Porzingis is the FUTURE!!! Time to trade Melo???

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

:popcorn:
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

I know you're baiting but obviously this conversation was going to happen in earnest.

I'm thinking that the realization that Zinger can contribute sooner rather than later extends the window in which they'll both be good. I figure window is going to be good enough to be a primary scorer on a good team for 4 or 5 more years.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

I like a future with Porzingis but if people want Melo traded then the best place to start is by trading every player over 26 on this team first. You basically gotta create an atmosphere where theres no hope for Melo in us trying to contend. Impossible. Make it about acquiring only young players who must develop and mature just like Porzingis with a learning curve. Im not saying just get trash players. We might get a decent young player or two. When Melo sees an entire team of kids and himself, and know that our future moves with be geared around the same objective he will then waive his no trade clause and we might trade him.

But trying to trade Melo by simply coming up with scenarios that aim to do just that wont do that at all. So long as Affalo/Calderon/Lopez are on this team there'll always be a perception that we're just one near all-star vet away. And if history is a good lesson then the Knicks will actually trade some of our current youth to make that happen. If this was an Isiah team we'd be trying on trading Grant and KP for Cousins right now. Whats crazy its something you gotta consider but thats the point. Thats why you gotta eliminate that mindset, that hope.

To trade Melo theres gotta be no hope in this team doing anything but be a training ground for players three years away. And yes, Porzingis is still three years away. The only difference now is that at the end he might not just be a solid contributor, he might be a star.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Melo keeps the burden off Porzingis. . Imagine his burden if he gets traded..porz will exposed big time. Got to remember he is just 20 years old. He isn't ready to take over any NBA teamyour the Sixers
Fxck Adam Silver
Mr3037

nazrmohamed wrote:To trade Melo theres gotta be no hope in this team doing anything but be a training ground for players three years away. And yes, Porzingis is still three years away. The only difference now is that at the end he might not just be a solid contributor, he might be a star.
We need Melo to be around while KP progresses to star level.
Melo will continue to attract attention so Kris can go about working out his game etc.

It's been what 9 games, so lets not give Porzingis the keys to the city yet, he'll be ready for them 1 day but we need to remain patient
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I dont know where I read this...this forum or another but someone had a great point in once you draft a star...drafting your next one is not set in stone. Like Cousins...AD and some others.

We have too little talent to trade it away for less talent unless is a major asset (1st rounder)..this is like the opposite of the Marbury years. Now we have no talent all hustle/IQ and team oriented guys which I love....then we had all the talent in the world but lacked everything else.

Essentially my point is....Trading Melo isnt the answer but Melo learning to take less shots to get his points is the answer. Simple as that.

This team will move the ball...hit open shots...set hard screens..rebound and do all the dirty work. Melo has to be smart enough to know when to score and when to move the ball and make sure to hit his open shots.

Also I'm a believer in trusting your scouts and making room for talent to flourish, like I said before drafting KP is a rookie excels in a good environment/opportunity and work ethic/determination.
KP has all those things: Veterans like the ones Nazr mentioned/ Opportunity in which no other starting caliber guy was taking his spot(remember the guys here who wanted us to sign LA or bring KP off the bench?) and work ethic is all on KP committing his body and more importantly learning how to box out and angles(very easy to learn if you care to learn at his height)

I say..KP isn't "the future" really he's helping us right now if he stops fouling he's a stud. Melo could be helping us if he took better shots. Fisher could help us by starting Gallo or revamping the guard spots or creating action between Melo and KP on a consistent basis get either one of them easier looks in give and go's or pick and rolls. Melo needs to do for KP that KG does for Towns big difference is Rubio being on that team he creates so well for others as a decision maker.

If a team wants to give a similar package that we gave up for him....and he'd go there...then thats a different story this whole thing is me thinking no contending team would give up alot to get him BECAUSE of the dumb sh*t he does like tonight...he never lets the game come to him he comes in and takes it by the throat so if he goes to the Clippers/Memphis/Bulls their whole entire way of life would change and no team will trade for that

He's at his best when he's simply a finisher but that means we need better guards to manage the situation. Question is who? even free agents next year..who?

What guards with this front line could do damage in the east? Seems like Phil focused on that first.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

n8 the gr8 wrote:I know you're baiting but obviously this conversation was going to happen in earnest.

I'm thinking that the realization that Zinger can contribute sooner rather than later extends the window in which they'll both be good. I figure window is going to be good enough to be a primary scorer on a good team for 4 or 5 more years.
Why do you think so lowly of me? I'm simply playing devils advocate, here... :?

For those of you who believe Melo's absence will be detrimental to Porzingis' development please explain to me how any of the leagues Superstars (young and old) were able to achieve their status? How many of THEM had a Superstar playing ahead/alongside them?

At this point we're not a Championship caliber team with or without Melo, and it's pretty obvious we have a stud in our young phenom. So, going forward wouldn't trading Melo reward us with the better options (picks + players) to surround Porzingis with?
KRL

No you don't trade Melo, you continue to grow as a team and develop Porzingis,
Grant & Galloway. Hopefully we finish .500 or better and make the playoffs. Then
we are very attractive going into next year's free agent market:

- We would be a playoff team
- Melo would prove he's healthy and productive
- Grant would be a rising point guard
- Galloway would be a rising combo guard
- Porzingis would be a rising franchise player

Those elements (unlike last year) would be very attractive to free agents (Durant?)
and allow us to make a big leap next year
Don Che

KFSFL i think the point you made in the other thread about Melo not fitting in our system is somewhat related to this topic also.

I'm not sure if KP fits our style either but once you can shoot/dribble/pass/defend/rebound you can fit in any system and the idea of fit is for guys that are role players, guys we pay as star players should be able to fit in any system because basketball is basketball.

I'm not sure if there is a "system" or a player in the NBA in the past 30 years that won a ring holding the ball and taking shots wrecklessly ...so its really on our staff and Melo himself to fix his game after he gets his legs under him(seems like its happening soon)

The Olympics is the only reason I think Melo could actually play this way.

I'm with KRL's plan....I'd start the young guys as the season goes along and try to win as much as possible...evaluate who steps up later on but let this team succeed or fail with Melo/Rolo/KP/Gallo/Grant/Quin/Early. Keep the team together build chemistry.

My gut says Rolo will be the odd man out in time..mainly because I think Noah is a FA and is flat out a better player/competitor and just better in this system then he is and I think we have a chance to get him but thats another issue down the line..
Red

Ha that would be another restart to the restart. In effect you'd be setting us back another 4-5 seasons while these youngsters develop and try to stay healthy. Not going to happen.

So right now Melo seems expendable. Now imagine if we somehow make the playoffs. Who do you think guys like Grant and KP or others unfamiliar with the postseason will be looking to for leadership and guidance? Yep Melo.

All good teams have an optimal mix of youngsters and vets. We're just getting a taste of it. When else did we have a young draft pick with such potential paired with a viable vet? I think it's better to see how far we can get with this mix before breaking it ip.
The Mecca of Mess
washingtonparkjones

washingtonparkjones

KnicksFanInSouthFL

^^^
You're entitled to your opinion...

But I bet Phil has been on the phone with potential suitors since Melo signed his contract. After all its business, it's never personal.
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Why do you think so lowly of me? I'm simply playing devils advocate, here... :?
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, it's a valid question and should be an interesting thread. Just calling a spade a spade before I responded to it at face value.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1121

Don Che wrote: I'm not sure if there is a "system" or a player in the NBA in the past 30 years that won a ring holding the ball and taking shots wrecklessly ...
Red

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
You're entitled to your opinion...

But I bet Phil has been on the phone with potential suitors since Melo signed his contract. After all its business, it's never personal.
So shoot some names by us from potential suitors that match contract wise. Cousins comes to mind.. so does D Rose. Now who do you think Phisher would value more of those?

I say Melo. Cousins maybe without the headache and Rose with better knees and a reliable jumper perhaps but I'd say there are only a few realistic trades Phisher would accept when it's said and done.

Maybe a multi player multi team deal? I don't think you can get the value for Melo realistically. He's either too expensive or not good enough or both.

And if Putback P can hit his jumpers more consistent then him and Melo will be devastating.
The Mecca of Mess
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

way too soon, the fact that we've had success against an extremely tough opening schedule and melo has begun to find his rhythm makes such a decision premature. you give this roster the full season to achieve something and re-evaluate this summer. kp is improving every game as red noted, could be the start of a devastating combo, why break it up now? the ship ain't sinking...
rebound
Likes given: 1102

nah for all melo's faults, you are not trading him for a better player. melo is not shutting out porzingis.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
noypi
Likes given: 24

inb4 Stressin and vino92

:popcorn:
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
Don Che

Kobe is also a hell of a Passer and absurd defender in those championship years .

Melo really isn't that mold...he should be living on the block