Curry Wants To Be Drafted By Knicks

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Dbloc123
Likes given: 0

The Knicks are rumored to like guard Stephen Curry, and the feeling appears mutual.

In an interview with ESPN 1050 on Thursday, Curry said that he hopes the Knicks take him in next month's NBA Draft.

"That would be a dream come true," Curry said.

"One, to play with an NBA jersey; two, to play at Madison Square Garden every night; three, to play in front of the greatest NBA fans -- I think it would be something I would look forward to and I would work very hard to help my team, if that was the case, to be better.

"I think, with my pointguard skills, I could add a lot to the New York Knicks," Curry added.

If he is still there at 8 Lets give the kid his wish :D

But if we dont get another pick cant we trade with our exception with some cash considerations
to get Deandre jordan or sean williams.

curry
wilson
gallo
lee
jordan

Cant wait.
bobhait
Likes given: 62

you're talking about the Nuts' Sean Williams? I think at this point he could be had for peanuts. hell, Jersey is one lucky pick away from outright releasing the dude, I think.

far as Curry goes, who knows what's up, but it wouldn't be the first time a player said they wanted to be in New York. I'm sure he won't mind getting drafted even by the Thunder. and he should ease up on the point guard talk, doesn't he know Chris Duhon is the man up in this beatch?
sky’s the limit
Mr. Glass

Seriously, every single time I see the name Curry I think of the chunky one. If we draft the skinny one, there HAS to be a joke in there somewhere!
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
bobhait

Mr. Glass wrote:Seriously, every single time I see the name Curry I think of the chunky one. If we draft the skinny one, there HAS to be a joke in there somewhere!
here's one - ladies and gentlemen, Eddy & Stephen Curry:

sky’s the limit
NYK Fan

bobhait wrote:you're talking about the Nuts' Sean Williams? I think at this point he could be had for peanuts. hell, Jersey is one lucky pick away from outright releasing the dude, I think.

far as Curry goes, who knows what's up, but it wouldn't be the first time a player said they wanted to be in New York. I'm sure he won't mind getting drafted even by the Thunder. and he should ease up on the point guard talk, doesn't he know Chris Duhon is the man up in this beatch?
If Curry comes here, he's still a year away from starting. I see him backing up Duhon, learning the system, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if after the All-Star break he got more minutes, maybe eventually getting the starting nod in March or April. 2010 he would be starting if he's everything everyone has hyped him up to be.
Everyone finally realizes Carmelo isn't worth the max contract.

"...Carmelo... has only won a total of three playoff series... His team has won only 23 of the 66 playoff games... (a 34.8 winning percentage). That’s one the worst individual postseason records in NBA history... (Source http://bit.ly/TEn08g)"

"Jackson... likes Jeremy Lin’s game and has had his eye on the point guard since his rookie season in Golden State..." (Source http://bit.ly/1mapt5m)

Knick fan since 1987
NYK Fan

bobhait wrote:here's one - ladies and gentlemen, Eddy & Stephen Curry:

Curry looks like he's about to eat that baby.
Everyone finally realizes Carmelo isn't worth the max contract.

"...Carmelo... has only won a total of three playoff series... His team has won only 23 of the 66 playoff games... (a 34.8 winning percentage). That’s one the worst individual postseason records in NBA history... (Source http://bit.ly/TEn08g)"

"Jackson... likes Jeremy Lin’s game and has had his eye on the point guard since his rookie season in Golden State..." (Source http://bit.ly/1mapt5m)

Knick fan since 1987
m_tonkin

NYK Fan wrote: Curry looks like he's about to eat that baby.

That's not a baby that kids sixteen.
Baketball isn't a sport it's a way of life.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

If Curry comes here, he's still a year away from starting. I see him backing up Duhon, learning the system, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if after the All-Star break he got more minutes, maybe eventually getting the starting nod in March or April. 2010 he would be starting if he's everything everyone has hyped him up to be
I fully agree with you here but then where does that leave Nate? And it may not be such a bad thing unless you are a die hard Nate fan. Maybe Curry cant start but I have no doubts he can step right into Nates role on his first day and that actually makes things easier for me because now I dont resign Nate and can give Lee a little more than I mightve before. So instead of resigning Nate and Lee for a total of 12mil where maybe Lee gets 7 and Nate gets 4, I might just give Lee his 7.5 ( yeah I still dont wanna pay 8) and we just saved a boatload of cash.

And THAT Lawson fans may be the one wildcard thing going in Curry's favor. To me if both Lawson and Curry arent gonna be ready in thier first yr and we're gonna have to wait on them to develop for a yr or two anyway, I might draft Curry just out of the fact that in the short term Curry could serve the purpose of me not having to resign Nate. Then he can still play the combo guard role while he develops and in 2 yrs maybe he can learn the skills necessary to be a true pg for us. With Lawson he's either ready to play pg or not and until he's ready he serves no other purpose. This isnt to bash Lawson, just to say that factors outside of the draft may effect who we draft. I guess the same goes for Evans as well, although I see Evans as a a SG down the line
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

Instead of finding reasons why "not to resign nate" we should be finding reasons why the coaching staff cant create conditions where he plays much of the year the way he played in a 20 game stretch which rivaled any player in the league. You guys are so hot on baby-soft Curry, sorry he's abad fit. I like him as an addition to a tough team ...but us?? :D as a relecement for nate?? a sideway moves where we're still the worst defensive team in the league and one of the worst rebounding ones...another lottery position WITHOUT A DRAFT PICK. THAT WILL BE A GREAT SELL TO THE 2010 FA'S. :whacky:

SORRY WE NEED A GREAT DEFENSIVE PRESENCE AND IF HE ISNT THERE AT 8 WE SHOULD TRADE DOWN AND DRAFT T-WILL OR DEJUAN BLAIR.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
YouthMovement

Saying that Stephen Curry is a bad fit is simply ignorant.

And why the hell would we draft Dejuan Blair with David Lee and maybe Chris Wilcox on this team. Don't get me wrong he's a tenacious rebounder, but he doesn't block shots and he has no upside.
thewatcher

SETTLE DOWN youth...before you call someone ignorant fully understand the argument.

We had one of the most productive offenses in the league last year, not the problem grasshopper. The problem are the neophytes endlessly attempting to tweek the offense in a hopeless quest to recreate some semblance of nash in phx circa 2005.

Untill some move is made to address defense and rebounding WITH PLAYERS, NOT SPEACHES, you're pissing in the wind.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
nazrmohamed

I find it funny that we argue things one day based on something and then the next we use it as fodder for why it shouldnt or should happen. Let me make sense of what I just said.
Who wants to draft Thabeet? Well some of us do but how come we say that he's not a great pick after being abused by Blair, which leads us to believe that Blair isnt that good and that Thabeet should be ashamed by being beaten by such a lowly comoner. Yet then a month later because he had one dominat game against Thabeet, who I should remind everyone handled him decidedly the next time they met, we should draft Blair. So now all of a sudden the knicks need to draft an undersized PF because he works hard against other players we all agree arent that great themselves. See how silly that sounds?

Thats pretty much Blairs calling card. That there was this one game where he abused Thabeet, who happens to be a severely flawed player. Me personally I dont like undersized pf's with powergames in an uptemo offense where you PF is more likely to be at the 3pt line than clogging up the middle and I just dont understand the facination. I think we as a team dont work hard so we simply find hard workers and assume that they'll change us. This is what we call the Jared Jeffries complex. We dont play defense, Jeffries does so we do some simple truth table logic and assume he'd be a perfect fit. How bout we just find players who fit and then get them to play defense. If people dont like Curry fine, then downgrade to Gerald Henderson who at least has decent size for his position, is athletic, plays defense and can shoot. Dont go after Malik Rose' little brother.
thewatcher

Nazr, it depends on Blair's athleticism and wing-span. Playing him at center and lee at PF with Wilcox as backup works for me. I dont need to see woslon Chandler play PF ever again. I want to see him at the combine. But I agree that Gerald Henderson or Terrance williams would add a talented defensive player, it's not just about playing hard, David and Nate do play hard, they just come up short on defensive talent....so we need balance.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
YouthMovement

thewatcher wrote:SETTLE DOWN youth...before you call someone ignorant fully understand the argument.

We had one of the most productive offenses in the league last year, not the problem grasshopper. The problem are the neophytes endlessly attempting to tweek the offense in a hopeless quest to recreate some semblance of nash in phx circa 2005.

Untill some move is made to address defense and rebounding WITH PLAYERS, NOT SPEACHES, you're pissing in the wind.
i'm not trying to call you ignorant, watcher, I know you're not ignorant. I'm saying the notion is ignorant.
nbafreak724

No more Curry's on this team please. I'm not too big a fan of how this kid plays.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
nazrmohamed

thewatcher wrote:Nazr, it depends on Blair's athleticism and wing-span. Playing him at center and lee at PF with Wilcox as backup works for me. I dont need to see woslon Chandler play PF ever again. I want to see him at the combine. But I agree that Gerald Henderson or Terrance williams would add a talented defensive player, it's not just about playing hard, David and Nate do play hard, they just come up short on defensive talent....so we need balance.
Wingspans are good but if thats the best reason to sign him we're crazy. Elton Brand is a legit 6'8 who does well cause of his wongspan and he plays PF as a rare one of a kind type of guy ( chances are slim that you'll find another with his dimentions that has the same success), yet Blair can play Center? C'mon thats alot of wishing and hoping. Look, I think Blair can carve his niche in this league and if the guy can give you Milsap type numbers off the bench youve done a great job...........if youre talking about stealing him at pick 20, not at pick 13. Then youre just playing into Fads, this new fad that all you need is a 6'7 hustle guy. Notice that all the rest of these types were end of the first round to second round picks. If we can buy a pick around 20 and he's there, sure give the guy a shot. But I can argue that if all youre looking for is an off the bench guy anyway, why not get Chase Buddinger as a late first round pick and while he doesnt have the star wow effect, he can at least be a solid pure shooter we've been looking for cause guess what? Gallo isnt enough. But lets face it guys, we aret gonna solve all the knicks problems in one summers weak draft so stop looking to solve problems and start looking to get great talent with great potential. Free agents solve imediate problems, not draft picks outside of the top 5.
nazrmohamed

Also we didnt have a very productive offense last season. We did score aklot of points but we didnt necessarily do it in the most efficient way and thats why we lost. Sure our defense sucked but so did Pheonixs. Sometimes its not about reinventing yourself if you are an offensive or defensive team, its about getting more efficient at the things you do well. I dont mean to sound as if we cant use defense, but we still have a ways to go before we can say our offense is where it should be. It'll be there when our scorers dont feel they need to isolate in order to score because we got a pg who can realy lead.
Koopa Troopa

i dont know who this guy is or how good he is, but if he can make sure nate isnt on the roster next season, im down
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1122

nazrmohamed wrote:Also we didnt have a very productive offense last season. We did score aklot of points but we didnt necessarily do it in the most efficient way and thats why we lost. Sure our defense sucked but so did Pheonixs. Sometimes its not about reinventing yourself if you are an offensive or defensive team, its about getting more efficient at the things you do well. I dont mean to sound as if we cant use defense, but we still have a ways to go before we can say our offense is where it should be. It'll be there when our scorers dont feel they need to isolate in order to score because we got a pg who can realy lead.
You hit it right on the money, nazr. The problem with 90% of this site is that they fell the Knicks should always remain a grind-out, slow-tempo, defensive half-court squad. What people need to realize is, defense can also be played on uptempo, full-court offensive squads..........defense is fucking universal dammit, it's not stuck to one style of play. Defense cannot be played one way, just 'cause a multiple-number of half-court teams have won championships for this style. As I could recall from some people, our 1970s championship Knicks squad was a defensive-minded squad that played uptempo, and the infamous 80s Showtime Lakers were also a great defensive squad that liked to run.

The key to these 2 uptempo squads is........they had a PG who can maintain the ball movement of the offense and lead the squad. In this draft, and possibly in these next 2 off-seasons, we are in position to acquire that PG who can do that for us. Whether it be Rubio, Jennings, Curry, Lawson, or the infamous FA possibilities of Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Andre Miller, these guys have the possibility of making our offensive situation more better. The other key that I also forgot to mention is the big man situation, we also need a defensive big men to defend the paint to stop easy layups/dunks from other teams and make it more comfortable for our perimeter defenders. If Donnie Walsh manages to pull off a second 1st round draft pick in this draft or next year's draft, we'll be in position to get one of those as well.

Plus, this is a different NBA as well........they're putting more restrictions on how to play defense now, which gives more skilled-perimeter players freedom to drive into the paint. Derek Harper in this current NBA would prolly be regarded as nothing more than an average defender like most of the other average starting PGs in this league due to the hand-checking rule.........shoot, he'd prolly be in more foul trouble if he did try to defend with those hand-checks.

I know I've bashed Curry for not being an actual PG.......but after watching "several" YouTube clips of Stephen Curry and remembered some of his other NCAA performances that I've seen from the tv myself, I'm not gonna end the case of Curry's PG status.......the kid might end up actually becoming great in terms of a PG. At this point, Stephen Curry is already in the starting position to actual learn to be a PG, and Bobby Knight is already shitting his pants over Curry's creative passing. I'm willing to roll the dice on Curry over Lawson and Brandon Jennings if they are all available to us when it comes to our draft number on draft night. But if Curry's gone by the time the Knicks are up to draft, I'd go Jennings..........then Lawson if Jennings is gone as well.

Just to sum up what I just said, if Curry is there and Rubio isn't, we should go for it. As much as our need for big men is also a glaring need, our need to stabilize our offense should be a priority first. There are some games I've felt we could have won offensively as well, if our PG reduced the amount of iso-play in the offense. Defensively, we'll still need to worry about it.........but I think Walsh is paying attention to the D-League for that answer already, so we shouldn't stress the draft so much to finding our defensive anchor considering D-League guys like Sene and Sims are still looking for NBA jobs.
thewatcher

no, I love the 7 second or less offense. Wanting defensive players with talent doesnt necessarily mean I want a half-court team. Thats a false conclusion. I gave DAntoni the benifit of the doubt till he exchanged Balk for Roberson...that showed his commitment to d.
And i will say once again, who on this site believes that the addition of Curry and loss of nate will make us a playoff team?? huh?? anyone?? :? no I didnt think so. Curry is as soft as a baby's bottom, and we will be pathetic on defense yet again. We'll be in the lottery without a pick>> :cry: that will do wonders luring LBJ from Cleveland.
n8 the gr8 wrote: