2017 NBA free agency thread

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2017 NBA free agency thread

Postby shakespeare » July 5, 2017, 7:19 pm

spree#8 wrote:Hayward's player tribune post: https://theplayerstribune.com/gordon-ha ... gency-nba/

A good read.

AGREED.

Thanks for posting.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » July 5, 2017, 7:40 pm

shakespeare wrote:New York never presented an offer sheet to Otto Porter?

We suck.

Youd max out a guy who scores 15pts? And I get market value, rising cap and all that nonsense justification but a teams best player should make the most money if you're doing things right, period. Im halt the Nets blew thier cap on him or forced the Wiz to do the same. And I like Otto but cmon.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 5, 2017, 7:59 pm

Story: Los Angeles Lakers made a 1-year, $17 million offer to Dion Waiters, a league source told Basketball Insiders https://t.co/1pU1J6Ao0a
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 5, 2017, 10:39 pm

Andre Roberson has agreed to a new three-year, $30M deal with Oklahoma City, league sources tell ESPN.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby shakespeare » July 6, 2017, 9:19 am

nazrmohamed wrote:
You'd max out a guy who scores 15pts?

Yes. You've posed a strong argument, but yes. I'll explain.

1) No scorer currently among the league leaders are signing with New York
2) So, we need to focus on the second-tier players
3) While he (Otto) may never become among the league leaders in scoring, I can't say beyond a reasonable doubt that he's not capable of doing as much. Wall and Beal don't lend too much towards anyone else being a "scorer."
4) There are no Walls nor Beals on New York's current roster
5) If we signed Otto, a two-way player, he becomes our best perimeter defender
6) If Ntili blossoms as a defender, then our core will consist of solid defensive players in Ntili, Porzingis, and Porter. Hernangomez is a strong rebounder, so that's also a form of defense
7) At the same time, there will be more scoring opportunities for Porter in New York
8) If he becomes a 20ppg scorer, then we can look at the contracts of the league's scoring leaders versus Otto's contract in scoring and realize that signing him was a mini-max was/is the type of decisions New York should continue to make in the future to improve our basketball team
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » July 6, 2017, 9:21 am

nazrmohamed wrote:
You'd max out a guy who scores 15pts?

Yes. You've posed a strong argument, but yes. I'll explain.

1) No scorer currently among the league leaders are signing with New York
2) So, we need to focus on the second-tier players
3) While he (Otto) may never become among the league leaders in scoring, I can't say beyond a reasonable doubt that he's not capable of doing as much. Wall and Beal don't lend too much towards anyone else being a "scorer."
4) There are no Walls nor Beals on New York's current roster
5) If we signed Otto, a two-way player, he becomes our best perimeter defender
6) If Ntili blossoms as a defender, then our core will consist of solid defensive players in Ntili, Porzingis, and Porter. Hernangomez is a strong rebounder, so that's also a form of defense
7) At the same time, there will be more scoring opportunities for Porter in New York
8) If he becomes a 20ppg scorer, then we can look at the contracts of the league's scoring leaders versus Otto's contract and scoring and realize that signing him was a mini-max was/is the type of decisions New York should continue to make in the future to improve our basketball team
shakespeare
Writer

Postby H20Knick » July 6, 2017, 11:38 am

I'm with nazr on this. Porter isn't worth that. Theres a reason Wall was saying they were one piece away from being contenders and singled at Porter's position as the weak link. Porter isn't an elite defender (i.e. he's not a guy you put on Kawhi/LBJ/KD). He's got the same Crowder syndrome where you look at them and think they're probably starting because they're top notch defenders and then you watch them play and you pause and scratch your head. They're not bad defenders. They're above average defenders, which isn't good enough considering that they dont really do much else but hit open shots when they're given to them.

I like Otto. I, too, considered maxing him during the season. But after watching the playoffs and talking with people about the state of the wizards, I can't endorse him here. And as Don and I mentioned elsewhere, Oubre could end up being as good, if not better, for way cheaper. The Wizards will likely match, and the knicks didn't need to spend a week with their cap space tied up to spend 100 mil on a 3 and d role player.

Its easy to look at Wall and Beal and say that Porter's numbers would go up in the absence of those two guys taking shots... but Porter's numbers would go down. He's assisted on a whopping 77% of his scores. His entire offensive game is called "run around in circles until Beal or Wall break down the D and feed him the ball". We don't have those kinds of offensive maestros on this team. Having two backcourt players that can create, run an offense, and are high level scoring threats is something extremely rare in the league. Porter lives off that. He won't find it here.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Koopa Troopa » July 6, 2017, 3:48 pm

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Andre Roberson has agreed to a new three-year, $30M deal with Oklahoma City, league sources tell ESPN.

OKC management is godawful. Roberson isnt really worth anything but OK. :?

Throughout all those years they never got any good players. No surprise KD left. Westbrooks leaving next.
Koopa Troopa

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2017, 7:18 pm

Washington has received Otto Porter's $106M offer sheet from Brooklyn, league source tells ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2017, 7:46 pm

Free agent Kelly Olynyk has agreed to a four-year, $50M-plus deal with the Miami Heat, agent Greg Lawrence tells ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2017, 7:54 pm

Sources: The Mavs and Heat have had discussions about a deal that would clear some salary cap space for Miami.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2017, 8:03 pm

Sources: Miami has been working on a Josh McRoberts salary dump to Miami to clear space, league sources tell ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2017, 8:15 pm

Free agent forward Rudy Gay has agreed to a two year deal with the Spurs, league sourcs tell ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2017, 8:28 pm

Free agent Vince Carter has agreed to a one-year, $8M deal with Sacramento, agents Kurt Schoeppler and Jim Tanner tell ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby n8 the gr8 » July 6, 2017, 8:55 pm

Gay to Spurs is interesting. He and Kawhi would be good alongside each other.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2017, 8:56 pm

Free agent James Johnson has agreed to the framework of a four-year deal to stay with the Miami Heat, league sources tell ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby shakespeare » July 7, 2017, 8:45 am

H20,

We're talking about the Knickerbockers.

I can't name the last time we've signed a player to a mega deal that was actually worth the money.

We're trying to give THJ $18 million per season, for crying out loud. I've no problem giving Otto a few extra dollars per season instead of signing THJ, who appears to be coming into his own in the league as a [drumroll, please] second-tier player.

I could be wrong, but we're still paying Larry Brown millions of dollars. Add Phil Jackson to the list. We gave Melo $124 million and never made the playoffs. We gave non-medically cleared Amare $100 million.

Otto isn't lockdown, but he plays defense. He scores. He's a young player. Harrison Barnes received the mini-max, if I'm not mistaken. Otto is worth the mini-max especially in New York, cause we cannot sign top-tier players.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » July 7, 2017, 9:07 am

H20Knick wrote: 100 mil on a 3 and d role player.

Harrison Barnes averaged 11ppg the season before he signed a similar offer with Dallas. Last season, he averaged almost 20ppg. Dallas didn't offer Barnes the money based on Stephen Curry believing he wasn't much of a player or worth the contract. They signed him to play a bigger role in Dallas.

For all the Otto criticism, tell me the last time New York signed a free agent that's younger [24 years] and better [two-way player] than him?

Again, these are the Knickerbockers we're talking about.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 7, 2017, 12:18 pm

July 7, 2017 – The New York Knickerbockers announced today that the team has waived center Marshall Plumlee. https://t.co/RH1EFtmfD8
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 7, 2017, 1:04 pm

Free agent forward Mike Muscala has agreed to a two-year, $10M deal to stay with the Atlanta Hawks, league sources tell The Vertical.
Boston_PuppyDawg

PreviousNext

Return to NBA