[Merged] 2017 Draft Discussion...

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Noah is coming back from an injury AND a 20 game suspension....if we start the season well and if Willy progresses from last year.... Will may lock up the job before Noah even has a chance to play.

Main wing options I'm seeing are Porter/Winslow/Brown..... I'd take either 1 but I'll guess Jus rise because he's the least productive so far
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 795

I do not like Winslows injury history so let's stay away from him...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Don Che

True but thats why he's available id guess it.

I dont see a Porter sign and trade for Melo

Boston is back to playing well...so the Heat may be in play.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

For me the best option still might be the Bulls. They got a couple young players I like, a stat pick and could flip Lopez back to us as cap filler
Don Che

hmm not sure what players I'd like from the Bulls honestly
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

i'm kinda thinking that miami would be a better fit; on d, they have an elite rim protector to cover his mistakes and on offense they have dragic to open the floor for him. the question is, what would we want from their roster? is bosh's contract, winslow plus the #16 enough?
nazrmohamed

Beyond looking at who we draft at our pick, I wonder what the Kings might give up to move up one slot to our pick. Obviously mocks are mocks but if the Kings believe Markkanen or Monk are more important than pick 8&10 they might part with them. Or we could draft Smith with 7 and they draft Ntilikina at 8 and they trade us Frank and a young prospect they already have.

So let's say we select Smith Jr, they like him and with one of thier picks grab Frank. And then we're trading Smith for Frank and WCS. Or Hield and we're getting Isaac.

And before you start telling me whose where keys for a second stop assuming every move is our final move. We could land Stein and then trade Oquinn for some second rounders and draft some guards. Or something else. The Melo trade could yield us a pg. We gotta look at multiple options but to me the best option is walking out of this draft with multiple players from a lottery. Could be two picks for one, could be a slightly lower pick and a player in the lottery within the last 2 yrs. Think outside the box
cragganmor

nazrmohamed wrote:Beyond looking at who we draft at our pick, I wonder what the Kings might give up to move up one slot to our pick. Obviously mocks are mocks but if the Kings believe Markkanen or Monk are more important than pick 8&10 they might part with them. Or we could draft Smith with 7 and they draft Ntilikina at 8 and they trade us Frank and a young prospect they already have.

So let's say we select Smith Jr, they like him and with one of thier picks grab Frank. And then we're trading Smith for Frank and WCS. Or Hield and we're getting Isaac.

And before you start telling me whose where keys for a second stop assuming every move is our final move. We could land Stein and then trade Oquinn for some second rounders and draft some guards. Or something else. The Melo trade could yield us a pg. We gotta look at multiple options but to me the best option is walking out of this draft with multiple players from a lottery. Could be two picks for one, could be a slightly lower pick and a player in the lottery within the last 2 yrs. Think outside the box
:thumbsup:

we should not be so fixated on one plan only; there should be multiple scenarios and we should have a well thought out response to each one.

like, what if one of the top 3 picks slides down the board. say, everyone just assumes ainge will take markelle, but what if he takes ball or josh? maybe in that case, the lakers could be enticed to trade down if lonzo is off the board.
nazrmohamed

Well also Cragg I say this cuz listening around this forum, one day everyone likes Smith at 7. The next day we like Frank, the next day we like Monk, the next day........and so on. In other words there are multiple players that many of us would be happy with at that pick. So rather than focus so much on the pick, let's focus on the fact that we could still land one of up to 4 satisfactory players and if we do it right and trade from a position of power, could also land another asset that people weren't even considering.

Shit, what if we landed pick 3 and the Kings were willing to give us picks 8&10, and then still add a WCS. Now you're talking about (if DX ends up being right) possibly walking out of a draft with Frank/Issac and Stein in one night. And that's not even including a Melo trade or your second rounders. Talk about a quick nod to the future.
cragganmor

yup, instead of best player available, go with "best deal available". the outcome should be that we wind up with a much better talent base on our roster, guys that fit.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

nazrmohamed wrote:Well also Cragg I say this cuz listening around this forum, one day everyone likes Smith at 7. The next day we like Frank, the next day we like Monk, the next day........and so on. In other words there are multiple players that many of us would be happy with at that pick. So rather than focus so much on the pick, let's focus on the fact that we could still land one of up to 4 satisfactory players and if we do it right and trade from a position of power, could also land another asset that people weren't even considering.

Shit, what if we landed pick 3 and the Kings were willing to give us picks 8&10, and then still add a WCS. Now you're talking about (if DX ends up being right) possibly walking out of a draft with Frank/Issac and Stein in one night. And that's not even including a Melo trade or your second rounders. Talk about a quick nod to the future.
I like what you guys are thinking, but I couldnt walk away from Fultz or Jackson. I think the gap between them and the DSJ/Fox/Monk/Isaac/Tatum is legitimate. That second tier of guys represents surefire future starters who will definitely contribute.... but Fultz and Jackson could be franchise players. We're in no position to be trading out of a franchise player to get role players. Maybe next summer.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
nazrmohamed

See I just don't see it. For me its:

Fultz
Ball
.Jackson and everyone else from 3-10. I don't see these multiple 20pt games. I don't see these multiple double digit rebound games. I think he's good, no doubt but Im just not seeing some other worldly stat line. In fact I see more in DSJ stat line than just about anyone besides Fultz and actually understood why he was ranked 3rd until just before the tourney. I get it, you don't make the tourney, you risk having your rank drop but I just dont see Jackson being significantly better than any lottery prospect to the point that you'd turn down any two of them. Possibly 3, if you are looking at my scenario where you're picking up a guy drafted in a lottery from a yeast or two ago
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

nazrmohamed wrote:See I just don't see it. For me its:

Fultz
Ball
.Jackson and everyone else from 3-10. I don't see these multiple 20pt games. I don't see these multiple double digit rebound games. I think he's good, no doubt but Im just not seeing some other worldly stat line. In fact I see more in DSJ stat line than just about anyone besides Fultz and actually understood why he was ranked 3rd until just before the tourney. I get it, you don't make the tourney, you risk having your rank drop but I just dont see Jackson being significantly better than any lottery prospect to the point that you'd turn down any two of them. Possibly 3, if you are looking at my scenario where you're picking up a guy drafted in a lottery from a yeast or two ago
because being arguably the best wing defender in the last 3-4 years of college basketball doesnt show up in a box score?
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
nazrmohamed

I've heard hes a good defender but I think you might be overselling that just a bit. Again, Im insomnia 3 players trying on Knicks uniforms, not 1. And youve read what I proposed. We could land a pg, a top rate wing defender and maybe a defensive C in one move.

Its just a dream even getting to top 3 so lemme not get hopes up but I just dont feel any one player in this draft mitigates the opportunity Im presenting.
Don Che

Um not a fan of any center in this draft.

Id focus on the perimeter....get as many defenders/playmakers as possible esp if he can play multiple spots on the floor.

Jacksons success is based on his ability to play the 2 as he gains weight. Josh isn't a 3 yet...neither is Tatum they will be getting bodied next year.... gotta be 225-240 to really imprint yourself at the 3 spot...hell lebron is like 260. And maybe they'd be ok if they were world class athletes but....I don't see that esp from Tatum

That's one of the reasons I question Tatum his game is purely a 3 or 4 while his weight is closer to a PG at this point.
nazrmohamed

Lol, gotta read the chain. The Center I was talking about was WCS, assuming the deal was pick 3 for the whole package ( Stein + 8 + 10).

You'll have a top rated C from the lottery only 2 years ago, there'll surely be at least 1 good point guard from 8-10, and then idk but point is I don't see any player at pick 3 that's so obviously a super star that you'd deny that deal. In fact Id expect Sacramento to turn it down.
Don Che

thats true...id consider it but i doubt they would.

I'm good with keeping it simple and taking a player you like where we pick.

i do like WCS tho esp with KP.
Don Che

If the knicks stay at 7..its pretty evident we are leaning towards the Frenchman

Steve Mills went to see his game in the last couple days. Just looking at it logically...Frank is a 6-5/6'6 guard that can spot shoot, willing passer, active defender on multiple positions who plays on a team format based on the scouting reports out on him

these are all things Phil has mentioned as priorities. Looking at Pippen/MJ/Kobe/Harper...Frank fits the mold body type wise aka a guy that can guard 1-3 and pass.

He's nowhere near the player or athlete as those guys are but he w/o a doubt fits the mold....I'd assume his wingspan is as high or higher than Pippens tho which is insane.

also one of the youngest players in the draft...so it may take time for him to pan out
cragganmor

yep, gotta be patient with the young players. i think we put down a strong foundation, build a core of young players that defend, rebound, pass and hit shots, slash enough to get easy buckets or foul shots. high octane scoring in small doses when teams get sloppy/lazy on us, we take advantage. the rest of the game we should be hotly contesting every shot.
Don Che

a) Frank/ Thornwell

b) Tatum or isaac/Josh Hart or Donovan Mitchell

c) Monk/ Wesley Iwundu

in all scenerios Mathias is a good pick up in the 2nd round

which combo would you guys build with KP/Will in mind?
Last edited by Don Che on May 6th, 2017, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.