Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Postby rebound » June 22, 2018, 11:06 am

Facilitators - Mudiay,Frank,Burke
2 guards - Timmy, Lee, Dotson, Baker
Forwards - Knox, Williams, Lance
Bigs - Kanter, Robinson, Noah, KP

Knicks have 13 guaranteed contracts. Kanter still hasn't decided but it's pretty obvious he won't be hitting $18mil/year anywhere else.
Robinson will most likely be 14, so I've included him

Trier has a 2 way contract but there is no room in the guard rotation.
Luke Kornet played well last season and is an UFA. Does Robinson make him repetitive? IMO he is mobile enough to play as a stretch 4.
Hicks seems to be part of the young guys crew, but I don't think he fits with Knox here now.
O'Quinn opting out most likely means he will leave the team. Maybe the Knicks give him the full MLE at 1 year? Surely they wouldn't limit any 2019 options by giving Kyle a multi year deal. Not to make this a cap related thread.
I'd go with Luke. KP is out for most of the season. Robinson is an unknown and Noah is the curse of Phil Jackson. Kornet won't need entitlement minutes that Kyle would.
Possibly an unknown contender for the 15th spot.

Thoughts? I think Fizzdale will do a much better job with player development and Perry will move on from signing guys like Beasley and Jack.
Team Mills
rebound

Re: Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Postby nazrmohamed » June 22, 2018, 11:15 am

WTF is Baker doing in this league man. Jesus Christ. I stopped reading and just got pissed off as soon as I saw his name
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby cragganmor » June 22, 2018, 11:37 am

I think lee, lance will be shopped. We need to unlock all this young talent. Both are useful vets that can help a team. Just don't take back long contracts.

Luke will be re-signed, few b&3's, he can be a good rotation player.
cragganmor

Postby gradyandrew » June 22, 2018, 11:42 am

nazrmohamed wrote:WTF is Baker doing in this league man. Jesus Christ. I stopped reading and just got pissed off as soon as I saw his name

Same thing happened to me!

I just kind of zoned out and said "Aw, Shiiiit"
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » June 22, 2018, 11:48 am

Rebound, why didn't you break it down as guards, wings and bigs?

Guards: Mudiay, Burke, Frank, Baker
Wings: Tim, Lee, Williams, Lance, Knox
Bigs: Kanter, Noah, Robinson, KP

If Kanter opts out, Noah is bought out, and KP not miraculously healed, that big rotation could be weak. Weak enough to sign DH12!!!
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby cragganmor » June 22, 2018, 11:51 am

Ugh, just say no to DH. Teammates hate him. If Kobe can't get you to play, then you are hopeless...

If Enes opts out, then reopen the relationship with Noah, just get him to give 15mpg of quality. Bring back Luke, play MRob.

Willing to see what Fiz can do with Mudiay, but the guard spots will be crowded.
cragganmor

Postby gradyandrew » June 22, 2018, 11:57 am

cragganmor wrote:Ugh, just say no to DH. Teammates hate him. If Kobe can't get you to play, then you are hopeless...

If Enes opts out, then reopen the relationship with Noah, just get him to give 15mpg of quality. Bring back Luke, play MRob.

Yeah I was joking. Shit like this makes me feel for the guy.
Never married, Howard is the father of five children, by five different women, living in three states
gradyandrew

Postby Koopa Troopa » June 22, 2018, 11:57 am

cragganmor wrote:I think lee, lance will be shopped. We need to unlock all this young talent. Both are useful vets that can help a team. Just don't take back long contracts.

Luke will be re-signed, few b&3's, he can be a good rotation player.

I think Lance is here to stay. Unless Fizdale was working some magic by saying "hes gonna be my Draymond!" in order to boost his trade value :LOL:

Lance has grown on me. His communication skills on the court are super valuable to a young team. As far as basketball skills....actually lets just stop here and not talk about his basketball skills :D
Koopa Troopa

Postby cragganmor » June 22, 2018, 12:00 pm

Whew! Supposedly the Nets are negotiating a buyout. Doubt if he's willing to be a reserve. Maybe the only team that could take a chance on him is gsw; if they can salvage javale's career...

Lance is pretty good at corner 3s, we just don't give him many ops. But we may need the mins for the young ones.
cragganmor

Postby gradyandrew » June 22, 2018, 12:27 pm

I'm actually pretty excited about our guard rotation. I really hope one of those 3 can stand out, excluding Baker. I really like Burke's story, how he basically feels like God put him on this team to spread his message. That already seems like a lot of pressure, so hopefully he'll be up to the task.
I don't think Mudiay has any sort of celestial back- up, but maybe he should look into it. There were definitely some times where he looked like he was expecting to fail. TBH, that seemed like all the time. And even when he made shots, he seemed a little surprised. For all that, as shown in that golden quarter vs Golden v State, he has the tools to be a great PG. Hit the 3 off the bounce, work the pick and roll and put pressure on the defense by driving hard to the basket, and a big frame that can switch up. While neither omniscient nor omnipotent, maybe Fizdale can give him the confidence to let the game come to him.
And then the lotto pick. For one thing, second round picks tend to develop later, but lottery picks who don't start and impact freshman year tend to have a low ceiling. Frank seemed to be more comfortable off the ball, cool. He might not ever be an all star but his on the ball defense is ferocious. Quick hands, quick eyes. One thing I noticed was how personally he took when called for a foul. He clearly prides himself on his defense, and it shows. And while the vets have more polished offensive games, Frank is already on a different level defensively. Burkes not going to grow a frame and Emmanuel just isn't as quick, so it's unlikely for that to change next season. Hopefully Fiz can build on whatever progress was made last season.
gradyandrew

Postby taowave » June 22, 2018, 1:07 pm

I think Mudiay's problem is he is a lazy F#&k..
Larry Brown put it politely when he said he needs to get in shape...

Every predraft write up on the guy highlighted his athleticism...The guy was used to getting by on his sheer size, and in the NBA,he's just another 6'5" guy who needs work on his jumper...

I hope he is following in Frank's footsteps and busting his butt this summer...

I'm pretty dam sure Burke is...
taowave

Postby rebound » June 22, 2018, 1:16 pm

Agreed. Pretty much everyone on the team seems to have a great work ethic.
Mudiay reminds me of Hernangomez: content with the status quo. Willy was a bit chubby for a NBA player too.

Hopefully he proves his doubters wrong this season. If not, no worries as I expect Kyrie to replace him in 2019-2020.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby cragganmor » June 22, 2018, 1:17 pm

All of our guards will be very hungry, Mudiay will stick out like a sore thumb if he doesn't bring it every night; somebody else will gladly take his minutes.
cragganmor

Postby taowave » June 22, 2018, 1:22 pm

I NEVER thought I would be saying this,but having Noah mentor Robinson wouldn't be the worst thing in the world
taowave

Postby cragganmor » June 22, 2018, 1:26 pm

I'd like for us to have 1 physical defender, a forward that isn't an offensive liability.

Gary Clark from Cincy is a good player, does a bit of everything at 6'8" 230#, excellent defender and rebounder:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ark-2.html

He'd be a good SL signing.
cragganmor

Postby big_j_NY » June 22, 2018, 2:56 pm

Stefan Bondy
@SBondyNYDN

David Fizdale says he has no problem starting Kevin Knox and he would’ve had no problem starting Frank Ntilikina last year. He asked who else could start at SF for the Knicks and, when Courtney Lee and Hardaway were brought up — the coach indicated they’re too small.

https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/status/1 ... 2780097537

So, Fiz doesn't like Lee nor Hardaway at the 3..................guess we won't see the "small perimeter" line-ups next season
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Nononsense » June 22, 2018, 3:14 pm

I'm glad to hear Fizdale is willing to start Knox, Day 1. On a LOTTERY team that's without its best player, your LOTTERY pick should start, or at the very least the spot should be his to lose.
Nononsense

Postby spree#8 » June 22, 2018, 4:03 pm

Right now, when everyone is healthy, we have:
C (Kanter?) - ? - Robinson - (Noah?)
PF Porzingis - ? - Thomas
SF Knox - Williams - Dotson
SG Hardaway - Lee - Baker
PG Ntilikina/Burke/Mudiay

Burke and Williams are unguaranteed, but pretty much safe I would assume. The big question mark will be whether Noah will be allowed to come back or whether a buyout is still the goal and can be reached. Depending on Kanter's decision we can be a player in free agency or will be limited to the midlevel exception as our biggest free agent piece. No matter what, we will likely look at 1-3 more bigs, one of them might be O'Quinn. A long-term deal for O'Quinn at a reasonable price should mean that we let Kanter expire. Beasley also still in the mix as a guy who can fill in for KP I would guess.

Until KP comes back it is IMO likely that we will play small to take another good look at our point guards playing together. Lee could also be in the mix for a starting job at the start of the season - if he isn't traded (ideally for an expiring). I wouldn't mind either way, because he can be a good mentor for our young players and I value that, because I'm not a fan of simply throwing youth out there without veterans the youth can lean on.

C (Kanter?) - ? - Robinson - (Noah?)
PF Knox - ? - Thomas
SF Hardaway - Williams - Dotson
SG Ntilikina - Lee - Baker
PG Burke - Mudiay

No matter whom we covet, we always have to keep free agency 2019 in the picture (if we aren't a player this summer). Kanter (if he opts in), Thomas (team option for 19-20), Mudiay, Baker, Williams and Burke are all expirings of different sizes.

If everything goes well, as I said in another thread, we could have four starters at the end of the year that were picked by us between 2013 and now. Another lottery pick in 2019 likely coming and because of lower cap holds than expected extensions for KP and Burke will cost us (if we don't sign KP to an extension before next summer and Burke develops well) we could also have a max slot available in 2019 if we play our cards right.

Next goals: developing our guys, finding PFs/Cs that fit and figuring out the point guard position. 18-19 will likely not be a successful season, but a fun one. Can't wait!
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby thewatcher » June 22, 2018, 5:26 pm

^^ Great summary Spree :clap:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby taowave » June 22, 2018, 6:33 pm

I can't imagine Noah staying in limbo for much longer..

Have to imagine this will be settled shortly..
taowave

Next

Return to New York Knicks