trading down?

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

it could happen that we get shut out of all the players we covet (dieng, crabbe, mitchell, grj, etc.). as others have said, there's not that much separation in talent for this draft, could trading down into the 2nd round for a pair of picks work out?

there's one kid that appears to be this year's version of jimmy butler; 6'7" with 6'11" length, tough defender that can rebound and hit an open shot, hard worker. his name is james ennis (long beach state), who's only played div 1 for the past 2 seasons and could have a lot of upside.

trevor mbakwe, is another undersized pf/c, 6'8" with a 7'4" reach, a physical defender/rebounder that compares favorably to kenneth faried. the rap on him is that he was a redshirted senior with an acl tear and has started to regain his former explosiveness; a 36.5" max vertical compared to faried's 35" max vertical in pre-draft camp. mbakwe did an impressive 21 reps on the bench, which is amazing for a guy with such long arms (faried did 16 reps).

pierre jackson from baylor is an undersized pg, only 5'10 with a reach to match, but elite hops and speed. he's been impressive in the combine in showing off his shooting, slashing and p&r skills. he could be one of those great backup pg's that elevate the floor energy for your team.

any other favorite no-name with big game players?
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

No cragg

The knicks aren't helping you live out your dream every year of finding some second round sleeper. Goddamn you're predictable. You do realize that like clockwork youre always more interested in the second round and oh yeah....the d-league, than guys in the first. What is it with you?

Best
Player
Available.

I mean, I do want another pick and do think there are some talents but Im not passing on Wilson Chandlers so I can sign two Landry Fields. Hell no. Besides, the guys you mentioned aren't the only good guys.
Last edited by nazrmohamed on May 31st, 2013, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

it's because the first rounders are typically low-hanging fruit. guys have been scrutinized in ncaa or euroleague, not as much mystery.

however, you should read the first sentence. i've stipulated that all of the players we covet are off the board at #24. then what do we do? is trading down a better option in that case?

let me ask you this, wouldn't you want a player like paul milsap on this squad? a young carlos boozer? a young agent zero?

even if they didn't fit the team concept, they could be viewed as a trade asset to get a player you really wanted, maybe even the one that is needed.

now read the last sentence. i'm asking if anyone else thinks that there are any other good players in the second round.
spree#8
Likes given: 547

No. The draft isn't even that deep to begin with, so we gotta take the best talent available as high as possible. We didn't have a first round pick last year, don't have one next year, so it is paramount to get the most value in a single player out of this draft.
#knickstape
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Considering the Knicks' top need is YOUTH...................basically Best Player/Talent Available is the only answer for this year. This isn't the same scenario where we were lacking depth at one position, but was stock loaded at the other positions.

We have old farts at every fucking position, not to a portion of our front court depth this year is retired AND our back court depth is fucking close to retirement. Add on to the fact that there is no backup SF, then we have ourselves an issue at ALL POSITIONS.

So Best Player Available will fit any of those god forsaken slots that we will be seeking............we have needs at EVERY POSITION b/c Woody forced Grunwald to stock pile the bench with the NBA retirement home instead of going after some more stable, healthier veterans
rtn393
Global Moderator
Likes given: 0

I agree with you cragg that this should be considered, depending on the offer. Unless a lottery guy slips or a great fit like Larkin or Dieng is available at #24, the talent differential between the end of the first round and middle of the second round is marginal. Given our lack of cap flexibility, might as well stockpile some young, promising players and hope one or two blossom. If we can buy a second round pick and also get a lead on some promising undrafted FAs, then staying at #24 probably makes the most sense; however, trading down shouldn't be ruled out.
qdman
Likes given: 0

We need a guy who is as close to NBA playoff ready on some level as possible. If we can't get one of the solid bigs like Dieng then there's no point taking guys who would be expected to develop behind one of our really set core of wings. I see us as being very specific shoppers this year, I think the 2nd round guys you tend to watch are more our ballgame this year, lets trade down for an established nba player and try to draft kabongo or a big.
spree#8
Likes given: 547

rtn393 wrote:I agree with you cragg that this should be considered, depending on the offer. Unless a lottery guy slips or a great fit like Larkin or Dieng is available at #24, the talent differential between the end of the first round and middle of the second round is marginal. Given our lack of cap flexibility, might as well stockpile some young, promising players and hope one or two blossom. If we can buy a second round pick and also get a lead on some promising undrafted FAs, then staying at #24 probably makes the most sense; however, trading down shouldn't be ruled out.
Given our lack of cap flexibility a first round pick on a cap friendly four year contract is invaluable. With those second rounders you get fast into a Jeremy Lin/Omar Asik situation if they pan out above expectations. So, no. Trading down shouldn't be an option in the lonely one of three years we have an own first rounder. :thumbsdown:
#knickstape