12/30/17: New York Knicks @ New Orleans Pelicans (W 105-103)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Ari_Ingus
Likes given: 0

Don Che wrote:Its astonishing that we have a player in the same realm as AD....think about that

My critique of kanter isn't bashing just concern because that's a HUGE decision this team has to decide on. And like I said from jump....the best big on our bench is Noah.

Pick 1 out of kanter kyle and willy. Get rid of the others. Noah should be the primary back up. He defends...high motor and IQ and passes. Also....untradeable mind as well play him
I really liked what Noah did. I really wish to see him more, I want KOQ or Willy to be traded, if not both.
NYGM
Likes given: 487

Good Win..

I don't get all this Hornacek bashing even though he found the right combination late to seal the win..

Played Frank over Jack when needed and Jack over Frank when needed too..

Also looked at Noah and kept him there to finish just like the game asked for..

KP looked more like the unstoppable Force he was starting the season..

Also agree with the Jack - Frank combo doing a great wor in this game..

Not sure WTF is happening with McDermott, he missed to many wide open 3's lately..

Finnaly we didn't have Kanter to counter Cousins but they didn't have anyone to contain TWB.. When KP and TWB (played solid D and rebounden well) are both ON this team is hard to beat..
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Don Che wrote:Its astonishing that we have a player in the same realm as AD....think about that

My critique of kanter isn't bashing just concern because that's a HUGE decision this team has to decide on. And like I said from jump....the best big on our bench is Noah.

Pick 1 out of kanter kyle and willy. Get rid of the others. Noah should be the primary back up. He defends...high motor and IQ and passes. Also....untradeable mind as well play him
This'll probably surprise you since I'm always talking about trading players for picks, and I still would but I wouldn't trade Kanter for the sake of simply trying to find an upgrade though. I think he's done well. We know he's not a star player, nor will he ever be. He's a grinder that we place next to our star PF. There are nights and matchup that are tough for KP, there are tough matchup for Kanter. Look at who we faced. The two best big men in basketball.

I don't think Kanter disappeared as much as has been said. He score 6 points but on 2of 4attempts and still have us 9 boards while we won the game.

I like Kanter, although I still would trade him (just not based off last night). Should he stay I'd simply carry out your plan of improving our wing situation.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Yeh its a delicate situation with him....I'd like to build a winner with him but a part of me thinks in today's NBA it won't happen
shakespeare

Does anyone know why Hernangomez was DNP.

Injured or Hornacek?
#TeamTank
Don Che

Hornaceck

Willy backing up kanter is redundant IMO...Noah brings a whole new element
shakespeare

Thanks.

I gotta believe one of our bigs is getting traded. But who?
#TeamTank
Ari_Ingus

shakespeare wrote:Thanks.

I`ve read on multiple sites rumors that KOQ will be traded. I like the idea, then we stay with Kanter + Noah.
Don Che

well the rumors is saying its setting the stage for Willy to play but tbh from what I see....Noah is by far the better fit to back up Kanter.

trade Kyle now...for future asset or a wing player

let Kanter opt out....let him walk...Willy takes his spot. and by no means am i saying Willy is better...but that line of thinking is the best business sense. 100%
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote:well the rumors is saying its setting the stage for Willy to play but tbh from what I see....Noah is by far the better fit to back up Kanter.

let Kanter opt out....let him walk...Willy takes his spot. and by no means am i saying Willy is better...but that line of thinking is the best business sense. 100%
That second paragraph though is the reason why we lost the trade. Why attempt to win with players you aren't bribing back anyway? If your willing to let Kanter walk to open up minutes for WHG then don't hesitate. Trade Kanter now for assets.

To me those are our options. Either you're part of our long-term or you should be traded. Why hold on to players just long enough to let them expire? I know the answer, because winning this season means something to you.
Don Che

well winning this season is actually happening...i wasnt gonna complain when i thought we were lottery bound so how am i as a fan of a team that i love gonna be mad when we are beating teams we arent supposed to?

I'd keep Kanter till the end of the year to fully give him a chance and see what this core can do...if we get the 9th seed(as we are now) then so be it..he can walk...if we get to the 7th seed...Kanter/KP/Tim/Frank(starts after the ASB) and shock the world and take down Boston/Toronto(obv not gonna happen) but i'd give this group a legit chance to show the NBA we arent jokes/KP that we are serious about giving him a chance to make a run/the fans that for once we are overachieving

i was team tank for years...to the point that half the fools i argue with now are the ones i argued with years ago. I totally get the tank frame of mind but that was when we had a bunch of old guys that KNEW we werent gonna do anything...i KNEW JR/Melo/Tyson werent gonna make noise...i KNEW that all the old guys were gonna break down and i also had a feeling we were gonna suck after it because those old guys retired. So in those years..i was all about the tank...prior to that we had a bunch of young guys.....but no alpha...i wasnt in it for lebron in 2010 i was in it for the draft ...i wanted us to take lower than Jordan HIll/Gallo etc. because none of those guys are alphas

......we land KP....i still felt we should tank and get a PG....we did. so now its all about letting those guys swing and see what they can do cuz no matter what...great wings are the easiest things to get in today's NBA...Kawhi/PG/Greek Freak/Derozan/Jimmy Butler/Dray/Gordon Hayward are all studs....and all werent taken top 5 in their class. So I'm gonna let my young guys play and let my scouts pick that third piece and bank on them to give us that final piece. 10-16 range has good wings...ive been following this draft class for a year now...so im just sitting back having fun and finally enjoying this team after 15 years of them not listening to me.
Championship 16/17

shakespeare wrote:Thanks.

The one with the most value, and that is Kanter IMO. I've been saying this back in Nov. Kyle makes like 4 million a year, your not getting anything in return unless you add a larger salary to him. Trading Kyle is a mistake.
Championship 16/17

Don Che wrote:well the rumors is saying its setting the stage for Willy to play but tbh from what I see....Noah is by far the better fit to back up Kanter.

Keeping Kanter until the end of the year and letting him walk makes no sense to me. If we make the playoffs, and if he even plays poorly in the playoffs he will be resigned just for the fact we made the playoffs. Trade him while his value is high at the trade deadline would be my suggestion, but the right player needs to become available. And upgrade at center or a small forward would be the player I would fetch in any Kanter trade. If you can't make either happen, you keep him and see how he performs under a full year.
gradyandrew

Champ, Kyle and Enes both have player options, so their fate is in their own hands. That also diminishes their trade value because a team might only get them for half a season.

Nazr, that's why I don't think either gets traded. Half a season of either isn't worth a first round pick. With two second round picks the Knicks don't need another.

I'm 100% with Don, just let this team finish out the season.
Randle in the Rafters
nazrmohamed

I get his angle and I often try to play devil's advocate myself, but to me once you've gone that route why would the scene after the credits be to just let Kanter walk is what I don't understand.

That's my point, I'll say it plainly. We aren't where we are on the back of KP and Frank, ok. We're who we are because Kanters grinding, Lee's making vet moves, Jack is an OG and when Hardaway gets back he's basically the second best player on the team. KP is putting up stats but he isn't really a leader in this team. So the guys most responsible are the guys Im trying to trade away and that's what you disagree with. That mentality. So in my mind I'm thinking you wanna keep these players long-term........but no. You'll just let them walk.

Doesn't that betray everything you just argued. See if we don't trade these guys this deadline well then F man, you already blew up my tank, might as well keep everybody together.
gradyandrew

[quote\ "nazrmohamed"]I get his angle and I often try to play devil's advocate myself, but to me once you've gone that route why would the scene after the credits be to just let Kanter walk is what I don't understand.

That's my point, I'll say it plainly. We aren't where we are on the back of KP and Frank, ok. We're who we are because Kanters grinding, Lee's making vet moves, Jack is an OG and when Hardaway gets back he's basically the second best player on the team. KP is putting up stats but he isn't really a leader in this team. So the guys most responsible are the guys Im trying to trade away and that's what you disagree with. That mentality. So in my mind I'm thinking you wanna keep these players long-term........but no. You'll just let them walk.

Doesn't that betray everything you just argued. See if we don't trade these guys this deadline well then F man, you already blew up my tank, might as well keep everybody together.[/quote]

The only two rotation players not under contract for next season are Jack, Beasley and Dougie Fresh. I think Jack has the most trade value as a solid backup PG for a contender, but tradinghim would sink the team. I think players would react by saying, "Same ol Knicks." Conversely, Jack won't be gettingany big offers next offseason so resigning him for 2 years at 4-5 per seems likean ok play, at least to have him as a mentor for Frank. Beasley and Doug are a tougher choice and the Knicks will have to see the market out there, but losing either won't fundamentally alter the team's chemistry. If you're management you have to think that if Timmy can play all season and a year together leads to tighter defense, the Knicks can play for middle play off seeding next season, ie progress.
Randle in the Rafters