KYRIE TO THE Celtics

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Oh shit via woj Thoms crowder and more
Fxck Adam Silver
taowave
Likes given: 817

Looks like all of Watchers hopes are being dashed..
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Being fully objective here but this couldn't be anymore perfect for both teams. I actualy enjoy this trade from the standpoint where itd be the first time since maybe the 1990s where Ive seen a trade that works for both teams, where the goal for both teams is to be better "on thr court" after the trade was over. Not since the early 90s. Since the year 2000, Ive not seen a blockbuster trade where one team isnt happy rebuilding and sucking, while the other expects to take a step forward. In this case a step forward happens for both teams.

For the Celtics truth is they got a ton of young players.... and then Isaiah Thomas. Kyrie is a very productive player, closer in age to the players they got and will still get. And by giving up thier best player and a solid role player they really didn't have to include thier youngest players and draft picks. Losing Crowder/Thomas and Bradley in one summer is a huge risk but Haywood and Kyrie are around the same age and they got a team of bonafide lottery studs drafted in the last 3 years with more coming in the next two drafts. I still don't think Kyrie is all that but I never said he wasnt talented, and if thier system let Isiah be himself and win, it could do the same for Kyrie

For Cleveland they probably improve. Isiah is just as good or better than Kyrie is and more mature a player. Obviously with that maturity comes a shorter window but Cleveland isnt concerned with windows, theyre concerned with the Warriors and if Kyrie wasnt down with him then good riddance. Along with him comes Iman Shumpert on steroids. Everybody knows what Crowder do. Proportionatley hes probably way more of an upgrade over whoever he'll replace at SF than Isiah is over Kyrie, but thats why its a good thing.

The Celtics were never gonna beat Lebron. It was better to think of the future while still probably going lateral in terms of expectations
Last edited by nazrmohamed on August 22nd, 2017, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

taowave wrote:Looks like all of Watchers hopes are being dashed..
haha, Ainge the wildcard over-payed badly!!! fck the celtics, I wonder if Thomas' hip is still gimpy.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

I was reading the headlines and was all on board til I saw the nets pick. That's nuts !
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Commented already in the NBA trades thread, so here only the Knicks related stuff:
spree#8 wrote:...

Good and bad for us: good because a) we couldn't have afforded such a steep price and b) the Irving situation might have been a hold-up for the Melo situation, but also bad, because Irving's timeline fits better with the young core the Celtics are building, so they could stay even longer relevant.
#knickstape
nazrmohamed

H20Knick wrote:I was reading the headlines and was all on board til I saw the nets pick. That's nuts !
Yeah just saw that. Thats crazy. But hey, thats what happens when you stay the course in a rebuild and hold on to your draft picks. Yeah I get they gave up one but they had like 3. Essentially now including this pick I didn't know about, theyve overpaid yet it don't matter cuz they could've afforded to overpay. They would-be overpaid for Isiah and Crowder or lost them entirely in FA anyway.

Less brilliant but still awesome trade in my opinion. Cleveland did a great job and Im perfectly fine with the Knicks not being involved.
taowave
Likes given: 817

It better be hurting....Thomas,Crowder and the Nets unprotected pick??

It's not like a healthy Thomas is a slouch

thewatcher wrote:haha, Ainge the wildcard over-payed badly!!! fck the celtics, I wonder if Thomas' hip is still gimpy.
Last edited by taowave on August 22nd, 2017, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Celts might be taking 1 step backwards this season with so many new faces, but they are primed for the '18 season. Good trade for both teams.
Championship 16/17
Likes given: 0

I think Boston's management is genius, I'm happy for them for having a vision and executing that vision. They are headed in the right direction, and starting the 2018/2019 season they will represent the eastern conference in the finals. What I love most about this is Boston is marching to their own beat, everyone will soon realize what a juggernaut they will be if they continue this trend.
nazrmohamed

Championship 16/17 wrote:I think Boston's management is genius, I'm happy for them for having a vision and executing that vision. They are headed in the right direction, and starting the 2018/2019 season they will represent the eastern conference in the finals. What I love most about this is Boston is marching to their own beat, everyone will soon realize what a juggernaut they will be if they continue this trend.
Me too. I don't even think success for them should measured on beating the Cavs. The Celtics were never beating a LeBron led Cavs team. This move keeps them in the hunt yet putting them in the best position to be a powerhouse for the next 8 yrs, rather than maybe 4
Championship 16/17

nazrmohamed wrote:
Yeah just saw that. Thats crazy. But hey, thats what happens when you stay the course in a rebuild and hold on to your draft picks. Yeah I get they gave up one but they had like 3. Essentially now including this pick I didn't know about, theyve overpaid yet it don't matter cuz they could've afforded to overpay. They would-be overpaid for Isiah and Crowder or lost them entirely in FA anyway.

Less brilliant but still awesome trade in my opinion. Cleveland did a great job and Im perfectly fine with the Knicks not being involved.
I don't think they overpaid for Kyrie Irving, I think they just realized he is the real deal and valued him more. I remember Charles Barkley saying you don't give the max to Isaiah Thomas, and I agree b/ c he isn't that good, you now give the cavs a fake star to give the max too who will regret it later.

The knicks should of valued him more. Most knicks fans wanted to trade Melo and a 1st round pick for Kyrie, but let's ask ourselves if that's better than the deal Boston offered. I would say hell no. This kid wanted to come home, but we didn't value a 25 year old of PG who has proven he can play on the highest level. I hope he torches the Knicks so everyone can wake up and see what you missed out on.

The Celtics are on their way, you wait and see. I'm predicting now that Brad Stevens wins coach of the year. I'm also predicting another bold moved from the Celtics by the trade deadline to get an all-star PF or Center. You heard it here first :D They just might represent the East this year in the finals, the Cavs will regret trading Irving to a rival.
Nononsense

I think the Celtics are making a mistake. Disrupting the harmony of their team will come back to bite them if you ask me. They had the best record in the east and a lock for nothing short of the ECF this year. Moving forward, they were only going to get better while the Cavs implode with Irving wanting out, LeBron threatening to leave next summer, and Love being the stepchild. The Celtics should've either stood pat or at most just tweaked things a bit.

After this upcoming season, the East would be theirs. You may say, "The East will still be theirs." Perhaps, but they've took steps backward in terms of chemistry, cohesion, and especially defense. They've traded away the heart and sole of their team in IT. Call me crazy, but I prefer him over Kyrie for that squad. They've also lost two critical defenders this summer in Crowder & Bradley. To top it off, they also surrendered an unprotected first round draft pick in the process. If that's not enough to convince you that this deal is a mistake, consider this: Kyrie can bolt in a couple of years to go to one of the teams he expressed an interest in upon demanding a trade.
Starbury3

Can someone tell me why this makes sense for the Celtics?
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

Starbury3 wrote:Can someone tell me why this makes sense for the Celtics?
I think they really overpaid (by including the Nets pick) but Howard/Irving now and then Brown/Tatum coming up is a pretty nice core. They're setting themselves up to be either a perennial second round/conference finals team or a position where they can make a move for another star to put alongside Irving/Hayward in the next 2-3 years.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

nazrmohamed wrote:For the Celtics truth is they got a ton of young players and future picks.... and then Isaiah Thomas. Kyrie is a very productive player, closer in age to the players they got and will still get. And by giving up thier best player and a solid role player they really didn't have to include thier youngest players and they have more picks coming in anyway. Losing Crowder/Thomas and Bradley in one summer is a huge risk but Haywood and Kyrie are around the same age and they got a team of bonafide lottery studs drafted in the last 3 years with more coming in the next two drafts. I still don't think Kyrie is all that but I never said he wasnt talented, and if thier system let Isiah be himself and win, it could do the same for Kyrie
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Here is to hoping that Zizic ends up being a hall of famer 8-)
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1122

Watch Lebron turn Zizic into the new Timmy Mozgov..........I have an inner gut feeling it'll happen.
KRL

Can't deny BOS got more talented this summer with Hayward, Irving & Tatum but they
gave up a ton of defense. Bradley and Crowder were part of their defensive foundation
which is no longer there
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

We all knew Jae Crowder was finished in Boston after he failed to have any impact offensively/defensively against Cleveland in the ECFs. The writing for JB to replace him was on the wall.

But it says a lot to me that Boston didn't go all in for Butler and George, but went all in for Irving. No one should know more about those guys than Boston (except maybe cleveland, who share their division). They faced Butler in the first round, they've been playing against PG for years, but they only came off all of those assets for Irving... :hmm: Part of it of course had to do with Gordon Hayward being their guy and him playing a similar position to PG and Butler, part of it had to do with taking away Lebron's clean up guy, but assuredly there are people in Boston's front heralded front office who think extremely highly of kyrie.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION