Stephen Curry

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Naan
Likes given: 0

Stephen Curry had a chat with Dan Patrick.

Summary:

He and his agent have talked to every team and heard anywhere between position 6 and 20 for his draft range. The team listing him at sixth overall was New York. He would prefer to play in New York over Charlotte (hometown) because of the opportunity to play in MSG nearly every day. Stephen compared his style of play to Steve Nash, not because he is on his level, but because his skill set resembles his. He believes he is a point guard and has learned to create his own shot while improving his teammates. Curry assures us that he is 6'3" with shoes and 6'2.5" without shoes and socks. Earlier Reggie Miller said Stephen was only 6'1". When asked if he was better than Augustin, he voted D.J. because he is in the NBA.

I'm starting to think he has been guaranteed the selection by Walsh because of his combination of calmness and confidence. I can't say I wouldn't be happy if he was indeed our choice.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1122

Naanination wrote:Stephen Curry had a chat with Dan Patrick.

Summary:

He and his agent have talked to every team and heard anywhere between position 6 and 20 for his draft range. The team listing him at sixth overall was New York. He would prefer to play in New York over Charlotte (hometown) because of the opportunity to play in MSG nearly every day. Stephen compared his style of play to Steve Nash, not because he is on his level, but because his skill set resembles his. He believes he is a point guard and has learned to create his own shot while improving his teammates. Curry assures us that he is 6'3" with shoes and 6'2.5" without shoes and socks. Earlier Reggie Miller said Stephen was only 6'1". When asked if he was better than Augustin, he voted D.J. because he is in the NBA.

I'm starting to think he has been guaranteed the selection by Walsh because of his combination of calmness and confidence. I can't say I wouldn't be happy if he was indeed our choice.
I didn't see that happen this year in Davidson......some of you guys are all foaming at the mouth over this, but I'm too impatient to wait for a combo-guard to develop into a PG for our team. When we're looking forward to attract talent from the 2010 off-season, I need a PG that is 85% finished in their development.

Stephen Curry is only 50% in my eyes, I'd still take Ty Lawson over Curry if we're not in a position to draft Jennings or Rubio.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

big-i stephen Curry is a very smart player not top mention the fact that his dad was a former nba player. Now that doesnt mean he's gonna be good because his dad was but he's already damn good and I'm sure his work ethinc is probably better than anyone in this draft. Whatever he puts his mind to he'll do it. And to say you cant wait for someone to develop? C'mon name your favorite prospect and I'll show you a guy that needs at least 2 yrs to develop just to play in the nba the way they looked in college and still they need improvement. Any other draft you wouldnt wait but consider gallo was pick 6 and then realize yr 1 has just passed him by. Yeah, you can wait. Especially when a guy like Lebron will take your mind off of it, or whoever we sign. Anybody you draft will need at least 2 yrs of development and Curry is actually ahead of the curve.
big_j_NY

nazrmohamed wrote:big-i stephen Curry is a very smart player not top mention the fact that his dad was a former nba player. Now that doesnt mean he's gonna be good because his dad was but he's already damn good and I'm sure his work ethinc is probably better than anyone in this draft. Whatever he puts his mind to he'll do it. And to say you cant wait for someone to develop? C'mon name your favorite prospect and I'll show you a guy that needs at least 2 yrs to develop just to play in the nba the way they looked in college and still they need improvement. Any other draft you wouldnt wait but consider gallo was pick 6 and then realize yr 1 has just passed him by. Yeah, you can wait. Especially when a guy like Lebron will take your mind off of it, or whoever we sign. Anybody you draft will need at least 2 yrs of development and Curry is actually ahead of the curve.
In terms of PG development, Ty Lawson is already ahead of Curry. In 2 years, Ty Lawson has the potential to be a double-double threat if he's the starting PG for the D'Antoni system. With Stephen Curry, give him 2 years in this system, he'll prolly be a 16 and 8 PG........but he'll have his lapses.

I'm not even gonna wait for Lebron b/c judging by how the Cavs are built rite now, Lebron's not coming. Dwayne Wade on the other hand is a maybe, but we need to attract talent TOO. We can't attract talent with a combo-guard that is 2-4 yrs away from being a true PG under Mike D'Antoni's system. In order for D'Antoni's system to attract high level talent, we need to win. In order to win, we need a better POINT GUARD. Not any guard, a POINT GUARD.

I was ok with the prospect of Duhon in the last off-season, but it's quite clear that if Chris Duhon is our full-time starting PG again next season, the D'Antoni offense will still struggle to run and become that successful poison that has slaughtered bubble playoff teams in the past.

Give me Rubio, give me Lawson.......but if by god we get Stephen Curry, Walsh better go after a high-quality PG in the off-season to force Chris Duhon to the bench. We can't become successful in the D'Antoni system with a half-court, role-player pushover like Chris Duhon as the PG. I'm sorry, we're trying to make it to the playoffs next season to attract high-quality talent.......and we can't do that with a PG that has a limited offensive skillset.

And for the record, I don't consider Eric Maynor and/or Johnny Flynn as a consolation prize if we pass up Ricky Rubio and/or Ty Lawson. I'm sorry, they just won't cut it for me......
Roco

I really have no idea what to think about Curry, but based on what you have seen or heard, would any of you think of Monta Ellis as a fair comparison?
Spamming in a made-up language (while still cursing in English) on a two year old thread is not something this forum supports.

-Irv
Mr. Glass
Likes given: 62

Roco wrote:I really have no idea what to think about Curry, but based on what you have seen or heard, would any of you think of Monta Ellis as a fair comparison?
I think his shot is a little better. I was just checking nbadraft.net and they just moved S. Curry up to 13th on the mock draft board (Ty Lawson at 16).
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
Next Faze

If we end up with Steph Curry I don't think I'd be mad at that, but if Ty Lawson is available I think he's got to be our guy. We need a true PG in the worst way, and if we don't end up with Rubio, Lawson is the way to go. From the comparisons that he's drawn, he seems to be a can't miss player for this system here in NY. Interestingly, DraftExpress says that his best case comparison is TJ Ford, and his worst case comparison is Jamaal Tinsley. Both are quality NBA point guards, or have at least been considered as such for a good part of their careers (although Tinsley hasn't played in a while).

Curry has a pretty good skill set, but as far as making the transition to PG full time, I really don't know how that's gonna turn out. I like him as a player but I think we need to get a true PG this time around.
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

To be honest we can fight for hours about comparing Jennings/Curry/Lawson/Flynn/Maynor/Evans.

And I agree with you guys on the fact that we must win now. Personally this is what I would do.

If we have the 8th pick...We take Curry/Flynn/Lawson with that pick since that is their projection.

Sign Nash or Kidd for 3 year deals.

That way we have a starting caliber playmaker that knows how to win and a general for this system.

That allows Curry to develop as a back up PG(which will take a short amount of time because his feel for the game/IQ/shooting ability is so high)

Lebron/Wade whoever else will still be enticed to play here because we have a general/great coach/Wilson and Gallo are good young sidekicks/Lee is a great dirty work 4.

FYI...When Curry enters the League...he will be the top 10 best shooters in the league. He's a great spot shooter, off the dribble, off screens, fadeaways and angles. He's not a PURE pg and he's not a good athlete but his shooting is the one thing im not worried about at all. If he can handle the rock around 3 defenders he can get his shot off at the PG position in the next level...question is will he be shot happy.
big_j_NY

Don Che wrote:To be honest we can fight for hours about comparing Jennings/Curry/Lawson/Flynn/Maynor/Evans.

And I agree with you guys on the fact that we must win now. Personally this is what I would do.

If we have the 8th pick...We take Curry/Flynn/Lawson with that pick since that is their projection.

That way we have a starting caliber playmaker that knows how to win and a general for this system.

That allows Curry to develop as a back up PG(which will take a short amount of time because his feel for the game/IQ/shooting ability is so high)

Lebron/Wade whoever else will still be enticed to play here because we have a general/great coach/Wilson and Gallo are good young sidekicks/Lee is a great dirty work 4.

FYI...When Curry enters the League...he will be the top 10 best shooters in the league. He's a great spot shooter, off the dribble, off screens, fadeaways and angles. He's not a PURE pg and he's not a good athlete but his shooting is the one thing im not worried about at all. If he can handle the rock around 3 defenders he can get his shot off at the PG position in the next level...question is will he be shot happy.
Once again, I don't understand the love-fest on Johnny Flynn. What the hell does he got that makes him good enough to be debated alongside Stephen Curry and Ty Lawson as the PG of the future to be drafted with the 8th pick? Honestly, I don't fucking see it.
knicksfan4life

Curry did average 6 assists a game, it's not like the point guard ability isn't there. He is a good passer, he is a great shooter, I think he can play point guard, and I think he'd be a great fit. Guys that can shoot like that don't grow on trees, imagine him and Gallo together! Two of the nicest shots in the NBA side by side, plus that would be building the perfect supporting cast for LeBron/Wade/Insert superstar here, because those guys always have the ball in their hands eliminating the need for a "real pg", it'd probably be better having a point guard who's a great shooter and can pass, look at LeBron's current PG, Mo Williams, who's game Curry resembles except with a nicer J. If Donnie really believes King James or Wade can be landed, Curry's a great pick (plus him and LeBron are boys).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Naan

Stephen Curry is the ideal player for this system at point guard, by the way. Not only can he light it up from behind the arc like Nash, once he is surrounded by an Amar'e for example, assist totals will increase. Even Steve Nash grew as Dirk did and Rondo matured as the Celtics gained power. There is always a role for a shooter in the NBA. J.J. Redick is a bad comparison because he could not pass or defend decently. Unlike Duhon, Curry's conditioning is not a question. All the Knicks need is a point guard who can pass to a player with offensive capabilities and knock down the open jumper when called upon. Curry is similar to Nate in the sense of proliferation, however Stephen possesses the basketball IQ and skill to become a better driver and star under Mike D'Antoni's tutelage.
Don Che

[quote="big_j_NY"][quote="Don Che"]To be honest we can fight for hours about comparing Jennings/Curry/Lawson/Flynn/Maynor/Evans.

If we have the 8th pick...We take Curry/[b]Flynn[/b]/Lawson with that pick since that is their projection.

FYI...When Curry enters the League...he will be the top 10 best shooters in the league. He's a great spot shooter, off the dribble, off screens, fadeaways and angles. He's not a PURE pg and he's not a good athlete but his shooting is the one thing im not worried about at all. If he can handle the rock around 3 defenders he can get his shot off at the PG position in the next level...question is will he be shot happy.[/quote]

Once again, I don't understand the love-fest on Johnny Flynn. What the hell does he got that makes him good enough to be debated alongside Stephen Curry and Ty Lawson as the PG of the future to be drafted with the 8th pick? Honestly, I don't fucking see it.[/quote]

Its a projection...calm down. no need to be a poster with a itchy trigger finger. I'm just mentioning the group of PG's we are looking at. If you read around the league..some Knick scouts like him.

All 3 of these PG's have pros and cons...so you can't take one completely off the list. I personally dont know which one i want more. I kinda switch every week lol but Flynn's numbers in the big east(best conference ive seen in some time) while not having a great supporting caste is very impressive.

But as of right now...Curry looks like my guy. But I like all 3 equally. I'm more focused on trading/releasing players off of our roster then the one we are drafting
knicksfan4life

Naanination wrote:Stephen Curry is the ideal player for this system at point guard, by the way. Not only can he light it up from behind the arc like Nash, once he is surrounded by an Amar'e for example, assist totals will increase. Even Steve Nash grew as Dirk did and Rondo matured as the Celtics gained power. There is always a role for a shooter in the NBA. J.J. Redick is a bad comparison because he could not pass or defend decently. Unlike Duhon, Curry's conditioning is not a question. All the Knicks need is a point guard who can pass to a player with offensive capabilities and knock down the open jumper when called upon. Curry is similar to Nate in the sense of proliferation, however Stephen possesses the basketball IQ and skill to become a better driver and star under Mike D'Antoni's tutelage.
2 Points on things you said, Stephen's B-Ball iq is tremendous which imo will make D'Antoni love him and make him a capable point guard, remember there isn't a lot of half court offense here so a traditional point guard isn't a requirement. The other being Redick is a poor comparison because Curry has legit PG skills, Redick does not, plus Curry's more athletic.

The thing I'd watch for on Curry is how he does defensively in individual workouts vs say, Lawson or Rubio or Jennings.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

take the player who takes the most charges.
Roco

I think what it comes down to is that Stephen Curry can play. I don't think he has the same amount of athleticism that Monta has, but they're about the same height and the same weight. I'd be more excited to have Jennings or Lawson, even Jrue Holiday, so if we do end up picking Curry, I'm going to assume that Walsh knows what he's doing.

Monta Ellis' draft profile:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Monta-Ellis-289/

It's interesting to see the kinds of weaknesses they listed for him, such as poor pg skills and questionable intangibles, but he's still a pretty good player. Compare that to Curry, who Bob Knight apparently called the best passer in college basketball. The more I think about the idea of drafting Curry, the more open I am to it.
Spamming in a made-up language (while still cursing in English) on a two year old thread is not something this forum supports.

-Irv
FuryRealm25

I think if Mike D'Antoni thinks he can play point guard, I have no problem with the pick. Honestly, he's probably the best shooter I've ever seen (well I've seen Maravich stuff so second best). That includes Miller, Ellis, Bird, etc. He has such a quick release.
Edit: Inappropriate signature removed.
Mr. Glass

Yo. Was that dude with the juicy red lips on that Gatorade "G" commerical Curry? I JUST realized that! They had some heavy hitters from past and present in there. I guess he is future!

- Unknown
Don Che

All the guards in the draft have flaws..this is a crapshoot.

This system/Roster/role is more important then the player we receive.

Literally....I put EVERY SINGLE GUARD in one pool. None of them stand out other then Rubio(and im not COMPLETELY SOLD either)
Next Faze

FuryRealm25 wrote:I think if Mike D'Antoni thinks he can play point guard, I have no problem with the pick. Honestly, he's probably the best shooter I've ever seen (well I've seen Maravich stuff so second best). That includes Miller, Ellis, Bird, etc. He has such a quick release.
I wouldn't have a problem with the pick either. Great shooters are so rare these days, so if the guy has some PG skills, is willing to work AND is a great shooter on top of that, we can really have something here. Of course it's good to keep our options open, but Steph Curry seems to be on that list.
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Mr. Glass

Good shooters keep you in games...just look at the Chicago and Boston battle! Allen, Heinrich, Gordon, and Pierce are all killing it!

- Unknown