Around the NBA 2017-18

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Harden was good, but I agree he's turned it up a notch.

Outside of individual postseason awards, it won't mean anything though unless he keeps his foot on the pedestal, come playoff time.

There's a rumor floating around the league that LeBron is headed to Houston. I'll believe it when I see it.
#TeamTank
Koopa Troopa

shakespeare wrote:Harden was good, but I agree he's turned it up a notch.

Outside of individual postseason awards, it won't mean anything though unless he keeps his foot on the pedestal, come playoff time.

There's a rumor floating around the league that LeBron is headed to Houston. I'll believe it when I see it.

Well its the crews last chance to team up. Melo can opt out too. Get Bron and Melo and maybe even D Wade. All these guys are best friends and wanted this forever. Wouldnt be that surprised to see them want to ride out the end of their careers together.
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:Harden was good, but I agree he's turned it up a notch.

Great post shakes. Interesting on how you touch on two of the more interesting arguments:

There have been many great players that did not win championships, including one admired quite a bit around these parts, Ewing. Yet, people will say you can't be "great" unless you win championships.
To all the people that call MD a chump....if Lebron did go there with "pals" and they won 3 out of the next 4 championships to throw on his already impressive accomplishments (coach of the year awards, etc.) would that then make him one of the greatest coaches of our time? The main thing that is brought up against him during discussions is his lack of championships.

So, he would go from chump to champ simply by a decision from Lebron. Not sure anyone's career should be judged like that but if you added a couple of 'ships to his resume I am not sure anyone could ever argue against him again.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Koopa Troopa

dcapodic wrote: To all the people that call MD a chump....if Lebron did go there with "pals" and they won 3 out of the next 4 championships to throw on his already impressive accomplishments (coach of the year awards, etc.) would that then make him one of the greatest coaches of our time? The main thing that is brought up against him during discussions is his lack of championships.

So, he would go from chump to champ simply by a decision from Lebron. Not sure anyone's career should be judged like that but if you added a couple of 'ships to his resume I am not sure anyone could ever argue against him again.

I dont think thats fair. I think Mike D learned from his past. Mike D of 2017 wouldnt let Marbury rot on the bench for example. The guy has grown. Give him credit for that, but dont excuse him for his failures here.
dcapodic

Koopa Troopa wrote:]

I dont think thats fair. I think Mike D learned from his past. Mike D of 2017 wouldnt let Marbury rot on the bench for example. The guy has grown. Give him credit for that, but dont excuse him for his failures here.
I think your opinion is fair koop, I just don't agree :) MD had extensive experience before he ever came to the Knicks and given the same set of circumstances might do the same today. It's not like I have seen any change in his coaching philosophy or his handling or other players since.

But I get where you are coming from. It is just many will not even acknowledge his abilities and accomplishments for silly reasons. Yours is not silly at all and I acknowledge that.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Koopa Troopa

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/gary- ... s-oakland/

Reading this excellent article by GP the other day and it made me wonder about the current NBA. The way GP got molded by the vets on his franchise, and how other teams treated him sounds way different to how it is in the modern times.
dcapodic

Koopa Troopa wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/gary- ... s-oakland/

Reading this excellent article by GP the other day and it made me wonder about the current NBA. The way GP got molded by the vets on his franchise, and how other teams treated him sounds way different to how it is in the modern times.
Thanks for posting the link, koop. God read. You are right, it is a different era, in and out of the league. Not too much tough love around, more the "hand holding, let's work it out and experience the journey together" type and everyone gets a trophy leagues.
shakespeare

spree#8 wrote:A good read on the Thunder (and why they shouldn't panic): https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... e-fixable/
You said it.

Don't look now, but here comes OKC.
#TeamTank
taowave
Likes given: 817

Melo is a completely different player,and Russ is back to being Russ..

Interestingly, they are a really good defensive squad
shakespeare

Did anyone see Westbrook's dunk on Thon Maker?

Nasty.

#TeamTank
taowave

WestBrook is NASTY...

Hes got that one handed dunk thing taking no prisoners

On another note,that Spencer Dinwiddie on the Nets is pretty dam good

shakespeare wrote:Did anyone see Westbrook's dunk on Thon Maker?

Nasty.

taowave

Cleveland about to give up 150 pts to the Thunder... Yikes

Edit...148
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1122

After Lebron steered the Cavs away from the TANK TRAIN earlier this season, the return of lil Isiah brought the Cavs back on the path of the TANK TRAIN
shakespeare

Why isn’t anyone taking about Miami and Young Whiteside?

Heat are 27-19 and, barring serious injury, looking like they might climb higher before it’s all said and done.
#TeamTank
spree#8
Likes given: 540

shakespeare wrote:Why isn’t anyone taking about Miami and Young Whiteside?

Heat are 27-19 and, barring serious injury, looking like they might climb higher before it’s all said and done.
Because they don't have a very high ceiling. They gave all their cap to lots of good role players without much star potential. Working as hard as ever and getting good results in the bad Eastern Conference, but they don't look like trouble for years to come. Just a nice, hard working, blue collar club. Basically better Pistons. Maybe they prove such thoughts wrong and we have to take notice.
#knickstape
shakespeare

I know some teams with All-NBA talent that do nothing but collect paychecks. That said, I’d trade Porzingis and Ntili for Whiteside and Dragic.

Not to mention New York has no cap space, either.

It’s okay to give Miami props.
#TeamTank
spree#8
Likes given: 540

shakespeare wrote:I know some teams with All-NBA talent that do nothing but collect paychecks. That said, I’d trade Porzingis and Ntili for Whiteside and Dragic.

God, that would jump atop to be one of the worst Knicks trades ever. Trading a 22 year old who is the best of the four together with your 19 year old point guard project for a 28 year old center without an offensive game and a 31 year old point guard? WTF is that? :? Worst trade idea I have heard in a long time.

Give them props without targeting anyone in trades. Please, Shakes, we want to build a younger, exciting team! BTW: we are right at the cap (and only if everyone opts in), so it won't be hard to create space at all - if that's what we want/need.
#knickstape
taowave

That's s bold move Shakes...

I was up for moving KP to the Celts for the rumored slew of draft picks and young talent,but wouldn't do it for Whiteside and Dragic..

Miami is suprisingly good.
shakespeare wrote:I know some teams with All-NBA talent that do nothing but collect paychecks. That said, I’d trade Porzingis and Ntili for Whiteside and Dragic.

shakespeare

spree#8 wrote:
God, that would jump atop to be one of the worst Knicks trades ever.
Aww, c’mon Spree, as a Knick fan, you’ve survived worse. Lol.

The trade is basically Dragic and Whiteside for Porzingis.

Ntili is filler.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

taowave wrote:That's bold move Shakes...
Thanks. Lol.

I’m confused though. You devalue Porzingis without fail. Yet, wouldn’t trade him for Dragic and Whiteside? So which is it: Does Porzingis own great value or not?

Seriously, I honestly can’t name the last time New York had a defensive minded center and a true point guard, at the same time.
#TeamTank