Kanter is rumored to opt out (and wants to sign with us long term)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Ridiculous.
#TeamTank
noypi
Likes given: 24

“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
taowave
Likes given: 817

Love Kanter,but if he is asking for 4 years, I will personally drive him to the airport...

Our brittle superstar is out till Dec at the earliest,and we should be in tank mode...

Things can change drastically over the next 2 years..

Develop the young guys, lets start focusing on playing D and shooting the long ball..
Don Che
Likes given: 9

we need to move this roster into the next generation of basketball.

you have a 1 and a 5.....and everyone else is just a basketball player. and with Frank and KP being those spots...you could run a squad with 5 guys that can put the ball on the floor and shoot the 3.
Muzhik1

Kaneter is a nice guy, but it's his chance to get paid, so he will probably leave.
Mike1989

I'm not convinced we should re-sign him. Sure he can score and grab rebounds, but his defensive is below average, and in 47 of his 71 games he finished with a negative rating. This is a common trend throughout his career to date and I doubt he is going to improve. At this stage in his career he is what he is. For me the best role for Enes Kanter is the one he held in OKC for two seasons - sixth man duty.

Compare the numbers:

OKC
21.3 MP, 5.6 FGM, 10.2 FGA, .545 FG%, 3.1 FTM, 4.0 FTA, .786 FT%, 2.7 ORB, 4.0 DRB, 6.7 TRB, 0.9 AST, 0.4 STL, 0.5 BLK, 1.7 TOV, 14.3 PPG

NYK
25.8 MP, 5.9 FGM, 10.0 FGA, .592 FG%, 2.2 FTM, 2.6 FTA, .848 FT%, 3.8 ORB, 7.1 DRB, 11.0 TRB, 1.5 AST, 0.5 STL, 0.5 BLK, 1.7 TOV, 14.1 PPG

As you can see his numbers are pretty much the same. He's shot better with us and grabbed more rebounds, but his overall production is pretty much the same. I think that is why we need to be cautious in signing him to an extension because he's not really a starting center on a good team. He is better suited to a role off the bench and should be paid as such. I would have no major issue in us signing him to an extension that is in line with sixth man contracts such as Eric Gordon (four years and $53 million) and Lou Williams ($24 million over three years). But even that is a push and I'd argue a case for letting him walk rather than signing him to an excessive deal because he's just not the type of player you can build a winning team around. What we need at center is a DeAndre Jordan type player to take pressure off KP, or if KP starts playing center we need to find ourselves a power forward that can do a similar job to Paul Millsap or Draymond Green.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Mike1989 wrote:I'm not convinced we should re-sign him. Sure he can score and grab rebounds, but his defensive is below average, and in 47 of his 71 games he finished with a negative rating. This is a common trend throughout his career to date and I doubt he is going to improve. At this stage in his career he is what he is. For me the best role for Enes Kanter is the one he held in OKC for two seasons - sixth man duty.

Compare the numbers:

OKC
21.3 MP, 5.6 FGM, 10.2 FGA, .545 FG%, 3.1 FTM, 4.0 FTA, .786 FT%, 2.7 ORB, 4.0 DRB, 6.7 TRB, 0.9 AST, 0.4 STL, 0.5 BLK, 1.7 TOV, 14.3 PPG

NYK
25.8 MP, 5.9 FGM, 10.0 FGA, .592 FG%, 2.2 FTM, 2.6 FTA, .848 FT%, 3.8 ORB, 7.1 DRB, 11.0 TRB, 1.5 AST, 0.5 STL, 0.5 BLK, 1.7 TOV, 14.1 PPG

As you can see his numbers are pretty much the same. He's shot better with us and grabbed more rebounds, but his overall production is pretty much the same. I think that is why we need to be cautious in signing him to an extension because he's not really a starting center on a good team. He is better suited to a role off the bench and should be paid as such. I would have no major issue in us signing him to an extension that is in line with sixth man contracts such as Eric Gordon (four years and $53 million) and Lou Williams ($24 million over three years). But even that is a push and I'd argue a case for letting him walk rather than signing him to an excessive deal because he's just not the type of player you can build a winning team around. What we need at center is a DeAndre Jordan type player to take pressure off KP, or if KP starts playing center we need to find ourselves a power forward that can do a similar job to Paul Millsap or Draymond Green.

This

its just easier to just let him go. Let Noah be the first big off the bench next year. we arent supposed to be good anyway
taowave

Yup,I am with you guys..
Can't keep on throwing starter money on fringe starters..

Recipie for Mediocrity..
rebound
Likes given: 1103

i'd rather pay gordon,randle or jparker.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
taowave

Anyone watching the Pelicans vs the Blazers??

Anyone think the Pelicans would be up 3-0 if Cousins was in the lineup??

Kanter is no Cousins...

He should be payed backup money
gradyandrew

Do the Knicks even want to use the space if it opens? I get that if a KP extends next season the extension would eat up the space, but I'm in favor of the Knicks tanking all next season and adding one more high draft choice.
Randle in the Rafters
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

My thing is we're sending mixed messages. We all now wanna tank next year (shoulda been this b year), but wanna do so with a new coach?

So who wants to place bets on none of us liking the new coach. Half of us will hate him because he didn't win enough and the other half because we don't lose enough. I seriously don't get why we didn't just keep Hornicek and let this team be trash next season. If you wanna see kids develop we could've just let Kanter walk, maybe give Oquinn a 2mil per year raise and have Kornet pick up the slack....or not wgaf.
NYGM
Likes given: 472

rebound wrote:i'd rather pay gordon,randle or jparker.
Question is how much?
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

The goal for this season sb player development, building a defensive identity. On offense run ball movement and instill a sense of spacing.
Ari_Ingus

nazrmohamed wrote:My thing is we're sending mixed messages. We all now wanna tank next year (shoulda been this b year), but wanna do so with a new coach?

So who wants to place bets on none of us liking the new coach. Half of us will hate him because he didn't win enough and the other half because we don't lose enough. I seriously don't get why we didn't just keep Hornicek and let this team be trash next season. If you wanna see kids develop we could've just let Kanter walk, maybe give Oquinn a 2mil per year raise and have Kornet pick up the slack....or not wgaf.
maybe because of player development ? Letting vets to play 35min on lost season?
rebound
Likes given: 1103

Centers like Kanter have no value in today's NBA.
I'd rather he just opt in and KP sit the season because this team is going nowhere with Kanter on it.
get another top 10 pick and start KP at center 2 seasons from now.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
taowave

I'm with you..pay him backup money at best
rebound wrote:Centers like Kanter have no value in today's NBA.
I'd rather he just opt in and KP sit the season because this team is going nowhere with Kanter on it.
get another top 10 pick and start KP at center 2 seasons from now.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

maybe because of player development ? Letting vets to play 35min on lost season?
Season wasnt lost when those guys played. And who are we talking about exactly, Jared Jack and Courtney Lee? People keep talking about playing vets. Literally 2 players on a 14 man roster and I haven't seen them since KP went down.

Kanter and Hardaway are 25. Oquinn who many here want to stay is older than Kanter. So again, we're sending mixed signals. So development can't mean time on the court cuz Frank got plenty, and anytime he wasnt in the court was used by a D"evelopmental"-league player and another 21 yr old from Denver.

Let's just call it what it is. Jeff wasn't Mills and Perry's guy and was fired after doing everything they asked him to do. A yes man won got used. And I literally do not care, don't take this as support for Jeff. I just don't get why we don't just run it back one more season and tank all over again.

You don't want Jeff to play vets then don't have vets in the team. That was Perry's fault for not being able to trade Kanter or Lee after both were actually playing well, at a point in the season where we were overachieving. Instead they trade a pick for trash Mudaiy.
Last edited by nazrmohamed on April 22nd, 2018, 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taowave

I'm giving everyone but Dolan a free pass..

Can't believe that ass hat felt the need to criticize Jeff publicly..

I get bringing in your own guys, but railing on Jeff was a needless cheap shot
dcapodic

The more I think about this....it is like the Ewing curse has turning into the Melo curse....all remnants of his NYK tenure must be exorcised. I like Kanter but he needs to go to rid the stench of the past from this team.

If he opts in, great he can stay during the disaster that will be next year. If he opts out, cya.

The knicks are actually in an interesting situation right now. Everyone, including their biggest fans agree that next season will be a disaster (at least the first half) how could it be anything else? No need to keep around guys that are not part of the eventual solution, if you so feel they are not. In fact, there is an advantage to not keeping them....more losses.

I HATE the idea of tanking but if you are gonna do it, you gotta do it Marlins style....tear it up and give it to the young guys....you lose and you give your youngins some good PT.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019