It's time to start questioning Perry

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

rebound
Likes given: 1136

Recently Perry commented to the media that the Knicks would not tank and are playing to win.
He has used 3/15 Roster spots on the following veterans:
Jarret Jack - 34 years old
Ramon Sessions - 31 years old
Michael Beasley - Almost 29 years old
One could argue that their ages don't matter as they are under 1 year deals, but it is showing the Knicks are no longer taking on unproven and lesser known players from overseas and the gleague but instead are signing players who are proven to be ineffective. Jack and Sessions should be out of the league based off their recent seasons and Beasley is a NBA journeyman. None of these players have any potential, what they do have a track record that shows they are ineffective players.

But let's look outside of the Knicks and into the Sacramento Kings.
Perry brought in George Hill on a mind boggling $60 mil/3 year contract. Hill is looking like the guard version of Joakim Noah: Old, injury prone, and overpaid.
He spent 12 million on Zach Randolph and also signed Vince Carter. Both these guys are a shell of their former-selves. Even with all that money spent the Kings are headed towards a bottom 5 pick, while declining veterans eat up a significant amount of minutes. Sounds familiar?

Of course a young team needs veterans. Except the Knicks had veterans: Lee, Lance, Noah, O'Quinn.

This might be an overreaction brought on by proven incompetent coach(see Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks 2016-2017) misusing players.
It's still concerning that Perry decided to guy with 2 washed up point guards instead of taking a chance on someone like Trey Burke and his signing of George Hill to an albatross contract.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Don't forget Ron baker overpayment. He needs to sign nba players because this is unacceptable . so much trash on this team

I do wish the knicks went after somebody from a winning franchise like cough sean marks spurs! We looking at the kings managment smh

That's like the jets trying to get better and hiring somebody from Cleveland browns
Fxck Adam Silver
rebound
Likes given: 1136

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Don't forget Ron baker overpayment. He needs to sign nba players because this is unacceptable . so much trash on this team

I do wish the knicks went after somebody from a winning franchise like cough sean marks spurs! We looking at the kings managment smh

That's like the jets trying to get better and hiring somebody from Cleveland browns
Baker looks like a miss. Doesn't seem like he can play point guard and the Knicks have no need for a 2 guard with timmy,lee and dotson. However,
1. Pretty sure he was Steve's miss
2. I'd take a bet on a 24 year old 2nd year player who showed promise.

Brooklyn is doing a great job. Acquire bad contracts along with young players and/or draft picks.

They've bit bitten by the injury bug with Lin and Russell but they have a better overall roster than the Knicks along with a better coach.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Culture is big just look at Boston ainge and stevens.

Rockets morey

Starts at the top Perry has to show us something this offseason

Just look at the clippers doc is a terrible gm
Fxck Adam Silver
spree#8
Likes given: 542

That's how you answer that question, because you want your players and coaches to try to win every game. That's their job. So there is nothing to question Perry about. An executive never says that he would rather lose games than win them. If he does, THEN you could question him because he would give the team a reason to not take their jobs seriously.

If you want to argue that Perry should've put together a roster to compete for the worst record, think twice. How could he have done that? He traded Anthony for two players aged 25 and a pick (fine move) and signed veteran point guards and Beasley. So now you want to say that Sessions, Jack and Beasley are too good players? Doesn't make sense.

If you want to argue, that some veteran players like Lee or O'Quinn should already be traded, think again. Who offers a nice pick for them in the offseason or this early on?

So relax. Perry said exactly what he had to say and he is right that if we somehow make the playoffs (which is very unlikely) that would be great for Porzingis and company. Whether we do that or not, we will be prepared for the draft to add more young players (also something he said).
#knickstape
KRL
Likes given: 0

You guys need to chill on Perry, you do realize he was hired in mid July after
the draft and the Hardaway signing. So basically he hasn't had a draft or
free agency period as the Knick GM yet. He made a couple of minor signings
to fill out the roster and the Melo trade which has been a plus. Let's see
what Perry and his staff do in terms of finding and developing talent before
we run him out of town. This team needs more talent, they seem to be able to
compete against anyone at home but are clueless on the road. As long as:

- Porzingis continues to develop as a franchise player
- Ntilikina continues to grow as a PG
- Hardaway continues to grow as a #2 option
- Kanter establishes himself as our long term center
- Hover around .500

I'll consider this season as successful even if we don't make the playoffs
KRL

spree#8 wrote:That's how you answer that question, because you want your players and coaches to try to win every game. That's their job. So there is nothing to question Perry about. An executive never says that he would rather lose games than win them. If he does, THEN you could question him because he would give the team a reason to not take their jobs seriously.

If you want to argue that Perry should've put together a roster to compete for the worst record, think twice. How could he have done that? He traded Anthony for two players aged 25 and a pick (fine move) and signed veteran point guards and Beasley. So now you want to say that Sessions, Jack and Beasley are too good players? Doesn't make sense.

If you want to argue, that some veteran players like Lee or O'Quinn should already be traded, think again. Who offers a nice pick for them in the offseason or this early on?

So relax. Perry said exactly what he had to say and he is right that if we somehow make the playoffs (which is very unlikely) that would be great for Porzingis and company. Whether we do that or not, we will be prepared for the draft to add more young players (also something he said).
Also as Perry said, if organizations tolerate losing you'll never get that mentality out when you finally want to win.
Just look at the Cleveland Browns the masters of tanking, they accumulate tons of picks are in constant turmoil and
never win
Don Che
Likes given: 9

if this thread was made because Perry didnt say "we will be tanking from hereon out boys"

i think its time for you guys to question yourselves
Koopa Troopa

CTRL+F 'HILL'

Only found in rebounds post. I think its insane you guys just overlook that Perry recently created one of the worst contracts in NBA history. If thats not a red flag then what is? Giving Hill that kind of money shows you have absolutely no eye for talent whatsoever. Its also insane to not look at his 5 years in Orlando. Bismack Biyombos monster contract, trading Sabonis and Oladipo for Ibaka. Fournier 85 million. etc etc. He was assistant GM at the time sure...but that sounds like a terrible assistant :? They did draft Elfrid Peyton during that time so there is one good thing I guess. He got fired though. The GM didnt get fired and he got promoted...they both got canned. :hmm:

Is it also not a red flag that the Kings didnt give a shit about letting Perry go to NY? He was only working for Sacramento for 2-3 months. A second rounder and some cash was all it took to get him to go NY. Sounds like buyers remorse. If he was really that good he would still be a Kings GM.

And its not about tank or compete. These guys in the discussion have no future and are already trash. Just wasting roster spots. The Knicks are already losing enough with them. Isnt it weird that they havent given Burke a chance yet? They have how many PG's on the roster....why is Sessions still on the Knicks?

Perry is just giving these guys charity with Dolans checkbook. It isnt helping NYK short term or long term.
taowave
Likes given: 835

Well,on Perry's behalf, he couldn't come straight out and say we will be going into full tank mode shortly.

We need some dam athletes
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 801

rebound wrote:Recently Perry commented to the media that the Knicks would not tank and are playing to win.
He has used 3/15 Roster spots on the following veterans:
Jarret Jack - 34 years old
Ramon Sessions - 31 years old
Michael Beasley - Almost 29 years old
One could argue that their ages don't matter as they are under 1 year deals, but it is showing the Knicks are no longer taking on unproven and lesser known players from overseas and the gleague but instead are signing players who are proven to be ineffective. Jack and Sessions should be out of the league based off their recent seasons and Beasley is a NBA journeyman. None of these players have any potential, what they do have a track record that shows they are ineffective players.

But let's look outside of the Knicks and into the Sacramento Kings.
Perry brought in George Hill on a mind boggling $60 mil/3 year contract. Hill is looking like the guard version of Joakim Noah: Old, injury prone, and overpaid.
He spent 12 million on Zach Randolph and also signed Vince Carter. Both these guys are a shell of their former-selves. Even with all that money spent the Kings are headed towards a bottom 5 pick, while declining veterans eat up a significant amount of minutes. Sounds familiar?

Of course a young team needs veterans. Except the Knicks had veterans: Lee, Lance, Noah, O'Quinn.

This might be an overreaction brought on by proven incompetent coach(see Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks 2016-2017) misusing players.
It's still concerning that Perry decided to guy with 2 washed up point guards instead of taking a chance on someone like Trey Burke and his signing of George Hill to an albatross contract.
Is this a joke :?
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
gradyandrew

Rebound, what does Jack have to do to get your respect? I look at him as the difference between 12 wins and maybe 5 if he's not here. Between KP being in the MVP discussion and his passive aggressiveccomments from last year, between us looking like a team and looking like mercenaries.We've had one of the best team FG% all season because Jack gets guys the ball in places they can score.

Franks cool and all but he can't run an offense yet. Most of the second unit scoring is more opportunistic. If he was starting he still wouldn't play 48 a night, so what's wrong with him learning how to play on a winning team? Look at Elfrid Payton. I mean he's never even had a vet mentor to tell him to get a haircut.
Randle in the Rafters
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 161

Yeah, I don't get the criticism of Jack's signing either. He has been playing well above expectations while being very vocal and mentoring little Frank. What's to hate? Frank still gets 20-25mpg and he knows he'll have to surpass Jarret before getting the starting job.

I'd also like to check if Burke is the real deal or another Jimmer. Sessions is useless anyway as primary PG and mentor as long as Jack stays healthy. I'm just not sure we have the pt to properly test Trey.

Beasley has been productive, but I don't like his tendencies to revert to Melo iso style when shit gets rough (that's precisely when I'd like to see the ball move even more).
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave

I get the criticism on a relative basis..Rondo would have been a good signing
Don Che

nope..he wouldnt.

too big of an ego...Jeff coaches young players very well and has done wonders with blue collar vets that take orders. Lee and Jack are having great years.

KP/Tim are also having career years
taowave

Ill take Rondo over Jack and Session 10 out of ten times,assuming you arent in tank mode..

I hear ya,hes a pain in the ass,but Chicago was balling in the playoffs till he went down.Hes a difference maker..
Don Che wrote:nope..he wouldnt.

too big of an ego...Jeff coaches young players very well and has done wonders with blue collar vets that take orders. Lee and Jack are having great years.

KP/Tim are also having career years
KRL

Who cares what Perry did in SAC??? Could it be that ownership ordered him to sign vets
to generate "juice" in their market? Until you know that stop talking about Hill's contract
Don Che

I like Jack because if Frank takes his spot....he wont mess witht he locker room.

If Frank takes Rondo's spot...i assume he'd cause problems after.
taowave

Looks like Rondo is taking Jrues Spot..
Don Che wrote:I like Jack because if Frank takes his spot....he wont mess witht he locker room.

If Frank takes Rondo's spot...i assume he'd cause problems after.
Koopa Troopa

KRL wrote:Who cares what Perry did in SAC??? Could it be that ownership ordered him to sign vets
to generate "juice" in their market? Until you know that stop talking about Hill's contract

Why ignore peoples resumes entirely? And not only that... coming up with excuses for his terrible signing of Hill. We should be critical. How many times have the Knicks been burned by horrible GM's?

I understand that we wanna give the guy a chance, but would you have hired him after seeing his resume? Would he even been on the list of potential hires? Or even to get an interview? I dunno.
Last edited by Koopa Troopa on December 11th, 2017, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.