Jahlil Okafor finally free traded to the Nets

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Jahlil Okafor finally free traded to the Nets

Postby Don Che » December 7, 2017, 4:33 pm

if the price was Trevor Booker......im pissed BUT.....get ready Spree lets see if hes worse than willy by the end of this year.

2 bigs that will cause us problems in our division
Don Che

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » December 7, 2017, 4:49 pm

Philly will send Okafor, Nik Stauskas, and a second-round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker, sources say.

That second rounder is our pick
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby thewatcher » December 7, 2017, 4:56 pm

Who's Booker? Glad for okafor and Nets. I do pay for the Yes network....
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » December 7, 2017, 5:11 pm

Booker is a decent player and a big behind embiid. Avg 10 pts and 7 reb in 21 minutes. Adds a roation player for them
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby Don Che » December 7, 2017, 5:16 pm

Trevor...solid vet..blue collor guy..believe he went to clemson
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » December 7, 2017, 5:17 pm

Don Che wrote:if the price was Trevor Booker......im pissed BUT.....get ready Spree lets see if hes worse than willy by the end of this year.

2 bigs that will cause us problems in our division

I never said that. I said that we shouldn't trade Willy for Okafor because of Willy's value for just a few guaranteed bucks for two more years after this is higher for us and because we have Kanter as a starter. :?

I also said that Okafor needs to get into a situation where he can start, so I'm happy for him that the Nets pick him up. Another solid move for them. The second high lottery pick they were able to acquire out of a draft where they hadn't their own...

The value is also as low as reported (Booker and our 2019 second--rounder via Philly).
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby big_j_NY » December 7, 2017, 5:48 pm

OH MY GOD, ONE OF MY NBA 2K18 MYLEAGUE TRADES FINALLY CAME TRUE :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, the association mode save file in my NBA 2K18 game had the CPU trading Jahlil Okafor from Philly to Brooklyn
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby taowave » December 7, 2017, 7:23 pm

Makes total sense for the Nets..My money was on the Nets,with the Spurs and Cavs right behind..

Nets now have the second and third picks of the draft
taowave

Postby nazrmohamed » December 7, 2017, 9:01 pm

This trade further illustrates why the Nets are ruin better than the Knicks. Cue the Okofor ain't shit responses but consider this. 4 years ago the Nets made a horrible mistake. A mistake that was actually very Knick like. They traded multiple 1st rounders in an attempt to contend with older, past prime players. In our attempt to win this year I go to bed every night wondering if I'll wake up to us doing the same..... cuz that's just what we do.

It failed for the Nets, badly. They reassessed, said to themselves....we got no assets. Somehow they've turned nothing into a slow and steady restock of picks each year. Do they have those lottery picks? Nope, but guess what? They still acquired late first rounders, no doubt nowhere as good as they would've picked but didn't walk away empty handed. What else did they do? They turned bums into two players picked in the top 5 of the lottery only 2 yrs ago.

Even if you say that from an individual perspective you hate Russell and Okofor at the end of the day the Nets turned garbage into hope. They got younger and more talented.

The Knicks on the other hand refuse to turn slightly productive players into draft picks, nor do they trade older players for younger ones.... besides Carmelo which was obvious, not crafty. Crafty is something the Knicks can never be associated with. I wouldn't even say they make the obvious moves cuz most franchises would obviously look at a year where they trade their francise player as a year to sell off assets and rebuild fully. But you know, the Knicks always gotta sell thier fake hustle, thier fake contention only to come up short. Drafting the one pick you have isn't crafty, especially when you're doing everything in your power to end up drafting 18 instead of 1-7.

I don't bash the players. In a bubble I'm proud of them. But management needs to end this charade and have us win the only playoff we actually have a chance at..... the lottery. Or at the very least be looking for sly moves like this to swap productive veterans who probably won't even be here in 2 years for young, rookie contact players who might be here in 8
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby spree#8 » December 7, 2017, 10:15 pm

spree#8 wrote:
The value is also as low as reported (Booker and our 2019 second--rounder via Philly).

Funny thing: our pick belonged to Philly as I wrote, but is obviously going the other way in this trade. So Philly had to send out a second-rounder in addition to Okafor to be able to trade him. Yikes!
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » December 7, 2017, 10:23 pm

Some analysis. http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... r-deal-nba
Brooklyn Nets: B
Brooklyn always stood out as a logical Okafor destination.

The Nets have one of the league's weakest center rotations, with only rookie Jarrett Allen as a potential long-term option at the position. Timofey Mozgov, whose contract was part of the price of getting D'Angelo Russell, has seen action in just two games since November 14. Tyler Zeller, signed for the veteran's minimum as a free agent over the summer, has started seven games at center.

Though he's played well offensively, Zeller shouldn't prevent Okafor from getting minutes in Brooklyn. So now the question is whether Okafor can make good on his second chance.

Doing so will require improvement on offense. Yes, you read that correctly. All the focus on Okafor's defensive shortcomings -- and they're significant ones -- has overshadowed the fact that so far during his NBA career he's rated worse at the offensive end of the floor, even after one accounts for the fact that centers are typically more valuable on defense than offense.

Take ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM). While Okafor ranked 67th among centers in defensive RPM (minus-1.3) last season, he was 69th -- dead last -- with a minus-4.4 offensive RPM. Last year, the 76ers scored 7.7 fewer points per 100 possessions with Okafor on the court, according to NBA.com/Stats.

While that can be explained by Okafor rarely sharing time with Joel Embiid, the Philadelphia offense was similarly worse with Okafor in 2015-16 (minus-7.6 points per 100 possessions) despite the weaker offensive alternatives at center. That partially owed to lineups with Okafor playing alongside Nerlens Noel, but with just Noel on the court the 76ers' offensive rating was 3.2 points better than with Okafor alone.

How can this be, given Okafor's reputation as a dominant offensive player? Well, for one thing, he hasn't been particularly efficient. Because Okafor hasn't been the same kind of high-percentage finisher he was as a college player (he shot 66.4 percent on 2-point attempts at Duke), and because he's a sub-70 percent foul shooter, his true shooting percentage has hovered right around league average during two NBA seasons.

Still, average-ish efficiency with above-average volume (Okafor's usage rate in his first two seasons was 27.3 percent of Philadelphia's plays as a rookie and 24.1 percent in year 2) should ordinarily translate into above-average value, so that's an incomplete explanation. The greater issue seems to be Okafor's limited playmaking for teammates. His 2.2 assists per 100 team plays last season were sixth lowest among players with usage rates greater than 22 percent.

It's possible for such a player to have value offensively, but typically only as a high-efficiency scorer. Enes Kanter of the crosstown New York Knicks is the model the Nets should hope to emulate with Okafor. After scoring with mixed efficiency during three-plus years playing for the Utah Jazz, Kanter became a high-percentage scorer with the Oklahoma City Thunder and has maintained that since his trade to the Knicks.

Like Kanter after the trade to Oklahoma City, Okafor will enjoy the best floor spacing he's ever seen in Brooklyn. However, Okafor doesn't benefit from as many of the easy scores on putbacks that Kanter got throughout his career. And even playing with a stretch big didn't seem to help Okafor's efficiency much with the 76ers; his true shooting percentage improved only to .552 when Philadelphia's other centers and non-shooter Jerami Grant were off the court, via NBAwowy.com.

Because the Sixers declined the fourth-year option on Okafor's rookie contract, the Nets will be in a tough spot if they can turn him into a contributor. Okafor will be an unrestricted free agent next summer and Brooklyn cannot offer him a starting salary of greater than $6.3 million, the value of the declined option year.

Of course, the structure of this trade - with the Nets getting a pick rather than giving one up -- suggests the Nets may be more interested in getting the second-round pick, which should probably be expected to fall near the middle of the round in 2019.

Pelton forgets to say that for Okafor becoming like Kanter - which he is right on should be a model Okafor should look at - he has to start rebounding. Okafor has to find that second skill besides being a low-post scorer to become more valuable. The Nets are a good spot for him to try that.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » December 7, 2017, 10:30 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:...

The Knicks on the other hand refuse to turn slightly productive players into draft picks, nor do they trade older players for younger ones....

Who has ever offered us a draft pick for whom? :? You are in conspiracy land here.

But anyways: the Nets aren't run better than the Knicks. They just take gambles that make sense for them, while the same gambles don't make as much sense for us. We don't need Okafor, while they might. It's as simple as that.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby nazrmohamed » December 8, 2017, 6:45 am

Teams that want to rebuild for all intents and purposes announce that everyone is for sale Spree. You can't tell me there's a similarity between what we're doing and what a rebuilding team does.

But then again the Knicks always do things differently, don't they. Again, it's about Okofor but it's not. It could be someone else. Maybe it's a wing. But the KNICKS should be looking for these types of deals. Instead we're fighting for the 9th spot in the east.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » December 8, 2017, 8:08 am

I like the moves the Nets have made post King..
How they got Philly to trow in a second rounder is beyond me.

Hard to believe Russel and Okafor went 2 and 3 and now they are Nets.

So much for top 5 picks :)

Stauskas was the number 8 pick.

Sorry Spree,New Net management looks to be superior to ours

spree#8 wrote:
Who has ever offered us a draft pick for whom? :? You are in conspiracy land here.

But anyways: the Nets aren't run better than the Knicks. They just take gambles that make sense for them, while the same gambles don't make as much sense for us. We don't need Okafor, while they might. It's as simple as that.
taowave

Postby Championship 16/17 » December 8, 2017, 9:59 am

I posted this 1 Nov

Not if you flip it, the Knicks could trade Kanter for Jahil Okafor and filler Amir Johnson. Kanter would go back to being a sixth man role and would not opt out, Sixers keep for one more year bc who us going to pay 18 mil for a bench player. He would stay just for the financial side of things. We get Okafor, who probably has more offensive moves in the post than Kanter, he is from the same draft as KP (21 years old), can't be worse defensively, and is probably a better rebounder. The Sixers didn't t pick up his option and is looking to trade him. We could waive Amir and resign Okafor for 8-10 million bc the Sixers cant give him away bc of this notion that post players are no longer needed. If Kanter opts out like you said, he will get at least 14 mil and higher. We save money, we get even get younger, and Okafor would be a much better player at 25 than Kanter is now at 25. Okafor would have to work on his shot, something that Kanter can do now, but it's not being seen in the offense. Kanter presence as a post player at center is opening team eyes, most teams are going away from the post, but recently he is looking good next to KP. You supplement Okafor for Kanter, could be an even better combination.

......and I guess the Nets were paying attention about having a post player. Also a lot of people on this forum thought Okafor was a bust. Watch what he does to the knicks in the center match ups.

Lastly, I said the Nets would not be a top 5 worse team in the league at the beginning of the season, most doubted that. Even with key injuries to both their PG, they will not finish in the top 5 and the Cavs will not, I repeat will not have a top 5 pick in next year's draft. It was obvious to me that the Nets turned the corner, now everyone is just catching up on their potential. If they manage to get another younger player with potential their outlook will start looking better than ours, pretty scary.
Championship 16/17

Postby nazrmohamed » December 8, 2017, 11:09 am

^^^^exactly. Again, for me it's less about Okofor in a bubble but rather the strategy the Nets have employed to turn the bleakest situation of no picks into a series of picks or players picked in the lottery within the last 3 years.

And I feel like the Knicks are just happy to stand pat, pick 18 and go after free agents we always overpay cuz a little home court overachieving got to our head.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby spree#8 » December 8, 2017, 12:38 pm

taowave wrote:I like the moves the Nets have made post King..
How they got Philly to trow in a second rounder is beyond me.

Hard to believe Russel and Okafor went 2 and 3 and now they are Nets.

So much for top 5 picks :)

Stauskas was the number 8 pick.

Sorry Spree,New Net management looks to be superior to ours

They got a second rounder (surprisingly indeed), because Okafor can walk at the end of the year. He is unrestricted and the Nets are limited to offer anything up to the 4th year option salary the 76ers declined, while other teams can offer whatever they want.

Mentioning Stauskas (who hasn't done shit) is a joke, right?
But if you want to count lottery picks: KP #4, Kanter #3, Ntilikina #8, McDermott #11, Beasley #2, Noah #9, 2018 lottery pick in hand. To the Nets: Russell #2, Okafor #3, Stauskas #8. Woohoo. We look so bad...

KP is better than Russell, Kanter better than Okafor. Ntilikina, McDermott and our 2018 lottery pick are better than no 2018 lottery pick. So I like our team better now and I like our chances for the future better. But if you wanna be a Nets fan, let their management look better than ours in your eyes.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » December 8, 2017, 2:25 pm

We have to start post KP... Otherwise,we have to throw your boy Noah into the equation.

Frank,Kanter,Doug, Baker,Beasly, Jack,Sessions and Hardaway

Vs

Okafor, Russel,Levert and whatever other bums the Nets got.

spree#8 wrote:
They got a second rounder (surprisingly indeed), because Okafor can walk at the end of the year. He is unrestricted and the Nets are limited to offer anything up to the 4th year option salary the 76ers declined, while other teams can offer whatever they want.

Mentioning Stauskas (who hasn't done shit) is a joke, right?
But if you want to count lottery picks: KP #4, Kanter #3, Ntilikina #8, McDermott #11, Beasley #2, Noah #9, 2018 lottery pick in hand. To the Nets: Russell #2, Okafor #3, Stauskas #8. Woohoo. We look so bad...

KP is better than Russell, Kanter better than Okafor. Ntilikina, McDermott and our 2018 lottery pick are better than no 2018 lottery pick. So I like our team better now and I like our chances for the future better. But if you wanna be a Nets fan, let their management look better than ours in your eyes.
taowave

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 8, 2017, 2:47 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:This trade further illustrates why the Nets are ruin better than the Knicks. Cue the Okofor ain't shit responses but consider this. 4 years ago the Nets made a horrible mistake. A mistake that was actually very Knick like. They traded multiple 1st rounders in an attempt to contend with older, past prime players. In our attempt to win this year I go to bed every night wondering if I'll wake up to us doing the same..... cuz that's just what we do.

It failed for the Nets, badly. They reassessed, said to themselves....we got no assets. Somehow they've turned nothing into a slow and steady restock of picks each year. Do they have those lottery picks? Nope, but guess what? They still acquired late first rounders, no doubt nowhere as good as they would've picked but didn't walk away empty handed. What else did they do? They turned bums into two players picked in the top 5 of the lottery only 2 yrs ago.

Even if you say that from an individual perspective you hate Russell and Okofor at the end of the day the Nets turned garbage into hope. They got younger and more talented.

The Knicks on the other hand refuse to turn slightly productive players into draft picks, nor do they trade older players for younger ones.... besides Carmelo which was obvious, not crafty. Crafty is something the Knicks can never be associated with. I wouldn't even say they make the obvious moves cuz most franchises would obviously look at a year where they trade their francise player as a year to sell off assets and rebuild fully. But you know, the Knicks always gotta sell thier fake hustle, thier fake contention only to come up short. Drafting the one pick you have isn't crafty, especially when you're doing everything in your power to end up drafting 18 instead of 1-7.

I don't bash the players. In a bubble I'm proud of them. But management needs to end this charade and have us win the only playoff we actually have a chance at..... the lottery. Or at the very least be looking for sly moves like this to swap productive veterans who probably won't even be here in 2 years for young, rookie contact players who might be here in 8

I agree, if you look at their roster they go 10 deep easy and thats with multiple guys out with injuries. And they arent reaching for players, theyre all good
BUT I really liked Booker and I dont know what Okafor has to offer. :hmm: :?
Koopa Troopa

Next

Return to NBA