs next year...WITHOUT KP....we are gonna sign someone ABSURD in that offseason.

it would mean we got a lot right.

I'm talking on the lines of KP coming back strong in January and the team making a run after the all star brake or something like that..

But you got to be able to draft an impact player like Tatum for example, someone who can contribute to get some wins right away..
NYGM

Postby spree#8 » February 9, 2018, 6:33 pm

The cap is assumed to be at 101 and we have 98 without considering cap holds and our rookie coming in. We are capped out until Kanter doesn't pick up his player option. But that's fine, because we are right now in the phase of acquiring low priced talent (via the draft, guys on rookie contracts like Mudiay, ...). We have to go younger, then have to improve mostly from building up our youth before finally looking into the free agent markets later on. We do have the midlevel to go to war though - which is at 8 mill per. We could get one or two fine free agents with that. If we want to keep Beasley, he would have to be fit into that midlevel.

I like the situation, because we shouldn't make long-term decisions on outside free agents before we don't know what we have in our youth and have become more attractive.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » February 9, 2018, 6:37 pm

rebound wrote:isn't the cap 108 mil?

knicks are at 94 mil if o'quinn doesn't pick up his option and they let go beas.
thats just a matter of stretching noah or offloading lee for an expiring.

not sure what hezonja would demand but bertans could be had for the MLE im sure.

Stretching Noah is a really bad idea, because it takes too much money out of the summers when you want to be a player in free agency once we have improved.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » February 9, 2018, 6:39 pm

yeh thats why ive mentioned in other posts that we HAVE to draft an impact player esp if we are below 8th.

Boston is big and athletic at the 2/3...so is Philly

in the top 7 the only SF i see is MPJr...Doncic would be the 2 and you have Frank/Mudiay battle it out.

the possibilities with this group is endless since none of them are a thorough position. Tim to me is a 2 but i see him have a lot of success at the 3 and in today's NBA the 2/3 are the same thing..as long as they are athletic, one can drive the other can shoot it really dont matter what a shooting guard or small forward is as long as the roles are met.

im going into next year that KP isnt playing at all...and if he does he wont be himself till the year after anyway.
Don Che

Postby rebound » February 9, 2018, 6:49 pm

NYGM wrote:
What about being players in '19? Assuming we can make the playoffs next season..

Not sure about guys like Giannis, but if KP comes back strong and Frank developes who knows?

0 cap space with kp and mudiay getting resigned.
Team Mills
rebound

Next

Return to New York Knicks