Singer Prince dies at 57

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

shakespeare
Likes given: 0

#TeamTank
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Fuckin' bust. First Bowie, now Prince? Legends are going too fast.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
bobhait
Likes given: 62

worst year in recent pop music history
sky’s the limit
MrMajik2

This guy musically did it all. To be so talenting to sing, write, dance, play all instruments, compose and arrange all his own music highlights just how far music has strayed from originality. What a talent.
"Today, we celebrate not just another win vs a rival, but the end of their sadistic rule over our hopes and dreams. There is nothing left to fear. The New York Knicks are just better." - H20Knicks
shakespeare

Original live performance of "Purple Rain," I never knew this song initially had three verses.
#TeamTank
Mr. Glass

Hands down, the most influential performer of my time.

Peace out to The Beautiful One.
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
qdman

Prince was an excellent guitar player [youtube]6SFNW5F8K9Y[/youtube]
shakespeare

That performance was legendary. :thumbsup:

My sister and I sat and discussed Prince's music over the past few days and she reminded me of the time I broke her Purple Rain album in our childhood. I was a hip hop fanatic/Michael Jackson fan and she was Prince crazy. At the time, I was only 12, so Prince's persona creeped me out. Anyway, I wanted to listen to my RUN DMC album one morning and she played Prince all that day which prevented me, so that night, we argued and I broke her Prince album. Amazingly, it would be at least another month before she spoke a word to me. She read the album lyrics until my mom bought her a Purple Rain cassette and Walkman. It was those same lyrics to Purple Rain that made me a huge Prince fan. As the years passed, I began to purchase his earlier material and realized that he was the great one. I've never referred to anyone as a musical "genius" in my life, but Prince. I read his book written by Ronin Ro last year and it solidified that belief from beginning to end. "Raspberry Beret" is my fave Prince song, a perfect song.

After reading tweets from hundreds of other musicians, I co-signed their sentiments that his music career changed the game.
#TeamTank
MrMajik2

Im just blown away. Its still completely shocking to think hes no longer with us.
"Today, we celebrate not just another win vs a rival, but the end of their sadistic rule over our hopes and dreams. There is nothing left to fear. The New York Knicks are just better." - H20Knicks
StevoStarks

qdman wrote:Prince was an excellent guitar player [youtube]6SFNW5F8K9Y[/youtube]
That solo is sick. Yes, he was one hell of a guitar player. Dude could shred.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Mr. Glass

When it comes to Price I'm definitely not a hipster pretending to be down (now that he's gone), but dang I see a lot of that. And I'm not mad either! My momma calls herself a huge fan and she literally knows "Purple Rain", "Kiss" and "When Doves Cry". That was the beauty of the man. Knowing even one of his songs made you feel like you were riding with him. For me, a pimply-face half-breed teen, who enjoyed rock as much as R&B, I was catching Prince on 95.5 WPLJ and Z-100 back in 80's NYC. My "all Black" cousin was jamming Prince slow jams on late night WBLS and 92 KTU! Come on Shakes, I know you know!

Prince was more than his music. He was a vibe. An unmistakeable vibe that made the strange un-strange. Everyone seen this? Tasty licks towards the end!

[youtube]RC34ZcDiCag[/youtube]
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
qdman

[youtube]us4u561ExSc[/youtube]
shakespeare

Mr. Glass wrote: Come on Shakes, I know you know!
Definitely. Here's another Prince story I'll share: Back in boot camp, I had one of the meanest drill sergeants ever born if you ask me. I mean, this guy always frowned, had no personality, and never showed any emotion outside of screaming and yelling in your face from the early morning hours to the time he left the base at night. He kept his Ranger hat low, so you could barely see his eyes. I'm not one who's easily broken, but he was chilling. Anyway, one night I was on night guard duty, with another private and we walked to the building where the overnight drill sergeants stayed for duty. The batteries in one of our flashlights had died. After we entered the building, we were commanded what room our drill sergeant was posted up. As we stood in the doorway and explained the situation, we were shocked to see him laid back in a chair, watching Prince's video "Scandalous." At the end of boot camp, during the graduation ceremony, I told the story to the company and he laughed. Only time we ever saw him smile.

But yeah, I remember the first time I heard "Erotic City" on the radio. Mind-blowing track. I remember hitting up various record stores and snatching up old Prince material (and the records of artists he wrote hit records for ala The Time, Sheila E, The Family, The Bangles, etc.), especially the 12" vinyls, and being blown away by his music. I remember calling radio stations at night and dedicating his ballads to then-girlfriends. I remember biting certain lines in those songs while writing love letters. I remember cutting school with my girl and going to see "Under The Cherry Moon." Back then, he didn't even seem human. I stopped buying his CDs after the "Love Symbol" album, but bought "Musicology" around 2004 (it was part of a concert ticket deal).

You want to know what else is mind-blowing? He died in the month of April, which recalls one of his most underrated songs.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Check out this dedication to Prince. It's boss, literally.
#TeamTank
StevoStarks

shakespeare wrote:Check out this dedication to Prince. It's boss, literally.
That was cool.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
qdman

[youtube]NFXZNt4oLkE[/youtube] thread not over yet
CommonSense
Likes given: 13

I'm remember one of you guys posting this here back in the day, and it's still probably my favorite thing ever:
Prince will steal your girl, then steal her clothes, then steal someone else's girl in your girl's clothes
The future ain't what it used to be~Yogi Berra

Inaugural 2019 NYKFP Mock Free Agency Competition Champion :drunk: