2015 draft discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

the private workout usually is 3-on-3, a format that favors scorers. that should play in mudiay's favor, but if he has a bad day, then he could slide; it's happened before, can get burned by limiting access and teams need a rational reason to believe in investing in a young player.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Justice Winslow is being seen in a higher light now from my perspective.

The guy is a killer and shows up...along with attributes that translate to the NBA right now(athlete/high IQ Defense and offense/passing/motor).

I'd be more considering of taking him if he can become a 2 guard which is how he was viewed in HS at 6'4. In college he guarded 2/3/4 but played a lot of 4 in Duke and at 6'7 230 lbs will be seen as a 3.

I like his intangibles and mind set..I just question if he's talented enough to be a game changer like we all expect a top pick to be. If Winslow can polish up his handle and mid range along with his other things...thats a legit Franchise wing player.
StevoStarks

Don Che wrote:Justice Winslow is being seen in a higher light now from my perspective.

The guy is a killer and shows up...along with attributes that translate to the NBA right now(athlete/high IQ Defense and offense/passing/motor).

I'd be more considering of taking him if he can become a 2 guard which is how he was viewed in HS at 6'4. In college he guarded 2/3/4 but played a lot of 4 in Duke and at 6'7 230 lbs will be seen as a 3.

I like his intangibles and mind set..I just question if he's talented enough to be a game changer like we all expect a top pick to be. If Winslow can polish up his handle and mid range along with his other things...thats a legit Franchise wing player.
I like Winslow too. He showed me a lot in the tourney.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
DolanCurse2001
Likes given: 0

NBA Combine started today on NBATV @ 1pm

http://www.nba.com/live3/
Don Che

Someone give feedback on it for those at work
DolanCurse2001

Don Che wrote:Someone give feedback on it for those at work
I only caught the Russell interview. Says he compares his game to Manu.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

i think winslow has a lot of jimmy butler in his game and he's more polished at this stage than he was at the same age; very impressed by his toughness through the tourney, made the defensive plays all over the floor and clutch baskets, showed a very high motor. being the most versatile and complete player in the top 5, he is less risky than the other 4 and still has lots of upside due to his smarts, effort, physical tools and he's 19. if you can live with the rough spots inherent with young players, pairing him with thanasis at the wing spots would give us 2 elite athletes with excellent length on the floor, might do very nicely to shore up our perimeter defense.
Don Che

exactly what I was thinking.

Winslow and Langston would be real annoying to go up against just on a motor/athleticism level for the opposition.

Thanasis to back them up would be interesting to see...even if we dont win games..we will know its not due to effort and if the coach gets those kind of athletes to buy in..its good groundwork for our young players.

Even throw Early in that mix ...he showed more defense then I thought..showed no offense tho.
StevoStarks

If we get the 5th pick, it would be too easy to take him.

If you get the 4th, you're probably going to decide between Winslow and Mudiay since it sounds like the 76'ers are dead set on Russell. Then what? KFISF care to weigh in? JK.

Winslow plays hard and he's all over the floor. I think he's the clear cut 5th pick, ahead of Cauley-Stein.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
DolanCurse2001

5th I'm taking WTCS assuming Towns, Okafor, Russell and Winslow are gone. Tanking a season for WTCS is going to suck but at least we'll have a true C the next few years. And if WTCS develops into a Noah/DeAndre type as expected, getting a player like that at 5th is not that bad.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

Yeah, I got WCS ahead of Winslow myself. The guy can defend up to three positions and is all over the place defensively. Homework assignment for him-study Noah. I could take Stein as high as 4rth.
StevoStarks

And my pick of Winslow ahead of WCS assumes Winslow plays the SG position. Which I think he has to based on his size.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
nazrmohamed

StevoStarks wrote:And my pick of Winslow ahead of WCS assumes Winslow plays the SG position. Which I think he has to based on his size.
He's more of a natural 3 but really he's a wing. You can place him at either position. Might have to get his handle up a bit for the 2 but he's fine
DolanCurse2001

nazrmohamed

DolanCurse2001 wrote:Draft Combine Measurements

http://stats.nba.com/draftcombine/#!/anthro/
These measurements are ridiculous. I especially like when two guys are only a quarter inch different without shoes and then when they put on shoes one is 2 inches taller than the other.
DolanCurse2001

Fran Fraschilla, who will host combine coverage on ESPN2 starting Thursday, said he believes Knicks president Phil Jackson has a very tough choice between the two, giving a very slight edge to Towns. Fraschilla said the Kentucky center potentially is “the grand slam and Okafor is just the home run.’’

“If the Knicks pick 1, they’re going to be scratching their head for a month figuring if they want to go with Okafor or Towns,’’ Fraschilla said at the combine. “Okafor may be more ready to average 18 [points] and nine [rebounds] as a rookie. Towns has a chance to be a better player over the next decade. Towns has more versatility because he has the ability to play away from the basket. In the triangle, that doesn’t hurt, especially at the elbow. But the triangle also is made for low-post players like Shaq. The dilemma is do you want the surer thing early in Okafor vs. rolling the dice Towns becomes a better player over time?’’

Fraschilla understands the Towns hype, but still seems to speak more glowingly about Okafor as a more certain commodity.
“There’s still room for a [low-post scorer] like Okafor,’’ Fraschilla said. “You’re talking about his limitations being on the defensive end, but talking about a skill, in his early 20s, I think he will be unguardable. Towns is not as ready-made as Okafor offensively, but has tantalizing shot-blocking potential and is developing into a low-post scorer. Something not seen this year, but for those watching him since he was 16, he has an ability to step away and shoot 3s. Towns probably has a slight edge on him because he’s the grand slam and Okafor is just the home run. But if you can find a low-post scorer at 6-11 who scores as effortlessly as Okafor can, it’s hard to pass up.’’
Fraschilla said he believes the “first tier’’ consists of six guys, but he doesn’t include Winslow in that group. Instead, Fraschilla puts two European projects, 7-foot-1 Kristaps Porzingis and 6-6 Mario Hezonja at No. 5 and 6. He admits it’s unlikely Jackson would gamble on Porzingis, a Latvian power forward, because he’s unlikely to be able to contribute for two years because of strength issues. Fraschilla has Winslow at No. 7, believing he had his most success at power forward, which won’t be his NBA position.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/13/towns-or-o ... -his-pick/
DolanCurse2001

-Willie Cauley-Stein: The Kentucky center measured 6'11.25 without shoes with a 7'3 wingspan and a 242 pound frame. His 6.3% body fat is very low for a big man and his standing reach ranks 5th among the players measured here. Cauley-Stein isn't as historically large as Upshaw, but his measurements aren't far off those of Chris Bosh who measured 6'10.25 with a 7'3.5 wingspan and a 225-pound frame coming out of Georgia Tech. Cauley-Stein measured a little longer than he had in the past, and that, combined with his terrific agility, instincts and anticipation skills make it very easy to see him developing into a defensive stopper in the NBA.

-D'Angelo Russell: The elite shooting guard prospect measured right on par with expectations. Standing 6'3.25 without shoes, or a legit 6'5 in shoes, Russell has excellent size for a guard to go along with a 193 pound frame that he's added almost 20 pounds of muscle to over the last two years, along with a 6'9.75 wingspan. He has terrific length for his height, which sets him apart from many guard prospects we've seen recently. His closest physical comparison in terms of height and length is actually Victor Oladipo, who measured 6'3.25 without shoes with a 6'9.25 wingspan, albeit with a heavier 213-pound frame. Russell's hand size and width also rank well above average among the players in attendance here regardless of position. Combine all that with his sweet shooting stroke, tremendous court vision, ball-handling and creativity, and you have all the makings of an elite guard prospect.

-Justise Winslow: Standing 6'4.5 without shoes with a 6'10.25 wingspan and a 221.8-pound frame, Winslow doesn't really stand out on paper among his peers in terms of sheer size, aside from his tiny 5.3% body fat percentage. The Duke product is almost exactly the same size as Lance Stephenson, who measured 6'4.5 without shoes to go along with a 6'10.5 wingspan while tipping the scales at 227 pounds. Though Winslow's raw size may not stand out, he figures to be one of the more impressive athletes in attendance.

-Stanley Johnson: The Arizona freshman measured 6'5 without shoes with a 6'11.5 wingspan and a 241.8 pound frame. Measured 6'6.75 without shoes by USA Basketball last summer, this is an underwhelming measurement for the strong, talented wing. His strength sets him apart from the average wing prospect, and he compares favorably to Jae Crowder who measured 6'4.75 with a 241-pound frame and a 6'9.25 wingspan in 2012.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/201 ... ysis-4964/
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

DolanCurse2001 wrote:Draft Combine Measurements

http://stats.nba.com/draftcombine/#!/anthro/
That website is set up oddly. When I click on the strength and agility it takes me to the 14-15 results. Anyone have an idea when those numbers are coming?
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
DolanCurse2001

FYI, ESPN2 will have the combine from 3pm-7pm. I believe today and tomorrow they do 3vs3 and 5vs5 drills and scrimmages.
DolanCurse2001

n8 the gr8 wrote: That website is set up oddly. When I click on the strength and agility it takes me to the 14-15 results. Anyone have an idea when those numbers are coming?
They haven't done strength and agility stuff yet. When you click on it, it gives you last years results.