Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Is it just me?

Yes
54%
No
31%
This is not the place to discuss such a sensitive matter
15%

Total votes: 13
KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

Apparently my views are unacceptable UNTIL they are voiced by someone other than myself.

It ain't "safe" to agree with me BUT, let John Oliver parrot the exact same sentiments and all y'all are on board with it...

Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
dcapodic

The John Oliver piece seems more for entertainment value than anything. He is just playing off the typical stereotypes and obvious stuff. This article, on the other hand, is fascinating. Things tend to not just "happen", there are usually reasons and the first question I wondered about was the disparity in the racial breakdown of the police department. I know it can be a slow turnover but the numbers are just too out of whack. Also, a curious thing but everyone points to the only 3 blacks on the force yet in several interviews, the mayor has insisted the number was actually 6 but a recent resignation brought it down to 5. 3 or 5 what is the big difference right? Well, what Iit makes me wonder about is this is a basic fact, with a definitive answer yet the info you get is different. This is why i am skeptical of almost anything that comes from this whole situation. It all seems to be slanted by whichever side it is released by.

Any way, thanks for the post shakes, great example of what you were saying.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Irv wrote:[youtube]KUdHIatS36A[/youtube]
shakespeare wrote:
John Oliver broke it down to its very last compound.
j.o. speaks the language of satire, it makes the sad truth easier to hear. for that entire town/county/state govt, beating folks down, treating them as criminals is normal; business as usual. they don't see the people that they are charged to protect as being part of the same community. that is root of the problem, from that all other evils emanate.
Irv
Administrator
Likes given: 183

Wanna know how your police force is comprised of incompetent, egotistical thugs? They learned gun etiquette from watching movies.

dcapodic

cragganmor wrote: j.o. speaks the language of satire, it makes the sad truth easier to hear. for that entire town/county/state govt, beating folks down, treating them as criminals is normal; business as usual. they don't see the people that they are charged to protect as being part of the same community. that is root of the problem, from that all other evils emanate.
they don't see the people that they are charged to protect as being part of the same community. that is root of the problem, from that all other evils emanate
Very well put craggs!
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
dcapodic

Irv wrote:Wanna know how your police force is comprised of incompetent, egotistical thugs? They learned gun etiquette from watching movies.

Yup Irv, first lesson of how to handle a gun....never point it at anything unless you are going to shoot that which you are pointing at.

This pic is becoming kind of an iconic image of all that is happening in Ferguson but I think a lot of people miss the message on the mailbox :)
dcapodic

Ok, dealing not on a large scale but just with the case in Ferguson. What happens is the policeman is found justified for the shooting? Or maybe I should start earlier....is there a chance that what the policeman says even gets heard? I know we can speak of all of the wrong that is happening in the police departments out there but bottom line is they still have a job to do. After the rush to judgement, more info is starting to be gathered and leaked out (rather conveniently). Support is starting for the policeman:

http://news.yahoo.com/blue-porch-lights ... 40049.html

The version the police are going to roll with is being set:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/15/now-p ... d-a-store/

....and the evidence is starting to mount in support:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/19/preli ... ons-story/

Things are not so "cut and dry" now. What happens if it was justified, does anyone buy it? Or do people still keep believing what they want to believe and what the press is feeding them?

Not taking any sides or offering any opinions, just wondering what people think will happen. Also, not offering up any articles or info as fact, so not interested in debating its accuracy, that is not the point. It was easy to judge when all there was to judge from was one side of the story. Now, there will be two obviously. Will that change anything in anyone's mind or has the policeman's fate already been sealed.
shakespeare

dcap,

After having served in the military for 8 years and worked in a correctional facility, I can assure you that it will take a lot to overthrow an excessive use of force accusation in a court of opinion (and court of law), even the most obvious ones. Like Oscar Grant, shot and killed while handcuffed. People in general are tired of crime and most people (for whatever reasons) find it hard to believe that policemen aren't protecting/serving society's best interest. Some are...some are not. These are the same people who believe solely in the symbolic interactionism, opposed to the clear conflict theory it is. Again, for whatever reasons, black males are vilified in America on a daily basis. So if I'm someone who already holds a preconceived notion of a black male, then all I need to enforce my belief is a videotape of Mike Brown supposedly taking some cigarillos.

Then, if that's not enough for me to view him as an out of control thug, the report that Brown had marijuana in his system at the time of death is the icing on the cake. Right? It doesn't matter to these people that our last three POTUS smoked weed or how America legalized weed in some parts of the country. Or that weed has nothing to do with anything. If so, then let's kill all the weed smokers? For symbolic interactionist, weed plays directly into the hands of aggressive black men. Does it not?

In jobs where one risks his or her life on a daily basis, there is an unspoken sentiment between personnel of this nature that speaks of "we are all we got." In towns like Ferguson, defiant (and dependent) in its power structure, I'm pretty sure that approach is even more concrete. Problem is - once the police take that stance, then those citizens who are constantly harassed will assume the exact same position. So now you've got the makings of a small-scale of something that ultimately comes to a boil. And once the shit hits the pan, the media will add fuel to the fire. Stir up hatred. Pit one color against the other. Cater to our fears. Keep us blinded to the real issues at hand.

I've discussed the Mike Brown shooting with a few people (blacks, whites, hispanics) and every last one of us decided there's an absence of humanity that exists in the heart of the officer. Of course the police can justify any and everything (we're all witnesses). But it's much more deeper than this, imo. Let me share a story: Years ago, I once caught two teenagers burglarizing my vehicle and I instinctively grabbed my gun and proceeded to run downstairs and confront the teens. As I made it to the bottom step, one of the teens saw me and ran away. I pointed the gun at the other teen (still inside the car and snatching my radio) and yelled for him to get out of the car. Once outside the car, I told him to run. He did. I called the police for a report (insurance purposes) and explained the situation. The police (white officer) looked at me crazily and asked why I didn't shoot the suspect. He said I should've unloaded the gun into the teen. And I replied, "Why kill someone over a radio?"

He scared me once he said that I would've been justified. The teen burglarizing my car posed no threat to my life just as Mike Brown posed no threat to the life of the officer, either. So why kill him?

Mike Brown might've taken the cigars, he might've paid for them. The police initially said the officer had no knowledge of the robbery, the police now say the officer had knowledge of the robbery. Mike Brown's friend said the argument erupted over an argument due to the police telling the teens to get out of the streets (we've all encountered police harassment and the police doesn't "tell" you anything: they talk to you like you're nothing). Brown then tried to grab the officers gun after the police reached out the window and grabbed the teen during the argument. Blah, blah, blah.

That's politics. Spin. But what about humanity? What about arresting the teen, then giving him a day in court? And I say this to negate the robbery accusation, cause I don't believe Mike Brown robbed the store in the first place. I believe there was some kind of incident in the store where the teen might've tried to steal/stole the cigars and then paid for them once the clerk realized the theft. But all of that is besides the point.

What it all boils down - Mike Brown was unarmed (are the police getting ready to arrest the officer to calm the unrest in Ferguson and then acquit him on "police have a right to shoot and kill a fleeing felon as they're making it appear to be the case?) and once you kill someone who clearly surrendered, then it raises the bar to a seriously scary level on excessive force. This is what no one should allow to happen, regardless of color. The police are already bad enough as it is! In other words, if the officer isn't wrong for shooting the unarmed teen, then why order him to surrender in the first place? Why not just ride up on Mike Brown walking in the streets and start dumping?

I knew George Zimmerman would walk. And I know the officer in Ferguson will walk (if arrested). At this point, I believe the dialogue should address what can be done in the future to stop the senseless killings of unarmed individuals.

That said, good discussion, you are a good devil's advocate.
#TeamTank
cragganmor

here's a vid of a clearly agitated p.o., weapon drawn and he's pivoting and aiming like he's surrounded by the zombie apocalypse, completely freaked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFia3Uo0TQ

there's nothing that unnerves an authority type with a drawn gun than not being afraid...

he was removed from duty afterwards :thumbsup:

that guy clearly has no business being a cop, let alone possessing a firearm.
Mr. Glass
Likes given: 62

This thread saddens me beyond words.
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
cragganmor

Mr. Glass wrote:This thread saddens me beyond words.
the world is full of such sorrow, that is why basketball (among other things) is such a gift
KnicksFanInSouthFL

[youtube]Hi0lYWZ_stA[/youtube]

Kajieme Powell...
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
Mr. Glass

cragganmor wrote:the world is full of such sorrow, that is why basketball (among other things) is such a gift
It is...

...A few words of wisdom from my old friends in NWA (circa 1988):

[Ice Cube]
Fuck the police comin straight from the underground
A young nigga got it bad cause I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
they have the authority to kill a minority
Fuck that shit, cause I ain't the one
for a punk motherfucker with a badge and a gun
to be beatin on, and thrown in jail
We can go toe to toe in the middle of a cell
Fuckin with me cause I'm a teenager
with a little bit of gold and a pager
Searchin my car, lookin for the product
Thinkin every nigga is sellin narcotics
You'd rather see, me in the pen
than me and Lorenzo rollin in a Benz-o
Beat a police out of shape
and when I'm finished, bring the yellow tape
To tape off the scene of the slaughter
Still gettin swoll off bread and water
I don't know if they fags or what
Search a nigga down, and grabbin his nuts
And on the other hand, without a gun they can't get none
But don't let it be a black and a white one
Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top
Black police showin out for the white cop
Ice Cube will swarm
on ANY motherfucker in a blue uniform
Just cause I'm from, the CPT
Punk police are afraid of me!
HUH, a young nigga on the warpath
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a bloodbath
of cops, dyin in L.A.
Yo Dre, I got somethin to say

[cut and scratched x4] "Fuck the police"

[MC Ren]
Fuck the police and Ren said it with authority
because the niggaz on the street is a majority
A gang, is with whoever I'm steppin
and the motherfuckin weapon is kept in
a stash box, for the so-called law
Wishin Ren was a nigga that they never saw
Lights start flashin behind me
But they're scared of a nigga so they mace me to blind me
But that shit don't work, I just laugh
because it gives em a hint, not to step in my path
For police, I'm sayin, "Fuck you punk!"
Readin my rights and shit, it's all junk
Pullin out a silly club, so you stand
with a fake-assed badge and a gun in your hand
But take off the gun so you can see what's up
And we'll go at it punk, and I'ma fuck you up!
Make you think I'ma kick your ass
but drop your gat, and Ren's gonna blast
I'm sneaky as fuck when it comes to crime
But I'ma smoke 'em now and not next time
Smoke any motherfucker that sweats me
or any asshole, that threatens me
I'm a sniper with a hell of a scope
Takin out a cop or two, they can't cope with me
The motherfuckin villian that's mad
With potential, to get bad as fuck
So I'ma turn it around
Put in my clip, yo, and this is the sound
[BOOM, BOOM] Yeah, somethin like that
but it all depends on the size of the gat
Takin out a police, would make my day
But a nigga like Ren don't give a fuck to say

[Eazy-E]
I'm tired of the motherfuckin jackin
Sweatin my gang, while I'm chillin in the shack, and
shinin the light in my face, and for what?
Maybe it's because I kick so much butt
I kick ass - or maybe cause I blast
on a stupid-assed nigga when I'm playin with the trigger
of any Uzi or an AK
Cause the police always got somethin stupid to say
They put out my picture with silence
Cause my identity by itself causes violence
The E with the criminal behavior
Yeah, I'm a gangsta, but still I got flavor
Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got?
A sucker in a uniform waitin to get shot
by me, or another nigga
And with a gat it don't matter if he's smaller or bigger
(MC Ren: Size ain't shit, he's from the old school fool)
And as you all know, E's here to rule
Whenever I'm rollin, keep lookin in the mirror
And ears on cue, yo, so I can hear a
dumb motherfucker with a gun
And if I'm rollin off the 8, he'll be the one
that I take out, and then get away
While I'm drivin off laughin this is what I'll say

- Unknown
shakespeare

Powerful image.

Can't wait to read.
#TeamTank
Mr. Glass

I finally have a chance to give my 14 cents...

The Media - News sources have become exactly like your favorite FM radio stations - heavy rotation of the same shit. If you listen to a song 72 times a day, you are bound to start humming it. Same as the news. Technology is partially at fault here. The internet is simply too fast for any existing printing press. Furthermore, REAL reporting simply can't keep up with the "unnamed source" style of vying for the next click. It puts the average American on edge for the next bit of news, and reliability is simply incidental.

Our microwave-society is absent of detailed information, and that makes us all ignorant in some ways, because we really don’t care about details. We only want the gist so that we can appear informed...and the media exploits this. There is simply too much collusion, nepotism, and partiality in media, politics, special interest groups, and big money to really garner an unfiltered truth to the common man. I was taught that only the Germans used propaganda in WWII, not MY beloved country. Wrong. As Americans we think that our vast choices give us perspective. Wrong again. We are all toothless babies with a plastic-tipped spoons being shoved into our slobbering mouths. Strained peas or strained peaches...it doesn’t matter, it's all mush. News-drones are coming people!

Conditioned Responses - Anyone here from the, "Say something wise-ass and get popped in the mouth" school of parenting? I am, and let me tell you - It had gotten to a point where if I felt like I was about to say something smartass, I would automatically flinch before my mother was even thinking about giving me one across the lips.

So goes for the conditioning of races and cultures. Blacks were hung and put on display as an example to other Blacks. "Stay in your lane or there is a price to pay!" Why do Blacks pillage and destroy their own shit? Because for a short time they KNOW they'll be able to release some rage and revolt. Take that shit into the wrong neighborhood, and you're dying THAT night. Conditioning. I've had to answer this question at work before. Yes, it makes my people look opportunistic and barbaric, but it's much more than that to me. We've marched more in this country that a thousand Bataans. There is little results for the timid when the enemy is without barrier and conscious. Trust, the enemy is not White either. It is the fearful elite unwilling to learn and step out of his comfort zones. That and conditioning at a conspiratorial level.

What do Black people gain by burning shit down? The world sees us on YouTube and free microwaves? Fuck it, I'm going in! Seriously though, I am not justifying looting but a man without a voice is a powerless, desperate soul. Drinking, drugs, and ill-advised decisions are the byproduct of oppression of any kind. For ALL races! For Black people, we simply need to vote...just kidding, that's bullshit. Self-empowerment is the only road to success. Education of self and offspring.

I hope none of this is offensive, just my take. We all need to embrace each other and our differences. A quick story:

While in the Army (overseas in Germany), there was a divide between us troops. On-duty, we worked together to accomplish our daily/weekly tasks. Off-duty, we divided into our own groups based on color, age, sex, and region. One weekend while downtown, some local Turkish dudes pull a knife on one of the younger (White) soldiers [The Rock & Roll club was right down the street from the R&B club]. Word spread like herpes and before you knew it, we were ALL out there side-by-side ready to kick some funky Turkish ass. Gone was our isolationism. It was simply 10-15 of THEM versus 10-15 of US. We all knew these chumps stood no chance against us as a united crew. No chance. Overseas we were mostly unplugged from media sources and other biased plug-ins. We all had the same motives - doing our jobs and making life better for our loved ones. Funny, a few weekends later, we had a small but rowdy riot in the rec-room over WrestleMania. Who would win in a real fight - Hulk Hogan or Zeus (Deeboo from Friday)? One White and one Black. Hehehe, ignorance.

Parting quotes:

"Stop using guns, barriers, and unfair influences to protect yourself from that which you cannot escape. Instead, use your willingness and faith in God to disarm what is unknown."

"To be ignorant is the highest crime of self. If positive change matters, then you will find a way. If positive change doesn’t matter then you will find an excuse."

Amurica.

- Unknown
qdman

does the truth really even matter at this point?
shakespeare

Mr. Glass wrote:We all need to embrace each other and our differences.
"To be ignorant is the highest crime of self. If positive change matters, then you will find a way.
Well said.

I will bow out of this thread discussion with one of my fave quotes, ever. Not from any philosopher, but from the television series The Wire.

Swear to God, it was never a cop show.

"We're building something here...and all the pieces matter."
#TeamTank
Koopa Troopa

update on that Ray Allen story from earlier....for those who forgot
A couple of teenage party goers decided to take an unauthorized tour of former Heat player Ray Allen’s Coral Gables home last night. According to the Miami Herald, several 18 and 19 year old kids who were attending a party next door snuck into Allen’s home through an unlocked back door at about 2 A.M. Allen’s wife Shannon and children were asleep upstairs, but were awoken by the commotion. The teens fled after Allen’s wife screamed out,

“What the (expletive) are you doing in my house?” Immediately she heard one of the women say “Oh my God.”

The teens were found shortly after and questioned by police. Nothing was taken from the home and the teens said that they thought the family had moved. They were released after police determined they had no malicious intent.
Ray isnt having that:
The lawyer for the Miami Heat free agent criticized the police department for treating the trespassing as a ‘silly prank.’

'Miami Heat guard Ray Allen and his wife are angry at how police and media reports have characterized what happened at their Coral Gables home early Thursday, when seven 18- and 19-year-olds walked uninvited into their house.

In response, the Coral Gables Police Department said it is again discussing the case with the Miami-Dade state attorney’s office and will work with the Allen family “regarding the filing of criminal charges.”

“A serious crime was committed under Florida law,” said Gregory Victor, the Allens’ attorney. “A large number of young adults knowingly broke into Mr. and Mrs. Allen’s locked home on Thursday, Aug. 14, at 2:30 a.m. and absolutely terrified their family. The crime was not only egregious, but the police characterization of this as a silly prank is completely inappropriate. Every family deserves privacy and to feel safe in their own home.”

“The suggestion that anyone can unlawfully enter into someone’s locked home and then into an occupied bedroom in the middle of the night without consequences is unsettling, regardless of the stated or actual reason for such unlawful entry,” said a statement by Allen’s family.

“We are very fortunate that no one involved was physically harmed during this ordeal. Miami is our home and we are proud to be active members in this community. We pray that no one else has to endure this kind of intrusion on their home or their families’ safety. Everyone deserves to feel safe in their own homes.”

Coral Gables police spokeswoman Kelly Denham said police did not charge the teenagers with burglary because there was no forced entry, no intent and nothing was taken.

However, under Florida Statute 810.07, “proof of entering of . . . a structure or conveyance at any time stealthily and without consent of the owner or occupant is . . . evidence” of entering with “intent to commit a crime.”

The teenagers, who had been attending a party next door, told police they were curious to see Allen’s home and didn’t believe anyone was inside.

“It’s an ongoing investigation, and we are working with the Allen family and the Miami-Dade state attorney’s office to levy criminal charges of trespassing against the seven individuals that entered the home illegally,” Denham told the Miami Herald on Sunday.

Denham said the department’s “hands were tied with the law.”

“The Coral Gables Police Department stands with the Allen family that no one should enter a home without the permission of a homeowner without consequences,” she said. “We went out to investigate an occupied burglary. Through our investigation we realized the only element of a crime we had was a charge of trespassing.”

Earlier, Gables police said in a statement, “Although the individuals had entered the residence, there was no proof that they had the intent to commit any crimes inside. The Miami-Dade County state attorney’s office advised the detectives that no arrests should be made at that time, in that the elements of a burglary had not been met [and] that the appropriate charge in this case was the crime of trespass in an occupied structure, a misdemeanor.”

So why weren’t the teenagers charged with trespassing?

“Law enforcement officers are not permitted by Florida law to make an arrest for a trespass of this nature unless the crime occurs in their presence,” the statement said.

Friday night, Allen’s family released a statement, saying, “We want to correct the erroneous information being reported about the crime committed in our home this week. On Thursday morning at 2:30 a.m., my wife Shannon was awakened by loud voices in our bedroom where she had been sleeping with our four young children.

“She heard male voices loudly discussing our personal property and sat up in a state of alarm to find at least five people inside our bedroom with large flashlights. She was immediately fearful for the safety of her own life, but more importantly the lives of our young children. When she screamed at them, the intruders quickly fled the scene and laughter was heard as they made their way out of our bedroom, down the stairs and out of our house.

“As these individuals were fleeing our house, Shannon immediately called security and the police for help. Shannon and I believe that a number of the public statements made through media outlets have mischaracterized certain important facts and what we believe to be the seriousness of this potentially devastating invasion upon our lives, home and family,” Allen said.

Said Victor, the Allens’ attorney: “This violation of the Allen family was offensive. The reported intentions of these perpetrators as being simply voyeuristic in nature does not justify their conduct nor excuse them from the reasonable consequences of their reprehensible actions. We plan to meet with authorities promptly in order to seek the appropriate intervention of the criminal justice system and discuss the specific actions to be taken so that such unlawful conduct is not ignored and tolerated.”'
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/17/4 ... ation.html

Police in Florida sure do act differently when rich white kids get caught doing illegal things. Funny thing is in Florida if you do what they did, and if Ray Allen was home, he could have shot them dead and got away with it free.
shakespeare

Not even an indictment. Man...

#TeamTank
KnicksRUs

^ Not even comparable. At all. Zimmerman was clearly a fucking assbag.

The rioting in the streets is the dumbest fucking shit. We'll never know exactly what went down, but rather than EVEN CONSIDERING that due process played out and the grand jury made an impartial decision based on the enormous amounts of evidence presented to them (that most of us don't even know) people (no, I just don't mean black people...... there are plenty of white people protesting in the streets) just fucking leap to the conclusion that this was a racist white man shooting a completely innocent black kid.

There has been way more in-depth analysis of this case due to the national coverage it has received. The Supreme Court IS GOING to look further into this case. From all accounts the legal process has played out fairly and is going to be continued to as it turns from a state level investigation to a federal one.

Yet, despite no fucking evidence that there has been some type of conspiracy people are fucking making asses out of themselves and setting fires to buildings and police cars.

BTW, yes, I understand the "rioters" are a small portion of the protesting population. But all the peaceful protestors all have the same message- A white cop killed a black young man so its automatically racially based. No doubt about it. It doesn't matter what details comes out. It doesn't matter how fairly the legal system plays out. It's 100% racially induced and NOTHING will change anyone's mind who already thought it in the 1st place.

Maybe this is a scenario where the shooting was at least a little racially induced. Maybe Officer Wilson did use excessive force because he has a preconceived notion on how a young black male, who he had recently found out was involved in a robbery, would react. We're roughly half a century removed from the Civil Rights Movement. Of course there is still some residual racism left in this country. I'm not naive. I don't believe that was the case here, but I don't have the arrogance to say its impossible.

But I'm choosing to believe justice was served in this case. Not because I'm backing Officer Wilson, but because I'm trusting the way the legal system played out IN THIS CASE. Our legal system has its flaws as every legal system does, but until someone shows me proof that an error was made, substantive or procedural, I'm not going to go fucking protesting in the damn streets. It's fucking ridiculous.
"I hate them" - Stugotz