How NBA trades are made? (MELO)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

I agree that Dolan was probably involved in the initial trade when Denver... What I heard was he sanctioned that Mozgov should be included in the deal (let us be honest it wouldn't have mattered if we had kept him)... But you guys must also acknowlegde that the Melo we got at that point was not the Melo we remember from his last couple of seasons with the Knicks... He was a superstar back then...

The whole problem was then we were playing great with Felton, Gallinari, Chandler, Amare etc. therefore it didn't fell great to see 3 of those guys leave... But I do not believe Dolan was the only one who believed that getting Melo could be a game changer... And let us be honest that team without Melo wouldn't have gotten us anywhere near a championship especially if you also consider Amare's and Gallinari's injury history the following seasons...

And the ultimate goal shouls always be a championship and I still feel at that point that getting Melo was the right gamble to make... of course when looking back we never got close and as I wrote earlier Melo's time as a Knicks can at best be described as mediocre which of course is a huge dissapointment... but I do not blame Dolan for that gamble I believe 9 out of 10 would have done the same...

And this is not to defend Dolan he has numerous flaws... but I also believe him when he says he let PJ do his thing... so I believe the resigning of Melo was 100% Phil and again there are points for and against that resigning... but just image the shit storm Phil would have gotten if Melo had walked away without any compensation to the Knicks... of course looking back that was what we should have done but that is always easier in hinsight...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Don Che
Likes given: 9

at that point we traded away too many first round picks for the marbury/curry/melo trade to ever really build anything and i know if you look at them on their own it seems small but as they add up your looking at missing like 5 first rounders in 10 years.....in which all 5 were losing seasons...the variables of talent in that span is monumental and for that AND changing regimes every couple of years Melo well we never had a chance to build a winner for him within his prime window there isnt a championship caliber team that didnt draft most of their core just on a salary/age/chemistry level its just crucial to build a lot of your good team in a draft.

i mean even a team like the spurs who have had bad picks for 15 years straight were able to get kawhi(george hill)/danny green/dejounte murray in the first round who are going to take the team over as manu/parker retire... and having that core growing together along with prior success will persuade solid talent to wantto be there.

sadly the prior regimes for all the reasons we named set us back 10 years....we are really at a even space now. just gotta value our picks and keep this regime in tact and as long as they dont jepordize our future as the past has and dont sign every 32 ex all star need to be given time. Perry's first year is really now.

has a 9th pick...new coach to hire and decisions on kanter/kyle

the latter seems small but its crucial to get this right for future flexibility.
Rusty La Rue

Don Che wrote:at that point we traded away too many first round picks for the marbury/curry/melo trade to ever really build anything and i know if you look at them on their own it seems small but as they add up your looking at missing like 5 first rounders in 10 years.....in which all 5 were losing seasons...the variables of talent in that span is monumental and for that AND changing regimes every couple of years Melo well we never had a chance to build a winner for him within his prime window there isnt a championship caliber team that didnt draft most of their core just on a salary/age/chemistry level its just crucial to build a lot of your good team in a draft.

i mean even a team like the spurs who have had bad picks for 15 years straight were able to get kawhi(george hill)/danny green/dejounte murray in the first round who are going to take the team over as manu/parker retire... and having that core growing together along with prior success will persuade solid talent to wantto be there.

sadly the prior regimes for all the reasons we named set us back 10 years....we are really at a even space now. just gotta value our picks and keep this regime in tact and as long as they dont jepordize our future as the past has and dont sign every 32 ex all star need to be given time. Perry's first year is really now.

has a 9th pick...new coach to hire and decisions on kanter/kyle

the latter seems small but its crucial to get this right for future flexibility.
We agree that trading away all those 1st round picks throughout numerous trades has probably been our biggest downfall... But I believe that has to be on the GM, President of Basketball operations etc. and not Dolan... but then again they were hired by him ;)
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
taowave
Likes given: 817

Dolan has mainly gone with the big name hires..

Zeke and Larry Brown, Walsh and Mike D,Phil and and the Triangles..

Perry is low keyed and doesn't appear to make absurd moves..Takes calculated risks with good upside.

Kanter and the next coach will be interesting
Rusty La Rue

taowave wrote:Dolan has mainly gone with the big name hires..

Zeke and Larry Brown, Walsh and Mike D,Phil and and the Triangles..

Perry is low keyed and doesn't appear to make absurd moves..Takes calculated risks with good upside.

Kanter and the next coach will be interesting
True... I think Dolan's biggest weakness is he listens to much to the media... which is why all the big names have come to the Knicks...

But Perry seems to be Mills decision so maybe we are going in the right direction :hmm:
taowave
Likes given: 817

I think we are.Being successful isnt rocket science..

Perry doesn't seem like the guy who makes horrific blunders..That's a major step in the right direction.

Now we need a little luck
Don Che
Likes given: 9

taowave wrote:I think we are.Being successful isnt rocket science..

Perry doesn't seem like the guy who makes horrific blunders..That's a major step in the right direction.

Now we need a little luck
Precisely.... just land a coach that's in the Snyder realm of skill and trust
gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

Rusty, my feeling is that while Mozgov wasn't exactly a marquee player he could at least be a starting center. Including him in the trade was what led to the decision to amnesty chauncey for Tyson. Seriously, how fucking inept was that to exercise a team option just to amnesty guy? Only at MSG.
Randle in the Rafters
Rusty La Rue

gradyandrew wrote:Rusty, my feeling is that while Mozgov wasn't exactly a marquee player he could at least be a starting center. Including him in the trade was what led to the decision to amnesty chauncey for Tyson. Seriously, how fucking inept was that to exercise a team option just to amnesty guy? Only at MSG.
At that point no one was talking Tyson Chandler... of course you can argue that without Mozgov it made sense to move for TC... but it is still hard to argue that we should keep Mozgov and say no to Melo...
Last edited by Rusty La Rue on April 22nd, 2018, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcapodic

Rusty La Rue wrote:
At that point no one was talking Tyson Chandler... of course you can argue that without Mozgov it made sense to move for TC... but it is still had to argue that we should keep Mozgov and say no to Melo...
Every decision since the Melo trade was made with Melo in mind. The original trade wasnt bad enough, the Knicks then doubled down on stupid by feeling they needed to put a topflight defensive center next to Melo to shore up the defense and rebound, not Melo's strong suit at the 4. The way they handled that, the amnesty of Billups with a time bomb in Amare was about as ridiculous as you can get and just further plunged the knife into the Knicks future.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Rusty La Rue

dcapodic wrote:Every decision since the Melo trade was made with Melo in mind. The original trade wasnt bad enough, the Knicks then doubled down on stupid by feeling they needed to put a topflight defensive center next to Melo to shore up the defense and rebound, not Melo's strong suit at the 4. The way they handled that, the amnesty of Billups with a time bomb in Amare was about as ridiculous as you can get and just further plunged the knife into the Knicks future.
If you trade for Melo then you have to go all in... I am not defending using the amnesty on Billups which I also thought was stupid at the time... But getting a top Defensive C with Melo and Amare at the forwards spots made sense...
dcapodic

Rusty La Rue wrote:
If you trade for Melo then you have to go all in... I am not defending using the amnesty on Billups which I also thought was stupid at the time... But getting a top Defensive C with Melo and Amare at the forwards spots made sense...
Exactly, we totally agree which is why I have said....the trade was bad at the time and every decision made since then was because of the trade and only dug the whole deeper.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

I think in the grand scheme of things you guys picked the wrong thing to be mad at. Everything including Melo was traded for because of our desire to build a team to compete with Miami.

Listen, if at the end of the day it was Chris Bosh who signed with NY and Amare with Miami.... and EVERY SINGLE action went exactly how it went down we would be talking about the Knicks in at least the ECF for the next 5 yrs. On the other hand I still think we face Miami cuz LeBron is just LeBron and would probably overcome the loss of Amare.

But it's still a loss that I don't even feel like Knicks fans allow themselves to acknowledge. It's all about the Melo trade. The entire legacy of that era existed while conveniently ignoring the fact that a player who held a higher cap hit than Melo spent about 70% of his time on the bench.

That's not to say that while here Melo didn't play z flawed game but hey, he got as far as Westbrook did without Durant. Then Phil came and ruined everything.
Rusty La Rue

nazrmohamed wrote:I think in the grand scheme of things you guys picked the wrong thing to be mad at. Everything including Melo was traded for because of our desire to build a team to compete with Miami.

Listen, if at the end of the day it was Chris Bosh who signed with NY and Amare with Miami.... and EVERY SINGLE action went exactly how it went down we would be talking about the Knicks in at least the ECF for the next 5 yrs. On the other hand I still think we face Miami cuz LeBron is just LeBron and would probably overcome the loss of Amare.

But it's still a loss that I don't even feel like Knicks fans allow themselves to acknowledge. It's all about the Melo trade. The entire legacy of that era existed while conveniently ignoring the fact that a player who held a higher cap hit than Melo spent about 70% of his time on the bench.

That's not to say that while here Melo didn't play z flawed game but hey, he got as far as Westbrook did without Durant. Then Phil came and ruined everything.
You are absolutely right... The biggest obstacle was probably that Amare was injured most of the time so our most expensive player was just a major cap hold without performing on court...

And I am not mad at Melo just dissapointed :(
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Rusty La Rue wrote:You are absolutely right... The biggest obstacle was probably that Amare was injured most of the time so our most expensive player was just a major cap hold without performing on court...

And I am not mad at Melo just dissapointed :(
Why does this sound so familiar...
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Rusty La Rue

NewlyKnicked wrote:Why does this sound so familiar...
Yeah it is scary... But I do believe Kanter was our higgest paid player this season ;) But Noah will be our top earner next season even if Kanter opts in... sad :(