The East is wide open. Tuck the Fank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: The East is wide open. Tuck the Fank

Postby Mr3037 » July 2, 2018, 8:08 pm

Minkaveli wrote:This Knicks team on paper is a 25 win team tops with reality being 22 or so. It's bad until KP gets back. But this is the second step of a 12 step staircase long rebuild.

That's exactly right and why I want us to stay the course.

We have 1 young star, 4 young top 10 draft picks with rookie/short deals all of which have potential and we have young peripheral players like Dotson, Burke, Williams & Kornet who could prove to be good squad players.

Once we get rid of the deals of guys like Lee, Thomas & Noah then we will be in a position to make some huge strides by signing a couple of stars to add to our young group who've had a couple years of developing under their belts.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby thewatcher » July 9, 2018, 3:48 pm

C Kanter/Noah
PF Robinson/Lance
SF Knox/Mario
SG Tim/Frank
PG Burks/Mudiay
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby taowave » July 9, 2018, 8:00 pm

Kanter
Knox
Mario
Tim
Frank??

I think everyone but Frank is written in stone
taowave

Postby StevoStarks » July 9, 2018, 11:34 pm

taowave wrote:Kanter
Knox
Mario
Tim
Frank??

If you replace KP with Kanter, and that entire starting lineup played to its draft # potential, we’d be slaying the eastern conference.

4 of those 5 guys are top 9 draft picks
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby gradyandrew » July 9, 2018, 11:58 pm

Mr. 3037, I worry that staying that course gets us no where.

Even though the Knicks will have expiring contracts, they'll eventually have to start paying guys as they come off their rookie deals, starting with KP. While we love the team, realistically it's unlikely that anyone else becomes an all star. So the future to me looks like we'll be overpaying marginal guys who don't move the needle.

And why not? The Knicks are playing the same game as Chicago, Sacramento, and Atlanta but worse because the Knicks are capped out with out any easy road to a clean sheet. And there in lies the rub, because without a clear sheet teams can't do the single best tanking strategy, trading cap space for picks. Without that road available, I think it will just be more long term mediocrity.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby Mr3037 » July 10, 2018, 12:53 am

I get what you're saying Grady but I'd much rather pay guys like KP & Knox than give out another Noah deal!

All I want is for us to plan for sustained success, not make some crazy trades to try and win a chip in the next season or 2.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby Mike1989 » July 10, 2018, 2:37 am

Mr3037 wrote:I get what you're saying Grady but I'd much rather pay guys like KP & Knox than give out another Noah deal!

All I want is for us to plan for sustained success, not make some crazy trades to try and win a chip in the next season or 2.

KP and Knox could be an all star duo for us, but would that be enough to win a title in this league if they are paired with good not great players?

Probably not. Utah should be a good team for years to come with Mitchell and Gobert, but with the way the Warriors are it will be very difficult for them to get past them any time soon. They might have one good year and get past them, but realistically that Warriors team is going to dominate for years to come as long as they stay together, healthy and productive.

So if we want to compete for a title we'll need to add a third and possibly a fourth option to support them. If we could structure a deal to get an all star and their bird rights, that could be sufficient to attract another in free agency. Now we could wait a year to do that and tank this year for a top pick, but as I've said before if we could cut out free agency for Butler and not give up a lot to get him that could be an appealing option for us because it makes selling New York easier to Kyrie or maybe even Kemba. Now whether that's enough to beat the Warriors is another matter.
Mike1989

Postby thewatcher » July 10, 2018, 6:53 am

taowave wrote:Kanter
Knox
Mario
Tim
Frank??

Kanter, Mario, and Knox will get and give buckets. I agree, it may start this way, but I think the results with Robinson in there will be much more balanced and better. mark my words, Robinson's going to snatch that PF position by the new year.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby shakespeare » July 10, 2018, 7:57 am

The East is not wide open.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby taowave » July 10, 2018, 8:00 am

I'm all for your lineup.Love Robinson,but I can't imagine Mario not starting. Don't think he would come here to come off the bench.

And Robinson,as athletically as he is will get physically abused this year...Which is OK..
Last edited by taowave on July 10, 2018, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
taowave

Postby shakespeare » July 10, 2018, 8:28 am

Assessing an East Conference no longer under King James' rule

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2400 ... -world-nba

1. Who are the top three teams in the Eastern Conference now?
Celtics, Bucks, 6ers
2. What is your bold prediction for the East next season?
Giannis wins MVP.
3. Which player is the new King of the East?
Giannis.
4. Which Eastern Conference rookie will have the best season?
Trae Young, by far.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 10, 2018, 8:28 am

shakespeare wrote:The East is not wide open.

:thumbsup:
The East is weak as hell compared to the Westbut there's still a hierarchy and without KP we're expected to be closer to the bottom
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 10, 2018, 8:29 am

couldn't disagree more with the ROY prediction tho :hmm:
NewlyKnicked

Postby shakespeare » July 10, 2018, 8:36 am

Agreed — top to bottom, the Eastern Conference is no match for the Western Conference. But, at the end of the day, only 1 team from each conference will advance to the Finals.

And, as much as I hate the Celtics, I’ll be the first to admit they have the coach and athletes and scorers and shooters and playmakers and defense to put fear in the heart of Golden State, especially if Boston wins more games than Golden State and secure the refs err, home court advantage.

Celtics showed us all this past postseason that they are a dangerous team.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » July 10, 2018, 8:42 am

NewlyKnicked wrote:couldn't disagree more with the ROY prediction

I wanted to say Sexton, but Cavs still have George Hill and shooters who will pretty much take the ball out of his hands. Hawks don’t really have anything to get in the way of Trae Young. He’ll struggle early and often but toward mid season, barring injury, he’ll get his points and assists.

I wanted to say Kevin Knox, but I don’t see him averaging double digits. He can definitely score in the double digits if give the chance but between THJ and Burke—he won’t receive the necessary scoring opportunities. At this point in his NBA career, he’s not gonna be a strong rebounder, either.

But he’ll be exciting.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 10, 2018, 9:32 am

I actually may have to review my judgement...

Damn all the most NBA ready draftees headed west for some reason (Ayton, Doncic, JJJ, Mikal...) making it tough to find the best rookie in the east. We can't even bet on a turnaround year from Fultz as he played a couple of games last year (btw Giles may very well be 2019 ROY imo).

So based on opportunity, I'd go with Sexton as the Cavs should be heading for a full rebuild and get the ball into his hands as much as possible. Even if Love stays, Sexton should be 2nd option in front of Hill and Hood. Plus, Sexton shines when playing 3 vs 5 so the Cavs are tailor made.

Knox comes right after for me. Without KP, he has a very decent chance at being one of the top options. If he shows up in defense as well, he'll get more pt than THJ and Burke based on Fiz mentality

Young is going to take more time to adapt to the NBA. He really needs work and Schroder is still around
NewlyKnicked

Postby shakespeare » July 10, 2018, 10:26 am

I would love to see Knox win ROY. That would be monumental for New York and his early NBA career. With LeBron gone, I look for Rodney Hood and Kevin Love to shine in Cleveland.

Hawks are gonna have enough to go around for both Dennis and Trae, in my humble opinion. Young might be the only long ball shooter on Atlanta’s roster. At his clip, he’s gonna put up solid rookie numbers.

Agreed - Western Conference snatched all the other promising rookies. I’m looking forward to seeing what Bagley will do. I think he was the best player in the draft. I think Fultz was the best player in last year’s draft. Looking forward to this NBA season for many reasons.

Who do you think is the new King of the Eastern Conference?
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby H20Knick » July 10, 2018, 10:41 am

Giannis or Embiid are probably the "best" players but it's Kyrie's conference and we're all just living in it.

Knox will join this elite club by 2021 though. He'll win ROY. Then he'll start doing 25/7. Then he'll supplant KP as the team's franchise player, doing 30/8. Then we'll upset the 76ers or the Celtics in the playoffs. Then, when we're all old, we'll all tell stories about the 2020s Knox Dynasty.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby cragganmor » July 10, 2018, 11:51 am

We should develop talent. That's why Fiz was hired, let him do his job.

Contending is just not realistic. We are starting from scratch; a different conversation if KP were healthy.
cragganmor

Postby big_j_NY » July 10, 2018, 1:12 pm

shakespeare wrote:The East is not wide open.
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks