Welcome to the Knicks Kevin Knox!!!

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Welcome to the Knicks Kevin Knox!!!

Postby spree#8 » June 22, 2018, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the summary BigJ. ATM nothing to add (although I'm in general more in H20s corner when it comes to todays players). More focused on what we can do with Knox right now. Pretty amped about that young man joining our club. :happy:
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » June 22, 2018, 5:55 pm

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Press conference 1:30

Here it is:
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » June 23, 2018, 12:05 pm

TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby dcapodic » June 23, 2018, 6:09 pm

cragganmor wrote:I didn't say better.

For example, Wilt was unique in his day, now there are tons of rim running 7 footers. Some even hit their ft's and can drain 3's.

They aren't better than Wilt; you are measured against the competition of your era.

It's just evolution of the game.

LeBron, Kobe, MJ are the genuine stars. Only a handful in any era.

Again craggs, you speak in a kind of "accepted generalities" that has little basis in facts or reality. People always want to think that newer is somehow better (or however you want to characterize what you are saying).

Wilt was unique in his day, now there are tons of rim running 7 footers

I am not even sure what this means but there were plenty of 7 footers playing in Wilt's day. Remember, Wilt and Jabbar had battles against each other for many years but there were plenty of other big men around.

Some even hit their ft's and can drain 3's.

Again, not sure what this means except to be a crack at Wilt and his foul shooting woes. You probably are aware of his ability to shoot from the outside (or maybe you are not) but it was not something he was asked to do. Do you think that there are better 3 point shooters today than Jerry West, Pete Maravich, Gail Goodrich, Bill Bradley, etc! would have been ?! I say confidently, based on opinion and lots of personal viewership (not anything factual I can base it on) that if the 3 point shot had been instituted in let's say the 50's, there would have been a vast majority of higher percentage shooters than there are today. Why? simply put, guys worked on that part of their game more. It wasn't all about being a highlight reel. I can think of SO MANY great shooters who would have benefited from the 3 point shot and yes, even big men. Jerry Lucas would have had a field day and with the team the Knicks had in the early 70's, Debusscherre, Bradley, Reed, Lucas, etc. it could have been a bombfest.

It is just taking the easy, lazy way out to simply say, players today are better athletes with nothing to base it on other than, well training techniques are better or the like.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby dcapodic » June 23, 2018, 6:18 pm

H20Knick wrote:i really hate to break it to you guys. but I really disagree in that all nba players can do is shoot 3s and dunk. You have the rest of the nba confused with the shitty ass team that we just happen to be fans of. I'd say the average player now is a better ball handler, a better overall shooter, and a better finisher than the average player 20 years ago. Granted, there is no such thing as a low post game anymore, but it's not like the entire league 30 years ago was clyde frazier nor is it like the entire league now is tim hardaway jr. You really think Dennis Smith Jr. as raw and undeveloped as he was, isn't better than Charlie Ward and Chris Childs? Ohhh, because Charlie and Chris played defense? i'm not buying it.

The only thing i'd agree with is that they're worse at playing within a team concept. They CAN pass. They CAN read the floor. They just don't do it the way that teams did in the past, but that's not an individual issue. The good teams show you that it can be done. It requires you keeping a team together for a long time under the same coaching staff. Again, something the knicks don't do. But Golden State and San Antonio show all the time you can do it. But most teams, or teams that don't know how to manage their superstars (cough* lebron's teams) just let them do what they want and hope for the best.

So, basically you are agreeing that they are not better basketball players. Whether they have the talent but don't show it as you suggest or don't have the superior talent that people want to credit the modern player with, as I suggest, really is irrelevant if the end result is that the play simply is not as good now.

You really think Dennis Smith Jr. as raw and undeveloped as he was, isn't better than Charlie Ward and Chris Childs? Ohhh, because Charlie and Chris played defense? i'm not buying it.

Not sure why you chose this comparison, but make no mistake, you are choosing to make it not me. You are comparing a number 9 pick with 1 year in the league to number 26th and undrafted players who went on to have long and fairly successful careers? Not sure where you are going with that one but have at it :) Why don't you make more of an apples to apples comparison and look at Smith Jr. and the 5th pick from the 1967 draft. I'd take that guy :)
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby cragganmor » June 23, 2018, 7:19 pm

Dca, wilt played from 59-73. He only faced jabbar at the end of his career; if anything, Kareem marks the next era of NBA centers.

In his prime, he was the only 7 footer with elite athleticism and skill. His archrival, Bill Russell (you may have heard of him), was 6'10" officially, but that may have been generous. Remember Willis Reed? 6'9". Wes Unseld? 6'7". HOF and 50 greatest, too. Both played mid 60s-70s.

If anything, Wilt was an outlier because of his track and field background, had excellent foot speed and hops. But the rest of the league was composed of smaller, slower guys that didn't jump nearly as high as him.

I just made commentary about overall athleticism of the 5 position; offered no opinion on "better". Dunno why you are bent about it.

Why don't we fork this off to a separate thread? Sorry, Irv, lack of discipline
cragganmor

Postby dcapodic » June 24, 2018, 9:57 am

cragganmor wrote:Dca, wilt played from 59-73. He only faced jabbar at the end of his career; if anything, Kareem marks the next era of NBA centers.

In his prime, he was the only 7 footer with elite athleticism and skill. His archrival, Bill Russell (you may have heard of him), was 6'10" officially, but that may have been generous. Remember Willis Reed? 6'9". Wes Unseld? 6'7". HOF and 50 greatest, too. Both played mid 60s-70s.

If anything, Wilt was an outlier because of his track and field background, had excellent foot speed and hops. But the rest of the league was composed of smaller, slower guys that didn't jump nearly as high as him.

I just made commentary about overall athleticism of the 5 position; offered no opinion on "better". Dunno why you are bent about it.

Why don't we fork this off to a separate thread? Sorry, Irv, lack of discipline

In his prime, he was the only 7 footer with elite athleticism and skill.

You are right, we should not keep this back and forth up here, or really anywhere. It doesn't seem worth it if you are just gonna disregard facts and instead use "accepted generalities". Yea, Wilt just played against a bunch of short white guys, right? Ugh, no. There were plenty of 7 footers he played against, you just have to look. If you want me to list some, just ask and I will. Also, not sure why the assault against Wilt or the love of "rim runner" 7 footers as if that has some kind of impact on today's game?!? I mean, who are you actually talking about....there is Anthony Davis but he is only 6'11". We are not considering Embiid a transcendental player are we? KP?

Oh, you are probably referring to the starting enter for the GSW, the team many on the board consider the best of all time right? That would be Draymond Green who is 6'7" and a similar type of player as the centers you mentioned from Wilt's time....tough nosed, play defense, rebound and do the dirty work. Oh, unless you want to say JaVale McGee is the actual starter, a rim runner of a 7 footer....I don't think you really want to use him as your poster boy for talented 7 footers, do you? A guy with unbelievable athletic ability who would be out of the league if not for GSW and cap issues, so they look for cheap centers off the scrap heap and win championships with them. That is about how important these athletic big men are to the game today.

Yea, let's just scrap this chat until there is time to take a real look at stuff. Using standby, "pat", accepted norms, whatever you would like to call them as your basis for an argument is not very productive.
dcapodic

Postby taowave » June 24, 2018, 1:51 pm

Back to Fort Knox....

Starting to like this guy..He opted to take on all comers,1on1 or 4 on 4..Battled with the most physical guys in the draft,and more than held his own..

Seems like there is some dog in him

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/n ... -nba-draft
taowave

Postby thewatcher » June 24, 2018, 5:15 pm

:relief: We didn't fail!!!! :drunk: Fortknox$$$
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Mr3037 » June 24, 2018, 7:44 pm

A completely random thought but watching the above video, Perry might be the whitest black guy I've ever seen!!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby gradyandrew » June 24, 2018, 8:07 pm

30 years ago there wasn't such a huge discrepancy between the lifetime earnings of a college graduate and an NBA player, but as a college degree went from a prestigious award to the basic requirement of many jobs, the average salary of an NBA player skyrocketed. 30 years ago a second round pick would probably be a 50-50 proposition in terms of playing for the NBA or trying to get a real job, in terms of lifetime earnings. Now it's totally different.

I also have a tough time accepting that high school and college coaches are better at player development than an NBA team. Teams have more money and freedom, why wouldn't they be better? My guess is that the teams are better at weeding out talent in particularly. If a player doesn't put in the effort, the team will stop wasting resources.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
Management didn't get that memo.
gradyandrew

Postby Championship 16/17 » June 24, 2018, 11:12 pm

Mr3037 wrote:A completely random thought but watching the above video, Perry might be the whitest black guy I've ever seen!!

STFU, or ill rip you a new one.
Championship 16/17

Postby Mr3037 » June 24, 2018, 11:22 pm

Championship 16/17 wrote:STFU, or ill rip you a new one.

LOL!!!

WTF is your problem?
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Championship 16/17 » June 24, 2018, 11:50 pm

Mr3037 wrote:
LOL!!!

WTF is your problem?

I don't, I apologize. If you don't know, then you don't know.
Championship 16/17

Postby Mr3037 » June 25, 2018, 12:18 am

Huh? I am way lost now but really curious as to what set you off re that comment?

Like I could understand if I was white and I said something like that but I'm not and if I was I wouldnt make a comment like that.

BUT thinking about it I may have offended some of my light skinned brothers out there & if I did my bad.
I just noticed Perry's hands and thought there are REAL light thats all.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Starbury3 » June 25, 2018, 12:27 am

^ switching gears to more Knox related news

Kevin Knox's trainer (Akii Dean) just posted one of his pre draft workout videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHBqmwLn8M

Shot and handles looking nicee
Starbury3

Postby Starbury3 » June 25, 2018, 12:32 am

Nice video on his passing. Excited to see this element of his game improve during the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7u7ftx1_Y
Starbury3

Postby Mr3037 » June 25, 2018, 12:58 am

Thanks for the links Starbury3 - The more I see of Knox the more I am liking the pick.

And at 18y.o, him and KP could be the faces of our franchise for the next decade!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby NYK rules » June 25, 2018, 3:39 am

Guys who booed Knox wore Porzingis jersey ?

Let Knox show us how he is gifted and maybe, guys will boo our next drafted rookie with Knox jersey next june...
Huck the feat, luck the fakers, eat some nuts !
NYK rules

Postby Mr3037 » June 25, 2018, 6:13 am

NYK rules wrote:Guys who booed Knox wore Porzingis jersey ?

Let Knox show us how he is gifted and maybe, guys will boo our next drafted rookie with Knox jersey next june...

Lol that's what I was thinking too!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks