Around the NBA 2017-18

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby shakespeare » December 18, 2017, 1:22 pm

Harden was good, but I agree he's turned it up a notch.

Outside of individual postseason awards, it won't mean anything though unless he keeps his foot on the pedestal, come playoff time.

There's a rumor floating around the league that LeBron is headed to Houston. I'll believe it when I see it.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 20, 2017, 6:01 pm

shakespeare wrote:Harden was good, but I agree he's turned it up a notch.

Outside of individual postseason awards, it won't mean anything though unless he keeps his foot on the pedestal, come playoff time.

There's a rumor floating around the league that LeBron is headed to Houston. I'll believe it when I see it.



Well its the crews last chance to team up. Melo can opt out too. Get Bron and Melo and maybe even D Wade. All these guys are best friends and wanted this forever. Wouldnt be that surprised to see them want to ride out the end of their careers together.
User avatar
Koopa Troopa
 
Joined: June 28, 2003, 9:01 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby dcapodic » December 21, 2017, 10:04 am

shakespeare wrote:Harden was good, but I agree he's turned it up a notch.

Outside of individual postseason awards, it won't mean anything though unless he keeps his foot on the pedestal, come playoff time.

There's a rumor floating around the league that LeBron is headed to Houston. I'll believe it when I see it.


Great post shakes. Interesting on how you touch on two of the more interesting arguments:

Outside of individual postseason awards, it won't mean anything though unless he keeps his foot on the pedestal, come playoff time.


There have been many great players that did not win championships, including one admired quite a bit around these parts, Ewing. Yet, people will say you can't be "great" unless you win championships.

There's a rumor floating around the league that LeBron is headed to Houston. I'll believe it when I see it.


To all the people that call MD a chump....if Lebron did go there with "pals" and they won 3 out of the next 4 championships to throw on his already impressive accomplishments (coach of the year awards, etc.) would that then make him one of the greatest coaches of our time? The main thing that is brought up against him during discussions is his lack of championships.

So, he would go from chump to champ simply by a decision from Lebron. Not sure anyone's career should be judged like that but if you added a couple of 'ships to his resume I am not sure anyone could ever argue against him again.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 10:38 pm

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 21, 2017, 7:13 pm

dcapodic wrote:To all the people that call MD a chump....if Lebron did go there with "pals" and they won 3 out of the next 4 championships to throw on his already impressive accomplishments (coach of the year awards, etc.) would that then make him one of the greatest coaches of our time? The main thing that is brought up against him during discussions is his lack of championships.

So, he would go from chump to champ simply by a decision from Lebron. Not sure anyone's career should be judged like that but if you added a couple of 'ships to his resume I am not sure anyone could ever argue against him again.



I dont think thats fair. I think Mike D learned from his past. Mike D of 2017 wouldnt let Marbury rot on the bench for example. The guy has grown. Give him credit for that, but dont excuse him for his failures here.
User avatar
Koopa Troopa
 
Joined: June 28, 2003, 9:01 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby dcapodic » December 22, 2017, 1:10 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:]


I dont think thats fair. I think Mike D learned from his past. Mike D of 2017 wouldnt let Marbury rot on the bench for example. The guy has grown. Give him credit for that, but dont excuse him for his failures here.


I think your opinion is fair koop, I just don't agree :) MD had extensive experience before he ever came to the Knicks and given the same set of circumstances might do the same today. It's not like I have seen any change in his coaching philosophy or his handling or other players since.

But I get where you are coming from. It is just many will not even acknowledge his abilities and accomplishments for silly reasons. Yours is not silly at all and I acknowledge that.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 10:38 pm

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 26, 2017, 5:14 pm

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/gary- ... s-oakland/

Reading this excellent article by GP the other day and it made me wonder about the current NBA. The way GP got molded by the vets on his franchise, and how other teams treated him sounds way different to how it is in the modern times.
User avatar
Koopa Troopa
 
Joined: June 28, 2003, 9:01 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby dcapodic » December 27, 2017, 9:53 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/gary-payton-supersonics-oakland/

Reading this excellent article by GP the other day and it made me wonder about the current NBA. The way GP got molded by the vets on his franchise, and how other teams treated him sounds way different to how it is in the modern times.


Thanks for posting the link, koop. God read. You are right, it is a different era, in and out of the league. Not too much tough love around, more the "hand holding, let's work it out and experience the journey together" type and everyone gets a trophy leagues.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 10:38 pm

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby shakespeare » December 28, 2017, 7:49 am

spree#8 wrote:A good read on the Thunder (and why they shouldn't panic): https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... e-fixable/


You said it.

Don't look now, but here comes OKC.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby taowave » December 29, 2017, 12:59 pm

Melo is a completely different player,and Russ is back to being Russ..

Interestingly, they are a really good defensive squad
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 8:54 pm

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby shakespeare » December 30, 2017, 9:06 am

Did anyone see Westbrook's dunk on Thon Maker?

Nasty.

https://youtu.be/ZrtJlNmCxds
The Porzingis blessing is real.
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby taowave » January 9, 2018, 12:27 pm

WestBrook is NASTY...

Hes got that one handed dunk thing taking no prisoners

On another note,that Spencer Dinwiddie on the Nets is pretty dam good



shakespeare wrote:Did anyone see Westbrook's dunk on Thon Maker?

Nasty.

https://youtu.be/ZrtJlNmCxds
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 8:54 pm

Previous

Return to NBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests