At 9th, what would be the absolute worst pick for New York?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

What player would be the absolute worst pick?

Miles Bridges
No votes
Mikal Bridges
6%
Wendell Carter
22%
Colin Sexton
17%
Lonnie Walker
22%
Kevin Knox
11%
Other
22%

Total votes : 18

At 9th, what would be the absolute worst pick for New York?

Postby shakespeare » June 17, 2018, 1:10 pm

With all the players resembling some sort of potential that should be available once New York’s on the clock, I wondered if it’s possible for Perry to make the absolute wrong pick?

Or pick a player that Knick fans believe to be the wrong pick.

To me, it’s Colin Sexton.

I could be wrong but I don’t see anything he offers that none of our other guards don’t already offer. Like Ntili, Burke and Mudiay, Sexton is talented yet has room for improvement on both ends of the court. And if that eventually happens, can I honestly say he’d be better than the others possibly experiencing the same growth?

No.

So, again, to me, picking Sexton would be redundant.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Re: At 9th, what would be the absolute worst pick for New York?

Postby rebound » June 17, 2018, 2:32 pm

mikal. too old frame too narrow.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby taowave » June 17, 2018, 2:43 pm

Good thread Shakes..
Sexton is/was my dark horse,bit after seeing Frank working his ass off,I'm starting to believe Frank can be our point guard,and s good one at that...

I have been saying anyone buy Carter,but I may be too focused on athleticism..

shakespeare wrote:With all the players resembling some sort of potential that should be available once New York’s on the clock, I wondered if it’s possible for Perry to make the absolute wrong pick?

Or pick a player that Knick fans believe to be the wrong pick.

To me, it’s Colin Sexton.

I could be wrong but I don’t see anything he offers that none of our other guards don’t already offer. Like Ntili, Burke and Mudiay, Sexton is talented yet has room for improvement on both ends of the court. And if that eventually happens, can I honestly say he’d be better than the others possibly experiencing the same growth?

No.

So, again, to me, picking Sexton would be redundant.
taowave

Postby cragganmor » June 17, 2018, 3:23 pm

Purely a guess, but I'd say Trae. A lot of success depends on the situation and fit to where you are drafted. He has a longer ladder to climb than the other picks with us, given existing circumstances.
cragganmor

Postby taowave » June 17, 2018, 3:54 pm

What do you think of Carter next to KP??

cragganmor wrote:Purely a guess, but I'd say Trae. A lot of success depends on the situation and fit to where you are drafted. He has a longer ladder to climb than the other picks with us, given existing circumstances.
taowave

Postby thewatcher » June 17, 2018, 5:15 pm

Yeah I don't want Young. He seems like a carbon copy of Burke whom I like, the team can't fade two tiny PGs
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby KRL » June 17, 2018, 5:56 pm

If Perry/Mills have done their research and dug into these players not just
physically but mentally there are no wrong picks. Whoever we select can't
be a finished product, there has to be a drive in the player to be better
and to be more than we expected. And hopefully Perry/Mills don't have an
age hangup where they diminish players because they aren't teenagers. Do
you realize how many great players came into the league over 21?

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Patrick Ewing
David Robinson
John Stockton
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan
Steph Curry
KRL

Postby Mike1989 » June 17, 2018, 6:08 pm

First thing is I don't think there is a "bad" pick among the six players list on this poll. All of them could potentially fit into our starting line up: Sexton and Frank or Frank and Walker in the back court; Mikal and Hardaway can be our SG and SF tandem; Miles and Knox can play either forward spot; and Carter can slot in at PF or C. So as far as I'm concerned there isn't a "bad" fit because any of those six young players can slot into our starting line up and grow with Frank and KP to the cornerstones of our next great team (I'm being optimistic!).

So here my thoughts on the six listed players...

- Collin Sexton: There is no doubt that this kid is a potentially elite athlete with elite quickness. He's got the drive and intensity that could be a real boost for this team. However, he is not a lights out shooter and is not a premier passer with great court vision, and that presents an issue when pairing him with Frank because he has the same two question marks next to his name. With that said, despite his lackluster shooting he can score and get to the basket. My pro comparison for this kid is De'Aaron Fox.
- Lonnie Walker: Here is another athletic and quick guard. Now the issue I have with Walker is that he didn't set college basketball alight on a consistent basis. He blew hot and cold. When he entered the starting line up he had a run of eight games with double digit scores with some of them being more efficient than others. He followed that up with back to back games in which he went cold scoring 6 points and was inefficient shooting the ball, then he got warm for the final five regular season games, and finished his college career going kinda cold in the tournament game against UNC and the NCAA tournament game against Loyola. Sound familiar? We have that in Tim Hardaway.
- Mikal Bridges: Here is the player who most say has the highest floor and I would not disagree with that, but I have a number of concerns with him. First, he arguably has a low ceiling. Second, he has a slight frame. Third, his age and limitations at both ends make it worthwhile to consider the younger wings in the same range because they arguably possess more upside and. We shouldn't be disappointed with him, but my pro comparison is someone like Danny Green, though I have seen him compared to Tony Snell and that actually seems pretty accurate.
- Miles Bridges: Another very athletic player with an excellent motor. He's a decent enough shooter and defender, so there is a good chance he can become a good two way player. However, the knocks on Miles is that he has underwhelming measurements which make him a bit of a tweener and he's streaky. One could also argue that certain parts of his game regressed last season. Again we shouldn't be disappointed with this kid. My pro comparison is Tobias Harris if the offensive side of his game clicks, if it doesn't then you're looking at more Jae Crowder.
- Kevin Knox: This kid has the athleticism, size and length that you look for in a forward prospect. He's young and is not set in his ways so he can be shaped by this coaching staff. However, the negatives on this kid are pretty obvious. He's raw and has a questionable motor and that combination is dangerous. When people start questioning a player's motor I start to look elsewhere because despite that tremendous upside we have seen others fail to reach that in their careers to date like Michael Beasley and Derrick Williams. They would actually be my pro comparisons for Kevin Knox rather than the loftier Paul George comparisons I have seen.
- Wendell Carter: One of the most well rounded players in the draft. I don't see a major weakness in his armory at both ends because he is that jack of all trades type player. The negatives that come with Carter is he does look slow footed at times and that could be an issue on certain assignments, he doesn't have great size or length which could hurt him at both ends, and he isn't a top athlete. His saving grace from being put into the Jahlil Okafor category is Carter can shoot and help with floor spacing.

So who would be the absolute worst pick for this team?

I'm going to say Kevin Knox. Don't get me wrong I love his upside but when someone has a questionable motor at both ends to go along with inconsistencies and a list of things to work on, I get concerned because those types of players don't tend to be successful in this league, or at very least they don't reach those lofty projections. With that said I would not have a major issue with us selecting him if he proved those doubts about his motor incorrect, but if that was still a question mark when the draft process is over and done with then I would prefer to see us pass on him in favor of one of the other prospects. What I want to see added to this roster are players that want it, like Donovan Mitchell showed last season, high motor two way players. Knox doesn't tick that box as far as I'm concerned and that makes him potentially the worst pick for this team.
Mike1989

Postby Mike1989 » June 17, 2018, 6:23 pm

KRL wrote:If Perry/Mills have done their research and dug into these players not just
physically but mentally there are no wrong picks. Whoever we select can't
be a finished product, there has to be a drive in the player to be better
and to be more than we expected. And hopefully Perry/Mills don't have an
age hangup where they diminish players because they aren't teenagers. Do
you realize how many great players came into the league over 21?

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Patrick Ewing
David Robinson
John Stockton
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan
Steph Curry

If you look at some of the greats from the 1980s/1990s: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played three seasons in college, Kevin McHale played four seasons, Larry Bird three seasons, Michael Jordan three seasons, Hakeem Olajuwon played three seasons, Charles Barkley played three seasons, Karl Malone three seasons, Scottie Pippen played four seasons, and John Stockton played four seasons. Two stand outs that played only two seasons of college basketball were Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas.

So if we do look back in draft history we can see that some of the all time greats played more than one season in college basketball and came into the league older than some of the prospects do now. It never hurt their ability to compete but that was the trend in previous eras, so those players and their peers for the most part came into the league at the same ages. In today's game people look at Mikal playing three seasons compared to Kevin Knox's one season as a potential negative, they also question why you want to take a 21 year old over a 18 year old because the 21 year old is nearer the finished product and won't improve as much or as quick because of his age, but take Mikal back into the 1990s or 1980s and coming into the league at 21 with three collegiate seasons under his belt would have been common place. So I have always wondered why people look down on multiple season prospects in today's NBA, when in previous eras most of the all time greats played multiple seasons in college, and if it worked for them it should work for the present day.
Mike1989

Postby Muzhik1 » June 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Lonnie Walker. Nothing about the kid jumps out to justify a 9th pick. I'd rather them draft Collin Sexton.
Muzhik1

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » June 17, 2018, 8:08 pm

I'm thinking MPJ at this point ,which really isnt "bad" considering what he's capable of doing....his injuries can come back to haunt us and he's such a big question mark right now (physical wise)
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby cragganmor » June 18, 2018, 2:12 am

taowave wrote:What do you think of Carter next to KP??

I like him quite a bit; underrated, as he was limited by having to cover bagely's mistakes on d. He fits next to KP well, a very good passer and rebounder, strong and mobile. The Horford comparisons are legit.
cragganmor

Postby shakespeare » June 18, 2018, 5:24 am

Mike1989 wrote:
So here my thoughts on the six listed players...

This was a good post, I enjoyed the read. I don’t necessarily agree that Knox would be the absolute worst pick, but I liked reading how you arrived at that conclusion. And I didn’t know he’d been compared to Paul George? Really? Paul George???

I’d always wondered how George slipped past as many teams in the ‘10 Draft? Is it possible that one day we’ll say the same about Kevin Knox?

BTW, it’d bother me if New York drafted a point guard after drafting a point guard last season and then signing another and then trading for yet another. And isn’t Ron Baker a point guard, too?
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » June 18, 2018, 5:27 am

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:I'm thinking MPJ at this point

Agreed and I listed him initially but figured he’d be gone before 9th.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby NewlyKnicked » June 18, 2018, 6:28 am

Trae Young.
As much as the kid is exciting, I don't see him being anything but a completely open door in D. To me, he'd have to be better than Steph Curry in offense to make up for his defensive limitations at this point, and I would'nt make that bet
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby nazrmohamed » June 18, 2018, 7:04 am

My player would be Wendell Carter. He's lost some weight which is promising but he measured out at 6'8.80 and analysts still call him a C. I'm not looking for combo Cs who are short. Or PFs who move slow. Beyond that he has the lowest ceiling of anyone at pick 9. I feel like Im looking at a starting caliber role player at C.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Mr3037 » June 18, 2018, 7:34 am

I agree with Shakes. The only thing that would really piss me off is another PG. At 9 its a crap shoot regardless so I'd rather take my chances on a position we really need to fill with KP our franchise player, Timmy on a shit load of coin & the jury still out on Frank.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby KRL » June 18, 2018, 8:10 am

Stay away from Porter. An 18 year old with a bad back is not a recipe for long term
success. He may tease you with his talent but if he can't get on the floor what good
is he? Just the fact that he had "hip issues" before his workout should scare teams
away
KRL

Postby cragganmor » June 18, 2018, 11:27 am

In terms of draft strategy, we should solidify our 4 & 5 spots; a rotation of WCJ, an improved Luke, a healthy KP and optionally KOQ staying will make things easier. Fiz can then focus on developing our PGs and swings.

If nobody good is available at #9, then get a swing and use #36 for a 4 or 5.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » June 18, 2018, 12:26 pm

Knox ...but I'd get it.
Don Che

Next

Return to New York Knicks