Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Yeh prior to the 2000's PGs usually took time to develop.

John Stockton barely played for 2 years....and played 3-4 years of college...and STILL is 1 in assists and steals

if he played today he'd be traded twice before his 3rd year and sent to a team that would draft a PG ahead of him in the process.

Teams dont know how to invest in their talent anymore...out of 30 teams id say 5 are good at it....and awkwardly..i think we are one of them as of late.
taowave
Likes given: 817

Dude was cautious because he was close to 50 :happy:

And I distinctly remember Prigs going to the hoop and throwing the ball over the backboard..

In his case,he couldn't be too cautious

Nononsense wrote: I have, and he wore a Knick uniform. You must be forgetting about our beloved Pablo Prigioni. He was the exact same way at the point. Good defender who always looked to get his teammates involved first, almost to a fault. It's a better problem to have than a hot-headed, score-first pg. I think his offense will come around eventually though. So I'm not worried.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

Nononsense wrote: I have, and he wore a Knick uniform. You must be forgetting about our beloved Pablo Prigioni. He was the exact same way at the point. Good defender who always looked to get his teammates involved first, almost to a fault. It's a better problem to have than a hot-headed, score-first pg. I think his offense will come around eventually though. So I'm not worried.
Good lord I still remember that one time where Pablo had an open layup on the fast break........only to turn around and make a foolish (almost turnover) pass to a "lucky" trailing JR Smith to deliver the fastbreak dunk.

If Pablo's foolish pass DID NOT result in JR Smith's hands, the entire forum would've been ready to shred the old guy into pieces at that point.
taowave

I remember that play as well..almost fell out of my seat..but it was nothing compared to that time he tried to finish on the break and literally threw the ball over the back board
big_j_NY wrote:
Good lord I still remember that one time where Pablo had an open layup on the fast break........only to turn around and make a foolish (almost turnover) pass to a "lucky" trailing JR Smith to deliver the fastbreak dunk.

If Pablo's foolish pass DID NOT result in JR Smith's hands, the entire forum would've been ready to shred the old guy into pieces at that point.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Steve Nash had a lower usage rate in his rookie season than Ntilikina. So nothing to fuzz about now when it was expected to take Ntilikina's offense time to catch up.
#knickstape
Koopa Troopa
Likes given: 0

spree#8 wrote:Steve Nash had a lower usage rate in his rookie season than Ntilikina. So nothing to fuzz about now when it was expected to take Ntilikina's offense time to catch up.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. :drunk:

At 19 years old he lacks explosiveness and speed. You aint gonna get that with age. Unless he develops a post up game he isnt gonna be a very good NBA guard.
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

The negativity is about what I expected. Frank's basketball IQ has shown despite him being a rookie and lacking confidence, maybe even ahead of schedule to me. I expect to see him have a consistently balanced shot selection by the end of december. He needs to work on rookie fouls but he's adjusting and he's shone how he'll be special. Once the team embraces the tank he'll be able to get more extended minutes with KP and the starters and hit his stride on both ends of the floor by the end of the season.

All according to plan, relax.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
spree#8
Likes given: 540

spree#8 wrote:Steve Nash had a lower usage rate in his rookie season than Ntilikina. So nothing to fuzz about now when it was expected to take Ntilikina's offense time to catch up.
Koopa Troopa wrote: Whatever helps you sleep at night. :drunk:

At 19 years old he lacks explosiveness and speed. You aint gonna get that with age. Unless he develops a post up game he isnt gonna be a very good NBA guard.
:? My comment was an answer on Tao saying he has never seen a point guard being as cautious. Usage rate is a good stat to look at for this claim.
#knickstape
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Yeah nobody wants to see Frank thrive more than me, and I also would like him to take a bit more chances, but we knew from the start it'd take time and patience. The signs are there, we need to carefully develop this player. No rush
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave

I was referring more to his ridiculously cautious approach to the game.He puts ZERO pressure on the D and refuses to take his man off the dribble..

Is it in his head,or he doesn't have the tools?

spree#8 wrote:
:? My comment was an answer on Tao saying he has never seen a point guard being as cautious. Usage rate is a good stat to look at for this claim.
Don Che

He plays like Malik Sealy in Eddie before he played Gary Payton in the park...hes way docile out there.

I'm gonna just be patient because i like the kid but at this stage he has no presence of mind to carry a team offensively or even hold it together in small spurts.
taowave

I like him too,but hes the tamest 19 y.o. I have ever seen when it comes to the offense..

Dude has no problem pushing and getting into it with 275 pounders,but wont drive to the hoop :?

Don Che wrote:He plays like Malik Sealy in Eddie before he played Gary Payton in the park...hes way docile out there.

I'm gonna just be patient because i like the kid but at this stage he has no presence of mind to carry a team offensively or even hold it together in small spurts.
Don Che

yeh he's a hard player to guage or predict really.

He could be MCW/Mardy Collins or Gary Payton and I wouldnt be surprised lol
taowave

Payton is the guy who I could see Frank becoming if we are lucky.

On a similar note,don't they teach college PG's guys how to shoot?

The rookie class of PG shooting is AWFUL. Supposedly, Lonzo has the worst shooting percentage in the last 20 years.I heard Steven A screaming it,so have to fact check it.
Don Che wrote:yeh he's a hard player to guage or predict really.

He could be MCW/Mardy Collins or Gary Payton and I wouldnt be surprised lol
StevoStarks

I too have to keep reminding myself to be patient and I literally don't care how this team finishes this season. I just want them to play hard and improve.

Frank's improvement has been similar to the ups and downs of a seismograph. It can be frustrating and maddening at times, but as mentioned in this thread - he's a 19 y.o. rookie, playing in the states for the first time, trying to get used to the speed and physicality of the NBA. It's going to take a minute.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Don Che

I just wonder what would happen if Jeff just said.....Frank its your time...pass or fail its your time.

Maybe it would make him relax a bit. Since most of the issues i see is just hesitation. Idc how good of a shooter you are...if you hesitate you wont make a high clip.

I see lonzo rise up with pure confidence.......and miss 3 feet to the left.

Every shot Frank puts up looks like he thought "hes not open, hes not open, hes not open...ok ill shoot it"

Id rather him just rise up and fire, make or miss, win or loss...just mean it.
StevoStarks

Don Che wrote:I just wonder what would happen if Jeff just said.....Frank its your time...pass or fail its your time.

Maybe it would make him relax a bit. Since most of the issues i see is just hesitation. Idc how good of a shooter you are...if you hesitate you wont make a high clip.

Every shot Frank puts up looks like he thought "hes not open, hes not open, hes not open...ok ill shoot it"

I'm hoping that will come as his comfort level increases along with his confidence. He's definitely thinking too much right now, trying to make all the right plays and not picking his spots.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
nbafreak724
Likes given: 0

Don Che wrote:I just wonder what would happen if Jeff just said.....Frank its your time...pass or fail its your time.

StevoStarks wrote: I'm hoping that will come as his comfort level increases along with his confidence. He's definitely thinking too much right now, trying to make all the right plays and not picking his spots.
Agreed, Frankie just needs to relax a bit and let the game come to him on offense. I think if this team continues to slide down the standings, it could be the best thing for him as it will relieve some of that pressure and make him feel more comfortable.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

Finally, Frank is showing signs of developing a post game

thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

^^Exactly BigJ..that was the GREAT take-away from this game!! :happy:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.