Perry Interview

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Perry Interview

Postby KRL » June 22, 2018, 7:35 pm

From WFAN:

https://wfan.radio.com/media/audio-chan ... tt-perry-0

The one free agent I could see us chasing would be Hezonja from ORL. Perry drafted him and
he finally woke up last year, he shouldn't demand too much:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... nma01.html
KRL

Re: Perry Interview

Postby rebound » June 22, 2018, 7:36 pm

I'd like Hezonja but I can't accept risking 2019 cap space unless Lee or Timmy get traded for an expiring.
He would fit in quite nicely as the starting 3 IF the knicks clear the rotation with a lee or timmy trade.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby KRL » June 22, 2018, 11:07 pm

KRL

Postby spree#8 » June 23, 2018, 3:31 am

Knox is our (hopefully better) Hezonja, so after the draft there is no need for Hezonja anymore. The holes right now are at PF/C. THJ is here for the long-term, Lee still a great vet, but a candidate for a trade in case we want/need more 2019 cap room. Too early to tell though with the offseason 2018 not even started. Can't form our exact strategy until Kanter decides to opt-in (as expected) or out. The logjam is at the 1 though, not necessarily at the 2 also, because in todays NBA I definitely see us switching between big/traditional and small line-ups with the 2/3 one of the more natural positions to slide, because for years now we have lots of players who switch between those 2 positions in the NBA naturally (the Sprewells and Finleys and ... were already doing it back in the 90s).
Last edited by spree#8 on June 23, 2018, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby big_j_NY » June 23, 2018, 3:34 am

To co-sign and supplement spree's statement about no longer needing a "hezonja" with Knox being drafted, I also believe that the Knicks no longer need to consider re-signing Beasley to another vet's minimum deal next season since Knox will practically serve the same role as Beasley on the offensive end...........BUT with higher upside to be a better defender and team player.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » June 23, 2018, 7:20 am

big_j_NY wrote:To co-sign and supplement spree's statement about no longer needing a "hezonja" with Knox being drafted, I also believe that the Knicks no longer need to consider re-signing Beasley to another vet's minimum deal next season since Knox will practically serve the same role as Beasley on the offensive end...........BUT with higher upside to be a better defender and team player.

I fully disagree. The kid weighs 215lbs, why did we want him spending time at PF? There's literally zero benefits to him spending time there. Knox makes putting SGs at SF expendable. Not PFs who play a modern style of play. Beasley was a great soldier, great passer, rebounder. If Beasleys willing to take a good one year deal then he can help train Knox for whatever fantasy you're trying to pull right there. Knox is a tall SF, maybe down the line can play a few minutes a game at PF in a small lineup. I don't want him being a 50/50 player. I cringed at the Tobias Harris comps.

The Knicks still need to be actively looking for thier stretch 4. And given that KP is a 6-7 rebound C, that player should resemble more of the Josh Smith mold of stretch 4s than the finesse type. (I wound say Draymond but it's even more rare)
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » June 23, 2018, 9:33 am

I have no idea how things can go before knowing what Kanter does.

Beasley can stay or go but thinking that we have to go with either him OR knox isnt true...we could techinically play them both: Noah/Beasley/Knox/Tim/Frank- it sucks but it works.

I'm ok with getting Mario but Tim/Lee would have to be traded first just to clear out the logjam a bit.

I still think Kevon Looney would be a cheap low risk/solid reward option as a FA since he can play 4/5 and guard 2-5. Long/high motor player...just not a great athlete but good enough if he gets stronger. At the same time, could see Mitchell come into play also next year(id g league him his rookie year, spend time with Michael Miller and that well run staff to get used to organized ball again)

but I'm also inclined that best move is to make 1 trade...clear the Tim/Lee/Mudiay/Dotson glut somehow since I think they all serve a purpose....Baker is a perfect 3rd stringer that only plays when 2-3 of the guards in your rotation are hurt. I would off Mudiay for Vanderbilt...i mean its Mudiay for a second rounder...that shouldnt be so far fetched should it?!?!
Don Che

Postby rebound » June 23, 2018, 12:49 pm

I don't want Beasley around Knox.
The ideal trade is Lee for an expiring and signing Hezonja with the MLE.
this balances the 2019 cap preservation and clears the backcourt logjam.

I def think Knox can hold his own against most power forwards in the league.
Hezonja is 6'8. Fizdale has talked about versatile forwards that have the mobility to switch on the perimeter.
a Hezonja and Knox front court fits that description IMO.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby rebound » June 23, 2018, 12:55 pm

Thoughts on Noah Vonleh? He's only 23 and I'm not sure the Bulls will pay up for him.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby taowave » June 23, 2018, 2:53 pm

Naz,Draymond Green weighs 230..Knox can easily get up to 230..

Draymond came into the league at 248,and dropped down to 230..

Knox can certainly be a stretch 4,assuming he has the motor..

However,I also cringed at the Harris comparisons :happy:

Three years ago, the Warriors noticed that the team's stationary bikes were disappearing from their usual spot in the practice facility. Eventually, they found out why. Green was dragging them into the sauna, riding them, then leaving them there. Strauss's writes:

It turned out that Green, who's struggled with his weight since his days at Michigan State, had developed a theory: By riding the bikes in the sauna, he could more efficiently shed pounds. In the short term, biking in a sauna will do that, but much of what is lost is water weight and is soon gained back. Golden State trainers were aware that Green's regimen was, at best, scientifically dubious. Also, the bikes were getting ruined. Says a former Golden State trainer: "He would come in and say, 'The screen's not working on the bike.' And I'd be like, 'Yeah, I wonder why.'" Still, the team chose to ultimately allow it. It did involve cardio. And Green was loath to give it up.

It's a pretty ridiculous anecdote, but Green has lost a significant amount of weight during his time in Golden State. According to MLive.com, the power forward played at around 248 pounds during his rookie season in the NBA. He reportedly played his second season about 20 pounds lighter, a weight he's been able to maintain ever since. He is currently listed at 230 pounds.

nazrmohamed wrote:
I fully disagree. The kid weighs 215lbs, why did we want him spending time at PF? There's literally zero benefits to him spending time there. Knox makes putting SGs at SF expendable. Not PFs who play a modern style of play. Beasley was a great soldier, great passer, rebounder. If Beasleys willing to take a good one year deal then he can help train Knox for whatever fantasy you're trying to pull right there. Knox is a tall SF, maybe down the line can play a few minutes a game at PF in a small lineup. I don't want him being a 50/50 player. I cringed at the Tobias Harris comps.

The Knicks still need to be actively looking for thier stretch 4. And given that KP is a 6-7 rebound C, that player should resemble more of the Josh Smith mold of stretch 4s than the finesse type. (I wound say Draymond but it's even more rare)
Last edited by taowave on June 23, 2018, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taowave

Postby big_j_NY » June 23, 2018, 2:56 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:I fully disagree. The kid weighs 215lbs, why did we want him spending time at PF? There's literally zero benefits to him spending time there. Knox makes putting SGs at SF expendable. Not PFs who play a modern style of play. Beasley was a great soldier, great passer, rebounder. If Beasleys willing to take a good one year deal then he can help train Knox for whatever fantasy you're trying to pull right there. Knox is a tall SF, maybe down the line can play a few minutes a game at PF in a small lineup. I don't want him being a 50/50 player. I cringed at the Tobias Harris comps.

And this is exactly why I DON'T WANT BEASLEY BACK............Beas is not the "better passer" you think he is, and I would much rather spend Beasley's roster spot on a more defensive-minded, team-oreinted stretch 4 that can mentor Knox into better habits defensively INSTEAD of Knox being tutored to become exactly like Beasley ended up to becoming.

And if we can't get a stretch 4 to replace Beas's roster spot, then maybe a rugged PF like Kevin Looney like Don suggested would fit better.......since Looney also has the foot speed to switch on perimeter forwards both at the 3 and the stretch 4.

We keep Beasley mentoring Knox, Knox will most certainly develop those Tobias Harris comparison considering Beasley is basically the bottom-of-the-barrel of the "Tobias Harris-style fowards"
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Championship 16/17 » June 24, 2018, 12:01 am

spree#8 wrote:Knox is our (hopefully better) Hezonja, so after the draft there is no need for Hezonja anymore. The holes right now are at PF/C. THJ is here for the long-term, Lee still a great vet, but a candidate for a trade in case we want/need more 2019 cap room. Too early to tell though with the offseason 2018 not even started. Can't form our exact strategy until Kanter decides to opt-in (as expected) or out. The logjam is at the 1 though, not necessarily at the 2 also, because in todays NBA I definitely see us switching between big/traditional and small line-ups with the 2/3 one of the more natural positions to slide, because for years now we have lots of players who switch between those 2 positions in the NBA naturally (the Sprewells and Finleys and ... were already doing it back in the 90s).

There is no need for Hezonja, but there is a need for a better small forward, someone better than Kevin Knox. Forget the holes of PF/C, the only position that is solidified to me is the PG, with Frank starting and Mudiay off the bench, so we need to still focus on all positions, and with no FA signing anytime soon, it will be a slow process through the draft to acquire these hole fillers.

Thj is here for the long-term, you can't trade his contract and he doesn't have much value. His best value is 2nd string shooting guard, possible 6th man. That's where he should be and stay long term for the knicks.

This is how the Knicks look to me:

Starters:
1. Frank
2.?
3.?
4.KP
5. ?

Bench:
1. Mudiay
2. Thj
3. Kevin Kox
4. ?
5. ?

OBVIOUSLY, we will have a different roster, but this should be the roster is your trying to win a Championship. The holes need to be filled by better players. We have a long way to go.
Championship 16/17

Postby Koopa Troopa » June 24, 2018, 2:40 am

rebound wrote:I don't want Beasley around Knox.

I dont want Beasley around anyyyone. Give Lance Thomas all the minutes
Koopa Troopa

Postby nazrmohamed » June 24, 2018, 7:03 am

Champ- so you think the Knicks just drafted thier future backup at SF? I don't have a crystal ball but if that's how you feel we epically failed. He's our starting SF of the future.

And for the rest of you. With that said, what I do feel in my Crystal ball is that if we were to have 2 forwards play I would think that he'd be more of the finesse forward of the 2. So no, I don't see PF in his future, especially considering who we want at C if KP is that answer. I mean between then they might average 12 rebounds.

But I thought everyone wanted KP at C? If that's the case we need a grinder. Not necessarily a slow laboring grinder like the 6'10 PF/C we typically put a C, in fact I'm bored entirely with that skillset. But I'm looking for your Josh Smith/Draymond Green/Dennis Rodman.....and they don't grow on trees.

If KP will be a C like y'all don't shut up about then is it safe for me to say he's probably gonna be about as tough as......Rik Smits? Longer range, more fit for the modern nba but at the end of the day, same feel. Long body, sweet jumper, blocks shots. I do believe he has more go to player ability but if he's gonna be what you're asking then remember
- he must STOP hanging out as much on the perimeter
- he must STOP chasing guards from the 3pt line all the way to the rim for blocks
- he must STOP jumping all over the place for hillside blocks
- he must START reminding himself to stay in the post
- he must START find the closest guard to set a pick for
- he must START looking for bodies to box out rather than an opening to crash the glass in.

You asked for it. Shoot I'm digressing hard but point is, if you think Knox is a PF then KP can't be his C and if you think KP is a C then Knox cannot be his PF. That's the softest front court in the nba right there. Sandwiched in between them or behind them needs to be an intimidator
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Championship 16/17 » June 24, 2018, 9:35 am

I think the Knicks need to keep building and acquiring talent. Build this thing the slow right way, provide waves of quality player's at every position against your opposition. I stated Jayson Tatum will be one of the best player in the NBA in 3 years, people laughed, but look what this rookie did in the playoffs. The coach stated he will have to guard Lebron James and Kevin Durant, and all these great players, etc, etc. Yeah for now, b/c we don't have any other options at small Forward. But he isn't the solution, just a good piece you develop now that we can use as a 2nd option at small forward, bc the Jayson Tatums, the Greek Freak, and the Ben Simmons are coming.
Championship 16/17

Postby cragganmor » June 25, 2018, 10:42 am

Not keen on Beez returning. Keep adding players with team skills. We need to improve our fundamentals.
cragganmor

Postby cragganmor » June 25, 2018, 10:55 am

nazrmohamed wrote:...
That's the softest front court in the nba right there. Sandwiched in between them or behind them needs to be an intimidator

Yep. Don't need full on Oakley, but someone that will bump and grind in the paint, set hard picks for KP, Knox, Frank.
cragganmor

Postby spree#8 » June 25, 2018, 3:01 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:...

I fully disagree. The kid weighs 215lbs, why did we want him spending time at PF? ...

Because that is how the NBA goes. When we wanna go small, like the Warriors do with Durant at the 4 or the Cavs with LeBron at the 4, that's when a Knox will be ideal for us at the 4. Doesn't mean that he plays the most minutes there. Primarily a 3 in traditional line-ups, occasionally the 4 in more modern line-ups.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » June 25, 2018, 3:19 pm

I and well tbh none of us can't assume where he will play because we dont know where he will defend.

whoever he defends best..will be the position he plays down the line. Hes also 18..who he defends better now may change by the time he's 25.

either way...regardless who he defends well...looking at him 3/4 and KP being more of a 5(as production defensively) we need another guy thats a hybrid 3/4. We need 5 guys in our rotation that defend 2 positions or more at a average to above average level.

so however you slice it...who you get next to knox is gonna need to be a plus rebounder/defender that can cover 3-5. Offensively...it can vary...Knox and KP are rather unique anyway...along with Frank who can cover 1-4 depending on the match up...and even Tim guarded 3's better than expected last year.
Don Che

Postby taowave » June 25, 2018, 3:28 pm

Dude is 18 y.o and we are concerned with his weight??

If his body fills out and he adds 10%,hes over 235..thats more than Draymond...

He put up 185 10x on the bench which isnt half bad..
taowave

Next

Return to New York Knicks