Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Is it just me?

Yes
54%
No
31%
This is not the place to discuss such a sensitive matter
15%

Total votes: 13
dcapodic
Likes given: 0

shakespeare wrote:
It bothers me to see celebs consider this woman as a martyr.

In my humble opinion, she wanted to die at the hands of police. There's a traffic stop video where the cops are actually being respectful, but she's screaming about they will have to kill her if they put hands on her and telling her children to fight the police. If the police show up at your door to serve a warrant and you choose to grab a loaded shotgun and get on social media and ignore pleases from your family to surrender...

You invited confrontation with cops. You wanted to die.
These types of cases are too plentiful these days. It seems people can do no wrong now. This fits right in with the "thin blue line" subject. How can you not feel that you need to band together when people start talking like the "experts" in this article.

Anyone that feels the playing feel is still tilted dramatically is just not paying attention. If this interaction can be questioned to this level, how is a policeman supposed to know what it is they should/shouldn't do. A person with a shotgun fires at you and "experts" are telling you how wrong the police were and how it should not have happened that she got shot?

Anyone still want to tell me how they STILL believe the media is conservatively biased. Oh man if you do....and this is the Washington Post, a previously very conservative paper that went middle ground for a while and is now a liberal rag....amazing!!
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
shakespeare

I don't believe Gaines fired the first shot. My thing is that she was looking for a confrontation with police and got it. If cops showed up at my door with a warrant for my arrest, the last thing in the world I'd do is grab a shotgun and escalate a simple matter into a standoff. To me, that's insane. Not to mention she placed her own child in harm's way. I don't understand how any credible person can look at this from some other perspective.

For example, Shaun King wrote this article about her shooting death. What bothers me more than anything is that he advocates for irresponsible behavior opposite of how he'd react in that situation. I wished he'd use his Daily News platform to suggest how this unfortunate situation could've been avoided in the first place. He argued that some others had pointed guns at cops in the past and lived to tell. At the same time, he purposely disregarded the number of whites who died after pointing a weapon. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2735539
#TeamTank
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:I don't believe Gaines fired the first shot. My thing is that she was looking for a confrontation with police and got it. If cops showed up at my door with a warrant for my arrest, the last thing in the world I'd do is grab a shotgun and escalate a simple matter into a standoff. To me, that's insane. Not to mention she placed her own child in harm's way. I don't understand how any credible person can look at this from some other perspective.

For example, Shaun King wrote this article about her shooting death. What bothers me more than anything is that he advocates for irresponsible behavior opposite of how he'd react in that situation. I wished he'd use his Daily News platform to suggest how this unfortunate situation could've been avoided in the first place. He argued that some others had pointed guns at cops in the past and lived to tell. At the same time, he purposely disregarded the number of whites who died after pointing a weapon. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2735539
Let's be honest shakes....to spend any time discussing the merits of this is just silly. The fact that is can even be brought up for discussion, IMHO is the true root of the problem. It shows that anything and everything can be brought up as just another example of _____________ , you can fill in the blank of whomever is writing the story, White privilege, power crazed police, etc.

Any person that truly has a free thought must be worried about this. It shows the power of the media and where it is taking things. Reality, that is for the real people but who is real any more. Probably you and I but not the Shaun King's of the world. Reality is what he says it is. Scarily, people will read him....and much, much more scarily, you and I, you know the ones that live in the real world are left to be the "ones that don't get it".

But don't fret, there are plenty of "experts" that will help us understand and plenty of people that do "get it" that will help break it down so we too can join in.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:I don't believe Gaines fired the first shot. My thing is that she was looking for a confrontation with police and got it. If cops showed up at my door with a warrant for my arrest, the last thing in the world I'd do is grab a shotgun and escalate a simple matter into a standoff. To me, that's insane. Not to mention she placed her own child in harm's way. I don't understand how any credible person can look at this from some other perspective.

I was away, now it is Milwaukee?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTr6LyJ ... e=youtu.be

Like I said before, there are people that get it, real people but....
dcapodic

https://gma.yahoo.com/dwyane-wades-fami ... ories.html

Where are the protests?!? Why aren't they "burning that MF down"?!?

Dwyane Wade stood up there and spoke out before, is he going to make a real stand here?!?

Or does this not count.

Sorry, this kind of thing really shows all of this BLM bull for what it really is. The only surprising thing is that despite its obviousness, there will be a protest somewhere soon where the situation will be more "appropriate" and people will be up in arms.

Hey Colin, how about a word about this?!? Or, does using your "celebrity" only fit for things that other people tell you is important?!?

End of negative rant about BLM, etc.

How can we live in a society where a mom with 4 kids, on the way to registering them for school gets shot and killed and the only reason it even matters to anyone is that she is the cousin of a basketball star. If this were your or my cousin, no one would give a flying fu**!! This city has the most stringent gun laws in the country (sorry President, I understand this does not fit in with your agenda but it is true) yet this goes on day after day after day. In fact, it is so accepted that if a non "person of color" even mentions it they are told they don't get it cause the Ferguson's, Baltimore's....these are the ones that matter. Ok, so I slipped in one more go off!! Yet, there are people that want to believe with all their heart and soul that there is a conspiracy out there just looking to keep them down and take their lives....they are right, there probably is one but they are just looking in the wrong places.
dcapodic

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/message ... kaepernick

Some of you don't like him and that's ok. But often, he is spot on!
The NFL issued a statement that said players are encouraged but not required to stand for the national anthem. Hmm, this is the same NFL that refused to allow the Dallas Cowboys to wear a helmet decal in honor of the fallen Dallas Police officers gunned down on Thursday July 7th. This is the same NFL that said nothing when players from the then- St. Louis Rams displayed the false narrative symbol of “hands up, dont shoot” — which we know didn’t happen. I find it rather interesting that the NFL has no issue disrespecting law enforcement officers but only “encourages” players to respect the symbol of our nation, the American flag, and our anthem, the Star Spangled Banner.
An organization born out of a lie that perpetuates itself through that lie.
Mr. Kaepernick, a biracial young man adopted and raised by white parents, claims America is oppressing blacks at a time when we have a black, biracial president who was twice elected. We’ve had two black attorneys general and currently have a black secretary of homeland security, along with a black national security advisor. Here in Dallas our police chief, whom I know, is an outstanding black leader. The officer in Milwaukee who shot the armed assailant after issuing an order to drop his weapon was black. Is Mr. Kaepernick following suit and cherry-picking what he terms “oppression?”

First of all, let me clarify to you sir, you are a multi-millionaire “one-percenter” just because you can throw a ball and kiss your biceps. Men like Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Oscar Robertson, Ernie Davis, and Bernard King and Condredge Halloway of my alma mater were athletes who knew of oppression. You sir may certainly have the right to sit upon your “fourth point of contact” when the National Anthem is played but never forget, you live in a nation that has provided you the privilege to have that right.
washingtonparkjones

Thanks Glass.mmI have no interest in responding to an endless stream of straw man arguments.

The core of dcap's response is that its ok for Police to have a wall of silence because there's no "balance."

There isn't supposed to be balance. There's no balance between an officer confronting someone and that member of the public. The officer has all the power. He has the gun, the ability to bring charges. the right to place his or her hands on you, the right to stop and frisk, the right to detain you for up to 48 hours without charges, on and on...

The only balance for the public is the review after the fact. Does that involve second guessing difficult decisions. Of fucking course it does - the same way ANY professional is subject to second guessing after the fact. The more serious the consequences of a mistake, the more strenuous the review. I can lose my license on any day if I make a mistake. Same for doctors and engineers.

Saying that it is ok for Police to have a blue line (don't know where "thin" came into it) is to say that it is understandable for police to lie out of loyalty to each other.

IT IS NOT

Its never been even a little bit ok. Its a violation of every oath and ethical principal of law enforcement. If police countenance lying to protect themselves, they then become criminals with a state license. Just another gang.

Does that mean police are uniformly subject to this behavior? Of course not. However, if the blue line is understandable or worse, a point of pride, then its hella more likely to become uniform.

My statement was that police need to recognize that criticism is part of the job. Having a thin skin, or worse, covering stuff up, is saying that they are not accountable. No one wants to be accountable, but there are professions where honor and ethics are meaningful and expected. The public still has a right to expect police to live up to a code of honor. That means no blue line.

It means full honesty and accept the consequences. That's what police expect from us. We should expect less from them?

When Police essentially say they get a different standard - that's when the conflicts with the public get inflamed. Its not the shooting alone that leads to riots. Its the Police reaction of circling the wagons that causes the riots. Its the public not being heard that boils things over. Does anyone honestly think there would have been riots in Ferguson if the Police had reacted with an immediate statement that they were undertaking a review to insure nothing like that happened again? If they said, "we're giving every police body cams which they are required to have on at all times?" No. The response was "nothing to see here. go away."

I fail to see why the police should act oppressed by criticism. We're worried their feelings are hurt? If there's any oppression, that can only come from consequences being imposed on police and the entire point of BLM is THAT'S NOT HAPPENING. There have been zero consequences for the police in every instance dcap discusses.

I find it amazing that dcap thinks that the private sector is better at things because govt is not accountable, yet there should be less accountability from the govt officials we are most likely to encounter in our daily lives? The ones with the most direct power to end our freedoms and even our lives?
dcapodic

Thanks Glass.mmI have no interest in responding to an endless stream of straw man arguments.

The core of dcap's response is that its ok for Police to have a wall of silence because there's no "balance."
Let's see....you disregard what is actually posted by basically saying it is beneath you to discuss such things:
I have no interest in responding to an endless stream of straw man arguments.
Then you incorrectly apply your own conclusions to said posts and use that as the basis of the points you are about to make:
....and this is why your liberal discussion tendencies are a major part of the problem. There is no discussion....t is basically "my way or the highway" art of detente. Your BLM reference, spot on in that it is exactly how they represent themselves. When I read posts like this it reminds me of the some of the things that I remind kids of....when speaking, listen also, it is most important. Value the thoughts and opinions of the people you speak to, especially when they differ from your own. Those are often the thoughts that are most important to hear. You learn NOTHING repeating the same old lines from people that agree with you. Most important, you will not always be right but believe in what you say and if you want to discuss it, do it in a logical and polite manner.

You dismiss others posts and your "logic" is well, not logical. But then again:
I have no interest in responding to an endless stream of straw man arguments.
shakespeare

Draymond Green has an issue with people focusing on Colin Kaepernick protesting anthem, not realizing bigger issues he's raising. VIDEO:
Mad respect for Draymond.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Singer kneels in protest during national anthem at Miami Heat game. http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/22/us/denasi ... al-anthem/
:clap:
#TeamTank
BXGuy
Likes given: 8

Theres gonna get to the point where we gonna start shooting back and take back this country we built.
The artist formally known as prguy.