Source: Knicks 'out' on Ntilikina

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NYGM
Likes given: 473

Yes H20 has made his mind about Frank already.. I respect his take on this but it's way to early..

You can't resist the temptation and actually making this stuff before the end of this season?

Every player is different, you are giving us just numbers but no context.. He's inconsistent and we can all agree has looked better as a PG or guard than a SF like he started the season..

Let's see what role he will have after the deadline and if he can put his game together..

Some people are even suggesting he's not good at defense or worst defender this season based on different situations and schemes (or lack of them)..

You can see Frank playing against his peers and he looks good going head to head.. Not seeing much of that because Monk, DSJ and Mitchell for example are playing off the ball this season..

But let's see what happens, his curve may be different but there is potential for sure.. And I mean potential for a winning player, not some fancy high stat payer whose not helping your team win..
taowave
Likes given: 817

Nyk,it seems you may not be providing the proper "context" in your defense of Frank...

The guy has talent,you catch glimpses of it every now and then.The problem with Frank is he doesn't bring "it" every night. Call it scared,call it soft,call it mentally weak. There's no shame in failing,there is shame in not showing up.

Frank needs to get over this emotional hump ...Trier has it,Knox has it...In fact,they have too much of "it"..

Frank needs to understand this is his shot..
Don Che
Likes given: 9

my biggest issues with Frank has been his lack of playmaking...last year we would get random nights of 8 assists or 6 rebounds and 10 assists nights.

im totally fine with Frank never being a 20ppg....but i was VERY excited to see a PG that can get you 7 assists and over 5 rebounds a game that can defend 3 positions......I just projected Frank being what he was last year just further along and consistent.

This year he hasnt really shown that...and I actually think he was given a fair chance...but i think itll work out if we stay with it.
NYGM

taowave wrote:Nyk,it seems you may not be providing the proper "context" in your defense of Frank...

The guy has talent,you catch glimpses of it every now and then.The problem with Frank is he doesn't bring "it" every night. Call it scared,call it soft,call it mentally weak. There's no shame in failing,there is shame in not showing up.

Frank needs to get over this emotional hump ...Trier has it,Knox has it...In fact,they have too much of "it"..

Frank needs to understand this is his shot..
It's called inconsistency..

Trier and Knox are different players, I don't know why do you want everyone to me the same.. We don't need 12 players with gunners mentality and little else to offer..

Some people just too impatient, too many players start with a bang and stop developing, staying pretty much the same..
NYGM

Don Che wrote:my biggest issues with Frank has been his lack of playmaking...last year we would get random nights of 8 assists or 6 rebounds and 10 assists nights.

im totally fine with Frank never being a 20ppg....but i was VERY excited to see a PG that can get you 7 assists and over 5 rebounds a game that can defend 3 positions......I just projected Frank being what he was last year just further along and consistent.

This year he hasnt really shown that...and I actually think he was given a fair chance...but i think itll work out if we stay with it.
That comes with a defined role.. Some context of what's happening this year would be great..

This year we have a "this is my time" team, full of players looking for their next contract and not necessary team chemistry..

Lack of system and improvisation is the norm..

Frank started as a SF, some run as a starting PG (with a couple of good games) then some DNP's and right now a backup role..

You got Fiz with a "system" who feature players who can "get their own" like THJ, Trier, Mudiay and Knox for example.. There is no emphasis on ball movement and system play whatsoever..

Look at our lastgame for example, steady diet of Frank as our backup PG, the kid looked sharp and in control 10pts, 5ast and some good defense in just 18min..

With players like Frank who is all about ball movement and unselfishness (he fells the game that way) you need to provide a little bit more than one pass one shot offense.. He's more than inclined to take the BIG shot or take his shots without hesitation this year and when we drop some of those contract year payers and start running some serious ball system he would have his time to shine..

Look how well Frank looks besides Dotson who is inclined to give the ball back and keep the movement, they are trying to run something and not just get "theirs".. Bit you have a team full of players with a different agendas..

Lastgame 60% of out buckets were assisted, that why we looked better and the game was more enjoyable..

Trier, Mudiay, Knox and THJ in some sense provide the glam of the 90's isolation offensive play here and there, but that's it.. In reality we have no system, no fluidity and no cohesion..

Right now the inmates are running the asylum!
taowave

Frank is pretty dam consistent.He shows flashes,but thats about it.

Trier and Knox have a much different mindset from Frank. For better or worse,they are fearless. Frank is "cautious"...

NYGM wrote:
It's called inconsistency..

Trier and Knox are different players, I don't know why do you want everyone to me the same.. We don't need 12 players with gunners mentality and little else to offer..

Some people just too impatient, too many players start with a bang and stop developing, staying pretty much the same..
NYGM

taowave wrote:Frank is pretty dam consistent.He shows flashes,but thats about it.

Trier and Knox have a much different mindset from Frank. For better or worse,they are fearless. Frank is "cautious"...
Showing flashes is the definition of inconsistent play..

I agree that Trier and Knox have a different mindset and skillset that Frank no boubt, would that means they would develope into a better player down the road? Who knows?

I don't want 12 "agressive", "scoring minded" players in our team with no one interested in playmaking and defense.. That's why we got these ugly 15pts in 20 shots games and no cohesion, people just wanting to show they can score and not the can help a team win necessaryl..

My point is every player has issues, every young player need development and not only player more ready offensively have value.. That why we end complaining at empty stay players and teams that can't win at high level..
taowave

Notice I dont bring up skill set
I think Frank's issues are above the neck.

You know I am not alone in this assessment.
NYGM

taowave wrote:Notice I dont bring up skill set
I think Frank's issues are above the neck.

You know I am not alone in this assessment.
Question is: can he still develope into a great player for us?
taowave

:blink: Weak answer,but if Frank can get his head right,I think he can be really solid.I like him better than Mudiay,but don't see greatness..

Frank's problem is he has Dangelo Russel athleticism without his bag of tricks/craftiness..

Here's an evaluation on him from Bleached Report..Franks draft class isnt looking so hot....
Long-term potential earned Frank Ntilikina a pass last year after he averaged just 5.9 points and 3.2 assists per game on 36.4 percent shooting.

Based on the first 34 games of his sophomore season, the expiration date on that pass has been moved up. He's shooting worse this year from the field (34.9 percent) and the three-point arc (30.0 percent) while averaging 6.2 points and 2.6 assists in roughly the same amount of minutes per game (21.7).

He's the only NBA player with at least 20 minutes per game and a true shooting percentage of under 45 in back-to-back seasons.

Converting 50.0 percent of his shots at the rim and 42.9 percent inside 10 feet, Ntilikina has limited explosiveness that continues to hold him back. He's also shown no improvement as a shot-creator, and if he's not making his catch-and-shoot opportunities, he's of little use offensively.

He loses confidence too easily, which becomes obvious when he's passing up open shots. He'll go stretches without looking at the rim or trying to make a play off the dribble.

Even Ntilikina's defense, which is still considered to be his NBA moneymaker, has looked suspect at times in terms of containing dribble penetration.

The New York Knicks will have a tough call at the Feb. 7 trade deadline. On one hand, his value is low, given the recent DNPs (did not play) and no improvement. He's also just 20 years old with a potentially valuable skill set as a combo who can guard multiple positions.

Either way, New York's front office can't be thrilled with Ntilikina's lack of development and aggressiveness 112 games into his career.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Frank is a patience test for our proclaimed new rebuilding mindset. I hope we pass, he will be valuable
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion