Jimmer

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

knicksfan4life
Likes given: 0

Jimmer's brother said the family is hoping he goes to NY. The Knicks pick should land in the 15-20 range where Jimmer is expected to be taken. Can I get some thoughts on the idea of Jimmer as a Knick ?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Great shooter and scorer, but he needs shot volume and a lot of touches, won't play any D whatsoever. Still not sold that his game will fly in the NBA, as everyone is bigger, stronger and faster than NCAA.

I don't think he's a good fit for us. On a rebuilding team that's loaded with defenders and a low post threat he'd be a good fit.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Theres no chance that he can be any less good at the nba level than Juan Carlos Navarro on Dallas so Id love to get him if we could. But if we find ourselves leaning toward keeping Billups maybe we should stocvk up on bigs.
Naan

Douglas will be a better pro than him. I'd pass on Jimmer.
cragganmor

nazrmohamed wrote:Theres no chance that he can be any less good at the nba level than Juan Carlos Navarro on Dallas so Id love to get him if we could. But if we find ourselves leaning toward keeping Billups maybe we should stocvk up on bigs.
Jose Juan Barea?

I wouldn't use the # 17 on an undersized SG. We can get a great defender with upside like Singleton, a good forward like one of the Morris brothers, USC's Nikola Vucevic, maybe a shot at Brandon Knight sliding to us.
noypi
Likes given: 24

There's is no way in hell Mike D will pass up on the chance to draft Jimmer Fredette. He's a lights out shooter especially from beyond the arc which of course a is prerequisite to be a MDA rotation player. He could drop 40-50pts when his hot with his insane shooting (Arizona and New Mexico got Jimmered). However, there is a strong possibility that he could be the next J.J. Redick of the NBA. I'd still take him. :D
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
cragganmor

He's going to have much taller, faster defenders on him at all positions, even when he gets free. Secondly, he's a volume shooter that needs the ball in his hands; instant chemistry problem as we're trying to improve ball movement. Jimmer is great when he's the primary scoring threat, but can he be a third option and be an effective playmaker? He definitely can't defend anyone, even in NCAA and will be awful in the pros.

Charles Jenkins or Andrew Goudelock are better options as scoring PGs as both are slotted to the second round, less risk and both are better defenders than Jimmer. Bismack Biyombo or Chris Singleton are better choices with say, the #17 pick.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2681

Fuck no. :thumbsdown:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
nazrmohamed

cragganmor wrote:He's going to have much taller, faster defenders on him at all positions, even when he gets free. Secondly, he's a volume shooter that needs the ball in his hands; instant chemistry problem as we're trying to improve ball movement. Jimmer is great when he's the primary scoring threat, but can he be a third option and be an effective playmaker? He definitely can't defend anyone, even in NCAA and will be awful in the pros.

Charles Jenkins or Andrew Goudelock are better options as scoring PGs as both are slotted to the second round, less risk and both are better defenders than Jimmer. Bismack Biyombo or Chris Singleton are better choices with say, the #17 pick.

Who defends the perimeter in the nba anyway. I nderstand where youre coming from but every year we hear the same things from scouts about guys who cant get thier shot off in the league because of height or speed, and every year the nba strengthens rules to make it so that if you shoot- nobody is gonna stop you from doing shit. All you need is the ability and the confidence to take a shot and you can have it for the most part. So I dont think he'll have any problem getting his shot off, especially considering hed be far from the best player for the defense to focus in on on our team. This system will get him plenty of open shots and space to improvise when thats not there.

My thing is this, and I like a few PF's and C;s in this draft. Are we drafting for the future or looking for an impact player right away. I think there are good prospects for either plan. Singleton would be great in this system.....in 2 yrs. Even that guy whos rising, Bizmack is years away from really being a rotation player. So while you may feel we need a C and PF more than a guard there really arent many nba ready guys that late in the draft this year that'll do anything to fill a need. The best I can hope for in this draft is to get another Landry Fields, and to me this year that could be the Jimmer. Considering what I said abovewe might get more instant production from Jimmer than anybigman in this draft at pick 17.

Use trades and FA to fill our bigman needs.
cragganmor

The guy that will be most like a Landry Fields is more likely to be a senior. Guys like Charles Jenkins, Andre Goudelock, Cam Long and Etwaun Moore are all good players that are probably in the second round. Jimmer could have answered some of those risks by playing in the PIT, but he declined his invitation.

Landry never had a question about his size, athleticism or defensive effort. Jimmer is a big question mark for all 3. I would not compare him to say, Steph Curry; SC is much quicker and shares the ball more readily.

We struggle a lot when the PG can't defend his position and need TD or Carter to play alongside Billups to cover, who still has problems matching up with legit SGs.

I'd rather go with the athletic C or forward that compliments Amare and Melo in the rotation, tightens up our interior D. A scoring PG is the least of our needs. I'd argue that a capable SG that can defend, pass, consistently hit the 3 and slash a little bit is more important; you can see that MDA since the beginning of the season has tried to put Bill Walker in that role.
qdman

But there aren't any C's this year for us, they'll all be gone. I wish we could draft Kenneth Faried, but it'd be a waste with our stars, not to mention our coach.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2681

Jimmer is the second coming of Indiana's Steve Alford. All hype.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
nazrmohamed

cragganmor wrote:The guy that will be most like a Landry Fields is more likely to be a senior. Guys like Charles Jenkins, Andre Goudelock, Cam Long and Etwaun Moore are all good players that are probably in the second round. Jimmer could have answered some of those risks by playing in the PIT, but he declined his invitation.

Landry never had a question about his size, athleticism or defensive effort. Jimmer is a big question mark for all 3. I would not compare him to say, Steph Curry; SC is much quicker and shares the ball more readily.

We struggle a lot when the PG can't defend his position and need TD or Carter to play alongside Billups to cover, who still has problems matching up with legit SGs.

I'd rather go with the athletic C or forward that compliments Amare and Melo in the rotation, tightens up our interior D. A scoring PG is the least of our needs. I'd argue that a capable SG that can defend, pass, consistently hit the 3 and slash a little bit is more important; you can see that MDA since the beginning of the season has tried to put Bill Walker in that role.
I agree that a scoring PG aint our biggest need but we do need a scorer. People discount it with Amare and Melo here but who outside of that can create thier own offense? And Im not saying youre wrong Cragg about what you wanna get, or the skillset youre looking for but the last time we went for need in the draft we got Jordan Hill. It made perfect sense, we needed a rebounder and size and he was supposed to give it to us. We all know how that turned out. The last time we got the best player available we drafted Gallo. To me if you want to get the desired effect out of whoever youre drafting like you said they gotta be a senior OR they gotta be a lottery phenom. All the later drafted bigmen are gonna spend time developing for probably over a year or two so therefore your desired efeect is ruined. Jimmer isnt a lottery phenom but at 17 hes the closest thing to it. And we dont know either if he couldnt be developed in his playmaking skills.

Im not saying Im drafting him, but hes in my top 3. My list at 17 based on mocks right now are Markief Morris, Jimmer Freddete and Chris Singleton, but depending on the offensive skill level of the 17th pick Id love for u to buy a pick for Kenneth Fared or Justin Harper late in the first round
cragganmor

In the first round, with our #17: Biyombo, Markieff, Vucevic and Singleton would all be solid picks. All of them will need a season to mature but can contribute 10-12 mpg as rookies. This draft is about upside; only Derrick and Kyrie are ready to make an impact.

Now if we wanted to draft a PG with the #17 or buy another 1st rounder near the bottom, then I'd take a long look at Reggie Jackson from BC. The kid has length and athleticism, can get in the lane very well, shot 52% from the arc and defends his position, maybe even both G spots.

If we can buy a decent second round pick, I'd try and get either Darius Morris (Mich), a really good playmaker and improving shooter with size at 6'4" or Charles Jenkins, who did his damage in the very defense-strong CAA against the likes of VCU, Old Dominion and George Mason (all of them were in the big tourney). Jenkins is super-efficient from all over the floor, only needed 14 attempts to get his 22 ppg this season.

Other guys worth looking at in the 2nd if we can buy another pick (all seniors):
- Jamie Skeen, 6'9" 240#. I think he'd be a much better Shawne Williams as a stretch 4, play inside and out.
- Gilbert Brown, 6'6" 200#. Plays a very team-oriented game and gives you a bit of everything, very strong and will guard anybody.
- Justin Holday, 6'6" 185#. Has lockdown potential at the wing and can hit his perimeter shots.