2019 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion

Postby NewlyKnicked » April 26, 2019, 3:28 am

StevoStarks wrote:I agree. Let's draft Jordan Hill with the first pick.

:LOL:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » April 26, 2019, 12:02 pm

hahahaha sure why not
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » April 29, 2019, 3:31 am

No question Zion is #1, but here is someone who considers RJ as the 2nd pick without hesitation, miles above Ja

https://nypost.com/2019/04/28/one-coach ... ck-debate/

I agree that RJ can be great. He's shown killer instincts, and the skills he owns are very sharp. However his game needs to expand. Maybe it's been a bit too easy for him thus far and he'll pass another gear against the best competition. His alpha mentality can be a double edge sword if he stays stubborn in his ways. Hope he puts in work. He can be really something.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby nazrmohamed » April 29, 2019, 8:20 am

For about half the season I had RJ at number 1 until I saw Zions passing skills and saw him attempt some 3s. Theres no doubt in my mind that hes at least a top 3. Morant can be argued at 2 but not on a team with 3 PGs who intend to sign Kyrie at seasons end. You dont draft for need but at some point cmon. I'm not drafting the best backup in history, it just makes no sense. Nobody else is even close IMO
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » April 29, 2019, 10:28 am

RJ has been very productive...but how he produces...doesnt translate to the NBA.

he depends on getting to the rim...whole game is derived off that...in a league where his first step and vertical ability is average in the NBA.

3 things that will translate is his rebounding mentality and transition game. Not much else unless he's given the keys.
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » April 29, 2019, 11:14 am

Hes gotta develop like everyone else but I think his starting point is already so high at such a young age that I'm confident he'll reach it.

Ok, a 19 yr old who already averaged 22pts needs to become a better 3 point shooter. That's not a damning flaw to me. You said it yourself Don, Hunter will be drafted at 22 yrs of age. What's he been doing for the last 3 yrs cuz he sure as hell dont average 22 and 7 as we nitpick 3pt% now. What was Culver doing 2 yrs ago. Cuz he wasnt averaging 22 and 7 while we nitpick 3s a year ago. He dont even average 22 NOW. So yes, RJ has stuff to work on but I'm not gonna over critique a 19yr old while promoting 21&22 yr olds who have had 3 yrs to show me all this.

Notice the guys I'm willing to argue about 19&20 yr olds. Rookies and Sophomores. Then you gotta assume, hes gonna probably work out with Steve Nash every offseason, who is his godfather and the kid has that belief. I got no chrystal ball but I just believe he wants to be great so he'll put in the work. It's not like we're talking about some 13 point scorer like I do with Porter Jr and it's all potential. Hes produced.......and then theres potential. Big difference.

Lastly there are things about his game (the things that you say dont translate) that to me will be a benefit. More shooters around him, more spacing to operate. You can argue that this draft just isnt that good as evidenced by this argument but I just dont see many reasonable alternatives. I dont. From the combination of production and production at that age and potential? Hes the 2nd best player in THIS draft. If that ain't good enough then it's just not a good draft.
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » April 29, 2019, 5:15 pm

Atleast with Hunter...i know he has a NBA ready body and skillset for today's NBA. Out the gate hes a 3/D player with physical tools that are just like Kawhi Leonards during his draft...also add the fact that I'd guess Hunter has a higher vertical than Kawhi did out of college...so I do agree that HUnter is a reach at 2 but from what i see in regards to whats missing for both players.

RJ is missing:
3 point shooting
decision making
defense
Handle(barely missing it but its very slight)

Hunter:
Handle(ability to run a pick and roll and create space)
Passing (has some instincts but from a basic level)

but usually if you can't defend in college you dont end up being a lock down player in the NBA....and RJ's inability is my main concern. I can handle the tunnel vision and non 3 point shooting right now...but struggling to guard players in college when his tools are more advanced than most back court players in the nation is a concern because his physical tools in the NBA are average maybe slightly above average...even good defenders get lit up in the NBA...and we already have Knox who cant defend his shadow...RJ would have to be a 30 ppg type guy or a walking triple double guy once his prime hits to warrant his lack of defense.

with all this said.....if he goes into summer league and shows passion on that end i'll change my tune. Nothing is concrete with him..its def fluid but its also def concerning
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 30, 2019, 1:13 pm

Another sleeper to ponder in the 2nd round; Mississippi State's Quinndary Weatherspoon, a 6'4" sg that projects as a high floor player. Did a full 4 yrs, polished on both sides, a complete player with an adult physique at 210# and 6'9" wingspan, had a good showing at Portsmouth.
cragganmor

Postby cragganmor » April 30, 2019, 1:32 pm

Here's a 4 yr player that looks like he's beginning to put it together, Ebuka Izundu, a 6'10" senior from Florida, had good performances vs quality ACC squads.

https://youtu.be/SwUxQLu2ZJA

Shows some low post skills, good hands and hops. Could be a nice pickup as a UDFA 2-way contract, let him continue honing his skills in Westchester.
cragganmor

Postby gradyandrew » May 3, 2019, 10:16 am

It's so disappointing to read we don't get the 31st pick because of trying to save luxury tax on Travis Outlaw in 2014. Thats the same spot we got mitch and is great because 2nd rounders arent guaranteed a spot, so theres more freedom with the contract type.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby StevoStarks » May 3, 2019, 3:44 pm

11 Days.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby cragganmor » May 5, 2019, 1:02 am

gradyandrew wrote:It's so disappointing to read we don't get the 31st pick because of trying to save luxury tax on Travis Outlaw in 2014. Thats the same spot we got mitch and is great because 2nd rounders arent guaranteed a spot, so theres more freedom with the contract type.

those first ten 2nd round picks are plum opportunities to take a flyer, sad we made that move just to save dolan some bux.

I do think there will be a good udfa market this summer, we got lucky last year with zo and perry could find another diamond in the rough.
cragganmor

Postby reub » May 7, 2019, 8:59 pm

My top five right now is:

Zion
Ja
Barrett
Garland
Hunter

I'd be happy with any of them.
reub

Postby nazrmohamed » May 9, 2019, 7:19 pm

I was thinking about how ADs name always comes up in trades for our first pick. What if we opened it up to other players. For example what if we offered the #1 pick Ntilikina and Trier to the Celtics for Jason Tatum, pick 14 and 20.

Then with pick 14 we grab Porter Jr and at 20 your choice. Go crazy and grab Carsen Edward's. For me I see Rui Hachimura slotted there and would probably take him there.

Then let's assume you still got Durant and Kyrie(we could make it Kemba)

Kyrie/Smith
Porter/Dotson
Tatum/Knox
Durant/Hachimura
Robinson/Kornett

Like that the Knicks have a tertiary star player on a rookie deal, keep most of our young talent that matters to us and add new talent that should be better than the young talent that left.

Boston gets to rebuild with Zion.
nazrmohamed

Postby cragganmor » May 15, 2019, 2:05 am

Unless Ja slides to us at #3 or RJ shows growth, trade down and get Coby
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » May 16, 2019, 10:20 am

as long as Dennis is traded in that process

i just wonder how the scouts see the drop off from RJ to the 4th pick...to me it's pretty slight
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » May 16, 2019, 9:16 pm

gradyandrew wrote:It's so disappointing to read we don't get the 31st pick because of trying to save luxury tax on Travis Outlaw in 2014. Thats the same spot we got mitch and is great because 2nd rounders arent guaranteed a spot, so theres more freedom with the contract type.

Not because of Outlaw. Because they wanted to make space for Travis Wear.

Travis Wear folks.
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » May 20, 2019, 1:35 pm

https://youtu.be/vL8N1QUjV2Q

brought him up months ago.....get me RJ...trade Dennis for a later pick and get him and I'm gooood $$$
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » May 21, 2019, 7:23 am

Don Che wrote:https://youtu.be/vL8N1QUjV2Q

brought him up months ago.....get me RJ...trade Dennis for a later pick and get him and I'm gooood $$$

Trading lottery selected talent for a late first rounder in a weak draft is simply not an option for me. Idk what it is with you guys. I argue for Ntilikina and yall want him traded before seeing him develop but at least in that case hes shown little. Now you wanna trade Snith who averaged 15&5 his first yr and almost 14&5 in a year we coddled a 23 yr old Emmanuel Mudiay.

Just stop. No point in ever caring about our draft position if guys cant get past someone's sophmore year, and hes shown good flashes I dont get it. For who...Baseley, Edward's?

What if Kyrie doesnt come? If you dont like trading draft picks you should also not like trading players drafted with recent draft picks. It's all the same pool of talent. Rookie contract players.
nazrmohamed

Postby StevoStarks » May 21, 2019, 2:28 pm

I'm excited to see Smith get a full year in NY.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft