2017 NBA free agency thread

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

I think it's a real mistake to pay too much attention to the big 3 of pts. rebs. and assists for THJ or really any wing. His primary value is to spread the floor on offense, be the first guy down the floor when there's a fast break, and close down opposing 3 point shooters. THJ isn't being paid for what he is, but for what he can become and how that ripples thgrough the rest of the team. It's the New Economy and he has the most in demand skill set. If every team is going to pick and roll you need three 3 and D guys around them to most effectively spread the floor. Those 3 guys need to be able to switch on either the point guard or the roll man on defense. THJ checks those boxes now and probably will for the next 4 seasons. All he needs to do is bump his open 3 point percentage up to 34+, work on his drive and jumper, and pick up enough strength to box out bigs on a switch.

If yopu want to blame someone, Khris Middleton seems like the most obvious culprit. His 70 million over 5 years by the usually cost conscious bucks really set the stage for what players with that skill set and in that situation were going to demand. Khris, THJ, KCP, and Otto Porter Jr.are like centers from 1999-2006. In an era when the dominant teams had dominant big men, every team had to have 1 star and several reliable backup bugs to have a chance against Shaq, Ben Wallace, and Duncan. So players like Jerome James and Andris Biedrins got signed to big money deals. Now almost every team is thinking about the Warriors small ball death lineup and how to counter it.

The one team that seems to have skewed this model so far is the Hornets. They've added Monk, MCW, and Howard this offseason. They'll keep it simple with Walker and Monk as the designated scorer and then just relish beating up the other teams on the defensive end, with MCW, MKG, Harrison, Batum, and Howard all as plus defenders. That team more than any other seems designed to snuff out the easy points that pace and space is supposed to provide and force teams to run isolations against plus defenders.
Randle in the Rafters
gradyandrew

While trying to explain free agency to my mom, I hit upon the truth of the NBA- that if you can't win the championship, the next best outcome is usually the number one pick. And those are the glasses I look at free agency with, which teams are already throwing in the towel and shooting for that number one pick(0), which ones need to make the playoffs to show that things are improving to resign a star looking to win or attract someone else(1), and which teams are the top 8 or so all in for the next season in case Steph lands on Kevin in an exhibition game and they both break their legs (2).

0 Atlanta Hawks- Tanking, big time, trading Howard for Plumlee will be a huge help to land the pick. Is Budenholzer still calling the shots or has the ownership group poisoned the golden goose?

2 Boston Celtics- All in. Bradley and IT are best friends, right? Don't be surprised if IT is traded before his big payday

0 Brooklyn Nets- A basketball atrocity, cursed to the third generation. They used up all their cap space to collect late first round picks and Russell when they could have been fielding a decent team of free agents. Please make Lin the face of the franchise!

1 Charlotte Hornets- I think they will be a second round team but if they don't make the playoffs it will be time for a regime change.

0 Chicago Bulls- Robin Lopez probably didn't have this future in mind when he joked about living under the stairs in his brother's house when he signed in New York.

2 Cleveland Cavaliers- after Griffin was fired no one was left to make the aggressive moves they needed to have a chance vs the Warriors (getting DMC)

1 Dallas Mavericks- it's impossible to imagine this team ever tanking, and if you squint yogi, seth, wesley, barnes, noel- hell that's an nba champion lineup in 3 years!

1 Denver Nuggets- I guess Salt Lake City is pretty high too so Millsap should be used to running around in that altitude. But still, I wouldn't consider him swift of foot and there's usually a lot of running up there.

1 Detroit Pistons- SVG cemented his "Car Talk" persona by trading for Bradley and then rescinding the KCP offer in probably the sanest move of the offseason. KCP might develop into the superior player, but pigs might also fly if...

2 Golden State Warriors- if the NBA was a monopoly game, and all the GMs were players, and if I was a GM, the sequence of events that led the finals MVP to accept a massive pay cut in order to plug the only hole in their rotation, bench wing players in Nick Young and Omri Casspi, would be the point when I flip the board, sending hotels, houses, and pieces everywhere and scream at Bob Myers "This is fucking bullshit" before leaving the room.

2 Houston Rockets- Do they really need Carmelo? Doesn't that trio of Gordon, Ariza, and Anderson win more games than Melo?

1 Indiana Pacers- Isn't our perception of Paul George more of who he was than who he is, 140 dunks the two seasons pre injury and 63 in the two seasons post. Pacers made a good sell high move. Oladipo, Collison, Corey Joseph, the Pacers just don't know how to tank.

1 LA Clippers- Will the stars ever align again like they did during those 48 hours between the Clippers announcing the CP trade and the Bulls waiting to buy out Rondo. Doc hooked up Glen, Jeff, Paul the whole crew with phat contracts of Microsoft money, but Rondo who was the real star of the show couldn't get any love. Milos Teodosic? Really Doc? I really hope Rondo keeps a long list of names for just such occasions.

0 Los Angeles Lakers- Magic has perfected the left handed compliment from his days as an analyst. "We'd love to have X player but only on a one year contract." "Come over for lunch, but GTFO by dinner"

1 Memphis Grizzlies- It's getting a little weird right? Joerger goes to Sacramento, then ZBO and Vince. Tony Allen is still unsigned. How many times next season are Mike and Marc going to say, "Remember that time Zach..." and then kind of trail off when they realize everyone else on the team bus wasn't there that time Zach laughed so hard Gatorade shot out his nose.

1 Miami Heat- Goran, Dion, Tyler, Kelly, Justice, Hassan, I don't know, it might be my bias that I hate Pat Riley and everything he stands for, that's a 50-50 team every year. Maybe they trade for Melo and get Wade post buy out, none of those guys are bringing it in the playoffs.

1 Milwaukee Bucks- I bet they really, really wish that they weren't still paying Larry Sanders 5 million. They could have Derrick Rose. Former MVP- Derrick Rose! Instead, well I guess Larry Sanders has really grown as a person since the buyout, so hopefully that gives Jason Kidd and the hedge fund manager owners some measure of happiness when they reflect how this team is still one scorer short of being a real playoff threat.

1 Minnesota Timberwolves- YES! Get this man a bacon cheeseburger! A double bacon cheeseburger! With Fries and a MILK SHAKE! All-in Thibs! Question: Is David Wiggins a Caeser Salad in this scenario? Does Thibs maybe want to trade it in for a Carmelo Bar?

? New Orleans Pelicans- Seriously, what the hell is going on here? Do they take the summer off? That's all you're going to do is resign Holiday? What's the deal with Alvin Gentry? Is he a good coach? What's the plan with this team? You have 105 million dollars tied up over the next 3 seasons in Solomon Hill, Omer Asik, Alexis Ajinca, and E'Twaun Moore. I thought the THJ deal was bad but damn. Now I understand why they keep such a low profile. They have two of the top ten players in the NBA and they will somehow miss the playoffs again this year. It's just a rumour, but I read that Chris Paul was involved with a beautiful voodoo queen when he was the point guard in New Orleans and she would grant his wish to move to Los Angeles but only if he agreed that his old franchise would never win another playoff game until he retired. After he was traded to the Lakers he ran to her mansion and consumated their relationship. After waking up the next day, the queen's true nature was revealed- that of a 300 year old witch. You can imagine CP's chagrin when the trade was cancelled and he was instead sent to the Donald Sterling Clippers. Apparently Daryl Morey isn't afraid of the curse- I think it has something to do with the wide availability of both BBQ and strip clubs in Houston.

0 New York Knicks- You don't need a point guard. I'm serious, you don't need a point guard. It's just dribbling the ball. A lot of people can dribble the ball. KP can. THJ can. Frank Nitiklinka can. Ron Baker can. Like I was saying, you don't need a point guard.

2 Oklahoma City Thunder- Yes! Sam Presti never loses! We totally want to go all in for Paul George and it has nothing to do at all with getting out of paying Victor Oladipo 80 million dollars. Absolutely nothing, and I'll spot you a rookie contract to prove it.

0 Orlando Magic- There's some NBA teams whose plans sound like a fat woman going on and on about her new diet. And you listen politely but you know, you just know it she'll never lose weight. I'm sorry Orlando.

0 Philadelphia 76ers- again, greedy motherfuckers! 23 million for JJ Reddick! They are still pulling this process bullshit four years in now. After all these years, they're still shooting for a lottery pick? If I were the Pacers and Grizzlies, two franchises that always try their hardest for the reward of a first round playoff exit, I'd really be up to here with the 76ers flipping picks for more picks and then more picks. What I'd do is wait for the 76ers to go to the men's restroom after the draft and then give them swirlies in a used toilet.

0 Phoenix Suns- "Last Man Standing" An original playlet starring: Tyson Chandler, Rookie Derrick Jones, and Jared Dudley
Tyson: So that's why when we switch in those situations it's important for you to keep an eye on not only the shooters in the corner but also the guy just above him.
Derrick: Thanks, pops. ummm, I mean thanks for the help.
Tyson: No problem, call me Tyson. (Tyson walks away)
Derrick: (loudly) Uh, Thanks Tyson. (muttering, quietly as he walks back to his locker) Why is pops always telling me where to go what to do on defense?
Jared: Excuse me?
Derrick: Oh, nothing.
Jared: It didn't sound like nothing. Remember what I told you- we're teammates. And teammates-
Derrick: Teammates talk. I know man. It's just Pops- why is he always getting on me about defense? What does he know about playing defense?
Jared: You'd be surprised.
Derrick: What do you mean? That old timer's time is past.
Jared: Well, that 'old timer' used to be the defensive player of the year.
Derrick (eyes wide): Defensive Player of the Year! When?
Jared: In 2012. He won a championship way back in 2011.
Derrick: I was just a kid, man. I didn't know. I didn't know.
Fin

1 Portland Trail Blazers I can imagine them being really itchy and irritable right now. Everyone is making trades, signing players, leaking rumors, and the wheeling dealing Trail Blazers are crapped out. Next time someone gives Steve Mills shit about paying THJ 17 million next year he should say "It's 1 million less than Crabbe gets!" End of conversation.

0 Sacramento Kings- There's actually a lab buried a mile below Sacramento where scientists have successfully cloned a mutant Marc Gasol- with improved motor skills, strength, stamina and (important for roster stability) total immunity from pain or damage as long as the cerebellum remains intact. This summer's task list- Does mutant Marc recognize David Joerger and continue to obey his instructions? What about Vince, Zach, Kostas? Can he communicate on picks and rolls using grunts now that he apparently has no power of speech? How should the front office deal with possible media fall out from mutant Marc's diet thus far seeming to consist entirely of the brains of various mammalian species, with a strong preference towards species from the primate family?

2 San Antonio Spurs- Woah! That was pretty un- Spursian when LaMarcia started to holler about being traded. I kind of got that vibe. That he felt underapprecaied when he went 10-15 from the field. C'mom LaMarcus- that's all you do! Then word leaked that Denny Green was being shopped. I was for sure George Hill was coming aboard. I read he had a house in San Ant and practiced in the off season with the Spurs. Did Pop low ball him? I don't know. He dropped out and signed with Sacramento. It seemed like there was finally going to be turmoil in Spurs land and then Rudy Gay, surprisingly a top ten guy in real defensive plus or minus for smal lforwards, signs on a cheapo deal. 30 years old, spreads the floor, hungry to win. The Spurs have their own game plan. Just wait and see which players get desperate for winning and then make a move. Let the Knicks pay twice the price for half the player.

2 Toronto Raptors- You can't put lipstick on a pig and there was no way that Demarre Carrol deal was ever going to work out. For perspective he was 27th in defensive plus or minus for small forwards- way, way worse than Rudy Gay. And now, the cost of that mistake is one year's worth of draft picks. Sometimes people get food stuck in their teeth and you think, is it more embarassing if I say something or don't say anything. It's more embarassing if you don't say anythiing. So here it goes- Ibaka isn't very good and you guys are idiots for not prioritzing the development of Valanciunas. The Raptors look like the strong candidates to fall out of the playoffs and into the draft lottery. It looked like most of that team wanted to get on vacation last season. Maybe now that Lowry got the to bring the Brinks this team falls apart.

1 Utah Jazz- If anyone is going to beat down the 76ers in the bathroom, it's the Jazz. They get lucky, really lucky on two draft picks in the last 20 years and both guys bail. At least they got Derrick Favors when Deron left. This time they got exactly jack shit for Gordon. Oh, Ingles, I forgot they got Ingles. You'd think Mormon girls would be cool if you had a bunch of girlfriends, but apparently the Boston college scene won out. I get that. Malia is going to Harvard, right? One time I invited a girl over for dinner at my apartment, made pasta, garlic bread, and opened a bottle of wine. The girl never came. In that scenario, Ingles is the garlic bread- delicious but I really didn't want to eat a whole loaf by myself.

2 Washington Wizards- I honestly believe Amare was about 10% less effective because of those glasses. He was always fiddling with them and always a half step behind as a result. I mention this because Otto Porter Jr. wears glasses. Are these guys getting much better? At what time does management decide to go all in and trade for Melo? That's not even really their problem, its Jason Smith and Ian Mahimi clogging up their cap. Those are the kinds of deals Steve Mills is looking at, Ian Mahimi and Jason Smith for Carmelo. He'll get traded, but just for what no one knows.

0 ATL, BKN, CHI, LAL, NYK, ORL, PHI, PHO, SAC- 9 teams, already heading to the tank

1 CHA, DAL, DEN, DET IND, LAC, MEM, MIA, MIL, MIN, POR, UTA- 12 teams, looking to win

2 BOS, CLE, GSW, HOU, OKC, SAN, TOR, WAS- 8 teams aiming for the Finals

? Wasn't that cute when Phil called KP a unicorn? NOP have two! What basketball skill are Davis and Cousins deficient in? Inside- outside, offense- defense on the break in the half court. Isn't Gentry supposed to be an offensive genius? Can he please figure this out. The Knicks could swing Lee and Melo for Hill, Moore, Ajinca, Asik, and Pointdexter. That would be one of the best tank manouvers since Patton at the Kasserine Pass.
Randle in the Rafters
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Caldwell-Pope signing for 18 for one season with the Lakers. Now let's see how Timmy at 16.5 compares to Caldwell-Pope at 18 next season. I like Timmy's chances, but will keep my eyes open to see whether I sleep on KCP.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1996 ... les-lakers
#knickstape
Boston_PuppyDawg

Free agent Ersan Ilyasova has agreed to a one-year, $6M deal with the Atlanta Hawks, league sources tell The Vertical.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Free agent Jonas Jerebko has agreed to a two-year, $8.2M deal with Utah, league source tells ESPN.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Free agent Ersan Ilyasova has agreed to a one-year, $6M deal with the Atlanta Hawks, league sources tell The Vertical.
That's solid value.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

spree#8 wrote:Caldwell-Pope signing for 18 for one season with the Lakers. Now let's see how Timmy at 16.5 compares to Caldwell-Pope at 18 next season. I like Timmy's chances, but will keep my eyes open to see whether I sleep on KCP.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1996 ... les-lakers
Thats a great deal though. I think moreso than the dollar amount with the knicks, its the length of time, the trade kickers. The Knicks don't just pay, we make players untradeable. I wouldve rather give Timmy 20mil once than be stuck paying 17 committed for the next 4. Why are we so desperate.

At least if KCP fails or just performs as we know him, a team will still say "ill trade for his expiring contract". Tim will never leave the Knicks. Let's hope we never want him to.
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Trade kickers and player options are the "hot" deal pieces that the Knicks can't resist offering, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they keep giving them to players that have no business getting them.

Negotiating against yourself - NYK tradition.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Boston_PuppyDawg

Pelicans officials are meeting with Rajon Rondo today in Louisville about a possible one-year deal, league sources tell ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Sources on ESPN: Spurs, Simmons working on a deal; Spurs signing Euroleague guard Brandon Paul. https://t.co/OFEm7WcWTx
Boston_PuppyDawg

Free agent Jonathon Simmons is talking to several teams on the market now, league sources tell ESPN. No assurance he returns to Spurs.
gradyandrew

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Free agent Jonathon Simmons is talking to several teams on the market now, league sources tell ESPN. No assurance he returns to Spurs.
I don't get this. Aldridge and Green have their nuts handed to them in a bag by the Warriors while Simmons is the only guy to show up for the series, yet somehow he's the one getting shipped out of town. Maybe too much one on one by Simmons so Pop doesn't want him back? It seems pretty shitty for Simmons with 90% of FA money gone that now he gets to look for a new team.
Randle in the Rafters
spree#8
Likes given: 540

gradyandrew wrote:
I don't get this. Aldridge and Green have their nuts handed to them in a bag by the Warriors while Simmons is the only guy to show up for the series, yet somehow he's the one getting shipped out of town. Maybe too much one on one by Simmons so Pop doesn't want him back? It seems pretty shitty for Simmons with 90% of FA money gone that now he gets to look for a new team.
28 years old by the start of next season and hasn't done anything over an extended time-span (i.e. regular season) yet. Remember Jerome James? Not saying that Simmons won't be more useful, but he also hasn't much upside anymore.
#knickstape
Boston_PuppyDawg

Spurs free agent Jonathon Simmons has agreed to a three-year deal with the Orlando Magic, league sources tell The Vertical.
gradyandrew

Simmons gets 20 million over 3 years from Orlando two days after he learns the Spurs don't need him. It's always hard to tell based on a single playoff series, but it definitely felt like sans Simmons the Spurs don't score 60 points a game in the WCF. And for a guy to be held off the market so long as a RFA probably cost him a few million dollars. Vogel will have his work cut out for him, I think if he wants to win games he'll put the ball in simmons hands and not in fournier and payton. Management probably wants to develop talent but Simmons will be the best player on that team.
Randle in the Rafters
Boston_PuppyDawg

Free agent Rajon Rondo has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, league sources tell The Vertical.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Derrick Rose is in serious talks with the Cavs on a 1-year deal, sources tell @wojespn and me.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1122

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Derrick Rose is in serious talks with the Cavs on a 1-year deal, sources tell @wojespn and me.
Ingus

The most the Cavs can offer Rose is $2.5 million. That would be quite a drop in salary. Then again, Rose wants to win a ring.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1122

What is more interesting now is that Kyrie Irving wants to leave........and this comes after the news of D-Rose wanting to go to Cleveland.

Hmmm.......