Around the NBA 2018-19

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Around the NBA 2018-19

Postby taowave » May 13, 2019, 9:34 am

I hear you,but Kanter,Aminu and Harkless could be the worst front line in basketball..Stotts did a great job
taowave

Postby StevoStarks » May 13, 2019, 12:24 pm

Stotts also had Nurkic for most of the season so let's not forget they looked a lot like the Nuggets front line before he went down. Far from the worst.

They are BEYOND lucky to have signed Kanter as he has done admirably filling in for Nurkic.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby taowave » May 13, 2019, 1:52 pm

True,but Nurkic has been out for a while..

Kanter,Aminu,Moe are bottom tier front line talent that deliver

StevoStarks wrote:Stotts also had Nurkic for most of the season so let's not forget they looked a lot like the Nuggets front line before he went down. Far from the worst.

They are BEYOND lucky to have signed Kanter as he has done admirably filling in for Nurkic.
taowave

Postby H20Knick » May 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

aminu and moe are also both plus defenders and historically decent 3 pt shooters (admittedly moe hasn't shot well this season).

their weaknesses are that they dont rebound that well.. but as far as complimentary skillsets, they align perfectly with enes the menace
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby taowave » May 13, 2019, 3:09 pm

Both those guys are pretty pedestrian 3 PT shooters..

I'll be rooting for them,but I dont think they take more than one game against the Warriors..

H20Knick wrote:aminu and moe are also both plus defenders and historically decent 3 pt shooters (admittedly moe hasn't shot well this season).

their weaknesses are that they dont rebound that well.. but as far as complimentary skillsets, they align perfectly with enes the menace
taowave

Postby StevoStarks » May 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Battle of the backcourts. Gonna be fun.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby thewatcher » May 13, 2019, 3:50 pm

I like Brett brown but he fcked up. Enbid on the perimeter? Come on. GS gonna kill blazers. Dantoni fcked up again. No passion no ajustments, :arrow:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Koopa Troopa » May 13, 2019, 4:10 pm

H20Knick wrote:
ive been saying for years now that front lines don't matter anymore, but you all were too busy trying to build a team around kristaps porzingis to hear me

Yes and no. Nets lost vs Philly just due to their weakness in the front court outside of Jarrett Allen. Philly just dominated them inside and on the glass. Nuggets shoulda kept going to Jokic in the post, he was cooking Kanter.

And for what its worth, Kanter's offensive rebounding really helped Portland despite his defensive flaws.
Koopa Troopa

Postby H20Knick » May 13, 2019, 4:35 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:
Yes and no. Nets lost vs Philly just due to their weakness in the front court outside of Jarrett Allen. Philly just dominated them inside and on the glass. Nuggets shoulda kept going to Jokic in the post, he was cooking Kanter.

And for what its worth, Kanter's offensive rebounding really helped Portland despite his defensive flaws.

the nets dont dont have elite guards either though. If Embiid hadn't beaten them, Butler would've beaten them. No one on that team was going to stop simmons from dunking all over the place either.

warriors/blazers/bucks/raptors... how many all star guards/wings? how many all star bigs?

the 2 best warriors... a guard and a wing
the 2 best blazers... 2 guards
the 2 best bucks... a guard and a wing
the 2 best raptors... a guard and a wing

LeTs bUiLd ArOuNd a 7'3 gUy BeCaUsE wE dRaFtEd HiM aNd He CaN sHoOt 3s

heck the last time a big was one of the best 2 players on a finals team, it was Dirk eight years ago.

H20Knick

Postby Koopa Troopa » May 13, 2019, 5:22 pm

I get what you're saying. BUT Nuggets were pretty damn close to the WCF building around Jokic. Houston being a two guard show always is a failure for them. :? Philly was one shot away from Embiid being there too. The narrative fits, but were talking Philly and Denver that lost in 7 games. They win and now you have 2 elite Centers in the final 4.

And Id argue the Nets were outplaying the Sixers in the backcourt by a ton. Gimme Dinwiddie, Levert, Harris, Russell over whatever 4 Philly has. If the Nets had better big men and a solid SF they woulda took that to 7 games. They actually got destroyed by that giant Boban just by having him exist.

All the teams that are winning have something good going on in the frontlines. You arent skating by with 0 rim protection and shitty rebounding. Big men who can shoot is also really helping with spacing. Someone like Ibaka is super valuable. Look at Lopez keeping the bigs out of the paint for Giannis.

And speaking of him....for all intents and purposes, based on the amount of paint scoring Giannis does, he can be considered a big. :? :hmm:
Last edited by Koopa Troopa on May 13, 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koopa Troopa

Postby H20Knick » May 13, 2019, 5:31 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:I get what you're saying. BUT Nuggets were pretty damn close to the WCF building around Jokic. Houston being a two guard show always is a failure for them.

And Id argue the Nets were outplaying the Sixers in the backcourt by a ton. Gimme Dinwiddie, Levert, Harris, Russell over whatever 4 Philly has. If the Nets had better big men and a solid SF they woulda took that to 7 games.

All the teams that are winning have something good going on in the frontlines. You arent skating by with 0 rim protection and shitty rebounding.

fair fair, but if ben simmons could shoot at alllll, they could've beaten the raps.
i agree you need rim protection and rebounding, but im saying you don't need a big name player to do that.

i also feel like the nugs would've survived the warriors 4-1 AT BEST lol.

the cp3/griffin/deandre team is really what made me come down to this conclusion. That team never even sniffed a title. Im also scarred by melo/amare/tyson taking up the entire salary cap and leaving us with shit guards.

H20Knick

Postby Koopa Troopa » May 13, 2019, 5:39 pm

Think a lot of it just has to do with the current crop of talent. Big's might come back. Were starting to see it with Embiid, Davis, Jokic. Its just so much easier to find an elite guard rather than elite 7 footer just due to how humanity works. Not that many 7 footers walking the planet. :?

Think with how the level of skill overall has risen, easily available resources for improving your game, the level of competition etc due to the growth of bball....bigs will never truly be the strongest position in the NBA ever again. :hmm:
Koopa Troopa

Postby taowave » May 14, 2019, 3:19 pm

Nuggets get Michael Porter Jr next year...

H20Knick wrote:
fair fair, but if ben simmons could shoot at alllll, they could've beaten the raps.
i agree you need rim protection and rebounding, but im saying you don't need a big name player to do that.

i also feel like the nugs would've survived the warriors 4-1 AT BEST lol.

the cp3/griffin/deandre team is really what made me come down to this conclusion. That team never even sniffed a title. Im also scarred by melo/amare/tyson taking up the entire salary cap and leaving us with shit guards.
taowave

Postby Greenie » May 16, 2019, 1:29 pm

I guess the Splash Bro’s aren’t washed, bum, role players...
Greenie

Postby StevoStarks » May 16, 2019, 2:09 pm

Greenie wrote:I guess the Splash Bro’s aren’t washed, bum, role players...

They arguably play better as individuals without Durant.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby taowave » May 16, 2019, 2:22 pm

Milwaukee is the only team with a shot against GS
taowave

Postby thewatcher » May 16, 2019, 2:40 pm

Yup. Kanter was good against the earlier opponents, against GS he's a total liability.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Koopa Troopa » May 16, 2019, 4:16 pm

taowave wrote:Milwaukee is the only team with a shot against GS

Raptors unfortunately match up pretty well with Milwaukee... Really pulling for the Bucks. Only 1 game so far but Toronto played pretty damn well and still lost while Milwaukee couldnt buy a bucket for 3 quarters. Gonna be a really interesting series.
Koopa Troopa

Postby taowave » May 16, 2019, 5:35 pm

I had no idea that Milwaukee was the number 2 team at 3 PT attempts at 39 per..
taowave

Postby H20Knick » May 16, 2019, 11:30 pm

the warriors are so entertaining without KD

H20Knick

PreviousNext

Return to NBA