D'Angelo Russell Thread

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:D’Angelo Russell

It’s easy to see how D’Angelo Russell is one of the most talented players in this draft class, and the ability to pull up from anywhere on the court puts so much pressure on a defense. That, combined with his incredible passing skills, makes it easy to fall in love with Russell’s potential.

But I do think Russell is a riskier prospect than some make him out to be.

Concerns about Russell’s athleticism have been front and center pretty much all year, and they’re legitimate concerns. He’s a below the rim player without a great burst with the ball in his hands.

He compounds this by having a sorely underdeveloped right hand. This is most evident when finishing at the rim, when Russell avoids using his right hand almost at all costs, even in situations when using his left hand brings him right into the path of a shot blocker, or gives him an awkward attempt with a poor angle. It’s not just the ineffectiveness of his right hand, it’s also his unwillingness to even attempt to use it.

That underdeveloped right hand shows up in his ball handling as well. Russell will, at times, go right, but it’s almost always to setup a crossover back to his left. When the defense keys on taking away his ability to go back left the result was usually Russell settling for a bad shot.

The end result was Russell struggling to turn the corner against elite defenders. How he’ll do against the long, athletic defenders in the NBA? It’s a very real concern of mine. I’ve referenced the table below numerous times in the past, but the fact that Russell shot only 40.4% from two point range against top-100 defenses concerns me greatly, at least when I’m trying to project an elite scorer in the NBA.

Competition Record Mins/g Points/g FG% 3PT% 2PT% Assists/g TO/g
Top 100 8-9 35.6 17.7 37.9 34.8 40.4 4.4 3
Outside of top 100 16-2 32.4 20.8 52.2 47.4 56.4 5.6 2.8

But while OSU’s deficiencies absolutely played a part in Russell’s struggles against good defenders, it’s hard for me to get those fears out of my head when his own deficiencies — weak right hand, average athleticism, lack of explosion around the hoop — were very big contributing factors in Russell becoming one dimensional against the elite competition.

(One final thing: can we please stop the James Harden comparisons? It’s impossible to compare a guy who got to the line at an elite clip with a guy who is average at getting to the line. Russell’s 30.3% free throw rate isn’t a great indicator for a guard that’s a top pick in the draft, and is a very, very, very, big difference from Harden’s 60.2% rate as a freshman, something that has been a crucial part of his success in the NBA).

Player Free Throw Rate (FTA/FGA)
D'Angelo Russell 30.3%
James Harden (freshman) 60.2%
I've only been sayin' all these things all season long...

Did this writer have any articles on the other guys? (Found it...)

Spacing. Spacing. Spacing. Spacing.

It’s going to become the most popular word in Sixers basketball over the next year, and with good reason. Spacing, in general, is extremely important in the NBA, almost regardless of what players, or what philosophy, your offense is built around. Add in the potential of having one of your top offensive options operate in the post and spacing becomes downright crucial.

That need for spacing, and the sudden realization that 3 points are more valuable than 2, has led to a premium on three point shooting. Back in 2004-05 teams averaged 5.6 made three pointers per game. That jumped to 7.8 per game this past season, a 40% increase in made three’s per game. The overall efficiency is about the same, with the league connecting on 35.6% of them in 2004-05 and 35.0% in 2014-15, but the volume has increased dramatically.

There’s no better way to space the floor than to have a ball handler who is a threat to pull up from anywhere on the floor, and Russell is exactly that. Russell shot 42% on shots beyond 24′, which would be a three pointer from anywhere on an NBA court. He shot 42% from beyond 26′, for that matter. His range is incredible.

He’s also a very good shooter off the pick and roll, in large part because of his incredible ability to shoot off the dribble. Only one player in all of college basketball attempted more jump shots off the dribble than Russell did while doing so more efficiently.

That combination of 25’+ range, along with his elite ability to shoot off the dribble (and do so quickly), along with his creativity passing the ball off the pick and roll, should combine to create a really good pick and roll combination with Joel Embiid, and give defenses absolute fits when deciding where to shift their defensive focus.

This is all part of the reason why I believe that not only is D’Angelo Russell the right fit for the Sixers, but that the Sixers are the right fit for Russell. Russell’s threat on the perimeter will open things up for Embiid, both down low on the block and when diving to the hoop off the pick and roll. But the attention Embiid will receive will also open things up for Russell. Can Russell become a high-volume isolation threat who can finish efficienctly at the rim? I think there’s legitimate concern. But I think the Sixers are the right spot to mitigate that risk and exploit his very legitimate strengths.
Link...
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
DolanCurse2001

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Be honest with y'all the best thing to do is trade Melo and sign both of these guys. The Mudaiy/Russell backcourt lol. They both need each other. Would make an awesome backcourt.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

nazrmohamed wrote:Be honest with y'all the best thing to do is trade Melo and sign both of these guys. The Mudaiy/Russell backcourt lol. They both need each other. Would make an awesome backcourt.

the thought of trading melo for russell or mudiay actually made me throw up a bit.

if towns slips to 2, I'd consider making that phone call to LA.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Towns and Mudiay and cry of happiness
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Don Che wrote:Towns and Mudiay and cry of happiness
just think of the P&R damage that would occur 5 years from now when they're getting to their prime and the triangle is gone
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che

Theres pick and roll in the triangle dont get antsy
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

Don Che wrote:Theres pick and roll in the triangle dont get antsy
If Fisher continues "being more creative" from the end of this past season onto this season, we may see this being explored more.

Last thing we need is for Fisher to remain "strict" on the basic sets of the Triangle and ignore the P&R options that come along with it.
Don Che

He will be fine...at first u gotta be strict with the basics then role out the bells and whistles
DolanCurse2001

[youtube]hVIa5FqgygE[/youtube]
DolanCurse2001

“I’m the best player in the draft,” Russell said at the Chicago draft combine last month.
He has support.
“He’s got a prototype NBA game,” said Louisville coach Rick Pitino — who recruited Russell but lost him to Ohio State, where the teenager saw an immediate chance to start. “If you asked me, ‘Who’s the most skilled player in the NBA draft?’ It would be him by far.”

Pitino likened Russell to Jalen Rose, a point/shooting guard hybrid. Russell does the best of both positions. His passing and shooting displays at Ohio State made him a YouTube sensation.
“Nobody passes like him. He’s an erratic scorer but he can score. He’s got great size, quickness, good hands. He’s an adequate defender. He goes left predominantly, like a Jalen Rose,” Pitino said. “He’s a better shooter than Rose was when Rose came into the league. He’s got unbelievable vision. He’ll see everything going on.”

“He would be a great fit in New York,” said Boyle, who coached top-three picks Kyrie Irving, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Joel Embiid. “He has a chance to be Rookie of the Year because he’s going to score more at the NBA level.”

“He belongs, no question,” one NBA assistant said. “Will he struggle some? I’m sure he will. There are … things he’ll have to adjust to, [like] how fast the game is. He’s more of a deliberate player. And defensively guarding some of those good guards in the league.
“I know the word is like poison, but his ‘upside’ is very up. He sees the floor. It’s almost like he sees the play before it happens.”
But as ready and fine-tuned as Russell may seem, he remains a basketball baby.
“He’s probably the most skilled basketball player in the draft: shooting, passing, catching, all the fundamentals,” Pitino said. “He’s about as skilled as it comes. I’ll tell you what he needs to learn: He has to learn what it means to be a professional. Every rookie does.”
“He will be a very good player, an NBA general manager said. “But I don’t think a rookie coming in at age 19 is going to be ready right away, not at our level.”

“He will be a very good player, an NBA general manager said. “But I don’t think a rookie coming in at age 19 is going to be ready right away, not at our level.”

But Russell has handled tasks seemingly beyond his years before. ***

Quentin Snider tried to lure Russell to Louisville with him but failed. Snider knows what Russell brings.
“I’ve known D’Angelo since the third grade,” Snider said. “He’s very confident. He’s got a great personality. He’s real goofy but when the game’s on the line, he’s ready to play.”

But Snider points to one aspect about Russell, as do many.

“When it’s a big game, he definitely shows up,” Snider said.

“He does like the big stage,” Boyle said. “A lot of kids can’t handle that but he’s got the mentality of, if he misses five shots in a row, there’s something wrong with the ball. He doesn’t think it’s him and that’s a great quality about him.”
“He’s not going to be afraid. The bigger the stage, the more he’ll excel,” Pitino said, recalling a conversation he had with Snider, who told him if Russell has a weakness, it’s “‘He loves the big game. If you’re playing against Coppin State, he may not bring it like he would bring it against Kentucky.’ ”

http://nypost.com/2015/06/06/ohio-state ... aft-nears/
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Well the last big stage I saw him it looked horrendous. But hey, nobody loses well in college. In the nba you could score 20 and lose while looking well. In college typically the reason you don't win is your best players gets eliminated and there's not enough talent elsewhere. We'll see. I wouldn't be upset if we got him but he's not my top choice.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

#knickstape