2018 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Mikal brings more to a team concept in todays nba...even tho Miles is a better athlete and overall more talented.

I dont think Miles fits our squad really. Mikal does.

Trae...is a beast had 22 assists the other night
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Don Che wrote:Mikal brings more to a team concept in todays nba...even tho Miles is a better athlete and overall more talented.

I dont think Miles fits our squad really. Mikal does.

Trae...is a beast had 22 assists the other night
I would agree in the sense that Mikal is a very Spurs like pickup for us. It would be about trusting how you play as a team and then getting as guy who can slide right in and do what you want. I basically see him seamlessly taking Lee's minutes. Id even say he's sol good a prospect that it don't take him long, maybe by end of first year he's doing that and by year 2.5 he's better than we ever knew Lee to be.

Miles though I wouldn't discount. You could argue that should we be in positron to draft either of these guys then that means there's an aspect of our offense we don't have the skillset for. So in other words rather than simply assimilate a higher potential fit, perhaps we do need another premiere talent. Miles at least offensively is someone who can take pressure off KP on terms of carrying the scoring load. A true go to talent and while it's somewhat easy to say you want a guy to fit in, I see plenty of nights where I wish we had that upper tier scoring. Miles would be like getting a player who can score like Beasley can, but he could start at SF and has a long term future. And his defense isn't bad either, just not as good as Mikal
nazrmohamed

Another thing to think about is how often do go to players at Michigan State fail in the nba? Rarely. He may not end up a franchise player and actually most times they don't but they usually end up a top option or at worse 6th man level talent. Izzo runs an nba like system, his players are well coached and prepared. Miles already had a great nba body and athleticism and he'd be coming out a sophmore. The learning curve might not be that hard for him. I could easily see him starting between THJ and KP for most of his rookie year
CommonSense
Likes given: 13

I'm basing this on mock drafts but what's up with Jarred Vanderbilt? Well within our range and sort of seems like the player we could use. Anyone been watching this kid?
The future ain't what it used to be~Yogi Berra

Inaugural 2019 NYKFP Mock Free Agency Competition Champion :drunk:
Don Che

He's a lottery talent but hasnt played due to his injured foot.

6'8-6'9 skinny frame and 7'1 wingspan. high motor..real good rebounder in the AAU circuit against top talent...defended 1-5 in HS...in college/nba he has the talent to guard 2-5 moving forward. Shown great flashes as a passer and is coachable

to keep it simple....hes a tweener(like everyone else) not a good shooter so far and skinny frame.

personally i'd take a chance simply based off what he can do now...if he can make his strengths NBA level as a rookie...your looking at a steal in the mid 1st round. If he develops a jumper or ends up being a better passer than advertised...hes legit.

the sites compare him to Thadeus Young/Odom which i see physically but i kind of see a AK47 type guy based off frame/wingspan/motor.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Take a look at this kid, Isaac Bonga, a 19 y.o. German; 6'9", with 7' wingspan, long and athletic, a playmaker/slasher, has that element of the Greek Freak.

nazrmohamed

cragganmor wrote:Take a look at this kid, Isaac Bonga, a 19 y.o. German; 6'9", with 7' wingspan, long and athletic, a playmaker/slasher, has that element of the Greek Freak.

I like him in the second round. Needs to refine 3pt shooting but would be a good find with our second pick
cragganmor

Here's another interesting kid, Abdoulay N'Doye, a 6'7" PG with 7'2" wingspan. There's no recent footage, but he shone at the 2016 FIBA U18 tournament, where his teammate was our own Franky N:

Has the quicks and length to guard 1-3. His DX profile is pretty favorable:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Abd ... oye-84740/
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

As prospects, N’Doye and Bonga are intriguing.

New York should look into both players as a possible 2nd round pick.
#TeamTank
nazrmohamed

cragganmor wrote:Here's another interesting kid, Abdoulay N'Doye, a 6'7" PG with 7'2" wingspan. There's no recent footage, but he shone at the 2016 FIBA U18 tournament, where his teammate was our own Franky N:

Has the quicks and length to guard 1-3. His DX profile is pretty favorable:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Abd ... oye-84740/
I don't think he'll stay in the draft
Don Che

its always tough to gauge what euro's will do since they never play a lot anyway.
cragganmor

Kinda liking Wendell Carter, 6'10" with 7'3" wingspan, 257#, good shooter and passer. Only 19, looks like he has a lot of upside.
nazrmohamed

Me and Don have spoken about Carter and he likes him. My issue with him is that he's too traditional. Most everything he does comes inside the paint with the added skill of a set jumper.

How is that different than what we get from Kyle Oquinn really? I do feel he'll be better than Oquinn as his post skills are damn good. He's a good player, I don't wanna deny anyone that, so is Robert Williams. But they are that traditional Elton Brand type that end up playing C and idk......I gotta feel like we drafted someone that brings a new element. That's just me, so I'd be disappointed.
Don Che

i do agree with you but i think if he can develop a quality 3 point game...he'd be a good blend but I'd take a lot of players before him
cragganmor

Carter adding the 3 ball to his game is a reasonable assumption, has good form on his midrange shot. He's already a good passer and defender, so he passes the eye test of being multidimensional and a complete player.

Probably the last skill to round out his portfolio would be attacking the cup off the dribble.
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

#TeamTank
nazrmohamed

What's going on with Jared Vanderbilt. I'm not seeing him anymore on draft boards. I'd take him second round
cragganmor

Check out Melvin Frazier, a 6'6" sf with 7'3" wingspan, great motor and quicks from Tulane:

Besides a lockdown defender, he's also efficient, 58% fg overall, 40% from the arc, 3 apg. A versatile and complete player
Don Che

yeh saw highlights of his a couple weeks ago...def worth a workout
Don Che

cragganmor wrote:Check out Melvin Frazier, a 6'6" sf with 7'3" wingspan, great motor and quicks from Tulane:

Besides a lockdown defender, he's also efficient, 58% fg overall, 40% from the arc, 3 apg. A versatile and complete player

Thats the type of players id take in the 2nd round

plus athlete/multiple years in college/defensive principles

bring me JJJ/Melvin/Alize Johnson this draft and I'd be THRILLED