2017-2018 Tank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

if we are in the top 5, then we will get a really good talent; doncic, porter and bagley are all pretty good. bamba and ayton are pretty tantalizing, but they play the 5, we need a swing. jarred vanderbilt looks pretty interesting, will be playing for kentucky, looks like he has a lot of lamar odom in him (in a good way); a long and athletic 6'9" lefty wing with good handle and passing skills.
PistolPete
Likes given: 5

This past draft was loaded with PG's and next year's is loaded with Centers.
Damn it feels good to be a tankster.
Stressin
Likes given: 0

In 2014 offseason we gave Melo a 5 yr contract worth $124M .. In return Melo gave us 3 consecutive season of TANKING!
shakespeare

H20Knick wrote:and so it begins!
#TeamTank
shakespeare

So who does everyone like at this point?

So far, I see Doncic and Porter and Ayton mentioned on the forum.

But you know whose game I like a lot? Miles Bridges https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep. ... /584926001

That said, no way I'd draft him with one of the Top 5 picks, although he'll be productive in the league.
#TeamTank
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

[quote="shakespeare"]
bridges is an excellent consolation prize if we somehow fall out of the top 5..

stat geek inside me wants doncic

heart wants MPJ. I've wanted him in this draft since the first mocks for 2018 came out 2 years ago.

So many guys have had MPJ level hype in high school and bombed though (shabazz muhammad and harrison barnes come to mind first). Ask me again in march. I KNOW doncic can ball. There's no risk there and I like that. He's a little slow and I don't know if he'll ever be a plus defender, but I can hide that with other players.

A Doncic/Bagley combo would work pretty damn well I think. For the sake of the wellbeing of those closest to me, I will refrain from posting how we could make that possible.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... -prospects

It's really the draft we've been waiting for. Last one had the depth, but there are 4 guys in this one who people have been projecting to be studs since 2015 lol. TANK TANK TANK.
(although now i just rekindled my anger over not drafting dsj)
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
shakespeare

H20Knick wrote:It's really the draft we've been waiting for.
Damn skippy and I'm excited.

It's almost like New York is headed to the NBA Finals.

Not sure who's early fave, but Ayton sounds intriguing.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Good read, so amazing how the article was written in '15 before many of the players listed were household names. Once again, a lot of young talent set to enter the league.
#TeamTank
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

I really like Deandre Ayton. Plus defender with a developing offensive skillset that could maje him generational talent. The perfect C next to KP. Someone will remind me of how many C we have. Im looking for the RIGHT C. Ayton should be better than Noah in his prime. He hedges screens, is a paint intimidator and leaves KP free to roam and give that help side shit blocking he does so well.

Another guy if your so determined to see KP at C is Jaren Jackson. A 6'11 athletic PF much in the role of Chris Bosh. Modern in the fact that he has range but traditional enough to get in the post. Actually reminds me a bit of Jonathan Bender moreso than Bosh now that I think of it. Probably alittle more smooth than as fast twitch explosive like Bosh. But you'd still essentially have a twin towers with two guys who can shoot which I think will be the new fad once these two mature.

I still thibk we got alot of work to do to trade off players for draft opportunities, especially Cs
KRL

If Porzingis & Ntilikina are going to be this "soft" where every game they sit out because of a boo-boo
this year will be beyond awful. They're 22 and under and can't shake off some soreness??? Have these
two ever heard of Aspercreme??? You can't create a young, athletic team if these two are forever on
the bench in suits. If Porzingis can't be on the floor for at least 72 games this year I hope Mills/Perry
look to trade him for a lottery pick before the draft
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

KRL wrote:If Porzingis & Ntilikina are going to be this "soft" where every game they sit out because of a boo-boo
this year will be beyond awful. They're 22 and under and can't shake off some soreness??? Have these
two ever heard of Aspercreme??? You can't create a young, athletic team if these two are forever on
the bench in suits. If Porzingis can't be on the floor for at least 72 games this year I hope Mills/Perry
goooooooooooooooooood. goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

KRL wrote:If Porzingis & Ntilikina are going to be this "soft" where every game they sit out because of a boo-boo
why should they risk aggravating their injury in preseason games?

plus, didn't you hear? we are trying to copycat philly
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave
Likes given: 844

Well,Phil was entertaining offers for the unicorn..

NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

why we should tank until 2020 (3 seasons to go)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2097 ... -draft-nba
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
spree#8
Likes given: 547

Embiid being in street clothes for two full years and Simmons for one is the only reason the Sixers have Embiid, Simmons and Fultz now (needing the third pick to have a chance to move up), so I have no idea why you are bothered that our two young guys don't suit up for pre-season games in a season where it is not about wins or losses.
#knickstape
spree#8
Likes given: 547

NewlyKnicked wrote:
why should they risk aggravating their injury in preseason games?

plus, didn't you hear? we are trying to copycat philly
We aren't and we can't, because we will probably never be THAT bad unless something bad (injury wise) happens to one of our guys - which is something no one should hope for - and Porzingis might leave if that's the case. Not comparable to their situation. But as written above, I agree that we can relax in a season like this because basically nothing can go wrong.
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I'm not sure who is the main target for me in this draft. Even if we had the 1st pick.

I like Ayton/Bamba a lot but its not the 90's....the twin towers thing would be hard to do. Bamba atleast can guard on the perimeter also. He seems to move better than Noel but more offense...not the offensive player Thon Maker is but his tools may be better than both.

Doncic: great on offense but i question his defense and being able to finish at the rim.

Overall we need a player that can effect the game outside of scoring. The last thing we need is a guy that doesnt help your team win when hes not dropping 30.

You put 1 or 2 guys like that wit our young core and we'd be legit

I've seen Kidd/Duncan/Lebron win more games scoring under 20 than Melo/Kobe.

they are all great...but those first 3 players are my favorite players in my era.
shakespeare

nazrmohamed wrote:I really like Deandre Ayton.
Same here. Interestingly enough, here's an article where his game is compared to Towns. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... s.amp.html

At a time where I didn't really see what everyone saw in Okafor, I recall how you adamantly felt Towns was the best player in the draft. To me, Towns was Pervis Ellison; multi-talented, but didn't always display that much-needed fire on the court. Maybe it's true that Kevin Garnett lit a fire in KAT.

I liked Mudiay and still do. I liked his ceiling, but unfortunately it may take some time for him to reach it, if he ever does. Mudiay's day are numbered in Denver. To me, he should focus on being the past-first, hard-nosed defensive playmaker that his skills say he can become.

But yeah, barring injury, Ayton will go in the Top 3.

Porter is intriguing, too, although he's compared to Danilo Gallinari.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Don Che wrote:
Overall we need a player that can effect the game outside of scoring.
I couldn't agree more. And this is the reason I'm sold on Miles Bridges. But not at pick 4 and higher, though. If New York selects around 6 or 7, then I'd gladly draft Bridges.

Hernangomez
Porzingis
Bridges
Hardaway
Ntili

I can't see New York resigning Kanter and McDermott; to me, the Carmelo trade was a salary dump.
#TeamTank
BRIGGS

I know it wont be a sexy pick but its the same guy I wouldve traded down for a bit last year if he came in--Jalen Brunson. I want to see his 3 pt % go up this year but this guy is radically undervalued. Obviously there is a boatload of time to see what is what. With our high Chicago 2 Im keeping my eyes on Ky Bowman from BC.