Mehmet Okur

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

I know the lockout has dominated most conversations or lack thereof but we can still think about future players can't we? One I'm very intrigued by is Mehmet Okur for our C position. Naturally with our lack of defense we talk about defensive C's only but here's my argument for Okur.

I think he's an all around C. If you put him on a defensive team, while he's not necessarily a defensive stallworth, he can at least play within a defensive concept. Both Detroit and Utah were both defensive teams at some point while he was there and eanked high. So again, even though his name wouldn't roll off your toungue defensively, he can play it. What I like though is he's not the type you'd be worried about getting the ball on offense or helping initiate an offense. He's a decent inside scorer but can hurt defenses with shot range out to the three point line, freeing up space for Amare. He's also a good passer as well. Last season he spent some time injured and had the worst year he's had in a while. Perhaps we can leverage that into an affordable contract in 2012

Thoughts
bobhait
Likes given: 62

I think Mehmo will get one more average-sized contract in the NBA (something like 3 years/12 mil), provided the lockout doesn't last long enough to send him back to Turkey (or another international basketball destination), in which case he's probably not coming back. after that he's probably a candidate for buyout and a vet's minimum with a contender, and that's about where we can come in. the Knicks can't make any moves until we know where we stand with Chris Paul, basically.
sky’s the limit