Five leading candidates for Rookie of the Year

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Who'll win ROY?

Ball
11%
Fultz
No votes
Smith
22%
Simmons
33%
Jackson
No votes
Fox
No votes
Tatum
33%
Ntilikina
No votes
other
No votes

Total votes: 9
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

1) Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers. He sat out last season due to injury, but like Blake Griffin he qualifies to win the award this season — and he should be the favorite. He is a 6’10” point forward who will have the ball in his hands and has shown through the preseason that he is a gifted passer who with his height can see and make dishes others can’t. Plus, he’s got shooters like J.J. Redick around him now to open things up and collect him dimes. If he (and Joel Embiid) can stay healthy and the Sixers start to look like a playoff team in the East with Simmons racking up 7ish assists a night, Simmons could be hard to beat. Will he put up much in terms of scoring numbers, however?

2) Lonzo Ball, Los Angeles Lakers. His ROY case will be as much about culture change as raw numbers — the Lonzo Ball effect is real. He pushes the ball ahead and finds the open man, and the result is the rest of the players — bigs in particular — run the floor, and everybody starts to share the rock. If Ball can help change the Lakers into the kind of team Luke Walton dreamed about, he will get serious ROY consideration. He will put up assist numbers, but will he score enough to keep defenses honest (and have the numbers to win the award)?

3) Dennis Smith Jr., Dallas Mavericks. He slid down the draft board last June, then came out in July at Summer League and blew everyone away with his explosiveness. He’s going to put up scoring numbers as a shoot-first point guard with the ball in his hands in Dallas — they think he can be special and he’s going to get a lot of rope. His efficiency will be an issue, he has to improve there. Dallas has other talented scorers — Dirk Nowitzki, Harrison Barnes — that Smith has to develop some chemistry with, Smith has to show he can be a floor general, too. Still, he will have a very legitimate shot at ROY.

4) Markelle Fultz, Philadelphia 76ers. The No. 1 pick with the all-around game is going to be playing off the ball more for the Sixers — Simmons will often have the rock — but he’s going to get a lot of run and opportunity. It’s a little concerning that he is shooting less than 30 percent in the preseason, he’s going to have to figure out how to fit his game into the NBA, but he’s got all the tools to do it. Just give him time, watch him improve as the season wears on.

5) Josh Jackson, Phoenix Suns. Incredibly athletic (and the guy NBA GMs picked to be the best in this class in five years), he will run on the wing next to Devin Booker, with Eric Bledsoe feeding them (for now) and he should be able to get some buckets basked on that. Part of Jackson’s case is that he should be the best defender of this rookie group and the Suns will test him on that end. Another player who is going to get a lot of minutes and a lot of chances.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/10/11/fiv ... -the-year/
This current crop of rookies is so good that all are strong candidates for the award, especially Simmons who qualifies as a rook. If the 6ers make the playoffs, then it'll be in large part to contributions from Simmons and Fultz. So both are good choices. The same can be said for Dennis Smith, to a lesser degree.

Kings' Fox and Celtics' Tatum aren't on this particular list, which shows the type of talent of the '17 draft class.
#TeamTank
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

i watched ben simmons the other day....

unreal.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
rebound
Likes given: 1103

teodosic has my vote atm.

could be simmons if embid carries the sixers to victories.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

DSJ did 16 and 10 in the Mavs opener
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Ball 29 pts 11 rebs 9 assist vs Sun s
Fxck Adam Silver
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

Ball's pull up mid-range game reminds me of George Gervin, really impressive.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
shakespeare

Lonzo Ball did the damn thang. I actually disregarded his horrible performance the other night against Patrick Beverley, cause a First-Team All-Defensive player is supposed to do as much to a rookie, certainly in his debut.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Mavs' Smith misses game with knee swelling http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/10/21/mav ... lling/amp/
This is why I was afraid of New York drafting Smith.
#TeamTank
rebound
Likes given: 1103

seems like simmons or ball.
leaning towards ball as lakers will get better with KCP and sixers arent delivering on the hype.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
shakespeare

Kings' rookie Fox has also played well this far, averaging 13, 5, 5 while shooting 46% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc. His learning curve bodes well coming off the bench in favor of a solid veteran George Hill.
#TeamTank
ISIAH_THOMAS

Simmons is truly on another level
Fxck Adam Silver
shakespeare

Hard to believe these rookies ala Ball and Simmons are entering the league putting up triple doubles or near triple doubles in no time at all.
#TeamTank
ISIAH_THOMAS

As long as he stays healthy simmons is going to win in a landslide. looking like a young lebron
Fxck Adam Silver
shakespeare

Fultz out indefinitely with shoulder injury https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.co ... definitely
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Monk scored 18 of his twenty five points in the 4th quarter of Hornets win over Bucks.

Also, Ben Simmons is on a whole 'nother level.
#TeamTank
Koopa Troopa

shakespeare wrote:Monk scored 18 of his twenty five points in the 4th quarter of Hornets win over Bucks.

Also, Ben Simmons is on a whole 'nother level.
Ya know.... I would say this sucks but at least Frank isnt bad. I mean.....just because Frank's ceiling is Chicago Bulls Ron Harper doesnt mean I should be upset about Monk right?

:? :blink: :-o
shakespeare

I can see the versatility of Ron Harper in Ntili. At the end of last season, I wished we'd positioned ourselves better for the opportunity to draft De'Aaron Fox.

I wanted Monk at 8th, though.
#TeamTank
ISIAH_THOMAS

Donovan Mitchell kept it going again on Friday with 25 points, three rebounds, two steals, two blocks and three 3-pointers in 32 minutes against the Raptors.
Summer League Mitchell has arrived. Over his last four, Mitchell has averaged 20.8 points, 3.3 boards, 1.5 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.5 blocks and 3.0 treys on a 59.0 TS%
Fxck Adam Silver
shakespeare

D'Aaron Fox hit the game-winning shot against Philadelphia.
#TeamTank
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

shakespeare wrote:I can see the versatility of Ron Harper in Ntili. At the end of last season, I wished we'd positioned ourselves better for the opportunity to draft De'Aaron Fox.

I wanted Monk at 8th, though.
shakespeare wrote:D'Aaron Fox hit the game-winning shot against Philadelphia.
I'm happy with Frank but I would have been very on board with Fox.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde